Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anyone heading to Weaverville for the State Championships?

5K views 48 replies 16 participants last post by  NAYR751 
#1 · (Edited)
If so, would you like to carpool and camp? I'll be bringing my DH and XC bike, but have a five bike rack, so I've got a few slots available. I will be leaving Friday the 19th morning (supeD is at 5 pm Friday), and returning Sunday night.

To those of you on the fence on this one: I rode/race the Super D, DH, and XC course in May during the 12 hr/Gravity Day weekend, and they are totally worth it. I'm going up there just for the one mile of amazing singletrack that concludes the DH course.

Edit: Yes JL, I just took over the van for the weekend. You're invited, but you've got that stupid golf tournament :nono:
Edit2: Leaving from San Jose, and willing to go a little out of the way

#2 ·
Good luck

Hey Menso,
Good luck up there this weekend! I'm sure you'll do well. The trails will be in even better shape than they were in May, there's been a few storms - so the dust will be settled, and the traction will be better. Bring warm clothes, it was cold up there in the mornings last weekend.

#3 ·
I'll be there!

For the XC race. And Menso the XC course has more singletrack than was used in the 12 hr race! This is probably my favorite XC after after Lemurian. More rain is in the forecast for next week so the dust will be gone, conditions will be perfect. :thumbsup:

#4 ·
I'll be there for the XC

My inlaws live in Weaverville so I'll be there for the XC on Saturday. I agree with the others that this race is loaded with super fun single track and flume trails. I rode some of the new trails with my father inlaw a month or so ago and I'm thinking this is the extra .5 miles or so added to the course for a total of 22.5 miles. It can be a bit of a haul to get there from the Bay Area, but you'll thank yourself later, for doing it! The Weaver Basin Trail System is truly is an out of the way gem. :thumbsup:
Cheers!

#6 ·
rj2 said:
I'm racing Sport 45-49 XC. I have the NorCal points championship wrapped up, so the final race is for all the marbles.

I'm leaving SJ Friday around 10 AM with the wife and dog. Where are you camping?
The best camping is at the E Weaver Campground. The course runs very close to the campground, and you can ride to the starting line if you like, takes around 20 mins tops.

#8 ·
rj2 said:
I'm racing Sport 45-49 XC. I have the NorCal points championship wrapped up, so the final race is for all the marbles.

I'm leaving SJ Friday around 10 AM with the wife and dog. Where are you camping?
Do you have room for me and two bikes? That would be awesome. It's a long drive to do alone, both monetarily and time-wise.

#16 ·
rj2 said:
I think so, I'll ask the wife. What else are you bringing along?
Not much else. A compressed backpacking sleeping bag, sleeping mat, some food. I'll basically be living in lycra all weekend. Ewww. If you need a tent (and other camping gear), I can grab ours. It easily sleeps 4 or 5.

#17 · (Edited)
Menso said:
Not much else. A compressed backpacking sleeping bag, sleeping mat, some food. I'll basically be living in lycra all weekend. Ewww. If you need a tent (and other camping gear), I can grab ours. It easily sleeps 4 or 5.
I'm only racing XC. What events are you entering? We were planning on returning Saturday after the awards. If you're racing Super D on Friday I'm not sure we can make it up with much time to spare.

Edit: Never mind, I finally re-read your original post. So much for reading comprehension.

#19 ·
rj2 said:
I'm only racing XC. What events are you entering? We were planning on returning Saturday after the awards. If you're racing Super D on Friday I'm not sure we can make it up with much time to spare.

Edit: Never mind, I finally re-read your original post. So much for reading comprehension.
Given a 10am departure, there should be no problem making the 5pm superD, and I've already done the course a few times so I don't really need a practice run, though if we make it up there at 4 there might still be time. I'm fine with going up for the Friday SuperD and Saturday XC. If I find someone up there who's heading back to the Bay Area Sunday with room for me and my bikes, I could stay for the DH and STXC, but those aren't too important.
PM with details, if I can get a ride.

#20 ·
Menso said:
If so, would you like to carpool and camp? I'll be bringing my DH and XC bike, but have a five bike rack, so I've got a few slots available. I will be leaving Friday the 19th morning (supeD is at 5 pm Friday), and returning Sunday night.

To those of you on the fence on this one: I rode/race the Super D, DH, and XC course in May during the 12 hr/Gravity Day weekend, and they are totally worth it. I'm going up there just for the one mile of amazing singletrack that concludes the DH course.

Edit: Yes JL, I just took over the van for the weekend. You're invited, but you've got that stupid golf tournament :nono:
Edit2: Leaving from San Jose, and willing to go a little out of the way
I have a camper van, but probably won't leave till Saturday afternoon. Also leaving from San Jose, might have room for 1 or 2. Only doing the DH on Sunday. Would do the Super-D, but don't want to hang around on Saturday doing nothing (not into XC).

If anyone is interested, ping me.

#21 ·
Isn't it the weekend of the 19-21, not this weekend, right?

On second thought, might make the whole weekend. I have an errand to run in Chico, may leave Thursday night, but have to make a detour. Does that work for anyone? I can do practice runs after 1:30 on Saturday for the DH, and can do the Super-D for grins (without practice) Friday night.

#22 ·
I was up there Saturday and rode the course. really fun
Ran into Lemurian Guy up there. helped us get back on course. It was mainly dry with only one section on Musser Hill climb in the trees was slimy and clingy but other than that the course ripped. no downed trees or any obstructions at all. saw about 6 others riding it also. local pros and such. as we were coming from the course they were heading up for a 2nd lap . from what I understand there will not be to much rain this week. so it should be sweet :thumbsup:

#24 ·
ccmtbrcr said:
Ran into Lemurian Guy up there. helped us get back on course. It was mainly dry with only one section on Musser Hill climb in the trees was slimy and clingy but other than that the course ripped. no downed trees or any obstructions at all. saw about 6 others riding it also. local pros and such. as we were coming from the course they were heading up for a 2nd lap . from what I understand there will not be to much rain this week. so it should be sweet :thumbsup:
I'm glad I ran into you guys, I had really fun time. The current weather forecast is calling mostly for showers this week with the exception of rain on Wednesday. The most of the course dries really well with the exception of the bottom of Musser Hill and the first 1/2 mile or so out of the high school. Both of those sections have lots of clingy, slimy red clay (just like out at Shasta Dam for you old timers). My Ignitors filled up immediately so I'm contemplating running a better mud tire.

#25 ·
Gps Profile

ccmtbrcr said:
Did anyone happen to get a GPS profile of the course, that they could post for all to see?

#26 · (Edited)
Jski1911 said:
Did anyone happen to get a GPS profile of the course, that they could post for all to see?
I don't have (or want!) that type of gear. But I'd guess there is 2600-2800 ft of climbing. After you reach the top at around mile 12 there is 1 more short but significant climb at about mile 18-19. On Saturday it was very loose, rocky and steep. My rear wheel spun out and I had to push. The whole climb takes less than 5 minutes, but its significant because its steep and its toward the end where people will be fatigued.

Edit: I'm heading up there again tomorrow, weather permitting. I'll try to remember my camera and take a few pics of what might be some really nasty mud! Having said that, there are only a couple of short sections that contain sticky, gooey mud. The rest of the course drains well and was in excellent shape on Saturday. I also noted that the course dries quickly, as we returned to the start the trails were noticeably drier than on the way out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.