Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

X-fusion slant VS rockshox pike?????

While I know there are very few that have ridden these yet I wanted to get some e-speculation rolling on these forks. I'll be in the market for a STIFF, lightish, well damped 150mil, 26"fork and it will be either the new x-fusion slant or the new rockshox pike.

As of now on paper I'm leaning toward the slant. It's a touch lighter and has an open bath (I think?) dampening. Also it seems a lot of people really love their vengeance.

I have respect for sram (currently running the xx1 crank, & a reverb) but it seems they they're losing market share as of late. One thing I don't like about the pike is the 3 setting nonsense.

With all that said I'll go with what seems to be the best fork. Anybody else got any input on these forks?

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have just fitted a Pike on my Rip9 RDO 29er & it is a nice fork, The Maxle is a nice unit & the fork is light & seems quite stiff.

I only fitted it a couple of days ago so will add more when I have done more miles over the weekend.

One of my friends has a X Fusion on his 29er & he really likes it.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 08-19-2013 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    I am looking at both as well, but leaning toward the Slant (if it ever comes out) I have had two X-Fusion Forks (Velvet & Vengeance). Both are great and at fraction of the competitions prices.

If you are leaning toward the Pike and it's price point may I suggest another 34mm stanchion fork? BOS Deville, BOS is back in the US and can be purchased through Buy BOS Mountain Bike Forks, BOS MT Shocks for sale online thru only USA/Canadian Distributor The distributor, Marc, is a cool guy and will answer all your questions. I put a Black Deville on order for sh&ts and giggles due to all the European reviews putting them head and shoulders above the FOX and RS. Will be interesting to see if its worth the hype.

Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    As of now on paper I'm leaning toward the slant. It's a touch lighter and has an open bath (I think?) dampening.
    Nope. RL2 is a sealed cartridge. (Which is a good thing IMHO)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jjkitt View Post
    I am looking at both as well, but leaning toward the Slant (if it ever comes out) I have had two X-Fusion Forks (Velvet & Vengeance). Both are great and at fraction of the competitions prices.

If you are leaning toward the Pike and it's price point may I suggest another 34mm stanchion fork? BOS Deville, BOS is back in the US and can be purchased through Buy BOS Mountain Bike Forks, BOS MT Shocks for sale online thru only USA/Canadian Distributor The distributor, Marc, is a cool guy and will answer all your questions. I put a Black Deville on order for sh&ts and giggles due to all the European reviews putting them head and shoulders above the FOX and RS. Will be interesting to see if its worth the hype.

Cheers,
    I'd be able to get much more excited about BOS if it weren't for the pricepoint...oh my!!

mtbr member
    Yeah, completely understandable, they are $$$. Funny though, RS and FOX are inching their way up there too, so if you are considering the Pike or 34CTD then I thought BOS should be mentioned. I think thats why the Slant is so attractive, X-Fusion makes some hidden jems, outstanding performance at a low price...that is if you can find one, hopefully they will be out soon (September 2012 orignal advertised release date).

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by dhzion View Post
    I'd be able to get much more excited about BOS if it weren't for the pricepoint...oh my!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Cheers,
    The slant must be on it's way as you can find them on ebay out of Taiwan which is where I assume they are made.

X Fusion Slant RL2 26" Air Suspension Fork 160mm Travel Tapered 15mm Axle | eBay

The Boss has been on my radar for sure but would need to have access to parts like the other brands to ever consider one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have just fitted a Pike on my Rip9 RDO 29er & it is a nice fork, The Maxle is a nice unit & the fork is light & see seems quite stiff.

I only fitted it a couple of days ago so will add more when I have done more miles over the weekend.

Yes, please check back in & let us know what you think after some trail time

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    mmmm....the only really good sealed cartridge I'm a fan of is the avy cartridge for the lyric. Even my previous pushed fox's can't touch my stock marz rc3 open bath. The bladder on the pike is a poor solution imho

mtbr member
    The Boss has been on my radar for sure but would need to have access to parts like the other brands to ever consider one.
    Yeah, completely understandable. And from what I understand that is one of the issues that ended BOS's initial entry into the US market several years ago. From what Marc has told me, he has all parts needed for repairs and maintenance. But that is the rub, only he and his authorized service centers (one east coast, one west coast) can crack open that puppy if you want to keep the warranty intact. But it has an open bath and fully adjustable.
    Interesting dilemma...best to you on your search.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I am looking at both as well, but leaning toward the Slant (if it ever comes out)
    I got my Slant nearly 2 weeks ago... They are out!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    mmmm....the only really good sealed cartridge I'm a fan of is the avy cartridge for the lyric. Even my previous pushed fox's can't touch my stock marz rc3 open bath. The bladder on the pike is a poor solution imho
    The Avalanche is an open bath cartridge the last time I looked. I do agree that bladders have not turned out to be that reliable in Fox forks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    And...? Pics? Impressions? What's it on? Come on man, don't be a tease!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The Avalanche is an open bath cartridge the last time I looked. I do agree that bladders have not turned out to be that reliable in Fox forks.
    Your right it is. Not sure what I was thinking on when I typed that.....low on sleep these days.

mtbr member
    Cool, where did you get it?

Cheers,

mtbr member
    I mounted up my Slant on a Knolly Endorphin last weekend and I have had three rides on it. Short answer, I like it better than the similar Fox 34 I demo'd on the same bike on the same trails.

Long answer. I have the RL2 DLA. I weigh 210 and am running 95psi in the fork. My head angle is now 66.20* unweighted.

The fork is plush and relatively stout. I am coming from a Marz 55 Microswitch TA which I absolutely love. The Slant does not stick to its line as easy as the 55, but why would it? Smaller stanchions and axle plus 3/4 lb lighter? I am going just as fast on my favorite rock and (small) drop filled trails, but I have to pay a little more attention. The slant has made my bike even quicker side to side. I thought it was quick with the Marz but wow, I'm having so much fun railing successive corners.

It's solid on small jumps and fast rock gardens, but again, not as solid as the 55. Better than the 2011 Fox 36 TALAS RLC Fit Kashima I was running for a while. I like the fact that the low setting on the Slant is 130mm and not 120mm. Far more versatile for all-around riding, and plenty low for climbing anything.

Jury is out on the "mid-valve technology" that X-F claims. It doesn't really dive when braking, so that's good, but it does go pretty deep into the travel on flat terrain. It ramps up at the end of the stroke to prevent bottoming out. Perhaps the "mid valve" is dynamic - that is, more effect when going faster.

The stanchions are about 15mm longer than they need to be - from seal to crown leg insert is almost 180mm for a 160mm travel fork. Not sure why.

So far I really like it and it may be a more appropriate fork for the Endorphin than the Marz. I am spoiled by the burliness of the Marz and can see myself swapping back after some servicing. 8.5 out of 10. Factor in price and it's 9.5 (depending on durability, of course).
    Last edited by Herzalot; 06-03-2013 at 11:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Initial report are very good! 4.2 pounds with an uncut steer tube and axle. A full pound less than a RS Lyric solo air. Actually has 160 mm of travel (unlike the Lyric). Bushings are snug with no slop. The damper has external adjustment but the stock valving seems pretty spot on so far. It is smoother than either the Lyric or the Talas 36 that was on the bike before. Stiffness wise I can't really say that it is any less stiff than larger chassis forks but it will take a few more rides to really say for sure. The 15 mm axle is fine. I'm sure some will ***** about it but whatever. I have noticed that at least half the people I see out riding couldn't figure out if they had 5% or 50% sag on their suspension so a few mm of axle here or there is not something they are going to notice!
    Air spring is good. Fairly linear at the beginning with a slight ramp up towards the end.
    Basically it is a lighter version the Vengenace that I have on a different bike. That fork has been great and trouble free. I hope this fork will be the same.
    I got it from the local Canadian distributor. Home - Renegade Cycle Solutions

likes bicycles
    I've been fighting the same internal dilemma: Slant vs. Pike. I think I'm going to go with the Slant. It's going to be a huge improvement over my current fork (Fox Vanilla RLC 140), and why not save about $350 over the Pike?

Are all of the Slants that people have in this thread white? I contacted X Fusion and they are out of the black for "at least 1.2 months". Anyone know where to get a black?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232 View Post
    I've been fighting the same internal dilemma: Slant vs. Pike. I think I'm going to go with the Slant. It's going to be a huge improvement over my current fork (Fox Vanilla RLC 140), and why not save about $350 over the Pike?

Are all of the Slants that people have in this thread white? I contacted X Fusion and they are out of the black for "at least 1.2 months". Anyone know where to get a black?
    Contact Matt at 18 Bikes Ltd. info@18bikes.co.uk; The AWARD WINNING! bike shop in Hope, Derbyshire, in the Peak District National Park :: 18 Bikes X FUSION Slant RL2 (Taper) 2013 :: 409.00 :: FORKS :: X Fusion :: 18 Bikes Web Shop

I bought a Black Slant from them last week for $588(USD) which included shipping to the US. He stated he should have more Black Slants in today. Have to contact him (Matt) to arrange purchase since their website is not set-up for international purchases. They also remove the VAT (Value Added Tax) which drops the price significantly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Looks like the Slant comes in either 140mm or 160mm. Is that internally adjustable to say 150mm? I'm looking for an upgrade to my Revelation 150mm, and the Slant looks like a great choice. 34mm stanchions and about $400 less than a Pike.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Looks like the Slant comes in either 140mm or 160mm. Is that internally adjustable to say 150mm? I'm looking for an upgrade to my Revelation 150mm, and the Slant looks like a great choice. 34mm stanchions and about $400 less than a Pike.
    You can adjust 160, 140, 120, 100mm via internal pin system. To adjust 150mm you'll have to put a spacer in the air spring side. You can use a FOX spacer or call/email John Valera for a X-Fusion spacer. 831 531-4120, jvalera@x-fusion-shox.com

I just got my Slant today, will be putting it on a Nicolai ION 16 this weekend. Will leave a report after a few rides.

Cheers,

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Nope. RL2 isn't a sealed cartridge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    Nope. RL2 isn't a sealed cartridge.
    X-fusion says it is. Are they getting liberal with technical definitions? I thought a sealed cartridge was a necessity to implement mid-valve.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You can run a mid valve in an open bath style fork. No different then how it was implemented in the early 90s for mx forks. A sealed and pressurized system just works better with a mid valve.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have just fitted a Pike on my Rip9 RDO 29er & it is a nice fork, The Maxle is a nice unit & the fork is light & see seems quite stiff.

Can you repost on how the Pike is running... Specifically, how does the middle "Compression" setting feel? On my Revelation RCT3 the Compression setting is way to harsh to be useful. I only run the fork in the Open setting. Would like to get a Pike but not if the Compression setting on the RCT3 still is too harsh/firm.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast