Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Chaffing and saddle sores

6K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  chuckha62 
#1 ·
Anyone doing anything different for chaffing and saddle sores as you have passed 50? It seems like I struggle more with this as I have gotten older - same seats (10 yearsish)/shorts (chamois - 5-10 years old - possibly worn out?)/cream. Ridden about the same amount (3 -4 times per week) for several years. As I write this, I realize I should at least try a new pair of chamois - reluctant because I am cheap (and stupid)..

#2 ·
Holy ****! :lol: Throw your liner shorts in the trash and get some new, quality liner shorts or bib-shorts. Don't go cheap, but if you do, plan on trashing them in a year or so and replacing. Granted, hanging on to a beloved pair of socks for 5+ years is one thing but when it comes to protecting the twigs and berries, you gotta stay on top of that as the density in the pad gets bad, not to mention the quality of the fabric that's rubbing against your skin. Sounds like for the time being, you might consider the extensive use of Chamois Butt'r or an equivalent. There's a thread just started the other day on that subject somewhere around here.

btw...if you're nursing sores, try some Aquaphor available in the lotion section of your pharmacy/Walmart/etc. It's a bit on the light-greasy side but the stuff is magic in condition and healing skin conditions. I go through the stuff (recommended by my Dermatologist) for all kinds of mostly self induced skin ailments/cuts/scrapes/etc. It works!

#4 ·
I never use a chamois or tights. I'm deeply suspicious of their ability to harbour nasties, regardless of how well they're washed. I just wear cotton boxer underpants without seams under mtb shorts or mountain walking trousers depending on season.

On a 24 hour ride I'll use Vaseline - a smear along the creases of the body - and that does the job.

#5 ·
Um, if you've been riding that long on the right saddle you should not be having issues, honestly. The saddle I use lets me commute without any padded shorts 15-25 miles, use same saddle on all bikes I own, only really use bike shorts to keep the bits from getting knocked while moving about the place :skep: That being said, shorts that old are most likely not good anymore and may actually be wrinkling etc and causing the soreness, buy some new ones.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I plan on buying new (good) shorts on the way home today. I did notice on my commute this morning (20m of bike path) that changing position frequently helped - I realized that my tendency is to barely move around the seat at all and that could be a contributor too. I will look into some of the post-ride ointment solutions (already use the pre-ride stuff).

#11 ·
...I realized that my tendency is to barely move around the seat at all and that could be a contributor too...
Highly likely. Is the saddle height high enough so it's a support rather than a throne?

Have you considered a harder narrower saddle?

They can be more comfortable because you are not splaying your legs so much which I think is a contributor to chafe. If the saddle is hard then you're more likely to get out of it when you want to accelerate, and that lets blood flow to the places it needs to be.

I have wondered if there is a similarity between bed sores and cycle sores.

#13 ·
It was the narrow firm roadie saddle on my commuter that seemed to cause this. Just pulled one of my wtb saddles off a mt bike and replaced it. Not solved though. I kind of wonder if 'old man's butt' syndrome is a contributor. Saddle contact area is not the same any more.

#17 ·
I figured that would solve it when you mentioned your prior ones were 5-10 years old.

If riding for durations beyond 3 hours, I would suggest you reach for some Gold Bond Baby Powder and a glob of Chamois Butt'r to keep everything lubed up. And always wash the chamois after every ride.

All the best to a better backside.

#18 ·
I can't seem to ride with chamois, it makes the parts sweaty and soggy. Just plain too hot as well. I gotta be dry. I guess the ole roadie shorts just never really did it for me. I ride a moderately soft seat and have no issue thus far. I know for some the firmer seat is the answer but since I don't use a chamois lined short to provide the cushioning the seat is gonna provide it. Much cooler for the junk.

#19 ·
I have more problems on road rides than mountain since you're not up off your seat and moving around as much.

For long rides I lube up, just a dab where each sit bone rides on the pad, any sort of butt butter works ok, they usually are essentially lotion with antifungals in it.

If you do develop anything, diaper rash creams work well because they are primarily zinc oxide.

For 100 mile rides or multi day long rides, I'll double wrap in 2 pairs of shorts. I ALWAYS wash my shorts after each ride.

Anything under an hour, I usually just ride in regular clothes.

G
#20 ·
You're body changes over time and your stuff wears out. I went through this two years ago, new shorts didn't help so I went through several saddles to find one that fit without hotspots (ended up on Brooks B-17s). I use Chamois But'r just because of the moisture and heat that builds up on hot rides. I actually used that on my toes, hips and shoulders during a half-marathon with a rucksack on to eliminate issues with the rucksack rubbing and to make sure I didn't blister between the toes.

#23 ·
As much as I'm NOT a fan of Specialized and their business practices, they do make good products. In particular, for my butt is the Toupe' saddle. It works for my roadie and my mountain bike. That, good shorts and baby powder seem to work very well for me, even on long days in the saddle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.