mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Zoch AM1: If it aint broke dont fix it?

I have an 06 Marzocchi AM1. It has about 3 good riding seasons on it. I am not loosing any oil. The only loss in performance I have noticed it is no longer locks out 100%. In the lockout mode I can still depress the shock about 10%. I never fully lock it out anyway. I have been planning on sending it to a LBS for a rebuild and new oil. My concern is I have read a lot of stories about problems with the TST bladder when the forks are torn down. Often requiring the fork to be sent back to Marzochi for a few weeks and $200 fix. That very thing happend to my brother with his AM1.

Anyone been sucessful in rebuilding this fork? And when would be signs that i need to other than just its been a few years now that I have been riding on it.

staike
    The fork isn't supposed to be fully locked out, 10% is very normal. After three years the oil will be full of small pieces of dirt, rocks, metal etc who will eventually destroy the fork from the inside. You definitely want to get some fresh oil in there.

"El Whatever"
    Theoretically, the lock out should allow like 10mm of travel only (3/8"). But yeah, sounds like service to the damper is not needed, but three years is a long stretch without service for the lowers. Particularly the ETA side (if any) should be pretty dirty.

Follow the link in my signature for rebuild instructions on AM1 forks.

I can't stress enough how frequent oil changes are cheap insurance against bushing/stanchion wear. Even cheap oil with regular oil changes will do better than the best oil with longer than normal service intervals.

Good luck.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by fiveo View Post
    .... Often requiring the fork to be sent back to Marzochi for a few weeks and $200 fix. That very thing happend to my brother with his AM1.....
    Fix or upgrade to a RC2 cartridge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    ....three years is a long stretch without service for the lowers. Particularly the ETA side (if any) should be pretty dirty.....
    You'd think because of the volume of oil in the open bath sides (eta and rc2 or 3) they would be cleaner but I find the TST side semi bath side to be much cleaner and the open bath sides to be filthy.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    You can find a Service Manual for your fork on the following link:

http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/index-16.htm

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    You'd think because of the volume of oil in the open bath sides (eta and rc2 or 3) they would be cleaner but I find the TST side semi bath side to be much cleaner and the open bath sides to be filthy.
    All the older (HSCV, ETA, ECC, etc.) open bath cartridges from Zoke do the same. I don't really know why.
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    You can find a Service Manual for your fork on the following link:

http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/index-16.htm
    Only thing left out of the Service Manual is the service for the TST Cartridge.

In my signature there's a little video where a Zoke technician explains how to do it. It's for a marathon fork, but it works just the same for an AM1.
    Check my Site