Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Downieville Updates/Results/Race Reports?

Can anyone up there with wifi give us losers stuck at home some race results? XC, DH, AM pro? I will gladly live vicariously through your race reports as well. Screw the TDF, I care more about who wins AM at Downieville.

Proud lame eBiker
    Yeah, I was just sitten here at work wondering how things are turning out up there. Who's the upset? How's the smoke etc.?
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Poor cell phone reception up there, and no internet cafes that I know of. We may have to wait a day or two for results.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just got back from racing XC today and don't know many details but Ross Schnell (Trek) won the AM Pro.

mtbr member

Correction

He won XC race, Jason Moeshler was 2nd and Mark Weir was 3rd. Tomorrows DH will make The All Mountain contest very interesting tomorrow! There were some big time MTB celb's there: Brain Lopes, Wayde Ritchey, Greg Hurbald, Jurgen Beneke, Myles Rockwell...the list goes on. None of them seemed to go hard in the XC. Even I past Brian Lopes on the climb, he eventually caught me, and seemed to be taking it easy.
    Smoke & were not bad.
    I got 5th in Expert 45+...
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Anyone know how Kenny Burt did?
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    How about Tim Olson?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Anyone know how Kenny Burt did?
    I remember seeing his name, he was up there but not in the top 5. As for Tim Olson, I do not remember seeing his name, does not mean he was not there. I was pretty out of it after racing and a Beer

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I remember seeing his name, he was up there but not in the top 5. As for Tim Olson, I do not remember seeing his name, does not mean he was not there. I was pretty out of it after racing and a Beer

Thanks for the info!!! Hope you had a great ride! I wish I was there
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member

No good Manners Please

So I just picked up my sister in the hospital after the Downieville Race. She going to be okay, and ended up with a concusion and was helicoptered out of Downieville after she finished. But one of the most disturbing things I heard was this:
    After she crashed, the next group of riders came though while she was in the middle of the trail. The leader of the group asked if she was okay and even slowed a little to see if she was okay. However, the second guy chasing him yelled up front. "Hey man, what the 'F&*^ why the hell are you slowing down for CHICKS." or some variation of that.

To that guy I just want to remind him that my little sister was outriding him pretty much the entire race. Hope that feels good to be such a super fast guy.

Sorry, just venting. Thanks to anyone who asked if she was okay, even though they were racing. And for the record. you don't have to stop, just ask is someone is okay and call it over to the trail marshals so they can check on the person. And definitely don't call my sis a chick.
    Last edited by vodkamike3; 07-14-2008 at 10:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    One word! KARMA

Propr
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    He won XC race, Jason Moeshler was 2nd and Mark Weir was 3rd. Tomorrows DH will make The All Mountain contest very interesting tomorrow! There were some big time MTB celb's there: Brain Lopes, Wayde Ritchey, Greg Hurbald, Jurgen Beneke, Myles Rockwell...the list goes on. None of them seemed to go hard in the XC. Even I past Brian Lopes on the climb, he eventually caught me, and seemed to be taking it easy.
    Smoke & were not bad.
    I got 5th in Expert 45+...
    Thanks for the update merlin!!! Sounds like you did pretty well yourself for an old guy

Can't wait until until tomorrow's results for DH
    10 TransAM SS
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1 - Sold

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    LizzleBot is so tough she made the helicopter wait until she finished the race.

bicycle rider
    Ah beanfink! Yeah, she is tough. She was really scared and I'm glad it ended up OK. Geoff and I and Debbie (the event coordinator) were all really worried about her. A lot of people know her story and are eager to hear she's OK. I was totally surprised by how quickly a seemingly superficial bump got serious. Her bike and stuff are OK, in my garage.

Morgan

bicycle rider
    Ross Schnell beat Moeschler by 2:30 I think, and Weir by 3:30, in the XC portion of the AM race. Those numbers might be slightly off. Rachel Lloyd won the women, Sue Haywood 2nd. I talked to Ross & Sue yesterday. Ross was on the 6" Trek bike, Sue on the 5" bike. Today Ross has a #42 starting position, Moeschler starts 1st and Weird 2nd. Schnell will have more traffic. I asked him if he could limit his losses to less than 2 minutes and his reply was "I'm going to beat them tomorrow!"

The AM race will be very exciting. I told them to bring more pros next year. He said Adam Craig heard he was going to Downieville and was excited that WTB was getting some more competition. Would be awesome to see Wicks, Decker, Trebon, JHK, Kabush, Gould, Nash and the rest of the best show up at Downieville.

Menso was 6th in the Pro AM XC! His dad J.L. was very proud of him, and he also did very well, beating 3:00 by less than a minute on his Superlight. I urged him to ask the boy for a hand-me-down bigger bike for next year's Downieville race.

Saw lots of you up there, hope you all had good races. I had a great time until Liza went in the helicopter.

My race was slightly better than last year;

• goal of middle ring to the top, check
    • goal of cleaning the entire climb, failed at boulder section where everyone in front of me was walking
    • goal of cleaning the descent, check, well except for an OTB right before the green bridge, where I spun my bars
    • goal of 2:35 or better, failed with a 2:46, good for 22/35 in vet 35-44 expert men. (although Sunrise added length. I was 2:42 last year)
    • goal of beating my friends, failed

Next year!

I rode with Herbold briefly on the climb, told him he was my hero. That was cool. Got to talk with him a little after the race, and the SRAM truck stoked me with a part I needed.

I had two friends do really well; Aron Bonar 1st in vet 35-44 expert and Isaias Job 3rd in 19-34 expert. My friends Geoff and Liza did well, Geoff better than me in my field and Liza raced her very first Downieville Classic, her first time there.

Here's my motionbased record for the race:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6232068

I gave Dirt Diggler the dope on the big Deer Lake / Tamarack / Sardine Lakes / 54 / Haypress epic I did recently and he and some other people are going to ride it today. I hope they have a good time!

Morgan

ride hard take risks
    vodkamike3 Yup allot of these so called macho guys just feel they are such bad arzes if it was the other way around macho chump would have been curled up in the fetal position crying for his life.

Healin vibes to your sister
    she is awesome!!!

Any one know where to find results???
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Dville

Wow, what a race. The best part was all the support from Dville. My favorite was the guys at the top with cans of Budweiser.

Although, I left Dville in a helicopter and a bumpin concussion. i do have good memories before I nearly fainted. And happy to say i finished the race even after the crash. Haha
    could have been worse right?i heard someone fell down that steep sketchy rock ledge? .

(BTW LizzleBot has hijacked Beanfink's account to bring you this message)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    My race was slightly better than last year;

• goal of middle ring to the top, check
    • goal of cleaning the entire climb, failed at boulder section where everyone in front of me was walking
    • goal of cleaning the descent, check, well except for an OTB right before the green bridge, where I spun my bars
    • goal of 2:35 or better, failed with a 2:46, good for 22/35 in vet 35-44 expert men. (although Sunrise added length. I was 2:42 last year)
    • goal of beating my friends, failed

Morgan
    I think I finished right ahead of you to bump you to 22nd. I was right around 2:45, had a mechanical and a crash as well, OTB at the bridge(2nd time in the Dville race). Felt horrible up the climb and spun in granny, next year needs to be middle ring to make it up in under and hour.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjtd
    I think I finished right ahead of you to bump you to 22nd. I was right around 2:45, had a mechanical and a crash as well, OTB at the bridge(2nd time in the Dville race). Felt horrible up the climb and spun in granny, next year needs to be middle ring to make it up in under and hour.
    What jersey were you wearing?

I think I was 1:15 to the timing mat at the beginning of Sunrise.

I suck at Downieville. But I love it.

Morgan

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    does anyone know what the DH results were (top 3) and the AM results (top 3)?

if not, when will they be posted?

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    I hear Ross Schnell also won DH..

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Wow, sounds like the field was Stacked! Still no one knows how Kenny Burt did?
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by vodkamike3

So I just picked up my sister in the hospital after the Downieville Race. She going to be okay, and ended up with a concusion and was helicoptered out of Downieville after she finished. But one of the most disturbing things I heard was this:
    After she crashed, the next group of riders came though. The leader of the group asked if she was okay and even slowed a little to see if she was okay. However, the second guy chasing him yelled up front. "Hey man, what the 'F&*^ why the hell are you slowing down for CHICKS." or some variation of that.

To that guy I just want to send a big ol F*&K U. and also remind him that my little sister was outriding him pretty much the entire race. Hope that feels good to be such a super fast guy.

Sorry, just venting. Thanks to anyone who asked if she was okay, even though they were racing.
    Was she the one that went over the edge on Sunrise?

I saw a gal climbing up from there and her bike. She seemed fine when I asked if she needed anything. I think she was wearing yellow, or her bike was. Everything was kind of blurry for me about then. She seem to have a couple of people helping her. So, I'm glad there was some good people there too.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Wow, sounds like the field was Stacked! Still no one knows how Kenny Burt did?
    the begginer class was stacked....................
    Someone "beginner" finished in 2 hr and 7 min!!!!

Even if you are in amazing road shape and this was your first or 2nd mtb race, that kind of time mean you can handle a bike going down fast.

I dont want to be too critical, but maybe he should go to the midwest and help with the floods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Get a clue!

My buddy and I were up the week before the race. He dislocated his shoulder and broke his wrist about halfway down. I ended up pushing his bikes down while he hiked out with a sling we jury-rigged. Of the 15 or so riders who passed us on their way down (including a bunch of guys decked out in Trek gear - maybe the team riders) only two asked us if we needed help. It was pretty obvious he was in bad shape. He even asked the guys in the Trek gear for help and not one even acknowledged him. C'mon this is absolutely ridiculous! No wonder mtn, bikers get such a bad wrap. No other outdoor sport I participate in (whitewater kayaking, surfing, hiking, fishing) has such a crappy/negligent attitude towards helping someone who's hurt. Bottom line in these sports is that you drop everything you're doing for "fun" and offer help if someone's in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by vodkamike3

After she crashed, the next group of riders came though. The leader of the group asked if she was okay and even slowed a little to see if she was okay. However, the second guy chasing him yelled up front. "Hey man, what the 'F&*^ why the hell are you slowing down for CHICKS." or some variation of that.

To that guy I just want to send a big ol F*&K U. and also remind him that my little sister was outriding him pretty much the entire race. Hope that feels good to be such a super fast guy.

Sorry, just venting. Thanks to anyone who asked if she was okay, even though they were racing.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevano
    My buddy and I were up the week before the race. He dislocated his shoulder and broke his wrist about halfway down. I ended up pushing his bikes down while he hiked out with a sling we jury-rigged. Of the 15 or so riders who passed us on their way down (including a bunch of guys decked out in Trek gear - maybe the team riders) only two asked us if we needed help. It was pretty obvious he was in bad shape. He even asked the guys in the Trek gear for help and not one even acknowledged him. C'mon this is absolutely ridiculous! No wonder mtn, bikers get such a bad wrap. No other outdoor sport I participate in (whitewater kayaking, surfing, hiking, fishing) has such a crappy/negligent attitude towards helping someone who's hurt. Bottom line in these sports is that you drop everything you're doing for "fun" and offer help if someone's in trouble.
    I went down twice yesterday and had the guys right behind me ask if I was ok both times. I blocked their way both times too. I think people get really caught up in the moment and forget to "be human." I'd rather get down 5 min slower and help someone out of a jam, than just blow by and expect first aid to do it.

mtbr member
    Liza, heal fast, we need you for TNR!

Busted!!!
    I just got home, I watched the first couple hours of the DH race before bailing. Awesome Week, and a great race as usual.

XC AM Pro:
    Schnell
    Moelscher
    Wier
    XXX
    XXX
    Menso
    Tim Olson
    XXX
    XXX
    Nathan Riddle

Pro AM DH:
    Moelscher came in at 45.xx, then Riddle, then it got pretty sparatic. I saw Ross come in, rumored time at 44.xx, so it looked like he had it. Wier came in late, completely destroyed a rear wheel. I heard he flatted, cut off the tire and tried to ride it out. Pretty crazy end for everyone, Im anxious to see the official results as well.

My sport XC race went better then it looked like it was going to go. The week before I left to DV I broke my big toe after a blow out on a drop. Damn thing got HUGE and hurt like a biatch. Got to DV on the 7th, layed low ad rested and played with the kids, hiking, fishing, etc. Rode from packer lake to the saddle on tuesday afterjnoon, did a couple laps of sunrise, then soloed down the rest of the XC course. I didnt see a soul until Lower 1st divide. Managed a 1:30 from sunrise to town, wit ha swollen numb right foot. I was hot but happy.

Wednesday morning I went to sierra city to ride the whole XC course, met a guy whos friends hadnt showed so I was going to give a tour. I was on a good pace to the top when about mile 7.5 I cramped up bad. Way dehydrated from the hot afternoon ride the day before. It worked out ok leading a slower rider through and checking out some stuff. Ended up back in DV 4:30. LOL. My cramps continued after intense hydration, and I was getting concerned. I drank like a fish for the next 2 days, and didnt ride the bike anywhere but to town and arounf the cabins I was staying at.

Friday late afternoon I did a lap of sunrise and some interval climbing around the saddle, felt pretty good, but really wasnt sure what would happen on the climb.

Saturday morning went to Sierra City early had breakfast and waited around with the other 800 some odd riders. I was 5 minutes ahead of my normal pace by the left handed switchback after the loose shale about mile 3. Suprised, I didnt want to risk cramping and held a bit of a slower pace than I felt I could pull, I ended up at teh top at 1:18, exactly my typical pace and feeling pretty lively still. Sunrise was a bit of traffic, but made more passes than I expected on the narrow and twisty trail, then slowly picked off more and more along the way. I remember going through First Divide smiling and pushing along, I thought am I delierious or did I not ride hard enough. I shouldnt be this happy right now. I pulled into DV at 2:46 with no mechanicals or big blunders along the way. I cleaned all the sections I knew would be plugged up with walkers and unprepared riders. Knowing the problem areas from last year and warnign the rideres directly around me while in groups kept us moving whe neveryone else was bobbling or waling. I definitly look forward to next year!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    There were some timing issues with the transponders but luckily there was manual timing in place to rectify. According to the initial electronic results, two sport women would have won pro womens XC by a decent margin. So, I imagine the beginner guy with the super fast time probably had a chip issue also....

This DVille was my first ever XC race and only my third ever race period so I was pretty nervous going into it, not knowing what to expect and all. I decided to race AM Expert (34 and under) just to be sure I wasn't a sand bagger. My weapon of choice was a 32.5 pound Giant Reign X with a single 36t front ring. This is my only weapon so there wan't really much choice ha-ha.

I got about 3-4 hours of crummy sleep before the XC so I wasn't feeling exactly chipper, but I felt pretty much okay once the adrenaline kicked in. I finished the XC in 2:41:34 which was good for 8th. Even though my Reign X helped me to pass a lot of people on the DH portion of the course, I was still pretty far back already just from pulling 32.5 lbs up that biznitch of a climb. I definitely think the balance between light-weight/DH-worthiness needs to be shifted more to the XC side to be competitive at Dville. Next year....

I was pretty smoked today for the DH but I managed to put together a 54:51 for 4th place. No major mistakes, the only thing holding me back was my fitness.

I'm not sure yet what my overall position was but I doubt if I gained more than a spot, if that, so I'm guessing I stayed in eighth but I won't know until the results are posted online.

It was such a fun weekend. Like I said, I've never raced XC before and barely raced at all so I've never dug so deep for so long. A 6 hour ride with your buddies doesn't even compare to a 2.5 hour race! When the gun goes off you just give it 100% until you cross the line. Definitely the most fun I've had in a long time! I will be back next year for sure with a bike that is not more than 28 lbs.

BTW, Lopes ran a 2:18 in the XC so the guy who said he wasn't that fast must be pretty darn fit!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Home again

Menso and I are home again after 4 days of riding in Downieville.

Menso and I both had a great race. Menso probably biked too much on Thursday and Friday to beat Jason or Mark to the top of Packer Saddle, but he was not too far behind. He had a good descent and outsprinted Tim Olson to the finish line for a very nice sixth place in the XC with a time of about 2:05. He double flatted on the landing of too big a jump on third divide in the DH race, so he didn't do too well there. His Downieville podium streak ended, but his pro debut was impressive.

I moved up from Beginner and had my first Downieville Sport race. The Sport starting crowd was huge: it took me more than 30 seconds to even get passed the start line and the road was so packed that it was hard to pass anyone. The forced slow start may have been good, as I felt really strong the rest of the climb. I walked the one boulder section with everyone else, but cleared all the other sections easily and was at the start of Sunrise in exactly 1:18 (about 8 minutes faster than last year). I was concerned I would hold up other sport riders in this twisty and somewhat technical downhill section, but managed to stay right with the riders in front of me and didn't get yelled at or passed by the riders behind me. Sunrise added about 11 1/2 minutes (for me, less than 7 for the top pros) to the race course compared to last year.
    I passed a few more riders on the fire road climbs to Babyheads and even passed a rider or two on the downhill, but quite a few would pass me when they had the change. I slowed down too much and fell sideways in one especially bumpy section of Babyheads, where at least 6 riders flew passed before I managed to jump back in the race, and still had to put a foot down in some sections of Pauley Creek and allow a rider or two to pass. I have to work on that momentum thing some more...
    I almost cramped up when passing a Team Wrong Way rider on the 500 yard climb before third divide, but managed to shake it. I knew I was close to making my goal of breaking three hours, so I pushed extra hard on the pedaling section of upper and lower first divide, sprinted the road to the finish line for an official time of 2:59:55. Last year my time was 3:04:25 so I gained 4.5 + 11.5 (sunrise trail) = 16 minutes this year. Not bad. Let's try to do that again next year, when we'll have to go down there and practice more. Fremont Older just doesn't prepare me well for Sunrise, Babyheads or the Pauley Creek Trail.

- J.L.
    Last edited by JL de Jong; 07-13-2008 at 10:17 PM.
    Also known as Menso's dad.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Ha! I had breakfast with Lopes Thursday morning at The Wooden Trout. Worked the timing section on the top of the 7 mile climb out of Sierra City. Even with flourescent red cones, these guys climbing have numb minds from lack of oxygen at the top.... I counted 6 racers that flat out blew it and went down the old race course and pavement despite me waving them to the left over the pads to trip the timers.

We had some problems with installation of the chips by a few young riders that FAILED to read the mounting directions. They need to be installed by the racer very low on the fork leg, within 6" of the bottom so that the timer mats pick them up and get a reading..

Way fun and cool group of people at Dville... Met HB of SRAM and passed out cherry snowcones for RoxShox, SRAM, Truvative Group, had coffee most mornings with Jourgen , didn't even know Brian Lopes was sitting next to me at breakfast.Today, I got to touch Mark Weir's remains of a bike while removing the timing chip from the forks.

Absolutely a blast... it's easy to see why Downieville is a classic. I drove 464 miles from LA Wednesday to get there, almost 9 hrs on the road, and I didn't even race, just volunteered. Way, way fun event, got to shuttle Thursday and Friday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Unofficial results that were first posted. We had to leave before the the actual Official festivities.
    Downhill Pro's
    1. Ross Schnell
    2. Jason Moeschler
    3. Nathan Riddle
    4. Myles Rockwell
    5. Brian Lopes
    Here's ta sweat in your eye

~~~~~~~
    i got 8th in single speed. had a flat on the fire road just after sunrise?? no idea what i could have hit. i also had to stop to tighten my non-drive side crank that was falling off after the climb. without the bad luck i think i could have podiumed looking at times. i was 2:32, winning time was 2;18 for SS.

my buddy kirt fitzpatrick was heading into the expert AM 7th today and crashed on sunrise and broke three vertebrae in his neck. the medics did a poor job taking care of him. he walked out. we took him to grass valley hospital for a CT scan where they found the fractures- big fractures. then they transferred him to roseville. not sure if he'll need surgery or what. will know tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Top Three SS XC
    Conrad Snover 2:16:19
    Dezmin Wilder 2:16:22
    Yuri Hauswald 2:22:32
    Nuts, Completely Nuts. Cannot imagine how you single speed guys do this.
    Last edited by strom; 07-13-2008 at 10:57 PM.
    Here's ta sweat in your eye

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    Menso and I are home again after 4 days of riding in Downieville.

- J.L.
    Wow for Menso. He's quickly rising up the ranks of top US pros!!!

fc
    IPA will save America

fc
    stoked Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    i got 8th in single speed. had a flat on the fire road just after sunrise?? no idea what i could have hit. i also had to stop to tighten my non-drive side crank that was falling off after the climb. without the bad luck i think i could have podiumed looking at times. i was 2:32, winning time was 2;18 for SS.

my buddy kirt fitzpatrick was heading into the expert AM 7th today and crashed on sunrise and broke three vertebrae in his neck. the medics did a poor job taking care of him. he walked out. we took him to grass valley hospital for a CT scan where they found the fractures- big fractures. then they transferred him to roseville. not sure if he'll need surgery or what. will know tomorrow.
    Wow, looks like you were cruisin before the mishaps. Great job Ty! How did Kimmel and Leva of Team Sexual Camel do?

Awful news about Kirt. Wow. What a bummer. Keep us posted.

photo: Kirt at the Skeggs rides
    Attached Images Attached Images
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Wow man, that sucks. I'm pretty sure he started the DH right behind me. Was he #75, right? Hope he's okay!

~~~~~~~
    yeah- that's right. number 75.

i'm hoping that he doesn't have to wear one of those ridiculous halo things. surgery would definitely suck. fusing those vertebrae (cervical 5,6, and 7) would leave him with very little range of motion. based on his condition i think he'll come out of it okay. he was in pretty good spirits considering and the fact that he walked out and was able to deal with the pain makes me think that while the skeletal damage looked bad on the CT scan, it probably didn't leave him with much nerve or soft tissue damage. sucks he's up in roseville right now alone and busted. guess that's mountain bike racing.

~~~~~~~
    kimmel was 11th in expert. Leva crashed coming onto the pavement with one mile to go and broke his brake lever and dislocated his finger, finished 17th expert. could have been a better weekend for the camel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by strom
    Unofficial results that were first posted. We had to leave before the the actual Official festivities.
    Downhill Pro's
    1. Ross Schnell
    2. Jason Moeschler
    3. Nathan Riddle
    4. Myles Rockwell
    5. Brian Lopes

Wow! Sounds like Moeschler/Weir's reign is over. Crazy stuff. Awesome reports everybody.

Surly OG
    2:59:30 good for 27th out of about 80 racers in my age group - 35-44 sport my #643, Angioplasty w/ stents in March really messed up my race season. I did one CCCX xc on the SS , one cccx DH and Dville; that was the extent of my racing this year.

I did not train at all for this race, other than 2 pre runs last weekend of the descent portion, so I'm hoping that next year with some conditioning I'll be cracking 2:45. God willing and health allowing.

Last year I started cramping before the water curtain thing, about 1/2 hr into the race and battled cramps the whole race to finish in 3:30:xx, this year I conquered the cramping issues and cracked 3hrs, so I'm pretty stoked.

This year, I was in the mix of riders, and I must say that the traffic jams are dangerously slow, and were a bit frustrating..... But that's racing, I'll just have to beat them to the top next time.

If I got into the All Mountain I would have been 2nd in the XC, and since descending is my strong suit I imagine I would have done pretty good. If the times were posted correctly.

I'm eager to see my split time.

It was a fun race and a positive experience for me this year. Healing vibes to the injured racers....

And to the complaints about racers being oblivious or callous, we have to remember, THIS IS RACING and as such, we ALL signed acknowledgment's of consent and willful participation in an event with the inherent risk of being hurt or killed. If you're signing the waiver you're CHOOSING to take that risk. Living life to the fullest isn't always a walk in the park smelling roses. On the way down to the 3rd divide bridge I watched a guy overcook and rag doll in front of me about 30 yrds, I saw him jump up and asked if he was ok, but I didn't stop, does that make me an a hole too?

It is sad to hear of the poor medical treatment of Kirt..... D'ville is very remote and trauma medicine is a LONG way away, it is very important for good acute first aid in such conditions. Hope he's OK.

And the head injury, glad she'll be ok. Knocks on the knoggin are potentially fatal. Props to her for racing though.... I love to see female racers!!! .... courageous! Rock On!
    Earn your turns. )'(

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Ha! I had breakfast with Lopes Thursday morning at The Wooden Trout. Worked the timing section on the top of the 7 mile climb out of Sierra City. Even with flourescent red cones, these guys climbing have numb minds from lack of oxygen at the top.... I counted 6 racers that flat out blew it and went down the old race course and pavement despite me waving them to the left over the pads to trip the timers.

We had some problems with installation of the chips by a few young riders that FAILED to read the mounting directions. They need to be installed by the racer very low on the fork leg, within 6" of the bottom so that the timer mats pick them up and get a reading..

Way fun and cool group of people at Dville... Met HB of SRAM and passed out cherry snowcones for RoxShox, SRAM, Truvative Group, had coffee most mornings with Jourgen , didn't even know Brian Lopes was sitting next to me at breakfast.Today, I got to touch Mark Weir's remains of a bike while removing the timing chip from the forks.

Absolutely a blast... it's easy to see why Downieville is a classic. I drove 464 miles from LA Wednesday to get there, almost 9 hrs on the road, and I didn't even race, just volunteered. Way, way fun event, got to shuttle Thursday and Friday.

You missed his breakfast friday morning when he about missed his shuttle, and chewed out the older lady running the pizza joint.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

mtbr member

In the middle of the trail is one thing off the trail is another

To clarify, my sis was in the middle of the trail immediately after her crash. The guy was getting yelled at for basically not running her over.

mtbr member
    Dirt_Diggler,

Good news for your friend Kirt is that even if he was fused his range of motion (ROM) would still be fine as 90% of ROM comes from c1,c2. Hopefully he just fractured the Spinus Processes which will heal fine. Important thing is that he is walking and talking and not paralyzed.

mtbr member

bizzare day for me

I was planning on having a great ride on Sat. I totally blew up. I am not sure exactly what happened. I had my usual meal the morning of, i hydrated all week, and even prerode the course the previous two weekends without any issue. I started out on the pavement cruising along in the middle ring trying to find my groove, i was not really being passed, and not really gaining any ground. My pace was comfortable i could hold a conversation if needed. I hit the u-turn on to the road and all of a sudden my heart rate spiked and started sweating uncontrollably, i was dripping like I have never done before. I then got very light headed and nauseous and couldnt slow down my breathing, I got a chill and then felt feverish. Then i started sweating profusely again. I pulled off and felt really weird. I was passed by about 50 or so riders and decided to continue on, i hit the water shower thing and it started again, i was in my granny gear hoping to have it pass and continue on just to finish. I started to cramp in my quad and a few seconds later my calves. I pulled off again and was passed by another 50 or so people. I remounted just hoping to get going with all images of grandeur gone. I could barely turn over the granny gear. I started walking. I kept pulling over feeling really feverish and sweaty and dizzy. I was determined to get to the top so i just walked. I beat all of 10 riders to the top. One of the women at the top was very kind and kept asking me questions about how i felt and etc, I guess i didnt look so good. I ended up turning around at that point and rode down the trail of tears that i walked up after 4 or so bottles of water. I am still unsure what happened or why, i am not a newbie to racing and have my routine pretty dialed. It happened as fast as turning off a light. After the short ride my legs felt like i just did an all day epic or a long race. I am crampy in one calf today. If any one has any ideas please let me know as it is a little worrisome. Thanks to all of the people that asked if i was ok. All 200 or so.

rider
    Jan 2005
    Darth:

My guess is hyponatremia, the symptoms are a pretty good fit. Possibly you over hydrated w/o consuming enough electrolytes and went too low on your blood sodium level.
    Abandoned the 26" wheel in May '03

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

update

Yep,
    .Ross Schnell won the XC and the DH and of course the AM.
    Great guy, he introduced himself on a shuttle and we had a good chat. very humble, down to earth guy. we were talking about all the big names out to challenge Weir and he had nice opinions, but didn't bring up himself. he said the biggest names wouldn't be the AM contenders, it would be weir, moesler, chris sheppard, olson and he didn't mention himself... Weir had a dnf mechanical on 3rd devide while on pace to set a new record.

and of course,
    holiday won the sport 35 plus AM (by 25minutes ?, i had a good climbing day...) 2:35 xc, 58 dh

cheers,
    holiday

Let's ride
    Quote Originally Posted by strom
    Top Three SS XC
    Conrad Snover 2:16:19
    Dezmin Wilder 2:16:22
    Yuri Hauswald 2:22:32
    Nuts, Completely Nuts. Cannot imagine how you single speed guys do this.
    Wow, that's truly impressive. Dezmin is amazing. Who is Snover? Amazing for it to come down to 3 seconds.

Let's ride

Great job Ty. Sounds like an easy 5 mins or so was lost for sure.

What tires did you end up running?

Hope Kirt makes it out OK, that sucks to hear that. Those Halo things are scary looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JL de Jong
    Fremont Older just doesn't prepare me well for Sunrise, Babyheads or the Pauley Creek Trail.

- J.L.
    LOL I use to ride there. You gotta go ride Montebello/Kenndey. That will prepare you for the climb. I did a 37:00 up Bello a few weeks ago, then bonked on the climb at Dville.

mind taking
    What a day, what a race. I'll try to regurgitate some of the endless conversations I've had over the last 2 days with my fellow racers (Zen Turtle, zx6Roxy, MrCrash, FawnDog).

Started in Beginner, small field this year, lined up next to a "beginner" rocking one of those new Look full carbon hardtails. He made a nice run of it but I caught him in a mile and never saw him again. Came out feeling great, caught up to the Sport field in no time, started passing people.

It occurs to me about 20 minutes in, Im leading the Beginner class and my group!

After that it was a slow grind up to the top of Sunrise. Cramps start talking to my legs here and there but Im sucking down Gu and SportLegs trying to manage them. We hit the Sunrise, do a little chasing, do a little waiting, saw some good crashes.

Spit out onto the bottom of Sunrise and its roadie-time, all my commute miles kick in and Im flyin', too much so and I cramp huge. Get off the bike for a moment, legs are in major pain. They loosen up and Im back on, but working extra hard not to go "over the limit" to put my legs into cramping. Baby-heads, hauling ass, got a little squirly, someone got it on video.

I drop some more chasers on the climb up to 3rd Divide, feeling awesome to be leading Beginner, seeing myself on the podium, balloons, strippers, monkeys riding miniature horses, the works. Over the other side and Im crushing 3rd faster than I've ever ridden it... a few moments later the rear end gets wobbly and Ive got a flat. Repair goes bad and I've got to run the bike, RUN it, down 3rd to the safety point and get air. Lost all kinds of time, podium gone, heartbreak. Thats racing.

12th place - 3:24 - 40 minutes behind the lead.

After hearing that Menso blew both front and rear on 3rd in the DH I didn't feel quite so bad, a bit vindicated. Probably running Sport next year, not fair to sandbag the Beginner class.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by holiday
    Yep,
    Great guy, he introduced himself on a shuttle and we had a good chat. very humble, down to earth guy. we were talking about all the big names out to challenge Weir and he had nice opinions, but didn't bring up himself. he said the biggest names wouldn't be the AM contenders, it would be weir, moesler, chris sheppard, olson and he didn't mention himself... Weir had a dnf mechanical on 3rd devide while on pace to set a new record.

and of course,
    holiday won the sport 35 plus AM (by 25minutes ?, i had a good climbing day...) 2:35 xc, 58 dh

cheers,
    holiday
    congrats holiday! good bumping into you on the climb on Saturday! you were hammering!

My singlespeed beat me up pretty good, and I knew it was going to be difficult for me, so I had a pretty modest goal of just beating 3:00 hrs for the XC. I ended up at 3:01...19th in Open Singlespeed based on the preliminary results that I saw. It was actually pretty fun watching the time tick away on my bike computer on first divide and racing myself knowing I was going to be very close to my goal.

Next year, I'll probably be on my all-mountain bike and see if I can do better.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

banned
    Sep 2007
    Yep,

and of course,

cheers,
    holiday
    While removing Weirs timing chip at the finish line, he was talking about the tire failure and riding it out, said that when things came apart, just before the bottom of starting the first divide, he figured he was on a 42 minute ride for the downhill, based on his Garmin. I don't doubt him, Mark is a meticulous guy

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Wow, that's truly impressive. Dezmin is amazing. Who is Snover? Amazing for it to come down to 3 seconds.
    Conrad is a triathelte/ former Triathelete from tahoe.
    We all know who Dez is, right?
    Yuri is a former Soulcraft racer who is riding for Marin now, and usually does the endurance thing. Odd to see him on an SS 9er though. He pushed a 32x18. I was 32x19, and a lot of the other niners were 32x20. The 19 was a tough gear, and the only part I walked I got a massive side stich. Serves me right for walking.
    I heard I got 13th or so in SS. 2:27 or something. Who knows, I finished the race, and then rode back down to Goodyear's Bar, and took the N Yuba to Rocky Rest, and was camped nexrt door at Indian Valley. about 3 hrs to get back from Dville. And in the river with the dog and a book 15 minutes later.

I dig trails!
    The Classic was just that. Classic! It's like mountain bike heaven during that weekend. Hats off to Yuba Expeditions and the Trail Stewardship for putting together such a stellar event! The best event on the calendar.

I randomly met Mr. Crash, and we were lucky enough to watch the pros start up the first climb on Sunrise. We got to see Menso, Lopes, Simmons, etc. cranking that first climb.

Every year it gets better and better. Next year, it will be all volunteer for me. I did a superman over the bars on 3rd divide.... at full speed. I had visions of wheelchairs in my future as my head, neck and spine took the brunt when I tried a tuck and roll from a flat trajectory. After I laid on the ground for a few minutes wigging my fingers and toes and making sure my back wasn't broken, I got up and finished the race - my ultimate goal.

Two riders that passed stopped ask checked my condition (I looked grim), asked me if I knew my name, where I was, etc. they even passed on my number info and notice of crash to the next check point. Thanks so much guys! It was huge to hear some voices after such a scary moment.

So the intoxication of competition and speed put me in a world of hurt, but also know that intoxication is not too much not to pass on a fellow rider down. Thanks again.

Probably some cracked ribs and (hopefully not) some spine carnage... I'll find out at the doctor's today.

Congrats on the 5th place Merlin, that is huge!

And Menso! 6th in XC pro!!!! wow! Your future is bright indeed! nice one!

Rumors were that Weir flatted on 3rd, rode until the tire came off, then rode 1st Divide on the rim, until the wheel gave up, and ran the rest of the way in. wow! Someone correct this if this is wrong, as this is all hearsay.

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 07-14-2008 at 09:21 AM.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I've got a 5" travel Giant XO but decided to ride the Giant hardtail instead. Running 4" up front, v-brakes and 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralphs with Stan's.

I warmed up on the climb, only had time for one interval. Downed my Almond Bumble Bar and drank some water.

Is it just me or is that beginning a mess? I didn't know the expurts were gonna start with the pros. Pros go, then we go. Ok.

I had just gotten back up to the mid of the start after having my cassette tightened by the Shimano wrench. I was also having some shifting trouble due to new housing (when the housing rubber shrinks and the metal wires stick out and contact the cable) and dust, etc in the line. I also wasn't too sure about the air pressure in my shock because it was really sticky on Thursday's pre-ride. I let out some air and lubed it up. I also got a puncture on the pre-ride and was concerned about getting another during the race so I decided to take it a little easy on the tires. Overall I was a little unsure. Sure about the climb and my fitness, but not so much on the descent.

Climb starts. It was thick and tight at the start. I put my HR at 180 and went up and up. Passed tons of people. Ran into some of my friends after the start of the gravel, including Merlin who was laboring up the climb. He later made good time on the descent and gained a lot of time on me.

I was able to make the entire climb, no walking. I kept enough room in front of myself when the climb got a little techy so I wouldn't be forced off. It worked. The climb was a mix of seated climbing and standing.

I downed Gu packets every 20 minutes on the climb and was drinking water and Hammer Perpetuem.

I crossed the timer mat above Sunrise at 1:05.

I was passed by a few people coming down Sunrise. For the next 20 or so minutes I was yo-yoing with a gentleman wearing a Schwalbe jersey. I'd pass him on the roads and he'd pass me on the descents. I took it a little easy, was worried about flatting.

Hit the gravel and mashed it out. Commuting on the single speed road bike has made me fast on the flats. I passed a number of people before I hit the Baby Heads. I went down Baby Heads pretty conservatively and was passed by a number of people. This was the last time I saw Schwalbe Man. Crossed Pauly Creek and no cramping! Sweet!

Continued down Third Divide and kept getting passed by folks on big bikes. It's pretty much what I expected. I should note that I rode here Thursday, and before that it the 2005 race that I rode here last.

Hit Lavezzola Road and caught a Folsom Breakout rider. We battled a bit on the road and he hit the singletrack before me. I motored down the singletrack when I could, slow on the rough stuff, hammering on the flats. Didn't get passed on this section. Finally some singletrack I wasn't getting passed on!

Hit the road in town and passed a rider with a flat rear tire. Saw the Folsom Breakout rider but couldn't reel him in....

All in all when I left town my results showed 14th place with a time of about 2:30. Winner of my class was at 2:03. I prefer to get crushed like this than lose by just a couple minutes.

Maybe next year i'll bring the big bike...
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

Older & Slower
    May 2006

if anyone is interested...

1. first dville xc race...did the dh for 6 yrs...
    2. i think the xc is better than the dh...
    3. xc time was something like 3:20...flat at mile 2...had a great time...don't know my results...ran sport men 35-44...got out of town quickly after the race...
    4. dville classic has grown way too big now...course is packed...i'm guessing i'm gonna hit traffic no matter how fast i climb the beginning...
    5. i'm glad to see more pros getting in the mix...makes it more interesting than just waiting to see which wtb guy will win...
    6. does anyone know how many xc racers there were this year?
    7. was anyone wondering when you were going to be handed a COLD bottle of water at the "aid stations"?...
    8. i absolutely love dville!...just not sure i want to race it anymore...a weekend with friends minus the crowded trails would be just as good if not better...
    9. i'm sorry for the injured racers, but i'm also sorry i don't feel guilty for not stopping to check on people...we did pay a lot of money to race (part of those fees went to EMTs)...all i'm asking of the people that are close to those who were injured is to relax for a second and try to be objective...
    10. i hope i can get back before the winter sets in.

bicycle rider
    Nice!

Morgan

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by darth tracer
    I was planning on having a great ride on Sat. I totally blew up. I am not sure exactly what happened. I had my usual meal the morning of, i hydrated all week, and even prerode the course the previous two weekends without any issue. I started out on the pavement cruising along in the middle ring trying to find my groove, i was not really being passed, and not really gaining any ground. My pace was comfortable i could hold a conversation if needed. I hit the u-turn on to the road and all of a sudden my heart rate spiked and started sweating uncontrollably, i was dripping like I have never done before. I then got very light headed and nauseous and couldnt slow down my breathing, I got a chill and then felt feverish. Then i started sweating profusely again. I pulled off and felt really weird. I was passed by about 50 or so riders and decided to continue on, i hit the water shower thing and it started again, i was in my granny gear hoping to have it pass and continue on just to finish. I started to cramp in my quad and a few seconds later my calves. I pulled off again and was passed by another 50 or so people. I remounted just hoping to get going with all images of grandeur gone. I could barely turn over the granny gear. I started walking. I kept pulling over feeling really feverish and sweaty and dizzy. I was determined to get to the top so i just walked. I beat all of 10 riders to the top. One of the women at the top was very kind and kept asking me questions about how i felt and etc, I guess i didnt look so good. I ended up turning around at that point and rode down the trail of tears that i walked up after 4 or so bottles of water. I am still unsure what happened or why, i am not a newbie to racing and have my routine pretty dialed. It happened as fast as turning off a light. After the short ride my legs felt like i just did an all day epic or a long race. I am crampy in one calf today. If any one has any ideas please let me know as it is a little worrisome. Thanks to all of the people that asked if i was ok. All 200 or so.
    I agree with 29Chico on his hyponatremia assesment. Altitude was probably also a contributing factor.

When hydrating the week prior, use some Nuun, or Propel, Power Bar Electrolye, or Crystal light. They all have sodium citrate and potassium citrate. These keep you electrolyes in balance too.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    4. Nope. I won the Sport in 2005 by getting to the top first. I barely had any traffic on the descent this year (I was traffic to a few people).
    7. Nope. Any water made me happy. I found it hard to drink out of the bottles but was very glad to have them.
    8. I had a hard time walking more than 20 feet and not running into someone I know. I love it!
    9. I think if you are not going to make the top 10, then what's the problem with making sure injured people are ok. Some people are racing up there, lots are trying to survive. If I had seen any injured riders I would have made sure they were ok, and I was gunning for the best result I could get. I was hoping for top 3, but not surprised by 14th.
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    you have a right to your opinions...so do i...sorry if i offended you...

i guess i'm just not good enough to enjoy the dville classic.

fc
    stoked Administrator
    As Diggler mentioned, Kirt Fitzpatrick is down right now in Roseville with a fractured neck. He's alone since his family is in the East Coast. That is a bummer since help and support is key.

If anyone is in the Roseville area and can offer help or support, please do so.

Here is Kirt (on the left)and Ty just a few weeks ago with us at Downieville.

fc
    IPA will save America

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

How about Nathan Riddle?

As of the week before the race he had a cast on his arm due to a busted wrist. His mountain biking this summer consisted of him riding a trainer while watching his pre-ride video from last year!
    I like to start out slow and then back it off a notch.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    As Diggler mentioned, Kirt Fitzpatrick is down right now in Roseville with a fractured neck.
    Such a bummer! I know Kirt was bummed about his Saturday race and thinking about skipping Sunday. I hope he heals OK, and is racing cyclocross with us in the Fall.

Morgan

screamer

humble pie...

So every year at DVille I'm reminded of two things:
    1) There are some fast riders out there. 2) I'm not one of them. Really, I'm just in awe of those of you who have the same problems I did (cramps, mechanicals) and still manage to pull out amazing times. I consider myself a decent rider, but every year that is placed firmly in perspective by the blindingly fast riders that come out for this race. Congratulations to all of you! I'm really just in awe...

For my part, I'm still chasing the elusive sub-3hour time for now the fifth year in a row. I'll definitely keep plugging away at it, but it's become demoralizing that I can't seem to improve my times. I got to Sunrise in 1:20, a reasonable time for me with some gas still in the tank, and never having ridden that section of trail before really enjoyed it a lot. Certainly a good addition to the race. Felt OK on the traverse, held my own down Pauley despite a bit of cramping in the traffic jam after the creek, but mid-way down Butcher got a rear puncture that wouldn't seal. I've been running tubeless for so long that I'm out of practice fixing a flat (losing the skewer nut and having to hunt for it didn't help, nor did the cramps), and I lost count after 20 riders went flying by. The rest of the way I rode pretty conservatively, having used my only tube and not wanting to flat again. So I just took smooth lines, enjoyed the ride, and still managed to pass some people before hitting town. Overall time of 3:05, still in the top half of my category, but on the back side of the damned 3hour mark! I guess taking the extra time of Sunrise into account, it's still a personal best, but I'm still pretty disappointed in my performance. Next year...

But I will say that despite people's complaints of the race becoming too big, the organizers are really stepping up to the plate and putting on a top-notch event. There seemed to be more volunteers than ever, and everything was so well run. There's still such a great vibe, and I had plenty of people ask me if I was okay when I was fixing the flat. Awesome, awesome event.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by francois
    As Diggler mentioned, Kirt Fitzpatrick is down right now in Roseville with a fractured neck. He's alone since his family is in the East Coast. That is a bummer since help and support is key.

If anyone is in the Roseville area and can offer help or support, please do so.

fc
    Is he at Kaiser or the other hospital (can't remember the name)? I'll try to get there this afternoon.

P

mtbr member

Virginity Lost

...and still a bit sore from the experience- it was beautiful. I have come to love and appreciate Downieville for the unique experience it affords me. I volunteered last year and wanted earn my turns on the xc this year in addition to helping out. A big thanks to everyone who supported and encouraged me along the way. I tried to give back with a pump here and a tube there. I joined the Stewardship and I'm looking forward to investing more sweat in the future.
    Cheers
    "When you ride hard on a mountain bike, sometimes you fall. Otherwise you're not riding hard.
    -- So, most of the time when you're riding hard and not falling (since you only fall sometimes), you aren't actually riding hard." W.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso Negro
    I joined the Stewardship and I'm looking forward to investing more sweat in the future.
    Me too! I'll join BTCEB next.

Morgan

mtbr member
    I believe Tim Olson got 6th just behind Menso! Who BTW out sprinted him in the final stretch. Damn that boy is fast!

jane

busy days

KUDOS to the Downieville Clinic staff who all did such a fine job working real hard to support this great race!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    yeah- that's right. number 75.

i'm hoping that he doesn't have to wear one of those ridiculous halo things. surgery would definitely suck. fusing those vertebrae (cervical 5,6, and 7) would leave him with very little range of motion. based on his condition i think he'll come out of it okay. he was in pretty good spirits considering and the fact that he walked out and was able to deal with the pain makes me think that while the skeletal damage looked bad on the CT scan, it probably didn't leave him with much nerve or soft tissue damage. sucks he's up in roseville right now alone and busted. guess that's mountain bike racing.
    Damn, he and I were talking a little bit just before the start. He asked me if I'd ever done the race before, to which I said "no, but I know the course fairly well". He was riding a full-on cross country bike if I recall, I remember thinking the DH race would be pretty hairy on the bike he was on. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery, please give him my well wishes!

I'm a "she".

Should I post the photos of the result sheets?

I took some photos of the result sheets on Sunday afternoon. I believe they cover some XC categories and some early DH results, but not AM combined. Anyone care to squint at them? I have to ask because it's a bit time consuming to post the photos. I'll only do it if there is interest.
    Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    I took some photos of the result sheets on Sunday afternoon. I believe they cover some XC categories and some early DH results, but not AM combined. Anyone care to squint at them? I have to ask because it's a bit time consuming to post the photos. I'll only do it if there is interest.
    Sure, if you have Expert 35-45 Final results, I'd like to see them

mtbr member

down the rock ledge

Quote Originally Posted by beanfink
    i heard someone fell down that steep sketchy rock ledge? .

(BTW LizzleBot has hijacked Beanfink's account to bring you this message)
    Hi Liza, I know Morgan and meet you briefly in front of the Chris King booth. Glad to hear you are OK! Morgan was super stressed!

I know my buddy John Blackwell from the Sheila Moon team went off the edge. Fortunately he is ok and finished the race with only a few cuts and scrapes...whew!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    YES!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mudworm
    I would love to see them too!

~~~~~~~
    Kirt's Status- They haven't gotten MRI's back yet, but the neurosurgeon didn't think they needed to do any surgery - that he'd likely just be in a neck brace (not a halo...bummer. Those are sweet) for 3 months. Basically, that's the best news that he could have gotten given that c6 was literally split in half. Let's hope that the MRI confirms it. If the first opinion was correct, a teammate will be picking him up at the hospital tonight.

mtbr member

good job Ty and holy crap...kirt!

[QUOTE=Dirt_Diggler
    my buddy kirt fitzpatrick was heading into the expert AM 7th today and crashed on sunrise and broke three vertebrae in his neck. the medics did a poor job taking care of him. he walked out. we took him to grass valley hospital for a CT scan where they found the fractures- big fractures. then they transferred him to roseville. not sure if he'll need surgery or what. will know tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Nice work Ty! I've seen you descend, no doubt you would have been on the podium! Next year man!

Holy shite! WTF? This is the first I'm hearing about Kirt! Jezus! How can we get in touch with him? Whose taking care of Diego? Do we need to help him get back home? Let's make a plan to get him back.

Isaias

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvcx
    I believe Tim Olson got 6th just behind Menso! Who BTW out sprinted him in the final stretch. Damn that boy is fast!
    And just so we all know, iluvcx KICKED ASS and got 3rd expert, 19-34.

Yeah!

Morgan

I'm a "she".

There you have it.

Sorry, I don't have time to label them. You'll just have to click on the image to see the full-size, which seems very readable to me, hopefully to you too.

Since all the results will be published online, I hope I'm not violating anyone's privacy by doing this. Also, the pictures were taken on Sunday afternoon. They might be preliminary. If you see mistakes, please don't hold me against it. Also, beware, they seem to have done some cutting and pasting to shuffle people around in the XC result posting, so some columns do not make a lot of sense in some categories (such as Time Back).

Incomplete XC results (some categories):

Some, maybe all, DH results (not AM combined though):

Inch by inch, I will get there...
    ride reports | tracks | photos
    Green Chiclets are my favorite candy.

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jane
    KUDOS to the Downieville Clinic staff who all did such a fine job working real hard to support this great race!
    Yes, and big big thanks to Debbie Bonovich for all her help after Liza got went in the helicopter.

Debbie, you rock.

Morgan

Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    how long does it typically take before the official results are posted?....

bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    Last year's races were 7/14 & 7/15 I believe, and the results were posted 7/17.

Morgan

enter and win

Bex Volunteer Race Report

It's my 10th year at the Classic either racing or volunteering or both. This year turned out to be a quick volunteer-fest, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
    Saturday: Arrived at river jump time, and immediately received my assignment from Deb to be involved in the DH timing tent the next day.
    Watched the night time festivities from the WTB balcony. Very cool. Tame Saddletramps performance though....very family oriented this year~
    Slept in my wonderful Subaru in front of the library and was up at 5 to drive to the top.
    Checked over 200 DH racers....chip, helmet, number, name....do you remember that? Did you have fun? I hope so!
    Props to all the kids who had their ish totally dialled as far as which direction to have the zips, it's a learning curve and we hope to have everyone 100% next time!
    More props to all the timing crew up top: Metal, Chris, Padraic, the weigh in guy, Carrie of the amazing timing duo, and the awesome cool vibe up there in front of Sunrise even though you're all nervous as hell
    Back down to town by 3 and out by 5...fun times, thanks to all of you who said hi and sat a spell to talk! Hope you all had great experiences and I look forward to seeing you on the trails!

Surly OG
    Quote Originally Posted by morganfletcher
    And just so we all know, iluvcx KICKED ASS and got 3rd expert, 19-34.

Yeah!

Morgan

Iluvcx is Isaias?

ISAIAS Kicked Ass last year with a top 10 and KILLED it this year with a 3rd!!!!

Rock on Bro!

Roaring Mouse is a top shelf team to boot!
    Earn your turns. )'(

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by fritzaholic
    Conrad is a triathelte/ former Triathelete from tahoe.
    We all know who Dez is, right?
    Yuri is a former Soulcraft racer who is riding for Marin now, and usually does the endurance thing. Odd to see him on an SS 9er though. He pushed a 32x18. I was 32x19, and a lot of the other niners were 32x20. The 19 was a tough gear, and the only part I walked I got a massive side stich. Serves me right for walking.
    fritz, hey, that was me behind you for a bit telling you to "drink" sorry if it threw you off. i think i was mostly just thinking out loud to myself, trying to remind myself of how important it would be.

32x18 - OUCH. i ran 32x20. it really made the climb pretty easy, but i paid for it on all the fire road sections. 32x19 would have been nice, but i would have had to walk i'm sure on that last steep section after the water station at the top. next year, be fitter and stronger. there isn't much i could have done to make the race any faster except to be able to pedal on the roads more and to have avoided the flat and mechanical- which never should be an issue on a SS.

anyway, you doing howell or SSWC? i think that's gonna be the only other races i do this year.

-
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbecky
    Checked over 200 DH racers....chip, helmet, number, name....do you remember that? Did you have fun? I hope so!
    D'oh! That was YOU?

We've only chatted online and never met in person.

I would have been more chatty
    -ROXY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    I randomly met Mr. Crash, and we were lucky enough to watch the pros start up the first climb on Sunrise. We got to see Menso, Lopes, Simmons, etc. cranking that first climb.
    It was good to meet ya - glad you're okay after that fall! I can't imagine something going wrong on 3rd divide.

Just curious - was your race number 152?

"Audaces fortuna iuvat"
    Aug 2004

7/11 Sport Vet Men 35-44 1:13:41.7

I got 7th out of a whopping 11 entrants and didn't win AGAIN !!!

Lots of fun and lots of MTBR people up there made it exciting. Hope I get in again next year so I don't have to do the XC !

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by zx6roxy
    D'oh! That was YOU?

We've only chatted online and never met in person.

I would have been more chatty
    mtnbecky rocks she is awesome!!!
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by punkassean
    You're such a moose knuckle f-ing donkey Sean! Nice racin' dude.

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    how many guys were entered in the xc for sport men 35-44?...

only 11???...i must have been last then (around 3:20)...ouch!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher
    how many guys were entered in the xc for sport men 35-44?...

only 11???...i must have been last then (around 3:20)...ouch!
    that's the DH he's talking about. 86 entrants in 35-44 sport class. i had 3:19 and change and that was "good" for 56th (at least according to the sheets posted sunday around 8:30a).

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    thanks...that's what i thought...i was right around your time, but didn't stick around to see the results.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Singletrack Addict
    You're such a moose knuckle f-ing donkey Sean! Nice racin' dude.
    Ayyyy Rocky, watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat! ha-ha...

Thanks, if this is who I think it is, then you too!

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCrash
    It was good to meet ya - glad you're okay after that fall! I can't imagine something going wrong on 3rd divide.

Just curious - was your race number 152?
    Yea, it was cool to meet you too. I enjoyed chatting with you throughout the race. Pre nerves, post exhaustion, and finish stoke.

I just got back from the doctor, and praise the Mountain Bike Gods, nothing broken. I am truely blessed.

EDIT: I am still truly blessed, but the Radiologist found compressions and irregularities in the T1 vertebrae. I just need take it easy while it heals in 4-6 weeks. I can still hold my 1 year old

Yep, I was #152.

P
    Last edited by Mr.P; 07-17-2008 at 06:11 PM.

menace to myself & others
    Aug 2005
    Wow. I hope Kirt's ok!

Scary.

I hear Blackwell's fine, though.

I dig trails!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbecky
    involved in the DH timing tent the next day...More props to all the timing crew up top: Metal, Chris, Padraic, the weigh in guy, Carrie of the amazing timing duo, and the awesome cool vibe up there in front of Sunrise even though you're all nervous as hell.
    Thanks for you work, all of you ran it as smooth as a baby's bottom. Very comforting when you are a bundle of nerves.

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sashax
    Wow. I hope Kirt's ok!

Scary.

I hear Blackwell's fine, though.
    John??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0