Thread: X-Fusion shox

≈ > ♥

X-Fusion shox

Just picked up/installed my first X-Fusion, a '13 Slant RL2 DLA, for one of my hardtails. I've heard very good things about their Vengeance, so I figured I'd give their AM fork a try.

I've had a few people interested in my thoughts on it, as it's new. Figured I'd post something up.

130-160mm travel adjust, air sprung, lockout, 15mm axle, 34mm stanchions.
    No plastic internals, I like that.

1951g after I cut the steertube to length.

Initial impressions are good. Had a short setup ride, then did 45km rocking out two laps of a local loop for a decent first ride.

Easy to adjust between the 130 and 160 settings. Lockout will work in either travel setting.

Rebound adjust has 33 clicks. I eventually settled on having it dialed right in the middle. The adjust actually adjusts it, there's a nice range to it.

I ended up putting 5psi more than they recommended for my weight.

What's a little different on this fork is that it doesn't have a traditional compression adjust. I was a bit wary of that, as I like having a high/low comp adjust to remove brakedive and still be able to set it up for getting the wheels off the ground.

It has a new 'mid-valve compression' that comes set from the factory.
    What does it do? The first little bit of travel is wide open and plush: short high-frequency buzzy stuff disappears. Didn't even feel smaller diameter off-camber roots. OmNomNom, no deflection.

As you get more into the travel, the compression firms up. Progressive comp? May just feel that way because it's an airspring, though?
    Getting deeper into the travel off some quick medium-sized floaters, I could feel the fork travel stiffen up. I like a bit of progressiveness in a fork though, so there's no harsh bottom out. Didn't bottom, though I came close.

First impressions? I like it!
    Will get out and do a lot more riding on her over the next few days.

came with a pump, bearbell, starnut, and sticker

black knob is travel adjust
    blue knob is lockout
    both are 1/4 turn

no small rotors, direct 8" postmount

Red knob is rebound
    black is air spring valve

at the end of 2nd lap
    stupid bearings... just rebuilt and installed new ones.

And then I saw a rainbow while pedalling home on the bare axle

mtbr member
    Nice! Where did you pick it up?

mtbr member
    I'm Mr 'No Luck with forks'. I got an X-Fusion Velvet DLA. One ride. One ride now stuck down condition like the negative air chamber has exploded. Sent it back, still waiting weeks later, $3000 bike got an old front wheel and a 9mm DJ3 on it just so I can ride.

If it isn't Marzocchi or Manitou I kill it quick. Had a RS Tora 318 for about 2 months before the casing cracked and dumped a load of oil on my brakes.

≈ > ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjm_2000 View Post
    Nice! Where did you pick it up?
    I currently live in Asia. Picked it up over here.

I've since gotten in a few gravity shuttle days on the fork. Fairly impressed with it.

mtbr member
    Is the blue compression knob only 2 positions now? Just on or off, and no range of adjustment?!

mtbr member
    That's a lot of fork for a hardtail. Thanks for posting your impressions. I just ordered one, not because I needed a fork, but because I am intrigued and like wasting money on forks.

Do you have to have an 8" rotor or can I run a 7"?

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by FlavC View Post
    Is the blue compression knob only 2 positions now? Just on or off, and no range of adjustment?!
    now?

RL and RL2 dampers have always worked like that.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Herzalot View Post
    That's a lot of fork for a hardtail. Thanks for posting your impressions. I just ordered one, not because I needed a fork, but because I am intrigued and like wasting money on forks.

Do you have to have an 8" rotor or can I run a 7"?
    For this version of Slant you will have to run 8" rotor. A "second generation" Slant will be released soon with 180mm rotor compatibility.

Class Clown
    Pfft...no double rainbow

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    They were supposed to release those forks at teh begging of 2013. Now its almost mid year and the forks are not available in Europe and US. Only a few available in Asia.
    Is there something wrong with their production?

mtbr member
    I just rode my new Slant yesterday. Same model as above. RL2 - DLA. It was very, very good. Better than the 2013 version of the Fox 34 CTD that I demo'd on the same bike (2013 Knolly Endorphin) on the same trails (Aliso in Southern California).

130 is a much more user-friendly and versatile setting than 120. It's low enough to climb the steepest rideable stuff, but still over 5" so it could be used on trails with quick transitions from steep downs to steep ups and back again such as Gooseberry Mesa in UT.

The travel is smooth, plush and forgiving. The chassis is at least as stiff as the Fox. I am coming from a 2012 Marzocchi 55 Microswitch TA. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison, but the Slant is almost as good as the Zoke, yet 3/4 lb lighter and $300 cheaper. The Marz is burlier, of course, but I was able to run all of my favorite "fork-testing" runs with the Slant at the same speed or faster with no noticeable compromise up front.

Since it's a first production, I will have to take a "wait and see" attitude towards durability and reliability, but initial impressions are good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Just ordered the 2013 x-fusion slant RL2 in black no DLA. 380 brill price can not wait to try these out . I have to say I lost all love for x- fusion after the vengance forks becouse the stering tube started creaking in its crown after 2 weeks so was not impressed. Now I've been told this problem has been sorted so XF now have a chance to redeem themselves. Have to say it tho the vengance fork was bloody brill way better than fox .

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I've got the x fusion slant, but really wish I didn't have to run a 200mm rotor. Any word on the revised lowers that would accept a 180mm rotor?
    Thanks
    Joel