mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Norfolk Va Area Riders

Just wanted to let everyone know here in the Norfolk VA area that Indian River park, better known as Ipswich, that we are cleaning the trail up. HOpefully byt he end of January the loop will be makred and fallen trees and all the leaves on the trail will be cleared. THe trail is rideable as of today January 23, the loop is approximately 3 miles long. It will be a decent after work place to ride in the Norfolk & VB area. We have a map of the trail if anyone is interested, this will help navigate the route but along wihtthe work being done you will be able to see the trail. I will let everyone know when the trial is marked and cleaned but l;ike I dsaid it is rideable now.

Watts Up?

That's Cool

Quote Originally Posted by blackyz125
    Just wanted to let everyone know here in the Norfolk VA area that Indian River park, better known as Ipswich, that we are cleaning the trail up. HOpefully byt he end of January the loop will be makred and fallen trees and all the leaves on the trail will be cleared. THe trail is rideable as of today January 23, the loop is approximately 3 miles long. It will be a decent after work place to ride in the Norfolk & VB area. We have a map of the trail if anyone is interested, this will help navigate the route but along wihtthe work being done you will be able to see the trail. I will let everyone know when the trial is marked and cleaned but l;ike I dsaid it is rideable now.
    I live in Va Bch and have often heard of the old Ipswitch but have never ridden it. Wasn't there actually races there "back in the day".

Is it possible to gat a copy of a map?

Great job on reopening it. If you need help just holler, I know a number of people that have talked about fixing it up.

JB
    RideOn!

JB

l Love2Ride and Ushould2!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Should Be Good

Ipswich has tons of possibilities. You can get a map but it is has now changed and i have been unable to edit it, I will post on MTBR site when its ready. I should have a map of the new loop (found new trial to add) this week sometime. I hopefully will be able to post it in the trial review section of this site. I can turn it into a JPEG and hopefully I can get a large version laminated and mount it at the trail head.

Watts Up?

How about a GPS.

Ipswich has tons of possibilities. You can get a map but it is has now changed and i have been unable to edit it, I will post on MTBR site when its ready. I should have a map of the new loop (found new trial to add) this week sometime. I hopefully will be able to post it in the trial review section of this site. I can turn it into a JPEG and hopefully I can get a large version laminated and mount it at the trail head.
    I can get out there and run a GPS if you want. I've done it on many other trails. It doesn't work quite as well on really close trails that double back on themselves alot, but I'd be glad to give it a try. Just need directions to the trailhead. I know sorta where it is but not totally sure.

JB
    RideOn!

JB

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

We Can Work Something Out

Yeah that would be great, and that is the thing on the map I have to change. The map as it stands now doubles back, there are two parallel trails out there and that is what has canged, we no longer go down both, just one, it makes much more like a loop and it keeps the loop out of the BMX jump runs that are out there. Ill see if I can get something to you today, a better represnetaion of what the loop is we are working. I will need your email add, its a PDF so you will need Acrobat Reader.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

photo of the loop is up

Photo of the loop at Ipswich is up at MTBR trail reviews for anoyone who wants to check it out.

Watts Up?

Here it is

Photo of the loop at Ipswich is up at MTBR trail reviews for anoyone who wants to check it out.
    Here's the map. All credit goes to blackyz125 for creation. Only thing I did was post it!
    Nice work. I'll have a camera out on Friday for a shoot if anyone wants to show up. Say 11-2 or so. Let me know.

Trail head is Miller Ave. at red star.

Hey - I used to race a YZ125 years ago! What's that yz125 in your handle?

JB
    RideOn!

JB

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

the YZ 125 is exactly what you think it is

I have quit racing motocross and now riding a bike, cant afford to break bones as much as I did racing. I just got rid of my 2003 yz 125 less than a year ago, now trying to get the adrenaline flowing with a MTB

Adobo Lover
    My parent's still live down there. Where is ipswitch located at again(landmarks) coming from the Little Creek area? Good excuse to bring the mtb when I come home. Thanks,

bob
    mtbr member

Blast from the past.

I can't believe Ipswitch is still around and looks like things are good. I used to ride Ipswitch in the late 80's. It was pretty much a defunct bmx park then. If I remember corectly, the trail left the wooded park area, went accross a field with powerlines, and then went into some more woods that bordered Military Hgwy (?) near a car dealership. I had a lot of fun on my '88 Fisher HK II back there. We used to ride the incinerator area around ODU as well. I'm sure that's gone by now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Little Creek Area

Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy
    My parent's still live down there. Where is ipswitch located at again(landmarks) coming from the Little Creek area? Good excuse to bring the mtb when I come home. Thanks,

What part of the LIttle Creek Area? I lived in the Wards Corner area for most of my life. The Trail is near the intersection of MIlitary Hwy and Indian River Rd closer to Providence Rd in Chesapeake. There are several ways to get there though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

bob you are right.

BOb your memory serves you well, the trail does exactly that, the loop pictrued goes thru the small opening where the power lines are and back into the woods. The trails are rideable, we are slowly cleaning it up, the map I have made is a pdf file and has little pop-up notes to help navigate you thru the loop we have made, I havent been able to clean up much out there, but the loop is passable, mainly just leave coverage, we will by the end of the month have the loop cleaned up and marked, there are lots of little trials everywhe out there, but if you study the map a bit and read the pop ups on the map when your reading then once you get back into the woods you will have no problem following the loop. I have "concentrated the cleaning of leaves to mainly where its possible to make a worng turn, if your riding the loop and see where you can go right or left, take the turn where you see some of the trail cleaned, I have also used branches and sticks to sort of block off the other trails in which you might make a wrong turn on. The loop is approixmately 3 miles long, it still needs alot of clearing as far as leaves and such to see the trail more easily but its getting there. There is also someone going out there this weekend with a chainsaw to clear a few down trees that block the paths, wherever a tree is down right now there is a small single track clearing to get around it, but hopefully all tress will be removed soon.

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    I graduated from ODU in '89 and that was my first mtb ride! I just rode to stay in shape for snowboarding and never knew that mountain biking would take over my life! Good luck with your clean up and ride a lap for me.
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

Adobo Lover
    Down by St Pius, more towards the amphib base. I've been to ipswitch before, but it's been so long ago.

Adobo Lover
    Go Monarchs! Class of 95 and 97

bob
    mtbr member

We need a Monarch forum!

Class of '93. Any of you guys been by ODU recently? I hadn't seen it in about 7 years and couldn't believe all the changes and new buildings.

4400 club, rest in peace. Let's all pause now to remember the $5.00 pitchers.

Hey, 95stumpy, I didn't remember you until I read the "pinoy" in your tag. We talked about eating adobo and balut in the Yeti forum awhile back.
    Last edited by bob; 01-27-2006 at 09:23 AM.

Watts Up?

The Switch is Lookin' Good

Went out there this afternoon. The trail will be wicked fast. Needs to be marked and ridden in, so get out there and ride! Nice work by all involved. The tight twisty sections are nice, and there could be more. Saw some recent chainsaw work. Good job. Wanna schedule a work day sometime when we can meet out there?

Wtigers - Just out Military highway past Indian River Road, left on Miller Ave.

Put a few pictures up on the blog,

JB
    RideOn!

JB

And if not, why not?
    Jan 2004

I wonder if any one could help me

Hi I'm new to this site ,(I'm actually going under my boyriend's user name) I'm looking for good trails in your area. I'm thinking of taking my boy friend on a mtb xc trip for his birthday at the end of feb. So if any one could tell me if there's good riding in feb and where it is. He rides a hard tail but loves technical single track and roots and rocks.

Watts Up?

Gonna have to be more specific

[QUOTE=guava]Hi I'm new to this site ,(I'm actually going under my boyriend's user name) I'm looking for good trails in your area. I'm thinking of taking my boy friend on a mtb xc trip for his birthday at the end of feb. So if any one could tell me if there's good riding in feb and where it is. He rides a hard tail but loves technical single track and roots and rocks.[/QUOTE

Looking at your profile I see you're from NY. How long do you have and how far are you planning on going? I assume you're heading south because of the weather? Are you planning on Norfolk, Va Bch for any reason? Richmond might be more central to more trails, but a bit colder.

Fill us in, we'll be glad to help.
    RideOn!

JB

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Thanks to Big AL & JohnBSpinning

Im stoked on the response Ipswich is gettting. I want to let everyone know that Big Al is the one doing the majority of work out there wiht the fallen trees and such. He is out there right now on Saturday the 28th, clearing more trial. Im stuck here at work but will be getting out there sometime today. Also a big thanks to John B, for his work out there as well, he actually started working th trail closest to Drew Rd which was definitly needed as the trail was hard to follow back there. Well I geuss my whole idea of having a great after work place to ride is going to happen due to the work evryone is putting in. To those interested hit John B Spinngs blog, and keep coming back here to the forum for updates and how to help. Contact me if interested in working out there. If anyone reading this has a decent wood shop at home, we need some decent arrows cutr from some 1/4" plywood or soemthing that can hold up to wind to put on the trees out there to show the direction in which to ride. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I checked out Ipswich yesterday for the 1st time. I met Big Al and another rider (sorry, don't know your board name) just as I was starting out. I hooked up with them. The place is worth the check, especially since it's on my side of the water and only a few miles from the house. I had just put my new bike build together and wanted to test it out (Specialized Stump HT). I also met another rider just as I was leaving - sweet Trek 9.8. I'll definitely be back afterwork when we get longer days and the occasional weekend.
    Big props to Big Al and his buddy as they were going to clear another log after their ride. And to the Trek 9.8 with his work on the trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

good to hear people are checking it out agian or for the first time

Yeah a few of us met out there Saturday, Big Al, Wtigers, and myself and raked alot of the trial and discussed the "vision" for the loop. The loop which is posted is rideable, and about 3 miles, but the proposed trail will now be about 4.5 milles, there is still some work to be done, we need some trail markers out there and a few bridges to complete the proposed loop. Thanks for everyone's efforts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Yesterday

Yeah I Was Out There Bright And Early Before 9 For A Quick Before Work Ride And Had A Blast Just Riding Through What We Cleaned Up On Saturday. Thanks To Big Al And Friend (craig) For Cutting Up The Monstrous Trees That The Evil (biatch) Isabell Had Thrown All Over The Trail. Yesterday's Ride Was Very Fun With A Cleaner Trail. Big Thanks To Blackyz125, Big Al And Friend(s) For Cleaning This Weekend. It Was Much Needed. Will Be Out There Off And On During The Week After 4, Weather Permitting

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Blast from the Past

I know im not the only one to say this......but i havent heard anything about Ipswitch for about 10 years( that was when they used to steal your bike out there).....do people still ride Tarmac too?.......way look forward to riding Ipswitch trail this week(60F) ...is anyone else?.......i will definitly give some time to the trail.......lets make log piles over the trees .....keep ridin

Adobo Lover
    Bob that's too funny that your an alumnus. Small world huh? ODU has changed from when we were there. Awww 4400. The first time I've ever been kicked out for passing out at the bar was there. Where are you at now?

Adobo Lover
    Sounds like a good excuse to bring the bike down the next time I visit my parents.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Riding on Tues.

Going to ride the trail on Tuesday in the afternoon...anyone going to be there....it is supposed to be nice......looking forward to the new trail.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm Wednesday

Quote Originally Posted by beachbike
    Going to ride the trail on Tuesday in the afternoon...anyone going to be there....it is supposed to be nice......looking forward to the new trail.....
    Yesterday was not good for me (V-DAY) but today is. I will be out there after 4pm today. Come out if you can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

tues. ride

Me and a friend rode on tuesday....trail was fun......flat and fast....it would be cool to build some stunts(teter tater(sp), balance log) but it was still fun.....missed have of the trail i think.....wish i had the nuts to jump some of those jumps ......will pobably ride my seeshore lop on thursday and maybe Ipswitch on friday.......

ride on

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm

Me and a friend rode on tuesday....trail was fun......flat and fast....it would be cool to build some stunts(teter tater(sp), balance log) but it was still fun.....missed have of the trail i think.....wish i had the nuts to jump some of those jumps ......will pobably ride my seeshore lop on thursday and maybe Ipswitch on friday.......

ride on

Yeah it is a trail to get your stamina up thats for sure. If you didnt go at least 2-1/2 miles back there on one loop you missed a lot of it. There are a few areas that look like it may be unpassable but there are ways around or under things. Yeah the more jumps that could end up out there the better, I agree. The BMX jumps are insane and yes you really do need to be adventurous to get on those damn things.

Ride on

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Updates and E-mail info

ride.ipswich@yahoo.com

anyone that wants to know more info about anything going on with Indian River Park (Ipswich) email the address above. There will be more updates to come.
    This was sent out today.

we had a encouraging talk with Robert Clifton last week about Indian river park. they (the city of Ches.) are open to a group, such as the evma, cleaning up, building bridges, and maintaining a xc loop. risk management is assessing the bridges and will advise on the width, height, and if they need railing. we are pushing for a standard 24 - 36 in. wide, ladder style. we have commitments of funds for bridges from BIKE BEAT and ALL ABOUT BIKES.
    the Thursday night ride should be on for 6:30 if not raining.
    spread the word about Ipswich and this news letter, the more people riding and getting involved the better! brian

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I know im not the only one to say this......but i havent heard anything about Ipswitch for about 10 years( that was when they used to steal your bike out there).....do people still ride Tarmac too?.......way look forward to riding Ipswitch trail this week(60F) ...is anyone else?.......i will definitly give some time to the trail.......lets make log piles over the trees .....keep ridin
    Dude I haven't heard anyone mention Tarmac in ages!

I bet you and I know each other and have ridden together before. ASAIK only a handful of people ever rode Tarmac and I was one of the first few to cut the first trails in there WAY back in the day.

Did you use to hang out at either Oceanfront Bikes or North End Cyclery?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for posting that map. I tried this trail a week ago and wasn't too impressed, but then I found out I had no idea how the trail was set. I think though that the directions should be changed if the trail head is going to be at Miller. I started at the park entrance and there seem to be a lot of small off shoots going no where on that side of things.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Just checked it out the last week. Awesome job! Thanks for the bridges of the water areas, who ever made them. Great trail right nearby. All of you should check it out. Way better than Harwood Mills, not so many roots. And if you are brave you can take some BMX jumps. Some of them are fun. Hope to see you all out there

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Found the trail by accident looking for a geocache last weekend. Came back with the bike on Memorial Day, and rode quite a bit of the loop without seeing the map.

This place is great! i really wanted to ride this weekend, but the rain killed today.
    --Rick
    Portsmouth, VA

'05 Iron Horse Warrior Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rode there today for 90 min. Great fun! Avoid the paintballers.
    --Rick
    Portsmouth, VA

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I like riding at Ipswich except for all of the flats! Were the paintballers shooting at you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    The paintballers did not shoot at me, but I also steered well clear of them. I talked to a few who had left the battle area to rest, and decided not to ride thru the area where I could hear or see them. The paint ball guns appear to have quite a range, and these guys were really letting them fly.

I spoke to an older man walking a very large german shepard when I left, and he was angry about the paintballers. He said they are not supposed to be in the park, and left trash and debris, let alone the paint on the trees, and loose paintballs on the ground. He said the police won't come if you call them.

He asked me if I was part of the bike club that worked on the trails, and I told him not yet, but I'd read about the work done here. He seemed to have a very positive view on the work done in the park, and welcomed bike riders.

So you guys are have great PR with the locals, and deserve the credit for the work you've done in the park.

Good Job!
    --Rick
    Portsmouth, VA

hardtails rule!!!
    Jun 2006
    two 4-wheelers really tore the bike trails up last tuesday! if anyone sees any illegal stuff, like paintballers, drugs, motorized vehicals, etc..., call the police! they will come. if any one wants to help with the trails, join the evma at evma.org , and send a email to ride.ipswich@yahoo.com -brian

Members who have read this thread: 0