mtbr member

X-Fusion Vengeance coil or air?

This will definitely be my next fork but I'm having a hard time deciding on the coil or air version. Weight is not an issue for me. It will be replacing a RS Domain coil on my GT Sanction. The domain was/is a solid fork but really heavy and not necessarily a great performing fork. Just does what it does. I will be racing a bunch of Super D and Enduros this season and want something that'll let me rip. Anyone with experience on either of these forks that can sway me one direction or the other?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm biased towards coil forks since I really lovethe feel of coil. So if you don't mind the weight go for the coil.

Although if you plan on racing the weight savings might come in handy though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    A little while back I bought an X Fusion Vengeance HLR air. I don't think that there are any drawbacks to their air forks. It is as supple as my Marzocchi was before and much lighter. Air is far more adjustable.

moaaar shimz
    How much do you weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    How much do you weight?
    200-210 depending on season and what I'm doing weight training wise. Race season I'm 200 but with gear that ups it.

mtbr member
    bump...

moaaar shimz
    Both will work well. I like the air because it is easy to tune.

mtbr member
    Thanks everybody. I think I'll shoot for the air. I think it'll be more adjustable for me. Any reason to choose the RC over the HLR or visa versa? The RC is a little less expensive.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    Thanks everybody. I think I'll shoot for the air. I think it'll be more adjustable for me. Any reason to choose the RC over the HLR or visa versa? The RC is a little less expensive.
    If you know what the external adjustments do and you like messing with them trying to find the best setting, the HLR damper will be what you want. If you dont really mess with the adjustments that often or dont care about having a HSC adjustment, the go with the RC.

IMO, its better the have the it then not have it and I would go with the HLR/

mtbr member
    May 2005
    How much do you weight?
    Tacubaya do you have any idea if the air Vengeance HLR will work well for a light person (about 143 lbs)? thank you.

@ Whip Chop: sorry for using your thread.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Whip Chop! View Post
    This will definitely be my next fork but I'm having a hard time deciding on the coil or air version. Weight is not an issue for me. It will be replacing a RS Domain coil on my GT Sanction. The domain was/is a solid fork but really heavy and not necessarily a great performing fork. Just does what it does. I will be racing a bunch of Super D and Enduros this season and want something that'll let me rip. Anyone with experience on either of these forks that can sway me one direction or the other?
    That's a big and tall fork for Super D/Enduro, I'm picturing the twisty, slimey, haulin a on a fireroad, Ashland (Oregon Series) course(s) in my head, and don't see a need for that much travel.

Or, where are you racing? I want in.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by randan View Post
    Tacubaya do you have any idea if the air Vengeance HLR will work well for a light person (about 143 lbs)? thank you.

@ Whip Chop: sorry for using your thread.
    Yes it will.

I weigh about 152 and it works like a charm.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes it will.

I weigh about 152 and it works like a charm.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    That's a big and tall fork for Super D/Enduro, I'm picturing the twisty, slimey, haulin a on a fireroad, Ashland (Oregon Series) course(s) in my head, and don't see a need for that much travel.

Or, where are you racing? I want in.
    No fire roads here. Utah. I'm running a 160mm now. I can lower the Vengeance from 170 to 160 if needed but I prefer bigger bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Just got the HLR DLA. The travel measures 180 and lowers to 150,
    I don't know if the DLA has the ladder system though.

moaaar shimz
    No, no ladder system on DLA.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Resurrecting this thread!

I've recently gone from a coil lyrik to an air float 36 and am pretty disappointed in the floats performance despite the advertised improvements for 2013; stiction is still an issue, getting sag is still an issue, and it's still rather progressive (for my liking anyways). It might just be that I'm a coil guy and should stick to coil forks but I'm curious about the "feel" of the Vengeance air (particularly if someone can make a comparison to the float) and what advantages it might have over the coil.

The advertised weights of these show the coil at only ~90 grams heavier than the air. If that is accurate you're really only gaining a little adjustability and maybe some progressiveness, no? I do like that the air can be set to 150mm as it fits the geometry desires for my 5.spot better but I could make a straight steerer coil at 160mm work. I'm a pretty big guy at 210-220 ready to ride.

Also, I've seen some buzz about back ordering? Anyone have some accurate availability beta?

moaaar shimz
    Yea, Vengeances are scarce, you'll probably have trouble finding one right now.

ITA (Air) system has benefits when compared to coil: you can setup the spring rate just perfect and adjust progressiveness with air chamber oil volume. Coil has its advantages though, better mid stroke support and a bit more suppleness.

I ran the HLR ITA last year and run the HLR Coil this year, I love em both. If you are a very aggressive rider, coil is the way to go. If not, the ITA version IMO is a winner.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I was hoping you'd weigh in, thank you.

I guess I'm hesitant to jump into another air after the fox experience, but I see rave reviews about the vengeances linear feel.

The nominal weight difference is still weird to me though, might just make coil the way to go.

Is there any estimates on when inventory might stabilize?
    Last edited by dhzion; 05-30-2013 at 08:04 PM.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by dhzion View Post
    I was hoping you'd weigh in, thank you.

I guess I'm hesitant to jump into another air after the fox experience, but I see rave reviews about the vengeances linear feel.

The nominal weight difference is still weird to me though, might just make coil the way to go.

Is there any estimates on when inventory might stabilize?
    No idea, probably in a month or 2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I stumbled upon a deal on a Vengeance HLR Air that I could not pass up. I was running a Lyrik Coil and was very happy with it. Long story short, I threw the Vengeance on about 2 months ago to drop some weight for a long ride and have not looked back. I am running it on the front of an HD set to 160mm. I had to run lower pressure than the manual recommended for my weight (200lbs) to get the sag right. I run a pretty good amount of low speed to dial out some bob and run the rebound near full fast and have nothing but good things to say about the fork. You're absolutely right, there is not much weight savings between air/coil, but I have no complaints coming from a Lyrik coil. Just my $.02. I'll be curious to get your input regardless if you choose coil vs. air. One last thing, the tune-ability (with use of high/low speed and rebound) of the HLR damper is fantastic...this has been well documented, but I thought I would reiterate it.

Quote Originally Posted by dhzion View Post
    Resurrecting this thread!

I've recently gone from a coil lyrik to an air float 36 and am pretty disappointed in the floats performance despite the advertised improvements for 2013; stiction is still an issue, getting sag is still an issue, and it's still rather progressive (for my liking anyways). It might just be that I'm a coil guy and should stick to coil forks but I'm curious about the "feel" of the Vengeance air (particularly if someone can make a comparison to the float) and what advantages it might have over the coil.

The advertised weights of these show the coil at only ~90 grams heavier than the air. If that is accurate you're really only gaining a little adjustability and maybe some progressiveness, no? I do like that the air can be set to 150mm as it fits the geometry desires for my 5.spot better but I could make a straight steerer coil at 160mm work. I'm a pretty big guy at 210-220 ready to ride.

Also, I've seen some buzz about back ordering? Anyone have some accurate availability beta?