mtbr member

LED light review - DiNotte 5W and L&M Vega 4W

The end of Daylight Savings time means 5 night commutes every week, plus our regular evening rides. Some of you will know that I've been using DIY LED lights for many years. Commuting, even if your commute is half on trails like mine, does not demand as much light as regular trail rides, so I was interested in these 2 medium powered LED lights when they became available. I've reviewed both separately, and added some comparison data at the end of the post

Warning, this is a long!

DiNotte 5W:

Specs
    The DiNotte uses a 5W Luxeon emitter, driven from 4 AA batteries via a boost circuit that provides 2 power levels (Full/Medium). The battery pack is designed to attach to your stem, and the lamp to the handlebars. It is delivered with a good helmet mount, O-rings for different bar sizes. The batteries & charger are from the Battery Station. Run time is 1.75 on High, and 3hs on medium. The complete unit as mounted is 208gm. Suggested price is ~$250. Optional C cell battery pack and elliptical beam optics are available.

The lamp head mounts with a large O-ring onto any part of the bar. It comes with 2 different sized o-rings to accommodate the different bar sizes. Although the light is easily re-directed (like when you are changing the brightness level) it stays put where it's pointed - fast rocky descent on a rigid fork (my ultimate test that has knocked many a light off the bar) didn't budge it. Crashes will not break the mounting hardware, and the O-ring is easily replaceable. However, the battery pack is strapped under the stem, and the stock strap & bag bounces around a fair bit (it's fine on the road, which is what it was designed for) - adding an additional Velcro strap that cinches around the stem & battery bag keeps everything nicely in place. The 4 AA batteries are so small and light, you don't notice them.

On the trail, the light gives off a clean uniform slightly blue white light that shows trail details very well. The clear gasket around the front optic allows some light to escape laterally for commuting purposes, but it does not glare or affect forward vision. In technical single track, the beam feels just like my more powerful 12W systems. Visibility is good. Even with a 15W halogen glaring behind you, the DiNotte fills in the details. But you don't get something for nothing, the lack of a narrow hot spot means the light only projects so far down the trail. On fireroads and straighter double track, there is still enough light to motor alone at a fast pace. The medium beam will provide enough light to pick your way through a trail, or ride comfortably within a group. This is a good trail light. Supplemented with a spot beam helmet mount, it would make a decent race light.

The 4 AA batteries gives a decent run time, with judicious use of the medium beam, I could get through our usual 2~3hour ride. (Longer runtimes are available with the optional C cell battery pack). The up-side of standard AA batteries is that you can get replacements and/or spares for ~$15 and a local store, and you can change the batteries mid-ride (although its a pain, especially in sub zero temps). The unit has a low battery warning, but it does not shut down the light. This is a good thing, since NiMH AA batteries cannot supply enough current at sub zero temperatures to drive 5W without depressing the voltage enough to trigger the low battery warning. The Green LED turns red, and the light flickers momentarily to warn you that the battery pack is below ~4.3V. At -10C, this happens around 15 min into the ride - but this does not mean the battery is low, the unit will happily draw 5W from the battery pack and continue driving the LED at full brightness for the next 1.5 hours. If you warm up the battery pack, the low battery warning will go off. This is just characteristic behavior of drawing this much current from a small battery - at full power, the DiNotte draws ~1100mA from the batteries (~600mA at medium). Since the low battery warning will not shut down the light, the DiNotte will try to draw every last bit of energy out of the battery if you leave it on - which is a good way of killing the battery. However, I prefer not to be left in the dark because some circuit thinks a battery is depleted when it's just cold and/or old ( - something that has happened to us alot), especially since the AA cells are cheap and easy to replace. Although it has held up fine, the battery connector (standard clip found on 9V batteries) appears to be a weak spot.

Conclusion:
    This is an excellent light with a good attachment system (bar & helmet) and a great beam pattern. It uses it's modest 5W output with great efficiency, providing an excellent light for serious trail riding and commuting.

Pros:
    Cheap replacement/spare batteries. Excellent beam pattern. Small & light. Good helmet mount.

Cons:
    Beam does not project as much distance. Battery connector.

http://www.dinottelighting.com

Light & Motion Vega:

Specs:
    It is listed as a 4W unit, but it uses a Luxeon-III, which consumes about 3.4W from 4 built in NiMH cells. It is a one piece unit that fits onto a standard L&M handle bar mount, comes with a plug and forget charger. Four light levels are full (2hrs), medium (4hrs), low (8hrs), flashing. The complete unit as mounted is 262gm. Suggested price is ~$180.

All in one units are nice for commuting, the light snaps on and off the bars in seconds. As long as you don't mind leaving the mounting hardware on the bar, it makes for a very quick convenient setup. The beam is clean and white (slight bluish tinge) and very narrow. On fire roads and bike paths, it projects nice and far ahead and lets you motor at a good pace. On singletrack, the beam does not light up the first 3m very well so trail obstacles are hard to anticipate. This can be improved by point the beam down, at the cost of distance. You get a strobe effect (PWM circuit) as you ride by objects, not bad, but interesting.

The medium and low beams are useful for conserving power when there is enough ambient light, but are not very useful on dark trails. At low temperatures (0C ~ -10C) the low battery warning kicks in after a little over and hour, and reduces the light output to medium, but you can still re-set the beam to high until the battery is empty. You cannot carry spare batteries, but then the unit is about the size of a battery back, so why not carry a spare light? Actually, this unit would be ideal as a spare backup trail light.

Conclusion:
    Excellent commuting light, great for roads, bike paths, and OK for well known trails. A great backup light for those already using L&M bar lights.

Pros:
    Single self contained unit without being too large. Simple charger. Good light for road and bike path commuting.

Cons:
    Narrow beam angle not good for singletrack. Battery replacement requires factory service. No spare batteries.

http://www.bikelights.com/

Comparisons:

Trail shots for comparison. For reference, I have included the beam patterns from my DIY triple Luxeon-III unit using a NightLighting housing, and Fraen optics (2x 10 deg + 30 deg) - this has been my standard light for the last 2 years. I have also added the beam of a 13.2V 12W NiteRider halogen system for reference (which is very similar to a Niterider 6V 10W beam). As always, photos don't show the subtleties of these lights.

The DiNotte (left) provides ample foreground light for tight singletrack, while projecting far enough down the trail so you can lead a group at a moderate pace. The Vega (right) has a much narrower beam which projects farther down the trail, but you cannot see nearby trail object. The beam can be pointed downwards to illuminate the near field at a cost, but still does not provide as much illumination as the DiNotte.

For comparison, here is the trail shot for my triple Luxeon-III unit (left) and a NiteRider 12W Halogen (left). As expected, more wattage give you superior distance coverage and decent foreground lighting.

Here is an animated version of all the trail shots - it makes it easier to see the differences in how each beam lights up the foreground and distance (down the center of the bridge).

Here are beam patterns measured using a Sekonic L-328 incident light meter, showing incident light at 4.25m measured in Exposure Value (EV) at 1000 ISO. EV is an logarithmic absolute scale so it "should" be repeatable, and mirrors how our eyes interpret light. The area under the curve can be used to calculate lumens. Most eyes can see reasonably down to 0EV, but trail details are comfortable visible at 2~3 EV. Eyes have a dynamic range of 8~10 EVs, meaning if you stare at a hot spot at 10EV, you may not be able to see detail at 2EV any more.

Just for reference, I have plotted the beam profiles for my triple Luxeon-III light, and a NiteRider Classic at 12W and 32W.

Beam shots to scale for the mentioned lights.

Not responsable for grammatical errors and typos - I'm just to damn lazy!
    Last edited by itsdoable; 11-29-2005 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Trying to fix pictures

mtbr member
    nice review. i've been researching LED and HID lights as i'd like to get something in the near future. right now i've had a NR trail rat for short night rides, about 1-2hr rides. its enough, but i definately can't go as fast. as i'll be working full-time soon i'll be doing more night rides in the future. i've been planning on buying an HID unit either a NR or L&M. But i've been reading over in the endurance forum about the new Cat Eye Triple Shot. i understand the the HID will be brighter but the initial cost of a unit and the cost of replacement lamps seem like it would add up. i understand LEDs will outlast an HID lamp by a huge margin.

have you had a chance to test out the triple shot. i've seen it as low as $240. would it be a better trail light than the DiNotte?

i'm thinking of the triple shot for the bars and possibly the double shot for the helmet. seems like i would be able to get both for the price of one HID unit.

thanks

ps may only be me but i can't see any of the photos

mtbr member

Thanks

for a most informative review. These all look like pretty good lights.

It's interesting to see the difference the optics make. My Cygo Night Rover (2x 6W) is just a bit too low powered to get a useful amount of light out of the flood, but I can tell from your outdoor beam shots that a spot light alone is not going to work well for a trail light. I'm thinking pretty hard about making my own 2 x 5 W LED light. Your 3 x 3 W unit is impressive. However, the 5 W Luxeons have improved to the point where they have a light intensity advantage, at least on paper.

My guess is that LEDs are going to take the low end of the trail light market soon. It's surprising how much better the LED light looks than the halogen, even at similar intensity.

Walt

banned

Thanks for the research and pictures

This was a timely review. Only an couple hours ago I received an order from Performance that included the DiNotte 5W. I had been struggling over what combo of lights to use as my current lights are almost ten years old and will be used as loaners. I can't tell from your picture just how the O-ring attaches to the handlebar when using the DiNotte.

I had read a thread that suggested buying a 14.8V 4000mAh Li-Ion Battery + Smart Charger from batteryspace for $69 and then contacting trailtech to buy their Single Helmet Mounted HID light Kit for $135 that puts out 38 watts of halogen equivalent light while only drawing 13 watts. The burn time should be around 4 hours. The problem I had was after buying and receiving the Li-Ion battery I contacted trailtech to place my light order and found they were no longer offering the light. They were kind enough to tell me they had some design flaws and were redesigning the switch/voltage regulator, I believe. Should be available in February. Perhaps it would have been better to simply spend $400-$500 on a proven HID light.

I'm looking forward to testing the new DiNotte 5W.

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1287

http://www.trailtech.net/helmet_moun...ght_kits_1.htm

just along for the ride
    Much cheaper LED solutions out there, that then can be adapted to variety of powersources, seems light technology is going to be the next HUGE sale item:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...ai_tm301x5.htm

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the detailed review Tom, great stuff. You've put in a lot of work there!!

DiNotte - I'm really liking the look of the DiNotte. Great looks, nice looking beam, and respectable light output in a small and light package.

It's a shame about the battery connector. I guess it would be an easy fix, but at $250 it's not really the kind of thing you'd want to do a DIY job on!! Hopefully future revisions might address this issue.

Although more hassle, I really like having the battery pack external to the light. Makes swapping / recharging a lot, lot easier.

This is the first serious review I’ve seen for this light. Good job!!

Vega - I was a little disappointed with the Vega. I was expecting a little more light output. I would rather a duller, wider beam then a marginally brighter narrow beam too. Especially for commuting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    You get a strobe effect (PWM circuit) as you ride by objects, not bad, but interesting

Yuk!! Was this the case all the time, or just when in lower power settings??

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Dizzy
    My guess is that LEDs are going to take the low end of the trail light market soon. It's surprising how much better the LED light looks than the halogen, even at similar intensity.

To be honest I think you’ll see more and more LED based lights hitting the mid to high range markets very soon.

There are already LED lights out there that give 10-20 watt halogen lights a good run for their money, and offer some serious runtimes and boast very light product weights.

Cheers, Dave.
    Last edited by Low_Rider; 11-30-2005 at 05:55 AM.

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004

Triple/Double Shot

I got in my first night ride using the Cateye bar-maounted Triple Shot and the helmet mounted Doulbe Shot. After using a 10W and 15 W halogen combonation (Vista Light), I can tell you the difference is night and day (in an almost litteral sense). I like the Triple Shots focused center beam that still has enough "flood" in it to help out with periphial (sp?) vision. The helmet mounted Double Shot topped things off perfectly. It has enough sack to throw a beam ahead of the Triple Shot so you can get a feel for what's coming up far ahead, and also for looking down directly in front of you for chopping through the rock gardens and technical areas.

The engineering of these light sets is impressive. The battery packs for both are identicle. The bar mounts included (2 sizes) are pretty slick, they tighten with a skewer type tensioning mechanism.

I don't have a whole lot of night riding under my belt or experience with other types/mfg's of lights, but I feel confident saying that these lights are the cat's a$$. Paid $230 for the Triple Shot and $200 for the Double; together coming in @ about the same price of a single high end HID.
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    have you had a chance to test out the triple shot. i've seen it as low as $240. would it be a better trail light than the DiNotte?
    I have not seen a Cateye up here yet (or the BLT that was out in the summer). But I would gather that the Cateye would be somewhat similar to my DIY 3x Luxeon-III unit, same LEDs (mine are from a 2 year old batch though) different optics.

There is no replacement for pure wattage, nothing is free. I considered the Vega & DiNotte for commuting, but a single DiNotte is trail worthy IMHO. A dual DiNotte setup would probably be comparible to the Triple Shot, and you can still put one on your helmet, one on the bars.

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    I got in my first night ride using the Cateye bar-maounted Triple Shot and the helmet mounted Doulbe Shot........I don't have a whole lot of night riding under my belt or experience with other types/mfg's of lights, but I feel confident saying that these lights are the cat's a$$. Paid $230 for the Triple Shot and $200 for the Double; together coming in @ about the same price of a single high end HID.
    Prices I quoted are ~list, you can often get these things for less. The DiNotte is available (or soon to be) with a lithium battery, although the light units will not be interchangable with the NiMH versions. I like using the cheap easily replacable NiMH cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Go King
    I can't tell from your picture just how the O-ring attaches to the handlebar when using the DiNotte.

Also check thier web site.

I had read a thread that suggested buying a 14.8V 4000mAh Li-Ion Battery + Smart Charger from batteryspace for $69 and then contacting trailtech to buy their Single Helmet Mounted HID light Kit for $135 that puts out 38 watts of halogen equivalent light while only drawing 13 watts. The burn time should be around 4 hours. The problem I had was after buying and receiving the Li-Ion battery I contacted trailtech to place my light order and found they were no longer offering the light. They were kind enough to tell me they had some design flaws and were redesigning the switch/voltage regulator, I believe. Should be available in February. Perhaps it would have been better to simply spend $400-$500 on a proven HID light.
    One of our ride buddies (fast guy) bought a TrailTech setup recently, it's a very nice light. But he won't let me make any measurement on it yet... it's still too new.

I am not an HID fan, you cannot easily dim them, turn them off and on, and they over power your night vision so you can't fully enjoy the moon-lit night... (besides my DIY 12W luxeon does all that already). But if you are a serious compedative 24hr racer, there's no such thing as "too much light" (it's so easy to out-run your lights), and if you have poor night vision, or are not comfortable out at night, then more light is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Much cheaper LED solutions out there, that then can be adapted to variety of powersources...
    DIY modified flashlights are also a good way to go, but by the time you have jury rigged a mount, drilled and wired in a battery, purchased a charger, your out of pocket cost + time gets up there. But, if you like to do those things (like I do), then that's a very good route to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    It's a shame about the battery connector. I guess it would be an easy fix, but at $250 it's not really the kind of thing you'd want to do a DIY job on!! Hopefully future revisions might address this issue.
    Although the connector looks fragile/out of place, it seems to work fine, and Rob @ DiNotte agreed it looked poor, but said it's been reliable. Although the mounting hardware is unlikely to break, even if you manage to knock the light off the bike, the connector is the likely weak spot - which is a good thing since it's the easiest part to fix/replace.

FIY DiNotte is planning to upgrade the connector.

I was a little disappointed with the Vega. I was expecting a little more light output. I would rather a duller, wider beam then a marginally brighter narrow beam too. Especially for commuting
    The Vega is actually pretty good - keep in mind they were one of the first ones out. But I also prefer a wider beam - road commuters would probably find it fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    (Vega) You get a strobe effect (PWM circuit) as you ride by objects, not bad, but interesting
    Yuk!! Was this the case all the time, or just when in lower power settings??
    In all settings, but it's not bad - the PWM is very high frequency, so you only see it when something is moving very fast (like the branches whipping by you), and you can just make out the strobe. At speed, rain looks like fine dotted lines in the beam.
    Last edited by itsdoable; 11-30-2005 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Rooster where'd you find them at that price?

thanks
    sorry for stealing the thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    I got in my first night ride using the Cateye bar-maounted Triple Shot and the helmet mounted Doulbe Shot. After using a 10W and 15 W halogen combonation (Vista Light), I can tell you the difference is night and day (in an almost litteral sense). I like the Triple Shots focused center beam that still has enough "flood" in it to help out with periphial (sp?) vision. The helmet mounted Double Shot topped things off perfectly. It has enough sack to throw a beam ahead of the Triple Shot so you can get a feel for what's coming up far ahead, and also for looking down directly in front of you for chopping through the rock gardens and technical areas.

The engineering of these light sets is impressive. The battery packs for both are identicle. The bar mounts included (2 sizes) are pretty slick, they tighten with a skewer type tensioning mechanism.

I don't have a whole lot of night riding under my belt or experience with other types/mfg's of lights, but I feel confident saying that these lights are the cat's a$$. Paid $230 for the Triple Shot and $200 for the Double; together coming in @ about the same price of a single high end HID.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Nice review! Great shots comparing the four different lights.

banned

upgraded batteries for DiNotte light

I charged the 2300 mAh batteries that came with my new DiNotte and it ran on high for over two hours. At least I think it was on high. Hard to tell. This afternoon I ran over to a battery store in town and bought a set of 2500 mAh Ni-MH batteries to extend the run time. They mentioned that someone was making a 2700 mAh AA battery. All they had at Radio Shack was 2000 mAh AA's. I like the light but was not happy with how the on/off button worked. It took several tries to get it to come on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

on / off button

The on/off button was designed to avoid accidentally turning it on while sitting inside a backpack. This was accomplished by requiring a double click to turn the light on, and a Press and hold for three seconds to turn the light off.

Just a hint when purchasing new batteries OR using our batteries for the first time. Assume the batteries are completely dead - charge the batteries in the smart charger overnight, use your light for 30 minutes or so, then charge the batteries again. It might take 2-3 charges before reaching maximum capacity.

Dr Li suggests this will wake up the chemistry by exercising the cells in both directions. He also cautions us against draining new batteries the first time out as it can create long term capacity issues.

If you are looking for a higher capacity battery I have found the Annsman 2600 batteries to work quite well - The 2500 mAh Energizers also perform well and are available everywhere.

Within the next week, we're going to have a battery tips sheet that can be downloaded from our website - Dr Jason Li has taken the time to help us provide NiMH AA battery users with some guidelines we believe will be useful.

In the next couple of days we'll post a picture of the new 9V battery snap that is much more cosmetically appealing. I think you will like what you see!

Rob

mtbr member

Some Corrections

I've been looking at the colour of the photos that I posted, and I don't think I've given the Halogen pics a fair shake. All the photos were taken with the colour balance set to daylight (5500K). The Halogen pictures look very neutral white when you set the camera to Incandessant colour balance (3800K~4200k). The reality is that there is a big difference in the colour of the pictures, but your eyes compensate for this (we have a built in organic white balance) such that halogen lighting look very white (not yellow as posted above).

To the eye, this is what the beam spot colour should look like (in the absence of other lights)

The trail shots look more like this when you are there. (LED left, Halogen right)

Keep in mind that the CCD in the camera will accentuate the red channel with the halogen (due to IR light) which makes it look warmer in the picture than in person. But there is a big difference in colour - the LED is very close to the colour of white on a cloudy day, while the halogens are much warmer in colour.
    Last edited by itsdoable; 11-30-2005 at 08:17 PM.

mtbr member
    I like the light but was not happy with how the on/off button worked. It took several tries to get it to come on.
    Without gloves, my switch was fine, a little stiff and spongy, but with a definite click. Remember you have to push it twice to turn on. With winter gloves, the switch was a bit tricky, but that's true with almost every water proof push button switch I've ever used (Vega, Vistalites, BLT's, Niteriders, Marwii, etc...) But once you figure out the "touch", you can usually get it without accidentally re-directing the light... (I put 2 finger over the front of the light and the thumb on the switch).

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    Without gloves, my switch was fine, a little stiff and spongy, but with a definite click. Remember you have to push it twice to turn on. With winter gloves, the switch was a bit tricky, but that's true with almost every water proof push button switch I've ever used (Vega, Vistalites, BLT's, Niteriders, Marwii, etc...) But once you figure out the "touch", you can usually get it without accidentally re-directing the light... (I put 2 finger over the front of the light and the thumb on the switch).
    I think I've got the hang of it now.

I'd like to hear more about your friends batteryspace / trailtech HID system when he lets you look at it. I'm going to have to wait a while before trailtech offers the headlamp again but I was planning on getting a single beam to pair up with the Li-Ion 14.8V 4000mAh battery pack I already have.

The endless excuses guy
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    Rooster where'd you find them at that price?

thanks
    sorry for stealing the thread
    I got the Triple Shot mailed order from Alfred E. Bikes http://aebike.com/site/intro.cfm A Google search showed several sources that come in around that price.

The Double Shot was a different story. Cateye told me they were not going to be available here in the States until December or early January (they have been available in the UK for some time). I really wanted one, so I kept on Googling and E-Baying until I found a seller on E-Bay that had one (they literally had ONE), but said they were going to get more shortly. The name of the E-bay store is "Ultimate Sports and Nutrition". They were very easy to deal with and fast shippers. Here's their E-Bay link http://stores.ebay.com/Ultimate-Sports-and-Nutrition If you're interested,give them a call.
    Press "1" for English. Press "2" to be deported

Powered by ice cream.
    Wow! Awesome detailed review. You should give courses on how to do this.

Makes me feel good about my Dinotte purchase. My only concern with the Dinotte is the water sealing of the battery pack and the 9 V connector.

Thanks also for explaining why the thing tells me it's going into low battery mode in the cold weather after only a few minutes.

Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

Candlestick Maker
    I think I've got the hang of it now.

I'd like to hear more about your friends batteryspace / trailtech HID system when he lets you look at it. I'm going to have to wait a while before trailtech offers the headlamp again but I was planning on getting a single beam to pair up with the Li-Ion 14.8V 4000mAh battery pack I already have.
    I run the trailtech / batteryspace Li Ion 4Ah combo. Has worked great for me. No probs during regular night riding or 24 hour races. The cabling is too long as delivered, but not so bad that I've bothered to shorten it (yet).

Great review, itsdoable! I have diy LuxIII light that will be a Tri-LuxIII by the end of the week. Good to see those beamshots. The Tri-LuxIII looks great. I thought about going w/ just a single LuxV, but your beamshots make me happy to have chosen 3 3 watters...

baker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baker
    Great review, itsdoable! I have diy LuxIII light that will be a Tri-LuxIII by the end of the week. Good to see those beamshots. The Tri-LuxIII looks great. I thought about going w/ just a single LuxV, but your beamshots make me happy to have chosen 3 3 watters...
    Keep in mind that optics are critically important for creating a good beam - The 3x luxeon-III shots above use 2x 10deg and one 30deg optic from Fraen (thier tri-optic system). I have another using a 10, 30, & 50deg optics from Carclo - which I think is better for singletrack, but I used the Fraen version to compare because the beam more closely matches the Niterider halogen bulbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

great thread

Itsdoable,

I have an Exposure Race (2x5 watt luxeon) I would like to add some beam shots of it and post to this thread. I'm out in California so I wouldn't have any snow to use as a backdrop but I could take some shots of a decent trail.

What were your camera settings for the shots?
    ISO
    shutter speed
    white balance
    aperature

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by il2mb
    I have an Exposure Race (2x5 watt luxeon) I would like to add some beam shots of it and post to this thread. I'm out in California so I wouldn't have any snow to use as a backdrop but I could take some shots of a decent trail.

What were your camera settings for the shots?
    ISO
    shutter speed
    white balance
    aperature
    il2mb, here are some parameters from the EXIF info on the pictures used for the trail shots with the LED light.

ExposureTime - 10/10 seconds
    FNumber - 2.80
    ExposureProgram - Manual control
    ISOSpeedRatings - 100
    LightSource - Daylight
    FocalLength - 7.90 mm (38mm equivalent to 35mm)
    CustomRendered - Normal process
    ExposureMode - Manual
    WhiteBalance - Manual
    Contrast - Normal
    Saturation - Normal
    Sharpness - Normal

Unfortunately they will probably not reproduce quite the same if you use a different camera, even when you use manual mode, the image processing will: window, level and normalize accross the field depending on it's own internal program (I didn't have a RAW mode). However, if you can measure the profile with an incident light meter (the type used for photographic purposes) that would be a better method.

I'd really like to see a USE Exposure light in person, especially on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

USE exposure Race

Itsdoable,

If you want to see a beam shot look in the MTBR classifieds. I'm selling two Races. I included a photo of a beam shot I took in my backyard. I used 2 seconds shutter speed instead of the 10 you employed. Had I done so the brightness would be much higher. Also the lack of snow in my picture doesn't add a reflective enhancement to the beam as it does in yours. The camera settings I chose were based on those MTBR used in their light test. Of course they employed a DSLR and were able to take the ISO up to 800 without noticeable noise in the picture. I raised my exposure to 2 seconds rather than the 1.6 MTBR used to compensate for a lower ISO setting. I cannot achieve the 800 ISO settings. My FZ5 will do 400 but the beam shot is too bright and I don't think it reflects (no pun intended) an accurate picture. Your low aperature setting would also tend to allow for a brighter image. MTBR used 5.0.

The Race as you know is a 2x5 watt Luxeon. I do like riding with them a lot. While not as bright as my Edison 5 or L&M arc (I have a lot of lights, including a few halogen) I actually prefer the Race when doing a tight and twisting singletrack. The beam pattern is literally perfect. Highly uniform, very pure white color, and with just the right amount of side spill. The only weakness is the "throw distance." They provide about 40-60 feet of down trail illumination, which is fine for most trails. My Edison throws a VERY long beam. Almost 200 feet on a fire road and lights up everything in its path. Really a remarkable light.

Thanks for posting such a great report.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Good job!

Nice review, thanks.

I am running two DiNotte lights instead of the DIY 3x3W from NightLighting (definitely sexier), the lenses are changeable so you can add a wider lens to really light up the close areas and point the other one outward with the narrow lens or just point one out and one in with the narrow lens. The big advantage with this light is the size; it just looks a lot better on the bike than those bigger lights (if you can’t ride then you gotta look good ) and can be easily switched between bikes without the hassle of getting a clamp under the brake/shifter cables (e.g. Campy) plus you can easily carried it in your jersey. The other big advantage is the generic batteries, cheap and plentiful with an option to extend you ride time buy adding parallel packs or bigger cells and because it only takes four the weight is much less than those 12V+ battery packs of the Cateye and DIY lights. Two of the lights does the trick and who knows DiNotte would be smart to offer a dual package deal for those needing more light (Rob: hint, hint ).

I also have a L&M Solo Mv, which is a great light but after two years I replaced the bulb three times ($20 + shipping each time) and the battery pack is beginning to loose some capacity so a new one is $100 or I have to hack the old one open and replace the cells. Not that I am cheap but over time (two years or more) the DiNotte will be cheaper to own. BTW you can replace the LED if ever needed (the light is easily disassembled) for about $20 + shipping (http://www.futureestore.com/estore/) but you do have to have good soldering skills or know someone who does so longevity of the light is not really an issue.

Happy with the lights so far.

mtbr member
    ...I used 2 seconds shutter speed instead of the 10 you employed. Had I done so the brightness would be much higher....
    Actually, my shutter speed was 1 sec - the EXIF file reports it as 10/10 sec, I just cut & pasted the data. The bridge in the photo started ~15ft away. It's always hard to judge these things from photos, I tried to use an exposure that generated a picture that was as close to the apparent brigtness & detail that I saw while standing there with my night adapted eyes.

...The only weakness is the "throw distance." (USE Exposure) They provide about 40-60 feet of down trail illumination, which is fine for most trails. My Edison throws a VERY long beam. Almost 200 feet on a fire road and lights up everything in its path. Really a remarkable light.
    The DiNotte similarly gives good visibility to ~50ft, minimally adequate to ~100ft. For a low wattage light to be trail worthy, you have to compromise somewhere. Nothing beats pure wattage & lumens if you want to see 200ft.

Quote Originally Posted by Road Rider
    ...Two of the lights does the trick and who knows DiNotte would be smart to offer a dual package deal for those needing more light (Rob: hint, hint ).
    ... like he shows on his web page... - I agree, a dual beam setup (dual handle bar or helmet/handle bar) would be a great package for trail riding. Thats coming from someone who's happy running just one...
    Last edited by itsdoable; 12-04-2005 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Hi all,

Some questions regarding DiNotte Ultralight:

1) In plain English: How many hours will the 5W luxeon work before burning out?
    2) How much do they charge for the large (C) battery holder/case?
    3) Is the mount really suited for MTB riding? I have troubles with my Cateye EL-400 mount, and, of course, I don't want another light which bounces after each bump. (I later fixed the Cateye by adding a rubber strap to the mount, but now it's harder to put on/remove, and I don't want to go through that again!!!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

answers in plain English

1) In plain English: How many hours will the 5W luxeon work before burning out?

I don't think you'll see a LED burn out, the question is when will it lose about 30% of its light. We have seen a light run almost constant since May and it's still going strong - Still I feel comfortable with the answer "well over 2,000 hours" - far more than halogen or HID.

2) How much do they charge for the large (C) battery holder/case? We have a buy direct special for 79.00 - I'd explore all AA options such as the Annsman 2600 batteries if you're looking to maximize time. (annsman AA get 2h 15min HIGH, 4h 30 min Low) -- Then carry a 2nd set -- also keep Lithium AA batteries in your saddle bag (2 hours + on high and virtually infinite shelf life) -- overall it's the hot setup using AA. Unless you need 4 hours on HIGH day after day and don't want to stop to change batteries the AA solution should work. We'd be happy to sell you a C Cell pack, but don't want you to own stuff you won't use. (though our C Cells are extreme so you could make use of them in flashlights, etc.)

3) Is the mount really suited for MTB riding? THE LIGHT IS NOT COMING OFF! Because it only weighs about 60 grams and it's mounted in the center, it just doesn't take much force to hold it on - It's the question everyone asks BEFORE they buy, but is never a problem after they have used it.

Hope this helps - This is not a solicitation, just trying to answer your questions. If you have any other questions, email me directly at sales @ Dinottelighting.com