mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Yo Warp, your ultimate 5" fork might have arrived

I was messing around on the avalanche site today, and they dropped a custom avalanche kit for the Marz 44 Rc3 Ti......If my rear shocks are any indication, it sounds like a kick ass option for a quality travel 5" fork.

Now, someone get one and report back!

"El Whatever"
    Awesome!! What a better time than when I'm like 12,000 miles away!! LOL!!

Seriously, that's great news. My only gripe with that one is that it's a little on the short side (520mm A2C?) and the 15mm axle. But I think I could live with it.

Is that fork still in Zoke line up for 2013?
    Check my Site

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    Awesome!! What a better time than when I'm like 12,000 miles away!! LOL!!

Seriously, that's great news. My only gripe with that one is that it's a little on the short side (520mm A2C?) and the 15mm axle. But I think I could live with it.

Is that fork still in Zoke line up for 2013?
    Sadly, no. One of the highest rated forks of 2012 and it's gone this year. Only a 55 version of it. I love mine but agree 20mm front would be better. Of course I always though the 15mm thru axle was a step backwards (smaller and heavier?) but I ended up with one because I liked everything else about the fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    yeah, that's the reason I didn't pick one up (15mm). The wheels on my bikes are 20mm., and I really like that they are all cross-compatible if I need a spare, travel to a race, or something like that.

That being said, I'm running an avalanche'd manitou (AVIPOO hahaha) on my Nickel right now, and its just sick. I'm a nerd about suspension, and I totally forget about my bike when I'm riding this shock.

I have a lowered van 36 right now, but a done-up 44rc3 would really really make me consider switching.

And, while its gone this year, I suspect it's because of the production capacity they had because of switching assembly facilities. I strongly suspect it'll be back.

Also, early reports on the 2013 stuff are really good. It sounds like marz might have figured out a simple, non travel adjustable air spring with a spring negative spring. Sounds like it could be awesome if it came out in the 44 package. And I don't see why it wouldn't, since many of their forks are based on that chassis.

mtbr member
    Wait marz ditched both the 44 and the 66 for 2013? Wow, they really did. Any idea what the story is here?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Wait marz ditched both the 44 and the 66 for 2013? Wow, they really did. Any idea what the story is here?
    Basically, in a nutshell (it's more complex than that), Suntour ditched them and they have to get their forks done somewhere else.

I can't remember if Suntour would do a few models for 2013 for them or ditched them completely or what. Thing is, they didn't get to an agreement with their main manufacturer and Teneco had to look somewhere else. Of course, they will not switch all the production in a single year.

All in all, if you can get a 44Ti for cheap, Avy can improve it by the mile. Awesome option.
    Check my Site

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post

All in all, if you can get a 44Ti for cheap, Avy can improve it by the mile. Awesome option.
    I don't doubt it could be improved. Not sure it needs improvement "by the mile." It's a pretty nice fork without mods. Very happy with mine. Not alone in that opinion, either:

Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti Suspension Fork Review - BikeRadar

Best Suspension Forks For Trail And All-mountain Riding - BikeRadar

Since I haven't tested it with the Avy cartridge, can't say how much better it could get. At $400.00 plus for the upgrade, would have to be pretty amazing. Mine already feels pretty dialed for my type of riding (then again I'm a pretty average rider).

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris2fur View Post
    I don't doubt it could be improved. Not sure it needs improvement "by the mile." It's a pretty nice fork without mods. Very happy with mine. Not alone in that opinion, either:

Marzocchi 44 RC3 Ti Suspension Fork Review - BikeRadar

Best Suspension Forks For Trail And All-mountain Riding - BikeRadar

Since I haven't tested it with the Avy cartridge, can't say how much better it could get. At $400.00 plus for the upgrade, would have to be pretty amazing. Mine already feels pretty dialed for my type of riding (then again I'm a pretty average rider).

A properly set up shimmed rebound damper would be a huge improvement over the port orifice rebound damper used by Marzocchi. Its insane that Marzocchi has yet to use one in any of there forks when every other major manufacture uses it in at least there high end products. For that reason alone the Avy cart would improve the feel by a mile.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Re the suntour thing: I suspect part of it might be suntour's push to make their own (apparently very nice) forks, as well as producing forks and shocks for DVO. As I understand, suntour is still making the parts for marzocchi, and the company that assembles their shocks is assembling the forks for a couple years until they get a new, fully independent factory built to produce marzocchi.

Again, the above is just a combination of internet hearsay.

Now, Given what I've heard about the new marzocchi air springs in the 55 (that it actually works) and what I've seen from the suntour durolux air springs, I bet they're damn near, if not the same thing.

Re: the death of the 66, I'm not really missing that one. Now that the 55 rc3 ti comes in 170mm (and has almost the same a2c as the 66) it's kind of redundant in the lineup. If you need that north shore or bike park fork, the Totem is pretty hard to beat.

Just had another ride on my avy'ed manitou, comparing it to my van RC....seems like the biggest difference is how well the avy "blows off" hitting sharp edges going fast. While the van kinda bucks you a bit, the avy blows off and sucks up the obstacle. I assume this is part of the difference between a port and a shim damper. If the fork damper from avy is at all like that, it'll be a ripper for sure. Also note that on all the avy stuff I've had, I can usually get away with running 50lb lighter on the spring, so this could make the 44 Ti more viable for a wider range of riders without adding air preload.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Can anybody shortly explain what this Avalanche Cartridge does better compared to the stock RC3 damper? I am really a noob if it comes to midvalves etc.

I own a 2010 44 RC3 and as a light rider (about 143 lbs with gear) the fork is way to progressive for me, so I am never able to get full travel. So I am considering this Avalanche damper as a future upgrade.

BTW: Here is some information/review about the Avalanche Cartridge for a Marzocchi 55 RC3

@ 300hp: slightly offtopic but how did you lower your Van 36? Thank you.

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by randan View Post
    I own a 2010 44 RC3 and as a light rider (about 143 lbs with gear) the fork is way to progressive for me, so I am never able to get full travel. So I am considering this Avalanche damper as a future upgrade.
    Are you running the stock spring? I think they make a different spring for lighter riders.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, it's the stock spring. I was told by the distributors of Marzocchi Switzerland and Germany, that there was no softer spring for the 44 RC 2010 (might be different in the US of A).
    I was thinking about the Avalanche cartridge because in the thread I've linked earlier it was mentionned that with this cartridge one could use full travel. Apart from that I would like to know what else the benefits of this cartridge are compard to the stock RC3 cartridge.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Yo Warp, your ultimate 5" fork might have arrived

Are your oil levels correct?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes they are. I might reduce them on the damper side, though. Anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread with my Marzocchi issue, let's discuss the Avalanche Cartridge instead.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    A properly set up shimmed rebound damper would be a huge improvement over the port orifice rebound damper used by Marzocchi. Its insane that Marzocchi has yet to use one in any of there forks when every other major manufacture uses it in at least there high end products. For that reason alone the Avy cart would improve the feel by a mile.
    Stock rebound is fine. Valving for the obese is what Avy brings to the table and, frankly, most people running their cartridges cannot come close to over-riding the stock fork at all.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Stock rebound is fine. Valving for the obese is what Avy brings to the table and, frankly, most people running their cartridges cannot come close to over-riding the stock fork at all.
    I completely disagree. Having a high speed rebound circuit is a big deal. When you dont have one, you have to compromise you rebound setting to feel good on big hits or to not pack up on repeat hits. A good shimmed rebound damper is gives you the ability to have a setting that works well in either situation. Riders of all abilities can appreciate that. Same goes for compression dampers. Nothing works as well as a shimmed high speed circuit.(which is why all high end suspension uses it.)

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr View Post
    Not only for the obese... also for undernourished riders like me. In most forks, at my 64kg, most dampers are too firm or leave no room for adjustments. No, oil levels and oil weight are not a real fix. Different valving is. You don't really need to "over ride" the fork to fully appreciate the potential of a shimmed damper.

If it's worthy to you or not to spend 400 on a replacement cartridge, that's another story. Everybody spend their pennies where they think it's proper.

I'd like to do it in a properly damped fork.
    Check my Site

otb club member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    I completely disagree. Having a high speed rebound circuit is a big deal. When you dont have one, you have to compromise you rebound setting to feel good on big hits or to not pack up on repeat hits. A good shimmed rebound damper is gives you the ability to have a setting that works well in either situation. Riders of all abilities can appreciate that. Same goes for compression dampers. Nothing works as well as a shimmed high speed circuit.(which is why all high end suspension uses it.)
    The above is impossible to argue with in general terms. However, I seemed to have really lucked out with the 44 RC3 Ti. With the standard ti coil spring and 0 psi in air assist, I've been able to set the rebound and compression to where I really don't find any deficiencies. The 0 psi setting allows just a slight ramp up near the end of the stroke and I don't find it wallowing in mid-stroke. The fork has no detectible initial breakaway resistance. I somehow get smooth rebound on big hits without packing up in repeated choppy stuff. Again, I think I got lucky, because if I was not in the perfect riding weight range and had to boost the air assist, it would probably completely kill the ride quality of the coil. For what it's worth, I'm in the 160 pound range without gear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Chris is in the magic weight range. With my 55, when you had to start adding air preload, it started to ride notably worse.

The biggest difference I've noticed with my avy stuff is that set up with the proper sag, I use all the travel when I'm supposed to.

With all my other rear shocks, particularly fox stuff, it seemed like I was always picking a compromise between firm and not bottoming out, or nice and plush, but wallow-y. I run 25% sag on my avipoo, and it'll blow off and use full travel on a fast square edged hit, yet the bike stays nice and high in the travel under power.