Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

X-fusion slant VS rockshox pike?????

While I know there are very few that have ridden these yet I wanted to get some e-speculation rolling on these forks. I'll be in the market for a STIFF, lightish, well damped 150mil, 26"fork and it will be either the new x-fusion slant or the new rockshox pike.

As of now on paper I'm leaning toward the slant. It's a touch lighter and has an open bath (I think?) dampening. Also it seems a lot of people really love their vengeance.

I have respect for sram (currently running the xx1 crank, & a reverb) but it seems they they're losing market share as of late. One thing I don't like about the pike is the 3 setting nonsense.

With all that said I'll go with what seems to be the best fork. Anybody else got any input on these forks?
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have just fitted a Pike on my Rip9 RDO 29er & it is a nice fork, The Maxle is a nice unit & the fork is light & seems quite stiff.

I only fitted it a couple of days ago so will add more when I have done more miles over the weekend.

One of my friends has a X Fusion on his 29er & he really likes it.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-20-2013 at 12:15 AM.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    I am looking at both as well, but leaning toward the Slant (if it ever comes out) I have had two X-Fusion Forks (Velvet & Vengeance). Both are great and at fraction of the competitions prices.

If you are leaning toward the Pike and it's price point may I suggest another 34mm stanchion fork? BOS Deville, BOS is back in the US and can be purchased through Buy BOS Mountain Bike Forks, BOS MT Shocks for sale online thru only USA/Canadian Distributor The distributor, Marc, is a cool guy and will answer all your questions. I put a Black Deville on order for sh&ts and giggles due to all the European reviews putting them head and shoulders above the FOX and RS. Will be interesting to see if its worth the hype.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    As of now on paper I'm leaning toward the slant. It's a touch lighter and has an open bath (I think?) dampening.
    Nope. RL2 is a sealed cartridge. (Which is a good thing IMHO)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    I am looking at both as well, but leaning toward the Slant (if it ever comes out) I have had two X-Fusion Forks (Velvet & Vengeance). Both are great and at fraction of the competitions prices.

If you are leaning toward the Pike and it's price point may I suggest another 34mm stanchion fork? BOS Deville, BOS is back in the US and can be purchased through Buy BOS Mountain Bike Forks, BOS MT Shocks for sale online thru only USA/Canadian Distributor The distributor, Marc, is a cool guy and will answer all your questions. I put a Black Deville on order for sh&ts and giggles due to all the European reviews putting them head and shoulders above the FOX and RS. Will be interesting to see if its worth the hype.

Cheers,
    I'd be able to get much more excited about BOS if it weren't for the pricepoint...oh my!!

mtbr member
    Yeah, completely understandable, they are $$$. Funny though, RS and FOX are inching their way up there too, so if you are considering the Pike or 34CTD then I thought BOS should be mentioned. I think thats why the Slant is so attractive, X-Fusion makes some hidden jems, outstanding performance at a low price...that is if you can find one, hopefully they will be out soon (September 2012 orignal advertised release date).

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by dhzion View Post
    I'd be able to get much more excited about BOS if it weren't for the pricepoint...oh my!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Cheers,
    The slant must be on it's way as you can find them on ebay out of Taiwan which is where I assume they are made.

X Fusion Slant RL2 26" Air Suspension Fork 160mm Travel Tapered 15mm Axle | eBay

The Boss has been on my radar for sure but would need to have access to parts like the other brands to ever consider one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have just fitted a Pike on my Rip9 RDO 29er & it is a nice fork, The Maxle is a nice unit & the fork is light & see seems quite stiff.

I only fitted it a couple of days ago so will add more when I have done more miles over the weekend.

Yes, please check back in & let us know what you think after some trail time

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    mmmm....the only really good sealed cartridge I'm a fan of is the avy cartridge for the lyric. Even my previous pushed fox's can't touch my stock marz rc3 open bath. The bladder on the pike is a poor solution imho

mtbr member
    The Boss has been on my radar for sure but would need to have access to parts like the other brands to ever consider one.
    Yeah, completely understandable. And from what I understand that is one of the issues that ended BOS's initial entry into the US market several years ago. From what Marc has told me, he has all parts needed for repairs and maintenance. But that is the rub, only he and his authorized service centers (one east coast, one west coast) can crack open that puppy if you want to keep the warranty intact. But it has an open bath and fully adjustable.
    Interesting dilemma...best to you on your search.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I am looking at both as well, but leaning toward the Slant (if it ever comes out)
    I got my Slant nearly 2 weeks ago... They are out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    mmmm....the only really good sealed cartridge I'm a fan of is the avy cartridge for the lyric. Even my previous pushed fox's can't touch my stock marz rc3 open bath. The bladder on the pike is a poor solution imho
    The Avalanche is an open bath cartridge the last time I looked. I do agree that bladders have not turned out to be that reliable in Fox forks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    And...? Pics? Impressions? What's it on? Come on man, don't be a tease!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The Avalanche is an open bath cartridge the last time I looked. I do agree that bladders have not turned out to be that reliable in Fox forks.
    Your right it is. Not sure what I was thinking on when I typed that.....low on sleep these days.

mtbr member
    Cool, where did you get it?

Cheers,

mtbr member
    I mounted up my Slant on a Knolly Endorphin last weekend and I have had three rides on it. Short answer, I like it better than the similar Fox 34 I demo'd on the same bike on the same trails.

Long answer. I have the RL2 DLA. I weigh 210 and am running 95psi in the fork. My head angle is now 66.20* unweighted.

The fork is plush and relatively stout. I am coming from a Marz 55 Microswitch TA which I absolutely love. The Slant does not stick to its line as easy as the 55, but why would it? Smaller stanchions and axle plus 3/4 lb lighter? I am going just as fast on my favorite rock and (small) drop filled trails, but I have to pay a little more attention. The slant has made my bike even quicker side to side. I thought it was quick with the Marz but wow, I'm having so much fun railing successive corners.

It's solid on small jumps and fast rock gardens, but again, not as solid as the 55. Better than the 2011 Fox 36 TALAS RLC Fit Kashima I was running for a while. I like the fact that the low setting on the Slant is 130mm and not 120mm. Far more versatile for all-around riding, and plenty low for climbing anything.

Jury is out on the "mid-valve technology" that X-F claims. It doesn't really dive when braking, so that's good, but it does go pretty deep into the travel on flat terrain. It ramps up at the end of the stroke to prevent bottoming out. Perhaps the "mid valve" is dynamic - that is, more effect when going faster.

The stanchions are about 15mm longer than they need to be - from seal to crown leg insert is almost 180mm for a 160mm travel fork. Not sure why.

So far I really like it and it may be a more appropriate fork for the Endorphin than the Marz. I am spoiled by the burliness of the Marz and can see myself swapping back after some servicing. 8.5 out of 10. Factor in price and it's 9.5 (depending on durability, of course).
    Last edited by Herzalot; 06-04-2013 at 12:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Initial report are very good! 4.2 pounds with an uncut steer tube and axle. A full pound less than a RS Lyric solo air. Actually has 160 mm of travel (unlike the Lyric). Bushings are snug with no slop. The damper has external adjustment but the stock valving seems pretty spot on so far. It is smoother than either the Lyric or the Talas 36 that was on the bike before. Stiffness wise I can't really say that it is any less stiff than larger chassis forks but it will take a few more rides to really say for sure. The 15 mm axle is fine. I'm sure some will ***** about it but whatever. I have noticed that at least half the people I see out riding couldn't figure out if they had 5% or 50% sag on their suspension so a few mm of axle here or there is not something they are going to notice!
    Air spring is good. Fairly linear at the beginning with a slight ramp up towards the end.
    Basically it is a lighter version the Vengenace that I have on a different bike. That fork has been great and trouble free. I hope this fork will be the same.
    I got it from the local Canadian distributor. Home - Renegade Cycle Solutions

likes bicycles
    I've been fighting the same internal dilemma: Slant vs. Pike. I think I'm going to go with the Slant. It's going to be a huge improvement over my current fork (Fox Vanilla RLC 140), and why not save about $350 over the Pike?

Are all of the Slants that people have in this thread white? I contacted X Fusion and they are out of the black for "at least 1.2 months". Anyone know where to get a black?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232 View Post
    I've been fighting the same internal dilemma: Slant vs. Pike. I think I'm going to go with the Slant. It's going to be a huge improvement over my current fork (Fox Vanilla RLC 140), and why not save about $350 over the Pike?

Are all of the Slants that people have in this thread white? I contacted X Fusion and they are out of the black for "at least 1.2 months". Anyone know where to get a black?
    Contact Matt at 18 Bikes Ltd. info@18bikes.co.uk; The AWARD WINNING! bike shop in Hope, Derbyshire, in the Peak District National Park :: 18 Bikes X FUSION Slant RL2 (Taper) 2013 :: £409.00 :: FORKS :: X Fusion :: 18 Bikes Web Shop

I bought a Black Slant from them last week for $588(USD) which included shipping to the US. He stated he should have more Black Slants in today. Have to contact him (Matt) to arrange purchase since their website is not set-up for international purchases. They also remove the VAT (Value Added Tax) which drops the price significantly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Looks like the Slant comes in either 140mm or 160mm. Is that internally adjustable to say 150mm? I'm looking for an upgrade to my Revelation 150mm, and the Slant looks like a great choice. 34mm stanchions and about $400 less than a Pike.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Looks like the Slant comes in either 140mm or 160mm. Is that internally adjustable to say 150mm? I'm looking for an upgrade to my Revelation 150mm, and the Slant looks like a great choice. 34mm stanchions and about $400 less than a Pike.
    You can adjust 160, 140, 120, 100mm via internal pin system. To adjust 150mm you'll have to put a spacer in the air spring side. You can use a FOX spacer or call/email John Valera for a X-Fusion spacer. 831 531-4120, jvalera@x-fusion-shox.com

I just got my Slant today, will be putting it on a Nicolai ION 16 this weekend. Will leave a report after a few rides.

Cheers,

moaaar shimz
    Nope. RL2 isn't a sealed cartridge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Nope. RL2 isn't a sealed cartridge.
    X-fusion says it is. Are they getting liberal with technical definitions? I thought a sealed cartridge was a necessity to implement mid-valve.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You can run a mid valve in an open bath style fork. No different then how it was implemented in the early 90s for mx forks. A sealed and pressurized system just works better with a mid valve.

Keep on Rockin...
    I have just fitted a Pike on my Rip9 RDO 29er & it is a nice fork, The Maxle is a nice unit & the fork is light & see seems quite stiff.

Can you repost on how the Pike is running... Specifically, how does the middle "Compression" setting feel? On my Revelation RCT3 the Compression setting is way to harsh to be useful. I only run the fork in the Open setting. Would like to get a Pike but not if the Compression setting on the RCT3 still is too harsh/firm.

moaaar shimz
    X-fusion says it is. Are they getting liberal with technical definitions? I thought a sealed cartridge was a necessity to implement mid-valve.
    Where does it say it's a sealed cartridge?

You don't need a sealed cartridge to implement mid-valves.

RL2 damper is kind of an open bath damper. Oil is displaced by the rebound rod and travels up through the compression circuits, then exits the cartridge and oil is "stored" in a section of the stanchion (between top cap and compression piston), which then enters the cartridge again during rebound.

This design allows very little foaming and the possibility of inverting the damper (rebound at the bottom, compression at the top), lowering unsprung weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the explanation. The press release for the Slant has it under "General Info"
    http://www.xfusionshox.com/news/464-sweep-275.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    You don't need a sealed cartridge to implement mid-valves.

RL2 damper is kind of an open bath damper. Oil is displaced by the rebound rod and travels up through the compression circuits, then exits the cartridge and oil is "stored" in a section of the stanchion (between top cap and compression piston), which then enters the cartridge again during rebound.

This design allows very little foaming and the possibility of inverting the damper (rebound at the bottom, compression at the top), lowering unsprung weight.
    OK. I've had some time to digest this. I'm quite familiar with the workings of the Rockshox damper design and it sounds like this is similar in concept. If I'm correct in understanding how the midvalve works, it is a compression stack added to the piston. Instead of it being completely open on the compression stroke, it adds fluid restriction with a shim stack. Is this correct? If so, I'm not seeing how you could add any meaningful damping without a pressurized cartridge/IFP. Wouldn't you be pulling a vacuum on the bottom side of the piston during compression? Followed by a loss of rebound damping until you've collapsed the vacuum?

moaaar shimz
    OK. I've had some time to digest this. I'm quite familiar with the workings of the Rockshox damper design and it sounds like this is similar in concept. If I'm correct in understanding how the midvalve works, it is a compression stack added to the piston. Instead of it being completely open on the compression stroke, it adds fluid restriction with a shim stack. Is this correct? If so, I'm not seeing how you could add any meaningful damping without a pressurized cartridge/IFP. Wouldn't you be pulling a vacuum on the bottom side of the piston during compression? Followed by a loss of rebound damping until you've collapsed the vacuum?
    If there was no compression damping and the midvalve was very stiff, then yes, it would cavitate the fluid under the piston. When a main compression circuit is added, it generates enough pressure buildup in the fluid under it to avoid cavitation under the midvalve.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    You can get a $6 part from x fusion to drop it to 150mm

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    anyone have any latest riding impressions...picking up a sb66c this weekend that has a Slant on it....

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    anyone have any latest riding impressions...picking up a sb66c this weekend that has a Slant on it....
    I have a Pike on my Rip9 RDO & it is a Very nice fork, Far better than any other fork I have tried.

I have a X Fusion 34 SL2 fork for another project & plane to try it on my Rip9 RDO this weekend just to see how it goes.

Will try & post thoughts next week.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

mtbr member
    My Slant is still solid some 25 rides in now. I have reduced pressure to 90 from 95 psi, but have not noticed any need for service or diminished performance. It's a really good fork. I still prefer a slightly beefier chassis for point and shoot confidence (probably due to the 15mm axle v 20mm axle), but for 90% of the riding I do, the Slant is great. I even took it to my local bike park (Snow Summit) and while admittedly SS isn't the most challenging of terrain, the Slant was plush and solid enough to go with confidence. 9/10 for its category - price factored in. I haven't ridden a 10/10 in its category at any price (I haven't tried the Pike).

My Marz 55 Microswitch TA was a 10/10 in its category for the first 6 months, but then started stiffening up, even after being professionally serviced. It's at Marzocchi for some love right now.

I think the Slant is a good match for an SB66 unless you absolutely slay rock gardens at high speed. Then you might want more beef.
    Last edited by Herzalot; 08-20-2013 at 07:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I just put the Slant on my pivot mach 5.7 carbon and I have to say this fork is awesome. Way better than the fox float 150 ctd I had on before.

mtbr member
    Yeti575,
    I have both the Pike and Slant. The Slant feels very similar to the Pike and is really a simplified version of the Pike. The Pike you can adjust spring progressiveness and LSC, the Slant is pretty much pre-set. The Slant has a nice progressive spring rate and would (IMO) be a good fit with the SB66.

Down sides to the Slant, only comes in 203mm rotor PM...manufacturing oversight. A2C is a little high at 545mm. I've also developed some "knocking" where the uppers meet the lowers on the damper side. I found it by checking to see if my head set was loose/tight. Just hold the front brake closed and rock the steer tube back and forth. Place your free hand (right hand for me) around where the lowers start...ie dust seal/wipers. You'll notice it right away if its there, it also started on the very first ride.

This is my fourth X-Fusion product and my first real issue, so I think its more an abnormality than the norm. But thought you should know.

Good fork for the money, big rotors, nice pre-set progressive spring, but check for the knocking in the stanchions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

likes bicycles

Re: X-fusion slant VS rockshox pike?????

I got one in mid July. I love it.

The thing is super stiff, granted I'm coming off a 2008 Fox Vanilla 32. There wasn't much stiction out of the box, and it's broke in even more. Very plush, progressive feel. I tested it pretty hard, taking it to Northstar my second ride, and it handled it as well as a trail fork ever could. For the price of the Slant, you can't go wrong.

I find that I can plow through stuff I wouldn't dreamed of with the old fork. I'm much faster in the downhills, there's no doubt about it.

I think you'll like the slant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks for all he feedback. I currently have a float 36 on my 575 so only fork I have to compare with. "203mm rotor pm"? Y is that a disadvantage?

mtbr member
    I was kinda miffed about the 203 only rotor option. But, then I started using a 203, up from my typical 7" rotor and I am very satisfied. Still, I think 7" should be an option.

I rode a 575 (2007, then a 2009 frame) for 6 years with several different forks, some with 20mm axles, one with a 15. If you are coming off a 36 Float, you will find the Slant a bit less stout. If you are coming from a Fox 32, you will be impressed with the Slant. Middle ground. I do like the Slant's spring curve MUCH better than the 2011 Fox 36 TALAS RLC FIT Kashima I owned for a while.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Herz- I'm 6'4 and 240lbs so, I was a bit concerned coming off my 36, but I agree the slant when I rode in the parking lot felt much more supple than my 160.

So I can only run a 203mm rotor on this fork? I currently run a 180

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Can you repost on how the Pike is running... Specifically, how does the middle "Compression" setting feel? On my Revelation RCT3 the Compression setting is way to harsh to be useful. I only run the fork in the Open setting. Would like to get a Pike but not if the Compression setting on the RCT3 still is too harsh/firm.
    That's the beauty of the pike. In chunky terrain you can run more compression to actually keep it from diving, without turning it into a jackhammer. Running full-open is nice on climbs to keep traction and roots, and it's not like it blows through the travel at speed, but you can actually get it to ride higher in the travel and feel controlled with excellent chassi stability. Putting the compression damper all the way to the right isn't a true lockout, but it makes it significantly stiffer, for say pedaling on the road, but the settings around halfway are very useful and it's one of the few forks where I find settings other than "zero" compression useful for absorbing bumps and reacting to terrain. As a comparison, my CTD rear shock isn't quite as good. With the middle compression setting it doesn't transition to high speed damping as well and the rebound damping doesn't balance out very well between the various CTD settings. To get good bump absorption you gotta run the "D" setting, but then the chassi stability is terrible. None of these issues with the pike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Carbon & Ti rule
    It's 203 max size not 203 only.

Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    I was kinda miffed about the 203 only rotor option. But, then I started using a 203, up from my typical 7" rotor and I am very satisfied. Still, I think 7" should be an option.

I rode a 575 (2007, then a 2009 frame) for 6 years with several different forks, some with 20mm axles, one with a 15. If you are coming off a 36 Float, you will find the Slant a bit less stout. If you are coming from a Fox 32, you will be impressed with the Slant. Middle ground. I do like the Slant's spring curve MUCH better than the 2011 Fox 36 TALAS RLC FIT Kashima I owned for a while.

mtbr member
    It's 203 max size not 203 only.
    Incorrect. It's 203 only. Trust me, I own one. There is no way to get the caliper closer to the axle than the posts will allow.

mtbr member
    Herz- I'm 6'4 and 240lbs so, I was a bit concerned coming off my 36, but I agree the slant when I rode in the parking lot felt much more supple than my 160.

So I can only run a 203mm rotor on this fork? I currently run a 180
    I am 6'4" 210 and I can tell a difference between a 15mm axle and a 20mm. You've got me by 30 lbs, so coming off a 36, the Slant will feel more flexy. The travel quality is better on the Slant however (IMO). Yes. 203mm only. No adaptors required.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Guess I will have to buy a new rotor now. Lucky is I can ride both the slant and the 36 to see which I like better or sell both for a Pike lol

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    Incorrect. It's 203 only. Trust me, I own one. There is no way to get the caliper closer to the axle than the posts will allow.
    Yes I just checked & you are right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    To the guys running the Slant, did you feel you were missing anything by not having LSC adjustment?

Keep on Rockin...

Rct3

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That's the beauty of the pike. In chunky terrain you can run more compression to actually keep it from diving, without turning it into a jackhammer. Running full-open is nice on climbs to keep traction and roots, and it's not like it blows through the travel at speed, but you can actually get it to ride higher in the travel and feel controlled with excellent chassi stability. Putting the compression damper all the way to the right isn't a true lockout, but it makes it significantly stiffer, for say pedaling on the road, but the settings around halfway are very useful and it's one of the few forks where I find settings other than "zero" compression useful for absorbing bumps and reacting to terrain. As a comparison, my CTD rear shock isn't quite as good. With the middle compression setting it doesn't transition to high speed damping as well and the rebound damping doesn't balance out very well between the various CTD settings. To get good bump absorption you gotta run the "D" setting, but then the chassi stability is terrible. None of these issues with the pike.
    I assume the only Pike available is the RCT3, and it has the LSC dial.

So are you saying that when in the middle "trail" setting the compression is not too harsh?

Can you dial the LSC in on both the Open and Trail setting?

How are dialing this fork for trail riding where you want a bit of support to prevent dive, especially when out of the saddle? Open plus some LSC, or Trail mode with a bit of LSC, etc... ?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Herzalot,
    Im in your area, have a Ibis HD with a 55ti @ 5.5lbs, im interested in this fork to loose some weight. How is it bombing down rock it, stairsteps or telonix etc with all the chunk ? Is the Slant going to be more or less bouncy, can you dial in the rebound good enough overcompensate for this or is it just going to be twitchy compared and have to really pick the lines. Thanks !

mtbr member
    I think the Slant is a great 34mm fork. I was every bit as fast on Rock-It, Lynx and 5-Oaks - however it is not quite as planted as my Marzocchi 55 (Microswitch Air TA). I just got my 55 back from Marzocchi with brand new lowers (free of charge) and it is definitely a more confidence-inspiring fork. The Slant was not bouncy, and the rebound was great at its function. I ran it full bore at Snow Summit and really enjoyed it. It is slightly more "twitchy" than the 55, maybe due to the 34mm stanchions v 35 or maybe the 15mm axle v 20mm. You're welcome to try my Slant on your bike, if you want. PM me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes I just checked & you are right.
    Just wanted to mention this for others:

They must have updated the Slant in this regard. I just bought one and bought a 203mm rotor to go with it. Tried to install it and it didn't fit. The 180mm rotor fits right in there.

Performance-wise, I just have one ride on the Slant, and first impression is really good. Got the DLA 160/130 on the front of my Knolly Endorphin, and it felt great right out of the box.

Was looking at the Pike too, but decided to try the Slant and put the savings toward a wheel upgrade. Happy with my choice so far

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast