Chilling out

So Fritz came to Austin

He had a small adventure.

His flight was delayed one day for weather.

But in the end, he rejoined with his Niner.

And went to City Park for an early, brisk (28F at the start), ride with a Bear.

It's a short loop, only 6 miles or so, yet very pleasing to the palate.

We actually didn't stop for a *lot* of pixels, but did get a few...

... Fritz almost cleans a step sequence, early in the ride ...

click image-as-link for h.264 video, play it with VideoLAN player.

... and later figures out a different one, rather nicely ...

click image-as-link for h.264 video, play it with VideoLAN player.
    ... makes sloppy climbs look easy on that Big Wheel Bike ...

... and nicely clears the Mental Lurch req'd to pass this ledge ...

amar la vida de dos niner
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    ... and nicely clears the Mental Lurch req'd to pass this ledge ...
    Nicely done! There's a big penalty for missing that one, that you can't really see in the pic. I'm impressed.

Is he gonna be here over the weekend? If so, he'll get a taste of our 70-degree weather.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

Chilling out
    He's receiving a custom GB Grand Loupe tomorrow. Don't know for sure how long he's here but probably through the weekend.

mtbr member
    Great pics Ted and awesome ride this AM.

Yup, it was a lot colder than expected but it warmed up quickly and by noon I was out again in Walnut Creek in shorts and no shell.

Looks like there's better weather coming this weekend unlike back home which apparently got 30cm of snow today. SUCKERS!!!

Here's a few more pics of the morning ride. There's quite a few large ledges/step-up at Emma which take a fairly strong commitment to clear. The final pic is another angle of the finial pic posted by Ted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    So after the quick trip home, I had enough time to refuel, make some adjustments to the Niner and then it was off to meet Lee at Walnut Creek.

I took my son Riley along as well since Walnut seemed to be a little more buffed.

It was an awesome outing and Lee was kind enough to show us a little over 12 miles of Walnut's best. Riley managed to hammer out a solid 1:40 min of riding which was impressive considering he hadn't been on a bike since November:

Although technically easier than Emma, Walnut had lots of great stuff to keep us entertained:

Chilling out
    obviously, my bike climbs better without me than with me.

mtbr member
    Berms, berms, and more berms in Walnut.

Some of them natural and some of them built-up with some awesome trail work. Kudos to Austin group for the quality of workmanship.

As the day progressed, Lee was getting more comfortable in front of the camera... until the third pic that is. Yup, that back end kept coming around and he stuffed it really good. The signs of a great guide is commitment to entertain his guests at all expenses - and that he did!

mtbr member
    Cool. Those pics of the ledge with bear's quasi propped on it really put it into perspective. That's quite a lunge. Nice work Fritz.

Would I get the same local tour if I were to go to Austin to visit my brother? That looks like some fun riding...... espcially since all my trails are buried under 2-4 feet of snow.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Cool. Those pics of the ledge with bear's quasi propped on it really put it into perspective. That's quite a lunge. Nice work Fritz.

Would I get the same local tour if I were to go to Austin to visit my brother? That looks like some fun riding...... espcially since all my trails are buried under 2-4 feet of snow.
    If those showing Fritz around are busy when you come, there's always lots of friendly (and capable) folks available. Just ask! (Here or on Bike Mojo's Austin board.)

I'm missing Fritz this weekend, I'm afraid--12 hr race today, and probably saddle sore tomorrow. Glad you are having fun, Fritz. You are gonna *love* your ride today. There's a little bit of everything on the Greenbelt....

mtbr member
    nice...is your little kid riding clipless? and i think his bike is valued more than mine
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

caninus xerophilous
    You are an awsome dad.

mtbr member

Day 2

After yesterday's great outings to Emma and Walnut it was hard to believe that Austin had more to offer but it did.

Barton Creek Trail is a popular trail network pretty much in the heart of Austin. While the main branch is 7 miles long, there's close to 40 miles of sweet twisty technical singletrack up in the bowls and side slopes.

Ted took me out for a massive 37 mile outing. It was some of the best stuff I've ever done.

One of the biggest downers about MTBing is finding that incredible singeltrack only to finish it in one hour. What makes Barton so amazing is that the singletrack doesn't end. We literally hammered out over 4 hours of crazy fun singletrack.

Some of my favorite trails were the Dump Truck, Ed's Bowl, and Rattlesnake.

To top the day off I went to Salt Lick for for tasty Texas eating!

Tomorrow I'm going to hit Rocky Hill Ranch and later the BMX loop at Walnut with my son before breaking down the bikes for Monday's flight.

Once again, HUGE thanks to Ted for showing me around. I also enjoyed Dwaye and Fernando's company for several hours before they had skip out early to doll up for the Carnivale tonight.

Chilling out
    Fritz is a pretty hoopy frood.

KRob, yes, post-up, PM, whatever. Good things happen to good people. They may even happen to you.

Now working on pix for today's ride, for new thread...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob

I hear ya on the downer of snow. I haven't ridden singletrack since the first snowfall in November. Sometimes you can ride the trails after hikers pack the stuff down (and a shot of freezing rain with studded tires), but this winter had been bad for giving the trail time to firm up. It seems like there's fresh snow every few days.

The Austin locals have been really cool about shoing me around - I'm sure they'd be more than happy to share their singletrack wealth when you come into town.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cata1yst
    nice...is your little kid riding clipless? and i think his bike is valued more than mine
    Nope, flat pedals for the next few years. I don't mind him trying some crazy stuff so long as I know he can quickly ditch the bike if he's about to bail.

Riley's Brodie Menace is a really sweet rig. I think I picked his up for $700 Cdn including taxes. Not bad for a 4" Marzocchi fork with mechanical discs, ISIS crankset with bash ring.

I've "blinged" it up with old parts but the most important upgrade was getting him 24" Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires (hey, he asked Santa for some!). They were a HUGE improvement in weight and rolling resistance to the Brodie spec'd Tioga DH tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    If those showing Fritz around are busy when you come, there's always lots of friendly (and capable) folks available. Just ask! (Here or on Bike Mojo's Austin board.)

I'm missing Fritz this weekend, I'm afraid--12 hr race today, and probably saddle sore tomorrow. Glad you are having fun, Fritz. You are gonna *love* your ride today. There's a little bit of everything on the Greenbelt....
    I'm having a blast. Seriously, this is probably the best MTB trip I've ever done.

It's not just the trails, but the city as a whole. Incredible vibe.

Bummer I didn't get a chance to meet you Scorpionwoman but I've got a feeling I'll be back down to Austin for a vist next winter.

Chilling out

And yet, more pixels...

Sorry, no video today.

Just a couple more shotz.

Fritz, when you come back to visit, bring a 100oz camelback (or borrow one...)

A couple of goofs at a view

Cruising the 'belt

Snaking up into new territory

Blipping up the off-camber limestone ...

... and across ...

... and down

Flight Fritz-Niner on final approach...

... touchdown!

( for the record, he got up on top the wall w/o problem but didn't believe me on how much speed he needed to carry to keep rolling. ;^) )

And just for clarity, the landing zone

FYI, Fritz was a Lucky Charm for me today. I was riding MONSTROUSLY well today, cleaning stuff I'd been missing, cleaning stuff I'd never cleaned, climbing stuff I should not have been able to climb after cleaning the stuff I'd, er, cleaned. You know what I mean, totally fabulous ride.

Only one dark blot was a really awesome endo that Fritz pulled off, complete with the double-360 sideways backflip. Chunked a bit out of one of his shoulders but he troopered on for the rest of the ride. I hope he remembers to take some ibuprophen (or other analgesic).

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman
    Berms, berms, and more berms in Walnut.

Some of them natural and some of them built-up with some awesome trail work. Kudos to Austin group for the quality of workmanship.

As the day progressed, Lee was getting more comfortable in front of the camera... until the third pic that is. Yup, that back end kept coming around and he stuffed it really good. The signs of a great guide is commitment to entertain his guests at all expenses - and that he did!

I need to learn that when someone says, "hey can u do that again so I can take a picture" things are going to get interesting.

Fritz my leg is feeling fine now, just a little skin missing thats all.

Lee

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Fritz,

It was great to meet and ride with you. You've got some skillz, mang! You cleaned sections of trail hitherto sight unseen that some riders have yet to conquer. Look us up again when you're in Austin or central Texas. Just don't talk too well about my little town. I'll look you up if I'm ever in the Ottawa area.

Ted,

Thanks for letting Nando and I roll with you for a while. FYI, we had a BLAST at Carnaval Brasileiro. I didn't get to bed until 4 AM.

D

mtbr member

Day 3 - it's a wrap!

I decided to finish my trip with a visit to Rocky Hill Ranch. After Emma, Barton, and Walnut, it's apparently the next best place to visit.

I was looking forward to different terrain and fast rolling singletrack. Once I finally found the singletrack, Rocky Hill Ranch didn't disappoint.

Despite being quite tired and having sketchy trail conditions with wet golf-ball sized rocks, I managed another 2.5 hours of steady riding.

After 3 days I recorded 11 hours of actual riding time and 90% of I'd consider premium singletrack. I've ridden in quite a few States, and Austin definitely ranks amongst the best.

Quote Originally Posted by fritZman
    I decided to finish my trip with a visit to Rocky Hill Ranch. After Emma, Barton, and Walnut, it's apparently the next best place to visit.

I was looking forward to different terrain and fast rolling singletrack. Once I finally found the singletrack, Rocky Hill Ranch didn't disappoint.

Despite being quite tired and having sketchy trail conditions with wet golf-ball sized rocks, I managed another 2.5 hours of steady riding.

After 3 days I recorded 11 hours of actual riding time and 90% of I'd consider premium singletrack. I've ridden in quite a few States, and Austin definitely ranks amongst the best.
    Hey, Fritz. Sorry I didn't meet you this trip. Maybe next time??

Rocky Hill is fun, isn't it? Different enough from our terrain to warrant the 45-minute drive for us Austinites. But yes, there's plenty of rocks.

[Dewayne, those are great shots of the costumes! Hope everyone had a blast.]

Chilling out
    Dewayne, I said this elsewhere about the pix but it bears repeating...

w00t w00t w00t w00t w00t

Fritz, Sunday was SO much moist in the morning, arrgh! Glad you had fun at RhR though. If it had rained for real out there it could have been UGLY (some of the red-ish clay area on the climb up/down from the parking area to the top of the bluff becomes chunky-style peanut-butter - blecch), but with it just morning dew you were safe(r).

I love the Niner Cow picture.

Very glad you had a good time in town. You come through again sometime there's who bunches other trail you haven't seen, so you know who to call. We'll even coordinate and make sure we get Scorpionwoman out with us just on pricipal. :P

OH, and for the record, I think most every chick in Dewayne's pixels is a solid rider (I would not be so boastful to claim I know them all). But the lady in the red dress 3rd from the left is Nando's wife Rocio of whom I was talking to you about Saturday.

Yes Nando, Rocio was getting bragged about. :P

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpionwoman
    [Dewayne, those are great shots of the costumes! Hope everyone had a blast.]
    Oh, yeah. Everyone in our group seemed to have a great time. I danced enough to not have to worry about missing out on a Sunday ride. I didn't get to sleep until 4 AM anyway, so I wouldn't have been very energetic on the trail.

D

mtbr member
    Here's a thread back from the dead.

I'm heading to Austin on holidays again (Feb 2 - Feb 7) in large part due to the *awesome* riding and riders. I'm just checking to see if any of the gang is around and interested in hooking up?

Flying with my MTB was a PITA so the plan is to rent this time around.

Soooo stoked to ride.

Fritz
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Damn I'm jealous. I'm only 2 1/2 hours away in Houston and you've ridden more of Austin than I have!!!

the train keeps rollin
    best part of this thread is the purple funbags.
    beaver hunt

Members who have read this thread: 0