Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Interbike Dirt Demo Breaking News.

The dirt demo at I-bike has been going on for over FIVE hours now and I can't believe we don't have any reports of the new RFX yet.

Just sayin'.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    KRob,

I did see built up RFX prototypes at Bootleg. I don't know if DT will let anybody ride them. Maybe Jeff(his local dealer) can help me out .
    If you were here then that wouldn't be a problem.

mtbr member
    Seriously. True Homers would have that stuff up already.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedsdoc
    KRob,

I did see built up RFX prototypes at Bootleg. I don't know if DT will let anybody ride them.
    Could you tell if it was last year's prototype or a new one? Maybe DT would let me take one out if I were there....you know, because I'm so special.

But I'm not.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

No, that's not phonetic
    I think you're special.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

Here it is

Yes it (the new design) is here. The problem is that they were still trying to iron out some details on the build. Will post pictures shortly...

Edit: Here's the RFX Proto that will be on display during the actual show:
    Last edited by 2TurnersNotEnough; 09-20-2010 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added picture

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Singletrack has some of the first details I've seen

Interbike Turner 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    me likey. much simpler than the other proto, imo. looks like a turner...

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TurnersNotEnough
    Yes it (the new design) is here. The problem is that they were still trying to iron out some details on the build.
    WHOLLY FUGGIN WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!
    looks just like a 5 spot with PROTOTYPE RFX stickers on it. Guess it was good enough to fool you. The pics are not blowing me away, fanboi. Guess I'll put my $2800.00 towards something more usefull, like two frames for the price of one. Keep hanging on the turner member, maybe you'll get a discount on your next purchase.
    Wow, not. thanks all you guys, for hanging in yet another year of wasting your time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Yes it (the new design) is here.
    Wonder if there is room for a coil shock? Looks tight.

mtbr member
    I like last years proto better. Perhaps the 2012 proto will be the BEEZKNEEZZ.

Sorry not jazzed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    looks just like a 5 spot with PROTOTYPE RFX stickers on it. Guess it was good enough to fool you. The pics are not blowing me away, fanboi. Guess I'll put my $2800.00 towards something more usefull, like two frames for the price of one. Keep hanging on the turner member, maybe you'll get a discount on your next purchase.
    Wow, not. thanks all you guys, for hanging in yet another year of wasting your time.
    Oh oh, someones going full Jaybo.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

No, that's not phonetic
    looks just like a 5 spot with PROTOTYPE RFX stickers on it.
    Been there. Done that.

30-ton War Machine

Why don't you go cut yourself and see if it bleeds, ya whiney c***.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ride_nw
    Wonder if there is room for a coil shock? Looks tight.
    Asked about that, and the answer is yes.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    People wanted to see it, I put a picture up. WTF were you expecting? Another hydroformed frame manufactured offshore?

Moosehead
    Guess I'll put my $2800.00 towards something more usefull, like two frames for the price of one.
    Not. It took you 10 years to actually purchase any new bike. Even if you happened to have the $2,800, you'd spend it on beer, or custom bash guards.

Nice Indian Summer, eh? I presume since you're still your cranky 'ole self that you were safe from wild fires?

trail fairy
    RFX proto!
    Dig the headtube
    Dig dropouts
    Dig the Taco
    Dig the Reverb
    Dig the Raw
    Dig the DHR style headbadge too, nice touch, the old style is old hat, this is so Turner and classy functional..
    Dig the welds and PM into dropouts nicey nice!

The travel is good! and lots of fork options and headset options for conventional to extreme angle sets yeahaaaaaaa..

Not so sure about the rear D cable going through the chain stay seat stay brace inside the tube zippy might still be better for ease of replacement etc? See that feature is on the sulty too?

Def prefer the RFX V1 proto 2 that SR/SS were bashing in the pix some threads back though myself, the GEO is key [hopefully still 66deg! and ability to run coil shocks 8.5"x2.5"

Besides!
    The DHR has replaced the Highline and old RFX
    Last edited by trailadvent; 09-20-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Moosehead
    +1 agree with TA - Dig Tacos. But gotta ask TA, what is the Reverb? Spot also has the thru stay cable run, works well actually, think that was a late '09 or '10 upgrade tweak across the line.

Can't believe no one has mentioned the carbon rims yet.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead
    +1 agree with TA - Dig Tacos. But gotta ask TA, what is the Reverb? Spot also has the thru stay cable run, works well actually, think that was a late '09 or '10 upgrade tweak across the line.

Lol new that would get someone hehe.

Srams seatpost!.

Oh if that route works!

Carbon smarbon, I agree with DT def worth it on the Sultan, though if I would afford the bones, maybe I'd do it on the Spot, but then It would go against my working class MTB attitude lol, can;t have that, even Rene would have me banned then

But I am enjoying the carbon at the high end the pro's are using, just not for me! and as long as DT still does an alloy Turner Im in, and carbon for those that want carbon if thats the future, I'm all about options and Geo

Rene next stop please

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

It's actually called "the burrito" in their literature. The Reverb is the new RockShox telescoping post. Zero play, hydraulically actuated (uses the same button mechanism as the Reba XX fork). In other news, all frames are either anodized or raw. No PC bikes this year. The Enve wheels are now standard on the high-end parts spec.

Also rode the new Sultan today. Let's just say that I'm pretty sure that my current one will be for sale in the foreseeable future. Slacker HA, 44mm HT that will work with a tapered fork, and the large now has a 23.6" TT that I really liked (I'm 5'10"). Hopefully I will be granted fanboi access to one of the RFX protos tomorrow, so that I can ride a bike that I really have no business owning (and to tell all of you how it's the greatest all mountain trailbike ever).

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Been there. Done that.

With my limited knowledge of Turners, I thought as well that it was a 5spot, but it has a different reinforcement between the top tube and seat tube, and it has a 1.5" headtube, I think based on the actual review in singletrack.com.

Moosehead
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    ...and it has a 1.5" headtube, I think based on the actual review in singletrack.com.
    I'm dumb enough not to realize 44mm = 1.5 for the HT until reading the article and then double checking a dual metric/murican ruler.

So recall DT said 44mm bores in a straight sided HT for the 2011 Slack Spot. Is this also a 1.5 or something different?

trail fairy
    I'm dumb enough not to realize 44mm = 1.5 for the HT until reading the article and then double checking a dual metric/murican ruler.

So recall DT said 44mm bores in a straight sided HT for the 2011 Slack Spot. Is this also a 1.5 or something different?
    they just like to confuse us, its been metric here since before I was born, took me ages to get used to imperial US std now they start mixing imperial and metric just to confuse us./me. try all that with a brain hemorage

2Ts sounds good, even I might get exited about big wheels, not that I can afford it, but gotta love this time of year, this ones been a long time coming, yeahaaa

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What is taco ?

mtbr member

Dude, it looks like a Turner (do the Flux or Spot look much different). That is a good thing. I bet it rides a lot like a Turner. That is also a good thing. What the heck did you expect?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I like it a lot. Pure understatement, as it looks like a 5.Spot.

aka DJ Papi
    I like it a lot too... I cant wait for the ride report... 2TNE, ride it hard then report back... cool!!!

Yes, that's fonetic
    Geez, when and why did Renegade turn into such a dick? Dude, we get it. You don't like Turners anymore. Now go away.
    Last edited by whoda*huck; 09-21-2010 at 12:52 AM.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by as is
    What is taco ?
    The brace between the seat mast and the top tube! and something ya get @ taco bell, oh have not had taco bell in years dam it

Mexi food is my fav too...

I love the look of the angles in this photo behind the Sulty

Personally as much I I liked the V1 proto, the V2 proto ticks all the boxes and thats good enough for me!

Why I loved the look of the v1 Proto so much was that to me it was still Turner esk but also unique in the line, and ya know I'm all about unique, but with out the ponie tail, and why the Highline was so awesome, totally Turner nothing else like it and the best looking frame in the line!

Still this one will go like a cut cat me thinks and its growing on me all the time. Dam you DT, I'm going all sleepless in Seattle over the DHR now this!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

No, that's not phonetic
    Since a lot of Uhmerikun companies have moved their production overseas, Portland OR has a lot of bead blasters and anodizers sitting around idle (when they aren't over at Jaybo's rolling a doob). DT took advantage of capacity being vacated by others, so ano and laser etching are now standard.

I still prefer raw.

mtbr member
    did DT go 130mm of rear travel in the new sultan to balance better with the 140mm forks? did you try it with a 140 or 120mm fork? thanx!

Also rode the new Sultan today. Let's just say that I'm pretty sure that my current one will be for sale in the foreseeable future. Slacker HA, 44mm HT that will work with a tapered fork, and the large now has a 23.6" TT that I really liked (I'm 5'10").

banned
    Apr 2010
    The homers will have to buy reducers to be able to still use their 1 1/8 King headsets.

mtbr member
    Been there. Done that.

Oh no! Now you'll open a hole in the spacetime continuum.

Doncha know that you are not to mess with DW-link as it's only fractions of millimeter away from catastrophy?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    The homers will have to buy reducers to be able to still use their 1 1/8 King headsets.

I thought the Cane Creek 110 is the new King.
    I think if one forks up for the RFX may as well add an angle set to the deal .
    Oh well, guess I have to start saving .

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Another short report, but not riding-report.

http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...rototype_10392

6 month to wait, ~ USD 2.500,-- to pay, doesn't sound as hard as expected.

I hope, someone will post a riding-report soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Any more pictures of the other 2011 models? Sultan, Flux etc...

banned
    Apr 2010
    142? That ought to piss off a few, like the tens of homers with Kings.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Doesn't Chris King offer a convertion kit?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrolens
    Doesn't Chris King offer a convertion kit?
    This is correct, so it's a non-issue.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

44mm is the ID of the head tube used for Zero Stack (Cane Creek) or Inset (Chris King) internal headsets. I'm thinking (don't know for sure) that since the bottom cup on the tapered set up can take a 1.5" section of steerer, that a top cup could be fashioned to allow a full 1.5 steerer tube. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Quote Originally Posted by starre
    did DT go 130mm of rear travel in the new sultan to balance better with the 140mm forks? did you try it with a 140 or 120mm fork? thanx!
    It's still 120mm. Changing the rear travel with the DW Link design is a much bigger deal than the old rocker bikes, so the 2011 is a relatively minor update. The Sultan I rode had a tapered 120mm Fox. So it was similar to my current Sultan with a 120mm Reba, but the shorter TT felt better to me.

Quote Originally Posted by emrs0414
    I like it a lot too... I cant wait for the ride report... 2TNE, ride it hard then report back... cool!!!
    Hopefully somebody with real skills and experience will report back. I'll hopefully get to try it out on some of the more interesting (to me) lines to get a sense of what it can do. But the only long-ish travel bike I've ridden much is my old 2000 RFX that's been upgraded with 6" rockers and a Lyrik coil fork. So I'm pretty sure my opinions won't be particularly useful.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The RFX looks sweet. Fits the lineup perfectly.

Not thrilled about shorter top tubes on the Sultan (long torso here). V2 was already a bit shorter than V1. It will screw me up for 10 minutes, after which I'll never think about it again.

I don't think Sultan HT angle changed. Just the EFFECTIVE angle when paired with a longer fork (120 used to be the standard used for measuring).

I want to try a different, better headset, but my King is only in its fourth frameset (about 8 years old), so it may be awhile, yet.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Is that a Shimano 2x10 crankset/drivetrain I see on that badass looking Sultan?

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon
    Is that a Shimano 2x10 crankset/drivetrain I see on that badass looking Sultan?
    Yep. 2011 XTR on the new über build kits that the show bikes are built with.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Last edited by rr; 09-30-2010 at 12:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yep. 2011 XTR on the new über build kits that the show bikes are built with.
    Any idea of the chainring combo numbers?

Looks like the DW link is now 1 piece on the DHR proto. Is that something else that has changed on the Sultan, 5 Spot, etc?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Looks like the Fox Boost Valve RP23 shock on both the Sultan and RFX. Will the Boost Valve shock be standard on all models now?

loud hubs save lives
    I feel that your old V1 sultan that i've been rocking could get traded in in this!

44mm is the ID of the head tube used for Zero Stack (Cane Creek) or Inset (Chris King) internal headsets. I'm thinking (don't know for sure) that since the bottom cup on the tapered set up can take a 1.5" section of steerer, that a top cup could be fashioned to allow a full 1.5 steerer tube. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

It's still 120mm. Changing the rear travel with the DW Link design is a much bigger deal than the old rocker bikes, so the 2011 is a relatively minor update. The Sultan I rode had a tapered 120mm Fox. So it was similar to my current Sultan with a 120mm Reba, but the shorter TT felt better to me.

mtbr member
    Interesting to see the RP23 on this bike. I'd like to know what the coil option(s) will be for the stock RFX build kits to be offered by Turner; and what the upcharge is gonna be . . . .

Moosehead
    I've seen Ignazjr absolutely shred the gnar, up and down, on a now obsolete 68.5 degree HT 2010 Spot. Effortlessly, with max speed, and a smile. He might even have been talking, waving, eating a sandwhich, and drinking a DPA.

Imagine what a rider like that could do with the Slack Spot or RFX. Jeebus.

The Sultan looks killer too, and I'm shallow enough to admit liking the ano. See Marshall Willanholy's DHR, but be prepared to have to clean your shorts.

I predict endless threads such as: "my rig vs. RFX", or "my carbon DH vs the DHR", or my "knock off dual link with pedal kickback galore vs Spot", or "trade my 2010 Turner whatever for the 2011 version?". I also predict lighter wallets courtesy of Turner Suspension Bicycles. Loss of market share, my arse.

This is gonna be beyotchin. Bring it.

mtbr member
    Yes! Now we're talking. Love the new RFX proto.
    Taco/Burrito looks way better than the old style imo
    1.5 ht yes.
    Rocker does not encroach on scrotum area. ++
    No cable guides for adjustable seat post? Hopefully just an oversight on the proto. (Edit: thanks for the additional shot 2T. I see them now)
    6.5" travel: Perfect
    Edit:HA = 66 degrees according to Singletrack.com That's with a 180 TALAS/Float I assume? That's about perfect. That means a Lyric 170 would be closer to 66.5 and a Float 160 would be around 67, right?
    Would like to find out some numbers: HA, BB height, CS length. TT length in various sizes. This one looks to be a medium?

Is Dave not letting the Proto go out at all? I'm sure there's a few he's trusting it with.

Note to my buddy Russel who is in attendance: Go beg!

WRT the Sultan: I like the shorter head tube and tope tube. At 5'11.5" the v.2 large felt a bit big to me. Looks like I'm back on a large.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-21-2010 at 11:24 AM.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Yes it (the new design) is here. The problem is that they were still trying to iron out some details on the build. Will post pictures shortly...

Edit: Here's the RFX Proto that will be on display during the actual show:
    Great, just great. Just when I was set on an 2011 Spot this gets posted up. Well, at least it won't be available for a while, & the Spot still kicks a$$

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    142? That ought to piss off a few, like the tens of homers with Kings.

I'm sure there are some people *****ing that they cannot get a high end fork with canti studs too.

If you're dropping 2500$ on a frame plus another grand on a fork in order to build the absolute latest and greatest high end rig on the market today, what is the big deal about buying a new hub?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Asked about that, and the answer is yes.
    Sweet! I'm glad to see the full 1.5 HT and the rear end does not look like the previous prototype (aesthetically speaking). I have a feeling this bike will be a shredder.

And actually I am pretty glad they didn't release it right away with the first wave of 5 spots because we are on dw 5 spot revision 2 now, so they have learned some things along the way and made refinements.
    Last edited by ride_nw; 09-21-2010 at 11:10 AM.

No, that's not phonetic
    No pics of the Spot? I was hoping we could hear from the 44xx spazoids.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Found some more photos and details here:
    http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...88&gallery=235

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Here's a shot of the other side. The picture size is making the detail hard to spot, but the dropper post guides are there.

The RFX protos didn't go out yesterday because they were still working on the final details with the builds. I hope somebody with more riding and discernment skills than me takes one out and reports back. I'm hoping to play around on one today, but we'll see...

mtbr member
    looks just like a 5 spot with PROTOTYPE RFX stickers on it.
    And this is a surprise why? Have you mopes been too busy hating to actually look at the rendering that's been on the website for several months now? Yeah, it looks like a beefed up 5 Spot with more travel/aggressive geometry; isn't that what the RFX has always been?

I like what I see so far, especially the BB height. Even with a 180mm fork, it appears to be easily sub 14" (those tires measure ~13.5" in radius). I just hope tire clearance is still good with such big wheels, kind of a tight fit getting them in the '08 rear.
    ''It seems like a bit of a trend, everyone trying to make things longer over the last couple of years" Sam Hill

trail fairy
    You should never remove a headset to buy a new frame anyways, no no, not when investing that sort of cash, plus pass on the good stuff with existing frame, no telling what some butchers might do when removing and installing second hand stuff, all my turners have been sold with my HS, I;d never pull that **** on someone ..

junktrunk 142? That ought to piss off a few, like the tens of homers with Kings.
    Without sounding like a faniboi and I'm still not overly fussed about 142mm the dropouts do look sweet, least they're is easy to use adapters for nearly every wheelset available so no major with an existing wheel, only thing I can see as something to be aware of, will this also require an upgrade to 12mm axle? or option for 10mm, QRs are out with 142mm syntace system and that's the best news lol.

Thats 2 more costs to add. e.g spacers and 12mm axle conversion, my Hadley's handle that but that's already nearly a couple of hundy in NZD's this frame will likely be well over 4k in NZD eek, geez starting to sound like Jaybo, I'm not moaning just doing the calculations, this is the price ya pay to play with the big boyz and I'm just a lad.

Moosehead I predict endless threads such as: "my rig vs. RFX", or "my carbon DH vs the DHR", or my "knock off dual link with pedal kickback galore vs Spot", or "trade my 2010 Turner whatever for the 2011 version?". I also predict lighter wallets courtesy of Turner Suspension Bicycles. Loss of market share, my arse.

This is gonna be beyotchin. Bring it..
    Bang on bro, these changes to the line will smash the carbon plastic's and fugly designs outta theyre the same way the DHR is smashing the downhill, DHRs running out already in a few weeks.

I just feel the pain for those who can upgrade but will have to wait longer in que's for run outs and the moar time waiting for extra production runs, good thing those boys in Seattle have lots of spare time on they're hands, they might need to improve the employment rate in the US coming months over they're which an only be a good thing moar US jobs for muricans

2turnersnotenough Here's a shot of the other side. The picture size is making the detail hard to spot, but the dropper post guides are there.
    Very nice 2T keep em coming, now for gawds sake someone lend DT some black zip ties will ya

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

striker!

Much stronger looking that the Spot

I like the DHR inspired dropout:

Beef taco and sturdy BB:

1.5 for zero stack and/or angleset:

The slack HA and a low BB are probably the biggest reasons why I want this in my garage, especially if it rides anything like the previous gen proto.

Reviews please!

S

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Is that lower Link one piece?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How 'bout some Spot photos?

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Is that lower Link one piece?
    Looks like it is one piece from the singletrack.com photos.
    Nothing to see here.

striker!
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    Looks like it is one piece from the singletrack.com photos.
    I missed that!

From afar, I agree it looks like a Spot but there are some very real differences all focused on making this bike able to withstand higher levels of punishment.

Anyone see a weight on this?

S

mtbr member
    Definitely looks like a burly, slack, Spot. Which is exactly why I want one . . . .

But . . . makes me wonder why it took so long . . . .

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    God that headtube looks short?? I thought the new Turner tendency was a long headtube so you didn't have to use unsightly spacers.

Not overly impressed with the final product after the wait. For all the talk of only bringing the RFX to market with no compromises in design, for it to look like a long travel spot and share the same rear end etc. Seems like all the talk of designing a superior long travel steed was just that. Talk. This bike screams compromise and cost savings.

But the Fanboi excitement has begun. Let's just all settle down and see if it actually makes it to market

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I don't think that you will ever be able to push this bike to its limit.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by miles e
    And this is a surprise why? Have you mopes been too busy hating to actually look at the rendering that's been on the website for several months now? Yeah, it looks like a beefed up 5 Spot with more travel/aggressive geometry; isn't that what the RFX has always been? .
    Some of you guys are so easy to rile up it's not even challenging; quite the fishing spot.
    I thought I recall DT saying the rfx was going to be much more pumped up and beefy. As I said, this looks like a spot with a bigger headtube, not like something between a spot and a highline. And IMO, the production models should come standard with a coil shock, with an air shock option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So is it all about looks? We all don'n know how it rides...

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrolens
    I don't think that you will ever be able to push this bike to its limit.
    In one of DT's rant in a thread months ago where he was defending himself regarding this bike, he said that only a handful of guys like superstock and 1soulrider could possibly ride this bike to it's potential, the rest of us are basically chodes with too much money and not enough common sense, and certainly not enough talent to warrant having this bike.

mtbr member
    In one of DT's rant in a thread months ago where he was defending himself regarding this bike, he said that only a handful of guys like superstock and 1soulrider could possibly ride this bike to it's potential, the rest of us are basically chodes with too much money and not enough common sense, and certainly not enough talent to warrant having this bike.

I thought he said that in reference to last years proto. Not the beefy 6.5 spot we see this year.
    Still prefer last years proto over this one.

mtbr member
    I think he is just referring to the majority of people who buy long travel bikes yet cannot ride them to the bikes potential, yet some of those same people will still debate head angles, bb heights & such till they are blue in the face, but when it comes to riding them, most would probably be better off on a lighter, less travel bike in the 1st place. Hell, I took my DW Spot to Winterpark 3 weeks ago & saw a lot of peeps on full on, race ready DH sleds struggling to maintain speed through the rough stuff & hit the various jumps that I was just cruising through on my bike. ****, I got held up / had to follow a couple guys down Trestle DH who were on factory DH rigs, fully kitted out, almost killing themselves at every tech spot, pure comedy

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's the reason why I always argued for a slacker Spot (same travel, slacker HA), which maybe comes for 2011. Visitors at Interbike seem to be so much focused on the RFX. They forget completely about the 5.Spot...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    the rest of us are basically chodes with too much money and not enough common sense, and certainly not enough talent to warrant having this bike.
    This pretty much explains 98% of the people hacking around on slack 6x6 bikes regardless of manufacture.

My cup runneth over
    Heck, I think I qualify as a chode on the Spot.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by inkpad
    I think he is just referring to the majority of people who buy long travel bikes yet cannot ride them to the bikes potential, yet some of those same people will still debate head angles, bb heights & such till they are blue in the face, but when it comes to riding them, most would probably be better off on a lighter, less travel bike in the 1st place.
    hey, that sounds like you're describing me.
    I think DT had that rant long before I started my low/slack rants , but I could be wrong.

mtbr member
    found a photo of the 5 Spot!!!

Interbike :: Day 1 - 34 by Steed Cycles, on Flickr

No, that's not phonetic
    ...but I could be wrong.
    The 'roids are wearing off. 60cc's, stat!

Outcast
    The 'roids are wearing off. 60cc's, stat!
    Not 'roids. Booze.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by kmac999
    God that headtube looks short?? I thought the new Turner tendency was a long headtube so you didn't have to use unsightly spacers.

Not overly impressed with the final product after the wait. For all the talk of only bringing the RFX to market with no compromises in design, for it to look like a long travel spot and share the same rear end etc. Seems like all the talk of designing a superior long travel steed was just that. Talk. This bike screams compromise and cost savings.

But the Fanboi excitement has begun. Let's just all settle down and see if it actually makes it to market
    The long headtube was not a fav for everyone especially in bigger frame sizes, and STILL people used spacers!

The point here is understand the bike, and if many here had have ridden slack bikes and understand the benefits rather than recreating the same bike they ride as they're XC bike, it would make total sense!

GEO alone is only one factor ,as is the many fork options, if you want steep then 5spot is all the travel you need, and this will allow steeper and slacker as well with 44mm, for the RFX proto this allows long travel forks at a light weight and geo and hand bar position to suit the style of rider not out of the box one fit all XC riders.

Run normal external HS, 160mm fork, run 170mm fork run lower external HS or upper HS or both or run for flush and again in 1.5, tapered or 1/8th geez its not rocket science!

Bikes have improved but people still think one dimensional, everyone wins here!

Oh this is a "Proto", that said I like it as is, Turner were never about Shiny, Show pony Magpie stuff you see marketed on other stands why they're was such a core following yet always dressed well, only in recent times have many Turners become somewhat glossy posters!

I'll take raw anytime with functionality, stay the course DT lol.. [this is what we've been ranting on about for the last 4years and its about to pay off imo

Forget the looks I could care less, its a Turner with real DNA...

I'm the first to give it if I think they're a compromise and it may not be the v1, I'm already over it ha. I don't see ant compromise in strength ability or capability, as usual that will be down to the rider, spec and competency which is what I think is scaring most here, you 50yo plus keep quite in the cheap seats and go back to the Sulty, you've had ya way for the last 2.5years its the time of the RFX Brigade to stand up and roar lol

I'm with SR

Some of you guys are so easy to rile up it's not even challenging; quite the fishing spot.
    I thought I recall DT saying the rfx was going to be much more pumped up and beefy. As I said, this looks like a spot with a bigger headtube, not like something between a spot and a highline. And IMO, the production models should come standard with a coil shock, with an air shock option.
    I got it Rene, some have just forgotten ya sense of humor, maybe those times will come back in 2011

Bring back the old brigade, CC, Zilla and the Rene from magene

Perfect 2 bike stable, RFX/DHR

Coil or air has the option, most here would ride air for weight, u know better, I;'d rather choose my coil shock than be stuck on a Fox to be honest, the RP23 is a good air option though, even though I'd choose a RS Monach, though Vivid air and the BV RS vers options abound Geez, 2011 is gonna be interesting here lol..

Quote Originally Posted by shirk
    This pretty much explains 98% of the people hacking around on slack 6x6 bikes regardless of manufacture.
    Those that ride know

Spots looking good too, dig that new Taco look oh ah

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

trail fairy
    Not 'roids. Booze.
    2nd Booze & popcorn ! I need some I'm peeing my pantz with excitement

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    I really like the look of that old school taco on the RFX and new Spot... What are the angles on the new spot? Why am I asking, when I can't buy one until Superstock tires of his in 2 or 3 years. Besides, $2500 buys a lot of booze and hookers, right, Rene?!
    Last edited by ORVH; 09-21-2010 at 06:13 PM.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    DAMN, they shortened the Sultan ETT? Argh, and I love Ano and slacker. I guess I'll see what the XL looks like but it may be too big.

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Hmm, does the Spot have one of those new front derailleurs that screw on?
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

No, that's not phonetic

Rolling
    Sweet stuff.

Just roll it......
    I hate to break up this love fest, but just saw this.

Morland's DHR.

nocturnal oblivion
    Cheezy, first pics the Spot, the rest are the RFX right? I'm not seeing single piece lower link and TA on the Spot am I?
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

trail fairy
    Black rears so hawt cheezemiester is that you in front with the roadie helmet

Tylers DHR looks so sick, neon Orange now thats a color
    35.8lb, wetscreams cutdown and 106deg f geez lousie..

and Minion DHF saddle grippa yo

This looks a bit moar comfy though, good nut scratcher!
    http://www.vitalmtb.com/photos/featu...1235/sspomer,2

Still nice find interesting to see how those Vivids airs play out and how many here will run em..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 09-21-2010 at 10:33 PM.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

No, that's not phonetic
    Not. My. Pics.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Can't wait for my black DHR to arrive looks awesome.

mtbr member
    Can't see any chainguide tabs on the Spot?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_
    Can't see any chainguide tabs on the Spot?
    Nope, but you can have them fitted for a nominal fee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101
    Nope, but you can have them fitted for a nominal fee.
    I'm aware of that. Just thought the new Spot would have them as standard...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dibbs_
    I'm aware of that.
    So the 2011 5 Spot

So it looks like DT hasn't changed his mind then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toons101
    So the 2011 5 Spot

So it looks like DT hasn't changed his mind then.
    Yes I'm aware of that..

But sometimes (even DT is guilty of this, human being and all that) what people say earlier changes later... Shorter headtube? 1.5 HT? Slacker? Who'd of thought!?....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Ano Finish

P1020197 by chirosangaku, on Flickr

P1020185 by chirosangaku, on Flickr

P1020186 by chirosangaku, on Flickr

P1020189 by chirosangaku, on Flickr

P1020190 by chirosangaku, on Flickr

P1020191 by chirosangaku, on Flickr

P1020192 by chirosangaku, on Flickr

P1020193 by chirosangaku, on Flickr

P1020194 by chirosangaku, on Flickr

mtbr member
    EATING CROW!!

Seing the RFX with the RC4 distinguishes it quite well form the Spot.
    THis frame may actually grow on me.
    THe geo Numbers are much better than my Firebird.

We will see.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    That black DHR is sex.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0