mtbr member
    Feb 2008

X Fusion Vengeance knocking/clicking?

My 2012 ven hlr air has recently started knocking/clicking on compression in the first 20-25% of the stroke. It doesn't knock or click when I cycle the suspension slowly, but quick hits is where it makes the sound. It's definitely coming from the air spring side and it kind of sounds like coil bind. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they were able to locate the problem and fix it. I had the air spring apart last night and I couldn't find anything wrong other than the rubber bumper at the bottom of the negative spring was not quite seated in the billet end cap and the heat shrink at the top of the negative coil is a little loose. The bushings feel tight and upon inspection showed no signs of wear. The stanchions are smooth inside and out. When I reassembled the air spring I covered the assembly in Slick Honey and the sound was gone for a few minutes of cycling the fork and then came back. I am really at a loss and I would much rather fix it myself than send it out. If this is something that is inherent in the fork's design then I can deal with it, but it just doesn't seem right. Thanks!

moaaar shimz
    The ITA spring can sometimes click (as well as Fox Float springs) because the negative spring rubs the top out spring during initial compression. Greasing this area helps (and it is a step in X-Fusion service guides).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    so pack grease in between the 2 springs? like i said, i packed the whole spring assembly pretty good with slick honey and the noise went away for about 2 minutes of me cycling the suspension. after that it came right back. maybe i need to use some heavier, thicker grease?

moaaar shimz
    I wouldn't worry much about it really

mtbr member
    Would putting some shrink wrap on the spring quiet it? I don't know if that would interfere with its function though, its a small spring after all...

on my 3rd wind...
    My brand new 2012 Vengeance made same exact sound right out of the box. Sent the fork back to X-fusion twice but they weren't able to fix it. They said it is coming from negative coil spring mechanism in the fork. They tried everything but no avail...they even tried shrink wrap. Sounds drove me nutz so I never even took it out on the trail. I just returned it to shop for full refund and bought Zoke 55 RC3 Ti instead.

I have two different Fox Float forks and they dont make that same noise.
    sth

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Awesome. Good to know x fusion can't even fix their own product.

Maybe I can send it to Fox and they can fix it
    Last edited by justin83; 04-03-2013 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I had a Vengeance HLR DLA and the CSU was clicking as well. They said it was expected on long travel single crown... Since I also had lots of problem with the DLA cartridge, the fork went back and I got a refund. I bought a zoke 55 too.