Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Old School Mojo SL Suspension advice

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  xc71 
#1 ·
I'v got an old 2008 mojo SL that has plenty of miles left in it. I've built the bike up as an all mountain bike rather than ultralight XC. Heavy free ride rims, Shimano saint cranks, and a a 2x11 setup. I'm looking to upgrade the suspension, both front and rear, and wondering what people's recommendations are for forks and rear shocks for this older model SL that I should be looking for. I'm looking to find deals on older model closeouts or used forks and rear shocks since most of the stuff that would fit this ride isn't made anymore.

#2 ·
A rockshox lyrik, or a revelation with the team damper are your best bets up front, since you don't have a tapered headtube. Make sure you go 15mm thru axle up front

Send off your old rear shock for a push industries / avalanche custom tune. It'll probably be cheaper than sourcing a shock.

Look into a DT Swiss RWS, or something bolt on for your rear QR dropouts. It helps more than you'd think.

#3 ·
Finding a fork in a desirable configuration will be a challenge. I'm still running a Mojo SL as well. I bought it in 2010 but it may be an 08 or 09. My old fork wore out, and I was looking for a 150mm, 15 TA, straight steerer fork. Not many out there. I totally lucked out on Pinkbike and found one in great shape for $140 Cdn. Keep your eyes out, they are out there. Sending a used fork in for a rebuild may be an option if Push or Avy can deal with them. Might be worth giving them a call now, let them know what you are looking for and ask if they can still service that type of fork.

#4 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I've looked at getting the rear Float RPL Pushed I currently have and was told they wouldn't do anything with it, I'll check out avalanche. 150mm, 15 TA, straight steerer fork is exactly what Im looking for and you're right - there aren't many out there which I was asking for some help on options. What fork model/brand did you end up with evdog? Also on the stock SL, I never changed out the lopes link or any of that, did you do that with yours?

#6 ·
I found a RS Revelation. I had gotten the Lopes link some years ago, and ended replacing it at one point again as I couldn't get the bearings out. My one disappointment with Ibis is they recommend replacing the links rather than just pressing in new bearings. I can normally get them in/out myself but one set in the Lopes link I couldn't get out.

Regarding the bolt on rear wheel, you can get wheels that have a bolt on through axle rather than the standard 9mm QR. It will be stiffer but also heavier. I've had that on DH bikes in the past. For what you're doing I'm not sure it is necessary, definitely the last thing I would be spending money on.

#8 ·
I have a 2008 Mojo SL, which I upgraded/replaced the fork and shock a couple years ago. I was fortunate to find a Float Factory 32 in 140mm (might be 150mm) on closeout. The shocks are the same dimensions as the new mojo 3 (7.875" length by 2" travel), so there are a lot of options in that department.

Fox makes a 150mm travel straight steerer 32mm stanchion fork in their Performance series. If you want a slacker HTA and a bike for bigger hits, Fox also still makes a 160mm travel straight steerer 36mm stanchion fork in the Factory series.

#9 ·
Try Fox for service too - I just had my (admittedly more recent) fork and shock done at Fox Factory East (was previously Suspension Experts) and they are great. I had my old SL shock and fork done there a few years back too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Similar story to evdog, I was able to score an older coil Van RC2 at 160mm off Ebay for my SL. Fox rear went off to Avalanche. Both were excellent decisions. Patience will pay off on the fork. I also did the RWS 10mm thru axle upgrade, seemed to make a difference, but I put it on at the same time as the Avy'd rear so, too many variables at play to say if it was worth it. If you hold the skewer and RWS in your hand I'd wager you would much rather put the RWS through the hub.

#11 ·
I bought a 150mm Fox RL on ebay and put the latest FIT4 CTD damper in it. It feels great compared to the 140mm RLC that come with the bike. Amazing that a few mm height difference up front can change the feel in such a good way.

Does anyone know if the RWS axle can be fit to the original Ibis hub?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.