Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 223

Thread: X-Fusion Metric

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    59

    X-Fusion Metric

    Tried to search some reviews about this fork, nothing found.
    Is there anyone out there who has it? would like to hear some opinions.

    Im considering this for my Bronson, mainly because its 27.5" specific and takes 20mm hubs. Did not find any other 27.5 forks with 20mm axle.

    I heard that 26" & 27.5" models have same lowers, only the crown is different, was wondering how much clearance there is for 650b 2.35" hans dampf with wide rim.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    358
    So new, doubt there will be any reviews for a few months. According to X-Fusion Facebook site the Metrics are shipping from their warehouse. You might want to call John Valera (831) 531-4120, he is pretty good about picking up the phone.

    BOS also makes a 27.5 for with 20mm axle. Check out these sites...they are available.
    Art's Cyclery
    27.5"/650B Mountain Bike Suspension Forks
    or
    Seven02Distribution
    650B

    Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    59
    Yeah, thats what i thought, its way too new.
    For some reason Im not too excited about Bos, I guess i just have to go and order Metric

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    358
    Keep an eye on Bikes, Bike Reviews, Cycling Routes, Race News - BikeRadar , they always seem to get X-Fusion products first to review. If the Metric is what X-Fusion preaches as the next generation/improvement to the Vengeance, I seriously doubt you will be disappointed, I have a Vengeance HLR Coil and its darn good.

    Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: yeti575inCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,784
    Saw one in person today that John had on display at a demo... For what it's worth sweep/slant are noticeably lighter..

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by yeti575inCA View Post
    Saw one in person today that John had on display at a demo... For what it's worth sweep/slant are noticeably lighter..
    That's kind of like saying a float 34 is noticeably lighter than a float 180.

    The metric to me it looks like they separated the 26 and 27.5 models, gave it 180mm and knocked about 140g off the fork. Seems to be the same air spring and damper as before. So, not much of a weight or a2c penalty compared to the competition now. If they keep the msrp a little cheaper than the lyrik and fox then I'd see no reason to get either of them. You get the better damper and air spring with none of the issues of before.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    59
    Yeah, i think i just go ahead and buy one tomorrow.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: windv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Yeah, i think i just go ahead and buy one tomorrow.
    Be sure to share first impressions and photos

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Yeah, i think i just go ahead and buy one tomorrow.
    Love this. Dive in head first! I did the same with my Vengeance and have been impressed ever since.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Looking at buying one of these before next season (though in 26"). Post up lots of pics.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    358
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Yeah, i think i just go ahead and buy one tomorrow.
    Let us know what X-Fusion has to say in regards to on-hand stock. Sometimes it came be hit or miss with them....pretty much one of their only negatitve issues is availble inventory. Guess their stuff is getting higher demand...good for them.

    Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    59

    X-Fusion Metric

    Well, i just tried to buy one. Have been talking with them about 27.5" specific Metric for the past 2 weeks, now that i said take my money, i was told that 27.5" Metric is not available and it takes about 3 months before it is.
    Dont know what to think about all this now.
    I cant wait 3 months, have to find another fork for my Bronson, but more importantly this was my 1st time talking with them, i was ready to buy after all the back and fort emailing and now its not available, might be that i misunderstood somerhing but i was talking about 27.5" metric and they told me im in luck, they just got them.
    Damn. I was so ready to be done with internet mountainbiking and actually be ready to hit the trails.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    358
    Yeah, feel your pain. I wanted a Slant, they originally quoted my a delivery date of Sep 2012. I finally got one in May 2013. Hate to say it, but if they quoted 3 months, it might as well be 6 months. Not their fault (I want to believe)...I've read they are subject to the "mother-ship" in Taiwan impacting their product on hand. I've found UK bike shops get X-Fusion products faster than we do in the USA. I actually got my Slant from 18 Bikes LTD in the UK... FORKS :: X Fusion :: 18 Bikes Web Shop

    Sorry to hear...bummer man. Best to you on you search.

    Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    552
    If you don't need those 10mm you could just get the Vengeance?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    If you don't need those 10mm you could just get the Vengeance?
    The Metric is lighter and has a better featureset, though I'm not sure how much use stuff like the neutralization valves will be.

  16. #16
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,023
    Had the same issue, I actually always wanted a Venegence, but took a closer look at the Metric, dealer confirmed not yet available.

    I went for a Venegnce HLR air and it kicks arse, best damped fork Ive ever ridden! and after seeing, riding some of the latest forks from others I couldn't be happier!

    Weight is a non issue, it actually rides way better, coming off a Float 34, I don't miss the lighter weight one bit, but in terms of dampening its just blown my mind, no other manafacturer has come close imo out of the box to this in performance! 34, 36s I've owned don't come close to this performance.

    Nuetra valves are just an air release not a big issue, Metric looks sic though, def be looking at one in the future!

    Plus the Ven/Metric use ITA internal travel adjust, its easy to internally set the travel where you want it, metric anywhere between 150mm - 180mm, Vengence depending on which model 100-150-170mm
    I have mine at 160mm.

    Zocchis, Foxs over them, would love to test a Pike back to back to the Veng, heard they are having bushing issues at the harder end of the riding scale, now it's been around a bit def something I wanted to avoid.

    Def don't feel I'm missing out on Metric or the Pike for that matter.

    I just want to ride the shite out of this thing, no excuses now

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    59
    Got my metric today. Looks good, graphics are bit ugly but I don't care about it.
    Couple more days and I can go for first test drive

  18. #18
    J:
    J: is offline
    no E: = : )
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,673

    bummer

    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Well, i just tried to buy one. Have been talking with them about 27.5" specific Metric for the past 2 weeks, now that i said take my money, i was told that 27.5" Metric is not available and it takes about 3 months before it is.
    Dont know what to think about all this now.
    I cant wait 3 months, have to find another fork for my Bronson, but more importantly this was my 1st time talking with them, i was ready to buy after all the back and fort emailing and now its not available, might be that i misunderstood somerhing but i was talking about 27.5" metric and they told me im in luck, they just got them.
    Damn. I was so ready to be done with internet mountainbiking and actually be ready to hit the trails.
    This is what he told me last year.. 3 mo for 27.5"... I'll believe it when I see one
    ...

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779

    R: X-Fusion Metric

    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Got my metric today. Looks good, graphics are bit ugly but I don't care about it.
    Couple more days and I can go for first test drive
    Great, 26" or 27.5"?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    59
    26" since the only difference is 4mm offset on a crown, lowers are the same.
    I would have taken the 27,5" but I can not wait 3 months

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jjkitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    358
    Congrats!!
    Post some pics & a review when you get a chance.

    Cheers,
    "I Like the Cut of His Jib"

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    59

    X-Fusion Metric



    It came with 4 sets of different decals so its easier to match it with rest of the bike


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    J:
    J: is offline
    no E: = : )
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,673

    Good job! looks tastey

    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    26" since the only difference is 4mm offset on a crown, lowers are the same.
    I would have taken the 27,5" but I can not wait 3 months

    Are you sure that's the only diff, should have more tire clearance too right.. or what's the clearance from axle to arch on the 26?
    ...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    59

    X-Fusion Metric

    Thats what i was told by x-fusion dudes, lowers are the same, enough clearance for 27,5. My friend has older 26" vengeance and he is using it with 27,5" wheel.
    That was my concern as well if there is better clearance for 27,5" but no, its the same for both


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    703
    The vengeance was always a 27.5" fork. According to their website the 27.5" metric has 5mm longer a2c besides the offset change.

  26. #26
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Thats what i was told by x-fusion dudes, lowers are the same, enough clearance for 27,5. My friend has older 26" vengeance and he is using it with 27,5" wheel.
    That was my concern as well if there is better clearance for 27,5" but no, its the same for both


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please five us a reveiw when ya can, also love to hear what you think of it compared to your freinds Venegence (depending on what year it is and if air or coil) Im running a 13 Veng HLR air which is the best fork Ive ever run, it kills anything on the market Ive tired or owned. Also wanted a Metric but couldnt wait.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    703
    What's the msrp difference btw?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Thats what i was told by x-fusion dudes, lowers are the same, enough clearance for 27,5. My friend has older 26" vengeance and he is using it with 27,5" wheel.
    That was my concern as well if there is better clearance for 27,5" but no, its the same for both
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    The vengeance was always a 27.5" fork. According to their website the 27.5" metric has 5mm longer a2c besides the offset change.
    I read that the 26" and 27.5" share the same lowers, too.

    I think the 27.5" upper adds that 4mm offset AND that 5mm height to give a better crown clearance at full compression.


    The Vengeance as I see it is a 26" fork with a 27.5 clearance, as the offset is 26"-like

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Tapered steerers might be an especially incremental upgrade, but it adds up. Long travel bikes are a lot lighter than they used to be.

    Edit: VVVV S/He means using a 1.125 steerer in a 1.5 headtube to get more head angle adjustment with an angleset. You can get up to 3 degrees with that setup, but only 1.5 with tapered IIRC.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannedaroo View Post
    I could have gotten a Metric and would have liked the additional offset, but totally disappointed that it only comes in tapered steerer. I'm all about 1.5 HT's and 1.125" steer tubes for HA adjustment. The industry is backing itself into a corner with some of these "standards," IMO.
    How? How many frames can you name that are designed to use a 180mm fork made in the last few of years have a straight 1.125" headtube? Why, as a company would you manufacture a completely separate csu just to sell to a very small market of people with 5+ year old frames?

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    552
    Tapered headtubes are a stiffer interface than a 1.125. That is part of the reason customers/manufacturers have moved on to tapered.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannedaroo View Post
    lol, my 5+ year old frames suit me fine.
    No one said it didn't

    I understand it from a profitability standpoint, but that does not mean that it's completely logical as a consumer.
    Phasing out outdated stuff generally doesn't make people who don't want to adapt happy.

    Tapered headtubes don't appeal to me in the least.
    They don't need to appeal to you as a feature. I could care less about tapered as well.

    I'd rather have the benefit of adjustment than worry about a lb in weight savings.
    These two items are independent.



    Speaking of being logical, I don't find your thoughts on this logical personally. Pretty much any 5+ year old frame is going to be a cheap $500ish purchase used. Why would you spend $900-1000 on a new fork that's 50% or more of the value of your entire 2008 bike? You'd be far better off selling your frame, spending $1000 on a nice used frame and using the money from the original frame to buy that fork used. A year after it's release you'll find it for 50% value easily. Assuming you buy quality used then you just got a new gen fork and frame for what you had into your old gen frame and new fork.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    ...These two items are independent...
    If the larger interface is stronger, you should be able to make the frame/fork lighter by using less material while maintaining the same strength. No idea how that works out in the real world, I agree with your other points.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    If the larger interface is stronger, you should be able to make the frame/fork lighter by using less material while maintaining the same strength. No idea how that works out in the real world, I agree with your other points.
    He mentioned benefit of adjustment compared to saving weight. I'm assuming he meant a better damper/features compared to new chassis design. The two are independent obviously unless he meant something else for adjustment.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    I edited my post above to explain:

    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    ...using a 1.125 steerer in a 1.5 headtube to get more head angle adjustment with an angleset. You can get up to 3 degrees with that setup, but only 1.5 with tapered IIRC.

  36. #36
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    Can we ditch the logical pissing contest for a ride report from taikuri?

    I'm much more interested in how the Metric rides compared to other forks than a rehash of arguments of tapered vs straight or discussions about bike depreciation.

    I've seen one Metric on the trails so far but the LBS has run out of them again. Looks like a great potential dual-crown replacement.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    I'm much more interested in how the Metric rides compared to other forks than a rehash of arguments of tapered vs straight or discussions about bike depreciation.
    Have you ever ridden a vengeance? This fork is a couple hundred grams lighter, has 10mm more travel, the same damper and a slightly improved air spring. It should ride almost identical to a vengeance. It even has a shorter a2c than the vengeance in 26". Did you have some concerns about it?

  38. #38
    Mtb Guide
    Reputation: Maverick005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    1,023
    It also has ITA so its not limited to a dual crown replacement, its also a hardcore Enduro fork, ya can keep ya 34 mm POS, I run a 13 Vengeance now and its the best damped fork Ive ridden, ridden all the 13 stuff except the BOS Deville, which is definitely not as stiff as a Vengeance, bring on the review of the Metric, yeahaa

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51

    X-Fusion Metric

    Bought one today for my banshee rune, ive had it adjusted to 160 to start with , cant wait to ride this fork

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51

    X-Fusion Metric

    Will give a short review in a few weeks time

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    115
    Does anybody know where to get the Metric? I've looked online to see if any of the online bike shops have them, but haven't seen any yet. And, how much $ are they going for? I would really like one for my 2011 Kona Coilair. I just converted it to 27.5, but it's a little tight in the Lyric.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    59
    I bought it directly from X-fusion from US. i paid 999USD

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    115
    Cool, thanks!

  44. #44
    J:
    J: is offline
    no E: = : )
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,673
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachem6 View Post
    Does anybody know where to get the Metric? I've looked online to see if any of the online bike shops have them, but haven't seen any yet. And, how much $ are they going for? I would really like one for my 2011 Kona Coilair. I just converted it to 27.5, but it's a little tight in the Lyric.
    They didn't have the 650b offset when I called..

    What's up with the damper on these, I've seen no tear down/service instructions like the Veng damper had (can't find those vids anymore either)?? Love to hear if stiffness compares to the 180mm fox or the 66
    ...

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    they dont have the 27.5 offset in the UK either , Ive bought the version in stock which i believe to be a 26 version and will be running it on 27.5, checked the clearance las night with stans flow /hans dampf 2.35 / 27.5 and its about 10mm on the arch and at bottom out its 15mm on the crown , so plenty there. Not sure if the offset will make a huge difference in handling . the headangle on the banshee rune is pretty slack anyway which should make up for that ,

    opinions please ?

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22
    Have had a couple rides on my Metric and so far really impressed! I think it is actually very light for a 180mm travel fork, certainly saved some pounds over the 66 it replaced. Got mine from Renegade Cycle Solutions here in Canada and the service was top notch. Comes with a proprietary brake adaptor from 180mm post mount to 200mm. Was told the 42mm offset Metric will work with 27.5 with no modifications and on my Canfield One with a 65 degree head angle I didn't think I needed the 46mm offset. The damping is pretty stellar, easy to find a good setup on the first ride and provided great balance with the CCDB Air it is paired with. The reduction in unsprung weight from my old fork (66 RC2X) is quite noticeable and quickly calmed all fears about going with air over coil for me. First tapered steerer fork I've had also and the improvement in tracking was a real eye opener for me. Less hand fatigue on a long downhill day had me marvelling at the stiffness for the weight the Metric comes in at. Still dialling in settings over the winter and will try out 27.5 in the front next year. Agree with an earlier poster about the graphics but a sharpie murdered mine out all quick like. Cheers!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScottW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,215
    Has anyone weighed their new Metric? I know claimed weight is 2200 but I saw this pic online where they weighed one at 4.14 lbs/1878 grams

    New Prototype X-Fusion Sweep 27.5/650B Fork and 180mm Metric and RV1 DH Fork Weighed

    May have been lighter since it was a prototype.

  48. #48
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,116
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Has anyone weighed their new Metric? I know claimed weight is 2200 but I saw this pic online where they weighed one at 4.14 lbs/1878 grams

    New Prototype X-Fusion Sweep 27.5/650B Fork and 180mm Metric and RV1 DH Fork Weighed

    May have been lighter since it was a prototype.
    4 lbs 14 oz is 2.21 kg

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ScottW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    4 lbs 14 oz is 2.21 kg
    Yep you're right. I looked at 2 different convertors that said 1877 but did the math myself and get 2207. Can't even trust the internet now,,,

  50. #50
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Yep you're right. I looked at 2 different convertors that said 1877 but did the math myself and get 2207. Can't even trust the internet now,,,
    It works when you use the correct units with the correct converters (like this one)

    You are converting 4.14lbs -> 1.88kg

    You should be converting 4lb 14oz to get 2.21kg.

    Got to love the Imperial units system. Not

    Looking forward to some more Metric reviews though. And actual fork availability...

  51. #51
    J:
    J: is offline
    no E: = : )
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,673
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    4 lbs 14 oz is 2.21 kg
    Have any wrench time with RV1 or Metric yet?
    ...

  52. #52
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Have any wrench time with RV1 or Metric yet?
    I stopped distributing X-Fusion so my wrench time on newer stuff have decreased dramatically. Anything you are interested in specifically?

  53. #53
    J:
    J: is offline
    no E: = : )
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,673

    Mv1

    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    I stopped distributing X-Fusion so my wrench time on newer stuff have decreased dramatically. Anything you are interested in specifically?
    RV1 guts + Metric CSU= Coil Metric?
    ...

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    78
    Can these be adjusted to 170mm? Looks like you can just use the 170 pin hole for the stock vengeance travel setting.

  55. #55
    Outcast
    Reputation: Renegade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    8,574
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    I stopped distributing X-Fusion so my wrench time on newer stuff have decreased dramatically. Anything you are interested in specifically?
    Does this mean you won`t be posting how great x-fusion products are whenever someone starts an X-fusion thread?
    You stopped distributing them? Don`t you mean the shop you worked for stopped distributing them?
    ****

  56. #56
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    Have you ever ridden a vengeance? This fork is a couple hundred grams lighter, has 10mm more travel, the same damper and a slightly improved air spring. It should ride almost identical to a vengeance. It even has a shorter a2c than the vengeance in 26". Did you have some concerns about it?
    I've never ridden a Vengeance, the only X Fusion product is a shock which I like.

    Besides how it rides (the critical factor), I'm curious as to how the hub release mechanism works in practice as I frequently mount and dismount the front wheel. I'm used to the Maxle DH (secure but a bit of a faff) and the dual flip levers found on the Fox 36s (very convenient, secure and pretty much impossible to get wrong, plus you can visually tell that the axle is locked). The pinch bolt thing doesn't look particularly elegant or fast.

  57. #57
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Does this mean you won`t be posting how great x-fusion products are whenever someone starts an X-fusion thread?
    You stopped distributing them? Don`t you mean the shop you worked for stopped distributing them?
    It means the company I own stopped distributing them. We now import, distribute and service Cane Creek suspension in Mexico.

    Even if I'm not a X-Fusion distributor anymore, I can say they make some solid forks. I still have a Vengeance HLR coil on my bike and I love it.

  58. #58
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    RV1 guts + Metric CSU= Coil Metric?
    No idea, but I think you would at least need the Metric CSU to have a threaded end for the RV1 base plate (I haven't seen one from inside TBH), a spring that fits the RV1 spring guide (and delivers 180mm of travel) and also cut and re-tap the RV1 spring rod to proper size (assuming it is straight wall). Sounds like a lot of hassle.

  59. #59
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    taikuri, toothless or anyone else with a Metric:

    How are you finding the red rebound knobs? My rebound (new Metric, not yet ridden) seems a bit odd:

    Slowest setting is dead slow
    Second click is slower than I'd use
    Third click is a usable speed
    Clicks 5-17 (or however many clicks there are) are well into pogo territory.

    My Vector shock rebound is much more sensibly balanced. Neither are usable at the extremes of rebound, but there is a good middle ground of settings that I can use.

    Basically with the Metric there are only one or two clicks before rebound gets silly-fast.

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ramjm_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    It means the company I own stopped distributing them. We now import, distribute and service Cane Creek suspension in Mexico.

    Even if I'm not a X-Fusion distributor anymore, I can say they make some solid forks. I still have a Vengeance HLR coil on my bike and I love it.
    Tacu

    Given you have extensive XF service knowledge would you know how to read an XF serial number? I have a few other questions if you don't mind a PM ? Thanks
    JR

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    Did someone get the 650b already?

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    And why are people claiming a 200g weight saving over a Vengeance when a Vengeance air HLR weights at 2254g vs the 2268g of the Metric (both listed weights, but seems to be close to real)?

    I was leaning toward a Metric 650b but lack of info about availability and high price are not encouraging.
    A Vengeance would be same weight, same damper, 300 euro less expensive, and readily available.
    650b offset is actually the only plus of the Metric, isn't it?

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Does the offset honestly make that much difference ? what about other possible mitigating factors such as slack head tube angle etc ?

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by dzdale View Post
    Does the offset honestly make that much difference ? what about other possible mitigating factors such as slack head tube angle etc ?
    I like slack angle and the frame I'm going to build is slack indeed (Canfield One), but a mitigation factor for the lower offset would actually be a steeper angle.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ramjm_2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,125
    IMO it might be a very marginal difference. Ive got a Velvet 650b now, should have my Sweep this week if customs cooperates. I'll have a better feel after I have a few rides in.

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    And why are people claiming a 200g weight saving over a Vengeance when a Vengeance air HLR weights at 2254g vs the 2268g of the Metric (both listed weights, but seems to be close to real)?
    ...
    Not sure about 200g, but the X-Fusion website lists the Metric (air HLR) as lighter than the Vengeance (air HLR). It's just over 200g lighter than the Vengeance coil HLR (all claimed weights).

    Vengeance HLR - 2404g
    Vengeance Coil HLR - 2494g
    Metric HLR - 2268g

    The US/CAD price difference is only $100. How is the availability on the 26" version?

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Not sure about 200g, but the X-Fusion website lists the Metric (air HLR) as lighter than the Vengeance (air HLR). It's just over 200g lighter than the Vengeance coil HLR (all claimed weights).

    Vengeance HLR - 2404g
    Vengeance Coil HLR - 2494g
    Metric HLR - 2268g

    The US/CAD price difference is only $100. How is the availability on the 26" version?
    Right, but why compare the Metric (Air) with the Vengeance coil and ignore the Vengeance Air? It doesn't make sense.

    European RRP difference is circa 200 euro, but some slightly lower price can be find for a Vengeance.
    I don't know about the 26" Metric, never investigated.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Right, but why compare the Metric (Air) with the Vengeance coil and ignore the Vengeance Air? It doesn't make sense.

    European RRP difference is circa 200 euro, but some slightly lower price can be find for a Vengeance.
    I don't know about the 26" Metric, never investigated.
    I think people are just exaggerating the ~150g difference in the air vs air claimed weights, rather than comparing to the coil. It's still a decent weight saving if you're counting grams; I'd love to be able to drop that much on other components.

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    I think people are just exaggerating the ~150g difference in the air vs air claimed weights, rather than comparing to the coil. It's still a decent weight saving if you're counting grams; I'd love to be able to drop that much on other components.
    That's a good point, most european sites (X-Fusion german one included) list a 2254g weight for the Vengeance air HLR, while others (X-Fusion english one included) list them at 2404g as you quoted...

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    As for the offset:
    Vengeance: 41mm
    Metric 26": 42mm
    Metric 27.5: 46mm

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mountainbiker9109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    125
    Have had mine sitting around for a month now. Between weather here in New England and work I haven't had a chance to take it out for a ride.

    Weighed 5lb 1oz out of the box according to my scale.

    Also picked up a hilo sl dropper from them. Wish they stayed consistent with the stanchion colors. Did match fox kashima perfectly.

    Teaser shot:
    X-Fusion Metric-img_2084.jpg

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker9109 View Post
    ...
    Weighed 5lb 1oz out of the box according to my scale.
    ...
    Looks great! Love the Rune V2's, I wouldn't mind a Darkside as my next bike...

    Even with the full steerer that is damn close to listed weight (at 2296g after conversion).

  73. #73
    kneecap
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,560
    Did you weigh that hilo sl, I'm interested in one since I'm way pleased with my slant 160mm.

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51

    X-Fusion Metric

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker9109 View Post
    Have had mine sitting around for a month now. Between weather here in New England and work I haven't had a chance to take it out for a ride.

    Weighed 5lb 1oz out of the box according to my scale.

    Also picked up a hilo sl dropper from them. Wish they stayed consistent with the stanchion colors. Did match fox kashima perfectly.

    Teaser shot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2084.jpg 
Views:	1663 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	863953
    Love the magnesium colour with the Raw 👍, so you must be the first owner of the magnesium ones in the UK, I had the first black ones , really nice forks . Had mine adjusted to 160 for the Rune, so would be interested in your opinion on the handling at 180 as i might want to try that confuguration

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by dzdale View Post
    Love the magnesium colour with the Raw 👍, so you must be the first owner of the magnesium ones in the UK, I had the first black ones , really nice forks . Had mine adjusted to 160 for the Rune, so would be interested in your opinion on the handling at 180 as i might want to try that confuguration
    Where did you buy it in the UK? online or lbs?
    And is yours a 26er or a 650b one?

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51

    X-Fusion Metric

    Lbs, the distributor in the UK only has one type in stock , i suspect its 26". I am running them on 650b


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  77. #77
    kneecap
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,560
    dzdale,did you get a chance to weigh the hilo sl ?
    Thanks, I'm interested in one myself

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51

    X-Fusion Metric

    Kneecap, i dont have the hilo, sorry i was talking about the metric , didnt bother weighing it

  79. #79
    kneecap
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,560
    Thanks, I screwed that up, it was mountainbiker9109 who got the hilo. So.. I'll try this again,
    mountainbiker9109, did you weigh that seatpost?

  80. #80
    J:
    J: is offline
    no E: = : )
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,673

    Anyone get solid ride time on this?

    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Got my metric today. Looks good, graphics are bit ugly but I don't care about it.
    Couple more days and I can go for first test drive
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    taikuri, toothless or anyone else with a Metric:

    How are you finding the red rebound knobs? My rebound (new Metric, not yet ridden) seems a bit odd:

    Slowest setting is dead slow
    Second click is slower than I'd use
    Third click is a usable speed
    Clicks 5-17 (or however many clicks there are) are well into pogo territory.

    My Vector shock rebound is much more sensibly balanced. Neither are usable at the extremes of rebound, but there is a good middle ground of settings that I can use.

    Basically with the Metric there are only one or two clicks before rebound gets silly-fast.
    How do you like the axle type?
    ...

  81. #81
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    The fork is good, and it is certainly light, but I haven't had enough time on it to say more than that.

    The axle works, which is about all I can say for it. It's like an afterthought added on to an otherwise very nicely designed fork. The rest of the fork is slick, with elaborate machining.

    The axle uses two different hex sizes to undo, which means you have to fiddle with a multi-tool for an extra step. Not a big deal, but just using the 6mm for both bolts would have been more convenient.

    I find both the light and the DH Maxles to be much better thought out. The light Maxle is completely hand-operated, and the DH Maxle uses a 6mm hex for both ends, and has distinct clicks to guide how tight to screw down the locking mechanism.

    It's not a show stopper by and means, but it is slightly puzzling why XFusion chose this design. Reminds me of old Fox forks from pre-2009.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51

    X-Fusion Metric

    What wheelsize are u using Womble ?

  83. #83
    J:
    J: is offline
    no E: = : )
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,673

    If anyone has taken measurements..

    What's the A-C, actually what's the measurement from top of the axle to crown?
    ...

  84. #84
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    AC is listed on the XFusion site as 565 and 570. It's a 20mm axle so it'd be 565 or 570 minus the diameter of the axel (10mm) for the measurement you're looking for.

    I'm running 26".

  85. #85
    J:
    J: is offline
    no E: = : )
    Reputation: J:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,673
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    AC is listed on the XFusion site as 565 and 570. It's a 20mm axle so it'd be 565 or 570 minus the diameter of the axel (10mm) for the measurement you're looking for.

    I'm running 26".
    Thanks womble, yeah was saying top of the axle just cause it's easier/more accurate tape measurement vs someone trying to eyeball the axle center

    Reason I was asking is cause I was able to measure travel on one at a hair over 187mm, but wasn't able to pull the wheel to measure actual AC

    Agree, machining is slick.. almost makes the fork look bigger
    ...

  86. #86
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    I'll try to remember to measure it then. I really didn't have any reason to doubt or worry about the official specs. Agreed that the machining makes it look pretty chunky. Both finishes are above average- the chromed version looks very industrial and the black version has an interesting rough texture to it. Either looks much better with the stars on the carbon guards blacked out.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    Did the 650b actually show up?

    Did someone get it or see it available in stock somewhere?

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Did the 650b actually show up?

    Did someone get it or see it available in stock somewhere?
    Bump!

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Calhoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2,043
    I am waiting for these to hit BTI. They have been listed for a while now but always out of stock.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

    -cabra cadabra

  90. #90
    yet another stupid german
    Reputation: raschaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    274
    little update to my Nicolai Ion16...





    unfortunately no ride time on it yet... what caught me a bit offguard was the PM7 brake mounts...

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation: savo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    779
    I wrote to two different address at X-Fusion Shox about the 650b Metric and got answer from two persons who possibly share the same office (both in SC):
    They confirmed that the 650b version is not available yet, but one claims that "We should see some by the end of this month", while the other said it "will not become available for at least 3 months"...

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51

    Motion Pro , Micro Bleeders ???

    Hey , does anyone know exactly which model of the motion pro micro bleeders fit the Nuetra valves on the Metric ? I'm looking at getting some.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: windv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    26
    Has anybody experienced creaking sounds on their metrics from crown/stanchions area, like on the x-fusion vengeance ?

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Hi , Yes I'm getting creaking , thought it was my headset so reset it. Still seems to creak a little , not to bothered about it though. The forks perform brilliantly

  95. #95
    Inrideo est vita
    Reputation: SSteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    782
    Quote Originally Posted by dzdale View Post
    Hey , does anyone know exactly which model of the motion pro micro bleeders fit the Nuetra valves on the Metric ? I'm looking at getting some.
    They are the "11-0081 (Orange) M4x0.7 for KTM"
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    337

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dzdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    51
    Hey SSteel, many thanks for your response.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    little update to my Nicolai Ion16...





    unfortunately no ride time on it yet... what caught me a bit offguard was the PM7 brake mounts...
    Nice bike!!

    I'm about to order this fork, and was shopping for the correct brake mount adaptor. As usual the manufacturer doesn't seem to specifiy this
    I have a post mount adaptor for a 203mm disc from my Rockshox Relevation 29 that I want to use on this fork, but I don't know if it is PM5, 6, 7 or 8. How do I find out? And if it isn't PM7, where do I find the correct adaptor? All (online) shops that sell brake adapters don't even seem to specify the PM*, only for which size disc it is meant.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cerebroside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    938
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    Nice bike!!

    I'm about to order this fork, and was shopping for the correct brake mount adaptor. As usual the manufacturer doesn't seem to specifiy this
    I have a post mount adaptor for a 203mm disc from my Rockshox Relevation 29 that I want to use on this fork, but I don't know if it is PM5, 6, 7 or 8. How do I find out? And if it isn't PM7, where do I find the correct adaptor? All (online) shops that sell brake adapters don't even seem to specify the PM*, only for which size disc it is meant.
    I got a 203 mm adapter in the box with mine, so no need to buy one.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dfuse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    348
    Oh ok, I'll check that with the seller, thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Metric hole saw
    By TimT in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 05:49 AM
  2. Question about set up for my first metric century
    By Jaunty_Joe in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
  3. Gravel Metric V3
    By Hand/of/Midas in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2012, 02:36 PM
  4. metric VS. SAE
    By customfab in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-23-2011, 10:49 PM
  5. Gravel Metric Illinois
    By Hand/of/Midas in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 05:47 PM

Members who have read this thread: 55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •