Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Titus dead?

29 inches and Pissed Off!

Is Titus dead?

I have not been able to call on the phone or get them to answer emails. I sent a broken frame in for warranty and they now seem to be avoiding me.

Dan C.
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think everyone is getting the same response I have been trying since july
    Bob

mtbr member
    Yes. Titus died on the 13th of September in the year 0081.

Paste eater
    Yup, bombed the place last night.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Dan,

My apologies. We just completed a move of our facility, and the ball was dropped. I just found one of your original emails on the matter, and I'll be contacting you right away to make sure you're taken care of.

Jason

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That was me Jason, Thanks for getting to me, I am sure lots of people are glad to hear from you. I am awaiting the stays.
    Thanks again Bob from Pa

29 inches and Pissed Off!

I guess it's ALIVE.

Jason

I got your message and will be contacting you during your business hours.

Dan C.

Quote Originally Posted by jtylerhill1
    Dan,

My apologies. We just completed a move of our facility, and the ball was dropped. I just found one of your original emails on the matter, and I'll be contacting you right away to make sure you're taken care of.

Jason
    CaptainKana.com
    Mountain Biking.....Cheaper than a mistress.

Get out of town!

Great Customer Service!

Well without getting into specifics I can say I received great customer service from Titus today. I had a minor issue that needed to be resolved and emailed them. Within two hours they had addressed my concern. I have owned a Racer X 100 and now a Fireline Exogrid and support from Titus has always been top notch.

Wish I had the extra money to pick up a Motolite through one of the online web deals!
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

NOT Team Sanchez
    hooray! I'm stoked my fave bike co.'s still around!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    For a couple of sec before scrolling down...it got really scary

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I received an email from Jason as well yesterday. Glad to hear there is a pulse! Titus is the best and I really am looking forward to ordering a Rockstar!

Bike Addiction
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

searcher
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den
    For a couple of sec before scrolling down...it got really scary

Lol! Detto!
    Kovi

High Alpine Adventure

Is it really a good thing?

Well good to hear Titus is still hanging on. Looks like with the deals on Jenson now, the "China Strategy" is starting to payoff. At least for the consumer. I hope it doesn't impact the ingenuity and technical sophistication that Titus has enjoyed all these years. But alas, I suspect it will...

It looks like custom frame building and the unique blend of Ti and Carbon called Exogrid is now an after thought. Better to chase the dwindling markup on cheap fabrication done in cookie cutter style over in the land of a billion people than try to eek out an existance as one of the last "Boutique Frame Builders".... Oh well, maybe it is better to leave that to people like Brent Foes!

Guess it may be time to re-up on a Foes FXR or XCT... rode them for years and still is in my opinion, one of the best climbing 6" travel bikes out there. Can't beat a Curnutt in my book!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 10-19-2010 at 09:19 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

jms
    mtbr member

Enduring Design

I sure hope Titus sticks around. The basic design of the Racer X has been around for quite awhile, and to lose that development and lineage would be a shame. It's really a timeless, still relevant and still competitive full suspension bike design.

I've gone through the Racer X set-up thread, and it's really fascinating watching the RX evolve over the years, the improvements in each iteration and personal interpretation in the thread. I don't know of another full suspension bike design that has endured in the same fashion. It's somewhat akin to still being able to see the first Porsche 911 in the current Caymens - if you squint hard enough.

I have an 07 RX 29, that I've raced endurance raced intermittently for the last three years. It never failed me once in that time. It's got a lot of use, a lot of miles on it, and it's still trouble free, still quiet and free of play in the pivots and linkages. And having just replaced the original RP23 shock with a Push Industries Monarch RT3, it's as, or more capable as any "new" 29er FS race bike. I'm looking forward to using it again next year.

So here's to Titus past, present, and future. Thanks for a great bike!
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not hearing anything about a 2011 model line doesn't help dispel the rumors either, Even if it was just new colors would make us breathe a little easier.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Well good to hear Titus is still hanging on. Looks like with the deals on Jenson now, the "China Strategy" is starting to payoff. At least for the consumer. I hope it doesn't impact the ingenuity and technical sophistication that Titus has enjoyed all these years. But alas, I suspect it will...

It looks like custom frame building and the unique blend of Ti and Carbon called Exogrid is now an after thought. Better to chase the dwindling markup on cheap fabrication done in cookie cutter style over in the land of a billion people than try to eek out an existance as one of the last "Boutique Frame Builders".... Oh well, maybe it is better to leave that to people like Brent Foes!

Guess it may be time to re-up on a Foes FXR or XCT... rode them for years and still is in my opinion, one of the best climbing 6" travel bikes out there. Can't beat a Curnutt in my book!

Honestly, the market for Titanium bikes is drying up and fast. Titanium can be heavier than aluminum and carbon. Granted it has a nicer ride but so is steel and who wants a steel bike (except me). Personally, I am surprised that Litespead and other Titanium companies are still around.

Titus' aluminum bikes, for the most part, are welded in the USA. The EG is made in Taiwan. There is only one company making (affordable) carbon bikes in the USA and that is Trek. So China it is for Carbon.

Honestly, have you been to China or Tawain? China in particular, is starting to make the US look like a garbage dump. People are smarter, they work harder and the tools and methods people use to build things are a lot more advanced. We just have larger houses and more bankers. In our desire for money, we have completely screwed ourselves.

Bike Addiction
    I see only pollution and the Chinese government as greedy. But I don't live there so I wouldn't really know for sure. But have seen documentaries that show the smog and enormous amounts of pollution from the unregulated factories. But alas, propaganda is alive and well in all countries including ours.

At Work

As said above, Titus has been building their bikes here in the states since 2008. Only a few (EG) are built overseas.

Titanium built in the USA.

Might want to do some research.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 00sable
    I see only pollution and the Chinese government as greedy. But I don't live there so I wouldn't really know for sure. But have seen documentaries that show the smog and enormous amounts of pollution from the unregulated factories. But alas, propaganda is alive and well in all countries including ours.

Actually, the pollution is bad, no doubt. However, it is no worse than California in the 80s and the Chinese are trying to fix it. Also, I see the government as more willing to invest in infrastructure and the people than our government.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of the chinese government, but we have created a monster that is going to eat us and we have no one to blame but ourselves.

mtbr member
    When a place opens up, everyone wants a piece of the pie. that's China now.

The scariest part is when the whole world becomes so reliant on them for low cost production and one day they just decide that a 1 billion+ people in the domestic market is more than what they can supply and channels everything inwards after growing fat during these years of selling to the rest of the world....not referring just to bikes here. Just about every industry could and would be affected by then.

Look at the way they are snapping up steel for automobiles in the last 2 years...ever wonder why all the canned food using tinplates have just gone up in price?

Bike Addiction
    When a place opens up, everyone wants a piece of the pie. that's China now.

The scariest part is when the whole world becomes so reliant on them for low cost production and one day they just decide that a 1 billion+ people in the domestic market is more than what they can supply and channels everything inwards after growing fat during these years of selling to the rest of the world....not referring just to bikes here. Just about every industry could and would be affected by then.

Look at the way they are snapping up steel for automobiles in the last 2 years...ever wonder why all the canned food using tinplates have just gone up in price?
    Anvil I agree. I thought it was scary when the Prime Minister of Mexico said that they were losing manufacturing jobs to China (circa 2003) and that Mexico could'nt compete with the low wages of China. The fact that companies chase a lower wage is understandable but the effect to workers left behind is devastating in most cases. But the world will move on. Sorry for the rant.

@ Vesp I agree.
    Last edited by 00sable; 10-20-2010 at 11:52 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Anvil I agree. I thought it was scary when the Prime Minister of Mexico said that they were losing manufacturing jobs to China (circa 2003) and that Mexico could'nt compete with the low wages of China.
    True... Only that we have a President, not a Prime Minister.

It's a horrible situation creating a downward spiral. People gets less jobs, worst pay, we have to buy cheaper goods just to keep surviving and guess where they all come? Yup... China.

Heck, even formal commerce has to fight the income of counterfeit merchandise from China... and that's hitting the formal commerce. But again, people buy what they can afford and it's the cheaper good... less jobs, more crime.... and on and on and on.

Our government has put more taxes and duties to Chinese goods, to no avail... they continue to be cheaper and if not, there's counterfeit and illegal trading

Actually, if I would buy a bike jersey from the US, if the customs agent sees the label "Made In China" import taxes of over 300% (yup, that's right... three hundreds percent) will apply.

A good friend of mine who works for one of the Big Three car makers here in our Country, has mentioned me that getting a car built in China will set the company like 2,000 US Dollars once all is said and done.

To make matters worst... they're devaluating their currency. Our Peso is becoming stronger and makes us even less competitive... in turn it hits even the illegal workers who send their hard earned dollars as their families get less pesos for their benjamins.

Sorry for the rant...
    Check my Site

Bike Addiction
    No rant dude just setting thing straight. Sorry about my ignorance of your government. Not sure where I got minister from. My bad. Hope no offense was taken Warp. It wasn't intended.

Bike Addiction
    Vesp I saw this morning that China had invested in a high speed railway for their citizens. Definitely ahead of us there.

mtbr member
    Back to the title, Titus isn't dead right? Just a move to a new facility correct?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

High Alpine Adventure
    Sounds like it, but their response has been pretty slow. Just judging from the threads here, it sounds like they have been doing a lot of personnel cuts. I'd be interested to know how much of their production is still being done in the US (by Titus) and how much has gone overseas. It sounds to me like a lot of it has and more will follow. That gives you an idea on whether they are going to remain a "manufacturer" or just become a "design house".

Either way, Titus isn't the same company it was 2-3 years ago (custom boutique builder). I think we all agree on that!
    Dug-Da-Goat

"El Whatever"
    I'd be interested to know how much of their production is still being done in the US (by Titus) and how much has gone overseas.

Once again... The bikes made overseas are the EG and whatever carbon. The rest is USA made... SAPA, last I knew for aluminum and ABG and Lynksey were making their Ti fabrications.

That may have changed but not by a long shot.

Now, if you wonder if they sell more bikes from the overseas fabs or the USA made ones, that you can only blame it on the buyers themselves. It's the buyer who has the power to choose amongst the plethora of bike brands available nowadays.

Say, you want a trailbike and want to buy american... if you want a carbon one, you can always buy a Trek or Cannondale. If you want it in aluminum, there's Titus, Turner, Ventana, Knolly, etc. You want Ti, there's Titus, Lynksey, Eriksen, Moots, etc.

No, they're not the same Titus Cocalis sold... and now he happens to sell only bikes made overseas, but that doesn't seem to matter when discussing Pivots.

I also feel disappointed that Titus doesn't have a shop in house. I like better the bike companies that actually make bikes. That said, I'd buy a Titus again if the opportunity arises. I wish them well!
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    No rant dude just setting thing straight. Sorry about my ignorance of your government. Not sure where I got minister from. My bad. Hope no offense was taken Warp. It wasn't intended.
    Much on the contrary... I didn't wanted to sound that harsh. No offense taken and please receive my apologies.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nothing has changed with product and where it is made in the last few years. The El Guapo is made in Taiwan because of the advanced hydroforming that can't be achieved by Titus's U.S. alloy manufacturer.

The introduction of Asian sourced carbon was needed because like it or not, people want carbon and the good stuff is Asian made (including the other 'U.S.' brands that were mentioned here)

All the Ti stuff is now made by Lynskey, however some of the tubes (the hydroformed tubes on the fireline/FTM etc) are Asian sourced (because of the hydroforming again) and then fabricated in Chattanooga by Lynskey.

As for the company, they have moved and downsized staff, the CEO left yesterday and the current owners are considering their options on restructuring the company. All should become clear soon. One of the reasons they are in this position is a high level of carbon inventory and low demand for it (as is the general global demand currently for high end boutique mountain bikes).

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by gossa
    Nothing has changed with product and where it is made in the last few years....
    This sounds like reality and is right to my point. They have become a "design house" and don't build anything themselves. Don't get me wrong, some of the newer "designs" are pretty slick, but they have been relying on the Titus "brand name" and the tried and true Horst Link. This isn't innovation and it isn't custom build.

Hopefully they will hang in there, but it is pretty obvious that the market is saturated and there's going to be a whole lotta shaking out going on.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Nothing has changed with product and where it is made in the last few years. The El Guapo is made in Taiwan because of the advanced hydroforming that can't be achieved by Titus's U.S. alloy manufacturer.

The introduction of Asian sourced carbon was needed because like it or not, people want carbon and the good stuff is Asian made (including the other 'U.S.' brands that were mentioned here)

All the Ti stuff is now made by Lynskey, however some of the tubes (the hydroformed tubes on the fireline/FTM etc) are Asian sourced (because of the hydroforming again) and then fabricated in Chattanooga by Lynskey.

As for the company, they have moved and downsized staff, the CEO left yesterday and the current owners are considering their options on restructuring the company. All should become clear soon. One of the reasons they are in this position is a high level of carbon inventory and low demand for it (as is the general global demand currently for high end boutique mountain bikes).
    Honestly, I don't find this surprising. Titus should drop to three models. The X, the rockstar (rename this) and the EG. I hate to say it, but keep everything in aluminum.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Honestly, I don't find this surprising. Titus should drop to three models. The X, the rockstar (rename this) and the EG. I hate to say it, but keep everything in aluminum.
    That would probably leave them in a worse position then they are currently. The market moves very quickly, carbon is hot, Titus have done well to get in on it and others that haven't (Intense?) have suffered. In the UK over 20% of sales have historically been ti or exo so an all alloy model line would be restrictive.

I don't think the fact that they don't actually make stuff in house is an issue, they have the freedom to source from wherever can produce what they need. A sweet bike is a sweet bike. I don't care who makes it, i've got a ti EG and if it was make by Lynskey or even overseas, as long as it was the same weight, performance and quality I wouldn't really be fussed.

mtbr member
    That would probably leave them in a worse position then they are currently. The market moves very quickly, carbon is hot, Titus have done well to get in on it and others that haven't (Intense?) have suffered. In the UK over 20% of sales have historically been ti or exo so an all alloy model line would be restrictive.

I don't think the fact that they don't actually make stuff in house is an issue, they have the freedom to source from wherever can produce what they need. A sweet bike is a sweet bike. I don't care who makes it, i've got a ti EG and if it was make by Lynskey or even overseas, as long as it was the same weight, performance and quality I wouldn't really be fussed.

Now I am confused. So they have lots of carbon stock that no one wants? Do they just need to make a better mid travel (140mm) bike?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Now I am confused. So they have lots of carbon stock that no one wants? Do they just need to make a better mid travel (140mm) bike?
    Yep, they have a lot of carbon FTM's because the vendor shipped late and Titus missed the key dealer sell in period. Plus it seems U.S. dealers are still not committed to Titus because of previous model year closeouts through the likes of Jenson.

FTM carbon is a wicked bike but it is going against most other peoples geometry for 140mm bikes which makes it a harder sell.

High Alpine Adventure

Telling it like it is...

Wonder what these guys are up to?

http://www.asylumcycles.com/
    Dug-Da-Goat

searcher

Well. That sounds very confident and promising. I have a bad feeling about the price already.
    Kovi

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I like their schtick, now show me the bike.

Still no response from Titus, and yes, I want to give them money too.

Just briefly, the thing with MUSA, is that it provides an intangible quality. Pat Hus and company obviously missed that point, as did Dorel with Cannondale. Sure, you can still make bicycle units, and wholesale them to retail based profit centers, but you are no longer selling bikes to bikers, who love to bike.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Right on MCS. I guess it's just the way of things...passionate-and-talented individual builds small company making frames then sells the "brand" to investment company who eviscerates any soul to increase profit margins. As long as those individuals can keep starting new companies we're ok. I think the risk is carbon fiber tooling...the cost of getting "tooled up" might keep entrepeneurs from getting into the game. I hope not.
    whatever...

Paper or plastic?
    Yep, they have a lot of carbon FTM's because the vendor shipped late and Titus missed the key dealer sell in period. Plus it seems U.S. dealers are still not committed to Titus because of previous model year closeouts through the likes of Jenson.

FTM carbon is a wicked bike but it is going against most other peoples geometry for 140mm bikes which makes it a harder sell.
    I think that the problem with the FTM was pricing. It's hard to justify spending $2500 on a carbon FTM when one could get a Mojo for $2000. Both are great bikes (never ridden an FTM, but from everything I read, it's a great ride), but the Mojo has been around for a while with a neat suspension. My 2 cents. Anyway, I hope that the owners/management/employees figure out how to make it through this tough economy.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    I think that the problem with the FTM was pricing. It's hard to justify spending $2500 on a carbon FTM when one could get a Mojo for $2000. Both are great bikes (never ridden an FTM, but from everything I read, it's a great ride), but the Mojo has been around for a while with a neat suspension. My 2 cents. Anyway, I hope that the owners/management/employees figure out how to make it through this tough economy.

Great point. Even the Mojo SL, which is closer in weight to the FTM carbon is only $2150.

Titus needs to do something to differentiate itself from the crowd. The EG has been universally loved but has it sold well?

I noticed that Jenson was blowing out the 2010 models for $1500 and now they only have smalls left. If Titus can get all their bikes below $1800 they would do much better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I would agree Titus has failed to differentiate itself in the market over the last couple of years. The price point is high for their frames, but I believe the price of most frames is becoming unreasonable. Several frames are at or are approaching $2500 for the frame. I don't care if it is carbon, aluminum or Ti - it is alot of money. I actually purchased one of the EGs from Jenson for $1500 - the price was reasonable. It was that price point that made me "pull the trigger" on buying the frame. TItus has always made a good product and their bikes have always ridden well. Perhaps new leadership, a fresh marketing campaign, and a new price point will breath life back into Titus.

Bike Addiction
    Website is temporarily down. Hope to see some 2011's when it's back up!

searcher

Fingers crossed!
    Kovi

mtbr member
    The message being displayed is the usual surpassed bandwidth allocation message. It is NOT a website down for maintenance issue. They're either under attack (Doubtful. Why would you attack a boutique bike maker's site?), used all their allocated bandwidth up by the 2nd day of a month with legitimate traffic (assuming billing cycle starts first of the month) or there is some kind of billing or collection issue. i.e. They paid and the hosting company thinks they didn't or they didn't pay. There could be other reasons, but in my experience those are the most common reasons that these types of messages get displayed.

mtbr member
    Hate to say it but Braids is right. That is a message put up when the bill has not been paid...

mtbr member

Same message was up when they revamped their site last time

Trying to be an optomist here, its getting pretty tough though. That same message was posted when they did their big revamp in 09. Time will tell.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Trying to be an optomist here, its getting pretty tough though. That same message was posted when they did their big revamp in 09. Time will tell.

The rumors coupled with this website issue only leads to greater concern. Hopefully, the website will be back up with a new line up of bikes. I would hate to think I just bought one of the last Titus EGs.
    Last edited by JTBAZ; 11-02-2010 at 06:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    The rumors coupled with this website issue only leads to greater concern. Hopefully, the website will be back up with a new line up of bikes. I would hate to think I just bought one of the last Titus EGs.
    Great.. that makes your EG a collector's item. Wait for a couple of years and the price will skyrocket.

High Alpine Adventure

They all will be classics!

Quote Originally Posted by magixuser
    Wait for a couple of years and the price will skyrocket.
    That's what has me holding on to the Exo's.... Thanks TiEndo!
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member

Titus needs to do something to differentiate itself from the crowd. The EG has been universally loved but has it sold well?
    Not in my neck of the wood until the Jenson deal thats for sure. There's maybe a platoon of small green ones around now. Otherwise the 6" scene around here has always been dominated by other brands.

I think the overall marketing, not just about this one particular model is rather lacking. Each day I fire up the RSS feed of various bike sites for updates, its hard to find any mention of Titus...
    This may not appeal to all..but if its really bad times, somebody got to revamp and start gaining the attention of the masses.

1 out of 10 bikes sold to someone that can really appreciate the bike/frame is better than selling only 1 bike/frame to an appreciative customer and having 9 others in your inventory.

Ti is addictive
    That's what has me holding on to the Exo's.... Thanks TiEndo!

The bike I always wanted was that Isogrid Fireline they had prototyped a few years back. That was definately cutting edge and pushing the envelope with materials. I kept asking them if it was ever going to hit production and they kept saying it had more testing......The price if I remember being tossed around was even a bigger sting then a exogrid frame.

Maybe the ex-Titus Ti boys will hook back up with Vyatek as a Tubing provider and we will see a resurrection of Exogrid.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo

Maybe the ex-Titus Ti boys will hook back up with Vyatek as a Tubing provider and we will see a resurrection of Exogrid.
    If you look at the 'is exogrid dead' thread you will see that someone is doing just that...

At Work

Look at the bottom. That website was created in 2008. And is a dead site. Nothing really there.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

mtbr member
    Someone posted on the Titus facebook page that Titus has closed their doors. Hopefully this is temporary and after some reorganization, they can reopen and be a player again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

We the people ...

The website is down due to the site blowing through its bandwidth due to lots of usage. The site will be back up in the morning. I am assured Titus will issue a press release before the weekend with regard to the status of the company. Yes they are having some difficulties but they might come out stronger.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Is that why the shop in Tempe was closed yesterday , or was everybody out voting ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This really is too bad. I hope they come out okay and even stronger, but they really have to reinvent themselves in order to compete.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Titus has built great bikes. The Racer X, Motolite, Supermoto, Switchblade, El Guapo. They have really mastered the utilization of the horst link. It is tried and true. I hope they can reinvent themselves. Hopefully, they will receive some funding that will allow them to invest in some R&D, production and marketing. I have ridden alot of high end bikes and I have always thought highly of Titus.

High Alpine Adventure

Don't forget the Quasi-Moto...

Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    Titus has built great bikes. The Racer X, Motolite, Supermoto, Switchblade, El Guapo...
    Some here may think of me as a bit of a troll, but I've been riding Titus longer then you might believe. Here's a little history of mine...

Long live Titus!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is Titus dead?-p1010047web.jpg  

Is Titus dead?-img_3331web.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaGoat; 11-03-2010 at 10:04 PM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Someone posted on the Titus facebook page that Titus has closed their doors. Hopefully this is temporary and after some reorganization, they can reopen and be a player again.
    I saw that too. I've been checking bicycle retailer news and I've seen nothing posted there. If Titus was an ongoing concern they would or should have posted something here, facebook or made sure their webpage was up. If it is an ongoing concern and nobody from management has said anything to their customers then they have the wrong management in place and the problems will continue to happen. They don't even have to post a statement, just stay until all the emails in the support/warranty/voicemail inbox are answered is the minimum work management should be doing right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusukandy
    The website is down due to the site blowing through its bandwidth due to lots of usage. The site will be back up in the morning. I am assured Titus will issue a press release before the weekend with regard to the status of the company. Yes they are having some difficulties but they might come out stronger.
    Worked in telecom/ISP for years and I know what this means. Anybody else who has worked in web hosting or for an ISP knows what this means too. Looking forward to seeing the press release before the weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For what it's worth the site is back up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by synnie
    For what it's worth the site is back up.

Yeah!!!!

Get out of town!
    Just a quick follow up. I sent an email to Titus on Monday at 11:36am and received a response at 6:14pm the same day (they are 3 hours behind me):

Not sure why some of you are getting no answer as this has been typical of the CS I have received so far, and several years ago, when I had a Racer X 100. Good Luck to all of you though. Not trying to discount what anyone is going through - just wanted to give credit where it was due.
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

Get out of town!

Someone from Titus posted that? It would be unfortunate to see Titus go under but life goes on. I was just curious to know who posted, that would be more telling than the post itself.

mtbr member

It wasnt someone from Titus

It was someone saying "I heard Titus was closing the doors". Then "Andrew Foley" replied about the site being back up today and a possible press release by the weekend, probably the same guy that posted over here.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by titusukandy
    All I know is that Titus better get the story straight quickly or lose more sales. Few people will buy a boutique frame if they don't know whether the company will be around to support them in the future.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Is that player or PLAYA!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have emailed and left vm's for about 2 weeks now. No response.

Broke my shock-to-rocker bolt on the ML, would like to get a few replacements.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This was brought up in the thread "09 FTM Broken Swing link Shock Mount Bolt" someone just posted that an upgrade bolt can be had through push industries, I am going to check into it.

mtbr member
    The OP of this thread must have a crystal ball.....
    Draft College Republicans

mtbr member
    Yep.... looks flatlined -> http://ht.ly/355k2

I'm sure that Chris C. is VERY upset about this ! ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    They may never have been in this position if Chris hadn't left but that is not a criticism; just wishful thinking. This is too bad. I would rather have seen Ells or Chumba go...if someone absolutely HAD to. Titus was such a good company and cranked out some really nice bikes. They were also pretty innovative. Sad!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    They may never have been in this position if Chris hadn't left but that is not a criticism; just wishful thinking. This is too bad. I would rather have seen Ells or Chumba go...if someone absolutely HAD to. Titus was such a good company and cranked out some really nice bikes. They were also pretty innovative. Sad!

Well, I thought they were in this position and that is why CC sold the company.

Honestly, you look at how slowly Turner is brining the RFX out to market and you have to applaud him. He knows that if that bike does not sell he is dead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's possible. I don't know much about the inner workings of Titus, though I thought it was more of a political power-play move that caused him to leave or quit.

The Spot is Turner's biggest seller but the RFX is a "prestige" bike. He is right in doing all the tweaking he needs to, regardless of the ones who are vocal and taunting. The bike biz is tough.

mtbr member
    With the right management Chris's departure should not have mattered. I'm not belittling Chris's contribution to Titus by saying this, so please don't get your underpants in a bunch.

Read the Chumba forum. They seem to be having recent problems with customer support and a move too.

I don't know how Ellsworth made it past 2004/2005. I think they learned some hard lessons and came back quieter and better. Kudos to everybody there.

Ti is addictive
    Sigh.....Just to give some chronological history to Titus Inc.

1991......Formation and ownership by Chris C.(Think he had a partner in this at the time)
    2001......Sold to Vyatek full ownership
    2006 .....Departure of Chris C......2007 Formation of Pivot Bikes
    2008.....GAI Investments gains ownership from Vyatek
    2010.....End of Titus bikes.....possible rebirth??????

I have owned Titus frames from all three ownerships.....Chris C. was under the employ of Titus from 2001 to 2006....may have been a condition of his sale of ownership...only he can actually say. Formation of a bike company in less then a year of departure with full model line means something was a cooking long before he percieved forced exodus.....for crying out loud its taken DT 3 years to get the RFX close to release and TNT was a substitute for the DW iterations.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There will be plenty of people out there willing to point the finger and place blame as to who is/was at fault for the demise of Titus. I have my opinions and they are based in more fact than anyone here will ever know. It all boils down to two things. 1) Titus was never properly capitalized and 2) the economy made the high-end mtb market go very soft.

From the beginning Titus never had enough working capital to keep up with its growth. 2004-2007 Titus grew some 35+% year over year with peak sales having been reached in 2007 at more than $5M. However, the business had to rely on banking arrangements that allowed Titus to borrow money against its receivables (i.e. invoiced frames/bikes) for it's working capital. That model doesn't really work well in an industry as cyclical as cycling. For example, the Titus cash flow would be at it's lowest in the 3rd quarter as the summer selling season closed, yet Q3 expenses were the highest of the year b/c of marketing (trade show/new catalog website) and product development costs (new product tooling, etc.). Looking for help to alleviate this roller coaster, Vyatek Sports sold Titus to GAI cycles in March of 2008.

The only problem is that GAI never raised enough capital to buy Titus and make it successful. They saw this high-end, niche company with great historical earnings and figured it could sustain itself based on it's growth. So much so, they even built quarterly payments to Vyatek Sports from the sale of Titus into the Titus payables.

Well, we all know what happened in the summer and fall of 2008. The worlds economy basically imploded. 2008 Titus sales fell 35% from 2007. Titus was on the ropes. Sadly, the ownership group still thought that 30% growth or better was still possible. Sadly, they were wrong and at the end of '09 Titus was swimming in extra inventory because actual sales didn't meet the forecasts and something drastic needed to be done to ensure the survival of the company. That something was the blowout of frames to Jenson. Titus managed to grow 10% over the previous year despite the terrible economic conditions

While that move allowed Titus to continue on into 2010, it also was leading to it's ultimate demise. Entering 2010 Titus was trying it's hardest to fix things, but then some frame finishing issues from both the new carbon frames and Sapa aluminum frames cause shipping delays. Even I had to fly to China to correct the paint issues they were having, but it was too late because Titus missed putting new 2010 models on the sales floor until late March. Having missed an inventory turn at retail, the fact fewer dealers wanted to carry Titus because of the Jenson fiasco from the previous year and the general reluctance of retailers to inventory high-end frames and bikes because they didn't want the exposure was too much for the brand to handle. Without any cash tucked away for a rainy day, this is what you get.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Jeff
    I have my opinions and they are based in more fact than anyone here will ever know.
    Thanks Jeff for a well written explanation. It is sad that they couldn't get their arms around this. It sounds like GAI made a fundamental error in guarenteeing payments based on future earnings. But that's all history now....

Thanks again for taking the time to give us all an understanding of what happened.
    Dug-Da-Goat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    So is there any hope of Titus be revived in any way or it Titus truly done?

Paper or plastic?
    I don't know the facts, but personnally I would not count on it. How many investors out there are willing to plow a couple mil (or whatever it'd take) on a high end boutique mountain bike company? My guess is none. There are probably too many high end boutique shops out there anyway.

High Alpine Adventure
    I agree with Zorg... There's going to be more news like this over the next few years. There's just too many players out there in the market and the cost to produce a high end rig is just too high.

Not many people can justify spending $5000 on a Carbon Bling Mobile.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Paper or plastic?
    BTW, if you go on the Chumba forum, you get the same vibe. Plus, it's not like I see a ton of Chumba rides out there. I'd guess they'd be next on the chopping block.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    So, i wonder whats going to happen to my 400km old $10,000 Ti Rockstar thats been sitting in my garage waiting for a reply from titus about a warranty replacement rear end when the CF failed and nearly killed me?

Feeling ripped off? You betcha.
    2013 Giant XTC Advanced SL0 Carbon
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh man, that is the worst situation. I hope they send you a rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    KyJelly, if you need carbon repair contact give Calfee Designs a call. They do carbon repair on road and mountain bikes. I have personally seen two bikes repaired by them and they look great and hold up over the long term. That sucks about being left without any recourse on the warranty issue.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Thanks discodave - sadly, Im in Australia - and the CF failure is at the join where the stay rod joins to the dropout...

2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member

Hope vs Reality

So is there any hope of Titus be revived in any way or it Titus truly done?
    Even if its revived, it remains to be seen what it will be like under a new management.

Guess many here including myself would like to see "business as usual", with a "new" Titus rolling out fine bikes and gets to tell a success story later... Sadly instincts say I will camp with Zorg and Goat on their view that chances are slim.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Guys there are discussions and plans as we speak, some with outcomes that could be extremely well received by all here if they come off so don't all presume the worst.

Even if nothing happens with the company, International distributors are now communicating directly with factories for spare parts etc to try and keep customers rolling who may have failed parts. Everyones working hard to try and keep Titus bikes on the trails.

The next week to ten days will dictate the future of the company.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
    Despite the crap Im being dragged through, I hope it works out for them. Sucks to hear good people going through ****.
    2011 TCR Advanced SL
    2012 Omnium
    2013 29CX Frankenbike

mtbr member
    Even if its revived, it remains to be seen what it will be like under a new management.

Guess many here including myself would like to see "business as usual", with a "new" Titus rolling out fine bikes and gets to tell a success story later... Sadly instincts say I will camp with Zorg and Goat on their view that chances are slim.
    Bought a 2001 Silk ti in, well, 2001. Ibis closed it's doors the next year. A couple years later Ibis was revieved and I was stoked about getting an updated Silk Ti with a four inch fork, but that never happened because the Ibis of today is not the Ibis of 2001. I should have just ordered a customer from Castellano.

The point: If Titus does come back it probably won't be the same Titus. It could be a smarter run Titus though.

Bike Addiction
    Edit:

mtbr member
    Guys there are discussions and plans as we speak, some with outcomes that could be extremely well received by all here if they come off so don't all presume the worst.

Even if nothing happens with the company, International distributors are now communicating directly with factories for spare parts etc to try and keep customers rolling who may have failed parts. Everyones working hard to try and keep Titus bikes on the trails.

The next week to ten days will dictate the future of the company.

I'm pretty alcohol-free these days. But if the bunny pops out of the hat, I'll certainly drink to that.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Titus Jeff
    There will be plenty of people out there willing to point the finger and place blame as to who is/was at fault for the demise of Titus. I have my opinions and they are based in more fact than anyone here will ever know. It all boils down to two things. 1) Titus was never properly capitalized and 2) the economy made the high-end mtb market go very soft.
    Thanks for the thorough explanation, Jeff!!!

There are golden lessons to be learned here...

- We don't need NEW models every year. While a brand should bring something new to the table to attract customers, it can not be every year for every model. Cars don't do that, motorcycles don't do that. They have figured it out since long ago.

- People can't continue paying 6,000 for bikes. It just doesn't work like that in a world economy so beaten like it is now.

I hope Titus a successful rebirth even if they're not the same... actually, I hope they bring a better Titus. Back to actually making bikes. And I also hope no more bike companies go down the drain.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    [QUOTE=Warp]Thanks for the thorough explanation, Jeff!!!

- People can't continue paying 6,000 for bikes. It just doesn't work like that in a world economy so beaten like it is now

It is amazing to think how expensive bikes have become over the last five years; particularlry the last two years. I have always enjoyed mountain biking; but it is becoming so expensive. The price of frames and parts is becoming unreasonable and $6,000 is becoming more of the norm for a nice bike. I believe several other bike manufacturers will have the same fate ast Titus.

searcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Thanks for the thorough explanation, Jeff!!!

There are golden lessons to be learned here...

- We don't need NEW models every year. While a brand should bring something new to the table to attract customers, it can not be every year for every model. Cars don't do that, motorcycles don't do that. They have figured it out since long ago.

- People can't continue paying 6,000 for bikes. It just doesn't work like that in a world economy so beaten like it is now.

I hope Titus a successful rebirth even if they're not the same... actually, I hope they bring a better Titus. Back to actually making bikes. And I also hope no more bike companies go down the drain.
    Well said Mexicano!
    Prices of bikes and the parts are getting crazy. Look at the adjustable seatposts. Everybody started to make them,and instead of their price going down , they are crazy expensive. What could cost 300 green in a seatpost??
    Kovi

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I agree in principle with the above. Not sure adjustable seatposts are the best example. Unless my memory is really screwed, I think they've always been right around the $300-ish pricepoint.

I was a fairly early adopter of the Gravity Dropper years ago and pretty sure I paid around $275 for it. Whatever, the price it's worth every penny.

The $6,000 price for high-end builds is absolutely nuts, though. Particularly with the sort of abuse these rigs take. If I can get a frame to last a year or 18 months, I feel lucky.

mtbr member

Bikes are WAY too expensive.

I had a friend who recently had his 2010 Delirium stolen, it was pretty trick. Anyway, his homeowners covered the replacement but get this $8K! at full retail. Delirium frame with RC4 $2900, Marz 66 Ti, $1100, I9's $1000, Reverb $300, Headset/Bars/Stem $400, Podium Pedals $200, thats almost $6K right there! No seat, tires, cranks, der./shifters, brakes. I was in a Yamaha dealer the other day getting some fork oil, a YZ450 is only $8K! I think there is much more material, engineering, & RD in a motocross bike. Its getting out of hand. The technology and materials shouldnt cost that much. I mean $1K+ for a fork! Come on, you take them apart and there is nothing to them and half the time they arent put together correctly or with the correct fluid levels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I had a friend who recently had his 2010 Delirium stolen, it was pretty trick. Anyway, his homeowners covered the replacement but get this $8K! at full retail. Delirium frame with RC4 $2900, Marz 66 Ti, $1100, I9's $1000, Reverb $300, Headset/Bars/Stem $400, Podium Pedals $200, thats almost $6K right there! No seat, tires, cranks, der./shifters, brakes. I was in a Yamaha dealer the other day getting some fork oil, a YZ450 is only $8K! I think there is much more material, engineering, & RD in a motocross bike. Its getting out of hand. The technology and materials shouldnt cost that much. I mean $1K+ for a fork! Come on, you take them aparto and there is nothing to them and half the time they arent put together correctly or with the correct fluid levels.
    I agree with all of that. It's even worse in the case of some big box companies. 7k for an s-works made overseas. Terrible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0