mtbr member
    Feb 2010

X-fusion O2 RCX versus Fox Float RP23

I have a Nomad 2 (2010) which originally came with a Rockshox Monarch 3.3 shock. After a little more than 1 season, the shock started leaking (air and oil) even though it was serviced about 3 - 4 months earlier. The shock had to be sent back to Rockshox, but even they couldn't fix it, so they sent me a brand-new one. Same problem again...
    Bottomline, I don't wanna see this shock ever again on my bike. I'm currently looking at the RP23 and O2 RCX. Does anybody have experience with an O2 RCX on a Nomad (or similar bike) and could give me some feedback?

P.S.: Some additional info: I weigh 115 lbs and do anything from XC to light DH. The Monarch was specifically tuned to my weight and riding style (including the lighest oil available) which resulted in considerable performance improvement, but overall, I was never blown away by this shock...

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Hey Twee-Tee give me a call tomorrow @ X-Fusion or drop me an email and I will help you out with your decision on the proper shock for your Nomad.

jvalera@xfusionshox.com aka John Valera
    X-FUSION-SHOX
    USA Sales & Service Mgr.

Pain is only temporary but Glory is FOREVER!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I put an O2 RCX on my wife's Intense SS. It works pretty well and I suspect it would work even better on the Nomad as the suspension is designed more around an air shock. The shock with the large volume air sleeve is quite linear and good for a bike with a progressive suspension curve. Ride is excellent. Required air pressure seems to be fairly low. Damping works as advertised. Rebound has a large an useful range. Air sleeve maintenance is super easy. I have had excellent customer service from the local distributor. And it is cheaper than a Fox shock! It has been on the bike for nearly a year (except when she rides the at the ski hills and then I put a X Fusion Vector Coil HLR... Also a fantastic shock!) and other than some air sleeve maintenance there has not been a single issue. Build quality seems very good. As a machinist I seem a lot of bike stuff and the machine work on it is typically sub par but the three X Fusion shocks I have had have all been nicely made. The one complaint I had about it was that the damping adjustment lever had a bit of a vague feel to it. There is a small set screw that has a spring and a steel ball behind it. It is what rides in the lever shaft and clicks it into place. I simply tightened up the set screw a little and the lever has a firm positive feel now. I would buy another one in a minute. If you can afford it I would also look at the new Vector Air. It looks like a nice shock and I am very curious to give it a try.
    I don't think you would go wrong with a RP23 but I also don't think that you will go wrong with an O2 RCX either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by myarmisonfire View Post
    I put an O2 RCX on my wife's Intense SS. It works pretty well and I suspect it would work even better on the Nomad as the suspension is designed more around an air shock. The shock with the large volume air sleeve is quite linear and good for a bike with a progressive suspension curve. Ride is excellent. Required air pressure seems to be fairly low. Damping works as advertised. Rebound has a large an useful range. Air sleeve maintenance is super easy. I have had excellent customer service from the local distributor. And it is cheaper than a Fox shock! It has been on the bike for nearly a year (except when she rides the at the ski hills and then I put a X Fusion Vector Coil HLR... Also a fantastic shock!) and other than some air sleeve maintenance there has not been a single issue. Build quality seems very good. As a machinist I seem a lot of bike stuff and the machine work on it is typically sub par but the three X Fusion shocks I have had have all been nicely made. The one complaint I had about it was that the damping adjustment lever had a bit of a vague feel to it. There is a small set screw that has a spring and a steel ball behind it. It is what rides in the lever shaft and clicks it into place. I simply tightened up the set screw a little and the lever has a firm positive feel now. I would buy another one in a minute. If you can afford it I would also look at the new Vector Air. It looks like a nice shock and I am very curious to give it a try.
    I don't think you would go wrong with a RP23 but I also don't think that you will go wrong with an O2 RCX either.
    Thanks a lot!

Anybody else out there who could give me some more feedback?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaprider4Life View Post
    Hey Twee-Tee give me a call tomorrow @ X-Fusion or drop me an email and I will help you out with your decision on the proper shock for your Nomad.

jvalera@xfusionshox.com aka John Valera
    I'm sure you'll help me out
    By the way, I sent an email with a few questions to usinfo@xfusionshox.com mid of October and never got any feedback... Needless to say that I wasn't very impressed ...

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Twee-Tee View Post
    Thanks a lot!

Anybody else out there who could give me some more feedback?
    I used one on a Santa Cruz Butcher and it felt pretty good. Adjuster clicks make a big difference and the XV air sleeve made the shock ride taller in it's travel which I liked.