mtbr member
    Dec 2005

X-Fusion Vector Air HLR

I quick update on the Vector air shock I am running in my trail bike.

Simply put the best shock, air or coil, out there I have tried. (NOTE: have not tried the DB Air)

I have run Manitou Swinger, Marz Air, Fox RP2, RP23, RP23 Tuned, RS Monarch Plus RC3 and finally now am running the Vector Air HLR. Wow this thing is good.

I also have one on my FR bike, but can't comment too much on it as I only have 2 or 3 rides on it (been having way too much fun on the trail bike).

I have run a number of shocks on my FR bikes as well including Romic, 5th Element, Fox Van and Van RC, DHX5 (air and coil, Manitou ISX-6 (shim stack air and coil), Marz WC Coil and TST Air, RS Vivid Air R2C.

So I think it is safe to say I have run quite a number of shocks on a number of different bikes, likely leaving a few out as well. I am a good intermediate rider who likes to try out gear and does appreciate when a bike is tuned right.

I have the Vector Air on a 6 & 6 trail bike used to ride the shore trails. I do climb a fair amount with the bike (should do more) and also like the descents as well. The biggest complement I can give to the Vector is that you totally forget about it. It just works, no harsh bottom outs, no wallowing in lack of mid-stroke, great on small bumps as well.

That is all. I do complain from time to time when things don't work as I like, so I it time to shout out to a company making some fantastic gear. Thumbs up to X-Fusion. Who knows, as much as I like my Fox fork, I am tempted to give the X-Fusion offerings a go. That, or if Manitou ever gets a nice 140 - 160 trail fork back I would give that a go as well. Definitely like the feel of the TPC+ or Intrinsic+ dampers.

For the record, I pay for all my gear and have no association with any bike company of the gear mentioned above.

Weapon of Choice
    It is a great shock and couldn't agree more. Care to share the settings you are running with it?

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Not 100% certain, but something as follows:

7.785 x 2.00 (or possibly 2.25 stroke - can't recall) on a 3:1 leverage bike (Giant Reign)
    My weight is 190lb + gear

main chamber 150 psi (almost 30% sag)
    boost chamber 200 psi
    boost chamber size - almost open, maybe 1 or 2 clicks or something like 1/2 turn.
    LSC - 3 clicks from open
    HSC - 5 to 7 clicks from open
    Rebound - never counted, just adjusted to balance front / back

Not really hitting anything major for drops 3-4 feet at most, but some decent g-outs and roots and rocks. Using most of travel but have yet to feel anything of a bottom out if the shock did bottom out.

A few weeks ago I was riding some XC biased trails, added 2-3 clicks of LSC and same for HSC totally firmed up the bike for pedaling for still allowed the shock to work as it should.