Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: X-Fusion Metric

mtbr member
    So no, the seller says there is no adapter included. Any tips where I could find one? I order everything at bike-components.de, if I look here: Adapter | Fahrrad Bremsen Zubehr - bike-components, I don't see any PM7 adapters.

yet another stupid german

mtbr member
    Thanks, but that one is only for 160/180 discs, I need one for 203mm.
    Will this work? Shimano Scheibenbremsadapter fr 203mm Scheibe gnstig online kaufen - bike-components
    The PM-PM VR (front) one.

nope, that one is PM +40

check these

Formula HR 7" Postmount 203mm: FD40154-10

oder von BFO - PM7-Gabel/Rahmen für Scheibe 203

but the aformentioned Trickstuff adapter will probably work as well. the difference in radius between 200 and 203 is just 1.5mm, in the worst case you would have to put a standard washer under the caliper. in my case it worked fine with a standard +20 adapter with my Formula the one.

mtbr member
    I don't understand anything about this stuff
    How do you know that the Shimano one is PM +40? What does that even mean!?
    And how do you know the Metric needs the PM +20 adapter?
    The little I can find on the internet is that PM is always 73mm between the two holes, so I don't understand why there are different kinds of PM adapters needed?
    The trickstuff adapter is for 160/180, not for 200, wouldn't that be too big a jump for 203?

Anyways, I'll probably buy one of the two you now mentioned

mtbr member
    if the fork has a PM mount for a 180mm rotor and you want an adapter for a 200mm you need a PM +20... it's the same adapter you can use for a 180mm rotor in a PM 160mm mount.

mtbr member
    A-ha, I found this somewhere on the net:
    PM7 is post mount 7". This means the fork/frame will have the caliper fitted directly for 180mm rotor. It requires an adaptor for 203, but cannot fit a 160 or 140mm rotor.
    Now I understand why I would need a PM +20 mount. But still, I think it's very confusing that the fork manufacter doesn't list this anywhere. Couldn't find it at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    So no, the seller says there is no adapter included. ...
    Interesting. Got mine through a local shop, pretty sure RCS in B.C. was the distributor (SSteel who posted in the thread earlier.) Got additional guard stickers, star nut, brake adapter, and an X-fusion branded shock pump.

Edit: All of that was hidden in the box under the cardboard the fork sits on, so maybe they didn't see it, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    A-ha, I found this somewhere on the net:

Now I understand why I would need a PM +20 mount. But still, I think it's very confusing that the fork manufacter doesn't list this anywhere. Couldn't find it at least.
    not confusing at all...

if you have a fork with PM6 mounts and want to fit a 8" disc you go +40, if the fork has PM7 mounts and you want to fit a 8" disc you go +20, fork with PM8 needs no adapter for 8" disc (as Totem or new Suntour Rux)

PM6 = 160mm disc
    PM7 = 180mm disc
    PM8 = 200/203mm disc

@cerebroside

seeing that dfuse is posting links to a german shop I figure he is in Germany (as I am ^^). The Metric is not to be had here officially and I got mine via "dark channels" there were no accessories whatsoever in the box (except for the stickers...) probably they spec them differently for europe?

dfuse, where are you buying your Metric?

mtbr member
    Anyone else had trouble with the brake hose clamp on their Metric? Smashed mine into three pieces on my first ride/crash on them.

Had a minor crash, bars spun, pulled on the brake hose, and snapped it. It was a bit of a pain to install too, would be easier if the plastic was softer.
    Tried to epoxy it back together, but no go. Hose position puts too much force on it. Guess I'll have to see if they stock replacements.

Really like the forks otherwise.
    Last edited by cerebroside; 05-06-2014 at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    not confusing at all...

if you have a fork with PM6 mounts and want to fit a 8" disc you go +40, if the fork has PM7 mounts and you want to fit a 8" disc you go +20, fork with PM8 needs no adapter for 8" disc (as Totem or new Suntour Rux)

PM6 = 160mm disc
    PM7 = 180mm disc
    PM8 = 200/203mm disc

@cerebroside

seeing that dfuse is posting links to a german shop I figure he is in Germany (as I am ^^). The Metric is not to be had here officially and I got mine via "dark channels" there were no accessories whatsoever in the box (except for the stickers...) probably they spec them differently for europe?

dfuse, where are you buying your Metric?
    I rather meant it is annoying that the manufacturer doesn't specify that the fork is PM7. It's by accident that I read it here in this thread.

I don't live in Germany, but in Belgium bike-components.de is the cheapest store that I know so that's why I order there I'm ordering my Metric with bikesuspension.nl, in the Netherlands. They are exclusive dealer for the Benelux (Belgium-Netherlands-Luxemburg) region. Indeed they also say that only the stickers are included. But I also get a 10% discount so hey

The clamp is a POS... I couldn't even fit it with the Formula hose so I just cut off the rear part with some cutters. will probably just make one out of aluminum sooner or later...

OK, dfuse, so we're neighbors
    I order a lot at bike-components as well, good shop, good prices. does bikesuspension already have Metrics in stock? German distributor has none... but they have excellent prices on the x-fusion stuff they do have in stock, on the average 100 euros below everybody else... (reset-racing.de)

mtbr member
    The Metrics just came in again they told me, but only the chrome ones. I wanted a black one but wait time was a few months!! They aren't listed on the webshop either, I had to mail them for it. They ask 1075€ for it, but during the month May they give 10% discount on all forks in stock, so I waited a few days before ordering
    Thanks for the tip on reset-racing, I always prefer shopping on German shops as tax is lower than in Belgium

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've seen both in person- the chrome ones look really good in real life. I ended up choosing chrome even though I initially thought it'd look tacky just based on the word and internet photos.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    I really prefered the black to go with my orange Darkside (which I also prefered black but couldn't get either), but hey, maybe I'll like it better once I see it. Most important thing is it performs good.

mtbr member
    So, turns out there was a brake adapter included after all:
    X-Fusion Metric-imag0427.jpg

mtbr member
    I emailed Xfusion today asking about availability of the 27.5 metric, this is the response I got:

We have’t produced any yet and I can’t speculate when we will. At this point we will likely have them for next season.

Demand has been low so we have’t pulled the trigger on that crown yet.

Clarke

So the metrics that are out there have the crown for the 26" with a 42mm offset. I don't know how much difference the 46mm offset makes with the 27.5 wheels but I'm surprised they aren't making them yet.

mtbr member
    I guess people don't care about 4 mm? That or everyone is putting theirs on park/freeride bikes.

Ow!
    Well, I am in the market for a non-Marz 180mm (just to try something different). This has me interested. Found some Metrics at Universal Cycles for 949-15%. Seems they have quite a few.

Still a bit high for me--I usually get items for much, much less than MSRP. May have to wait for a few years until they are on sale or on ebay. They certainly look tasty.

X-Fusion just isn't in the market enough (especially oem) to make aftermarket prices drop to RS levels. There is just so much oem stuff being thrown on the aftermarket (especially RS here in europe) that it is nigh impossible for other manufacturers to compete price wise. By MSRP alone they are competitive, but the big names seem to have no interest in not having oem-parts flooding the aftermarket. Why should they? The sales numbers seem to justify that approach...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I contacted 2 x-fusion distributors with regards to the 27.5" version and both errrred on giving me the response you received. They did however say that the current Metric model they had would fit a 27.5" wheel. I replied to each quoting the offset crown discrepancies, neither has chosen to followup with a reply. Quite disappointed that they weren't forthcoming with the info from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    I emailed Xfusion today asking about availability of the 27.5 metric, this is the response I got:

We have’t produced any yet and I can’t speculate when we will. At this point we will likely have them for next season.

Demand has been low so we have’t pulled the trigger on that crown yet.

Clarke

So the metrics that are out there have the crown for the 26" with a 42mm offset. I don't know how much difference the 46mm offset makes with the 27.5 wheels but I'm surprised they aren't making them yet.

I like beer.
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachem6 View Post
    Does anybody know where to get the Metric? I've looked online to see if any of the online bike shops have them, but haven't seen any yet. And, how much $ are they going for? I would really like one for my 2011 Kona Coilair. I just converted it to 27.5, but it's a little tight in the Lyric.
    are you sold on a metric?

you can probably find a vengeance for a good deal if you know where to look.. i bought mine for under 300 bones a month ago and my buddy bought his 2-3 months ago for 220. i believe aside from the lowers, there is very little difference.

still has the same damper/cart as the new forks, which is really good. i am not a fan of the new lowers.

mtbr member
    As I can't see it in person before buying: how would the Smoked Chrome color match with the common silver ano (say the Thomson silver ano)? If it's a good match i could go with the chrome, but I'm thinking the black matte would be better (I've a black ano frame with silver ano links and components). Thanks

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

I say black as its a matt finish and will go well with your frame , heres mine

mtbr member
    Looks nice! Unfortunately the black seems hard to get

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    As a follow up - other than the fork carbon covers and the neutra valves - is there really any reason to get the metric? Comparatively they feature the same damping system, with virtually the same weight but the vengeance can be had at happily £200 cheaper (here in the UK) and has a quick release axle. The clearance for 27.5 is the same, and there is 1mm in offset.

Any thoughts people?

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

The clearance on the metric is definitely more than that of the vengeance, i tried a vengeance for sizing before I purchased the metric with 27.5 schwalbe hd 2.35 and it was sketchy. I have ample clearance with the Metric. The nuetra valves are a nice to have but imho not nessesary, i have micro bleeders fitted to mine which are pretty cool but again not necessary. The piston moves with a ball joint to aid for slicker movement when bending forces are applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    not to mention that the vengeance is going to be discontinued

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ah shucks, didnt know about the clearance - a real issue for me, as the whole point about getting a bigger fork than say, a pike/350/mattoc is of course doing gnarly stuff and the bigger tyres that you use for it! Metric it is

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Good choice 👍, youll be pleased and youll at least not look like everyone else with black stanchions 😜

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegnarlycenturion View Post
    Ah shucks, didnt know about the clearance - a real issue for me, as the whole point about getting a bigger fork than say, a pike/350/mattoc is of course doing gnarly stuff and the bigger tyres that you use for it! Metric it is
    Not that I would try and talk you out of a metric, but I have some 2.4" Conti Trail kings on my vengeance and have plenty of room.

X-Fusion Metric-img_20140705_154546533_hdr.jpg

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Not that I would try and talk you out of a metric, but I have some 2.4" Conti Trail kings on my vengeance and have plenty of room.
    There are tires that have only minimal clearance in the Vengeance though.

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Yeah my schwalbes had even less , but i really tried to convince myself to keep the fork as it was the coil, eventually went for the Metric , 1) after judging how awesome the vengeance is , i couldnt go wrong with the Metric.
    2) i felt more comfortablewith the bigger clearance that the Metric offers
    3) i was liking the idea of being a guinea pig , and owning the first one in the Uk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Haha - thanks for the devils advocate going on! As it happens I have some sweet derby rims, so I'd rather not take any chances + hoping to race a bit of DH (Sadly I havent found anywhere that sells bigger balls, so we'll see) and would want to go dualply/2.5 upfront.

I presume the stoke is for the air metric dzdale?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Does X Fusion incl. the motion pro release valves when the fork is bought new? Mine came with the extra lowers guard stickers, a starnut and brake adapter, high pressure air pump...

But no motion pro release valves..was it supposed to come with the fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irban_bike View Post
    Does X Fusion incl. the motion pro release valves when the fork is bought new? Mine came with the extra lowers guard stickers, a starnut and brake adapter, high pressure air pump...

But no motion pro release valves..was it supposed to come with the fork?
    Nope, sold separately.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do you think we could fit a coil into the metric? The one that the RV1 has??

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that a Fox 36 spring might fit. I checked if an older 36 160mm spring would fit a vengeance and IIRC it matched up pretty good with the original vengeance spring...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    But, I guess I have to change the cartridge to fit a coil... I don't know if thats possible.

Another question, does anyone of you use the micro bleeders?? I've just bought them and I will get them today, but I really don't know if it is a waste of money or if they will really help to keep the fork working perfect in every environment.

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Micro bleeders im sure do the job , especially if there are big fluctuations in altitude , temperature etc. i ride in the uk so dont experience those kind of fluctuations for the most part, ive never actually heard the air release . They do look cool though

maybe the vengeance coil internals can be adapted to fit in the metric. If I get around to it I could have a look, because I still have my Vengeance coil that I replaced with the Metric.

I just use the grub screws every now and then. They do work, there's always some pressure in there, I just turn them until I hear the "pfffffft" and tighten them up again. Maybe every 4-6 rides. I personally don't see the necessity of having the bleeders, unless maybe you ride alot at differing altitudes or in Parks with massive altitude differences.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got the micro bleeders with me. So I will try them today.

I live in Madrid, so -10 degrees on the mountain during winter and 35 during the summer. And altitude changing from 700m (the beggining of te track) up to 2100m. I hope they do feel useful. Not very expensive, but I hate to waste money.

Raschaa... which fork you like better.. Vengeance or Metric?

That's a tough question... they're both really good forks and the HLR cartridge runs with the best of them (IMO) anyway. The Metric just works better in my frame (Nicolai Ion16) than the Vengeance because of the lower A2C. The Vengeance was coil sprung and really, really plush but the air spring in the Metric is at least as good as the Solo-Air Lyrik I ran before. The Metric was a bit "divey" in the midstroke but 15ml of extra oil in the air chamber alleviated that nicely (@160mm).

I haven't tried the 180mm setting, that would probably turn my bike into a light DHler...

My Vengeance did develop a light creak at the crown/stanchion interface but nothing really disconcerting. If the Vengeance fits your bill and your bike then there's no reason not to pick one up, especially considering the price advantage in comparison to a Metric...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I already have the Metric... I was just thinking on going back to coil (i used to have a Van 36 RC2 and a Marzocchi 55 RC3 EVO2). That's why of this question.

And please.. help me once more.

Which oil should I use to service the metric? I can't find that info. SAE and characteristics.. please

Thankyou very much.

I personally see no reason to change the Metric to coil, it's a superb fork as it is....

I have no idea which Oil is in the HLR cartridge because I have not needed a service there yet. I would most likely put my standard Silkolene 2.5wt in, which I use for pretty much all shocks and forks... For the lowers I use motor oil because its there for lubrication and not damping... fork oil is excellent for damping purposes (duh!) but not as a lube. I put ~20ml in each side.

look here
    Metric / Vengeance Lowers Service on Vimeo

OH, a little "tip". In between services I put 3-4ml of motor oil in a syringe and inject that into the bleed ports via an old magura brake bleeding adapter which fits into the bleeding ports perfectly

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thankyou very much raschaa. I am not going to touch the HLR cartridge because I have never touched it and I can´t find any guide on how to do it. I am just changing the lowers oil and I was wondering if that oil matters for damping.

Something else. I have lower pressure on the Metric than it is advised, and also LRC and HRC to the minimun. It is impossible for me to get full travel of the fork. There is always like 30mm (it is working at 160mm) left for bottoming out. Are you able to make use of the full travel??

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Nightjjr, mine behaves exactly the same. It doesnt matter about running the forks at a lower air pressure as long as the correct SAG is maintained. My lsc is running at about 3 clicks in and the hsp at about 5 clicks in . Still baffles me as to why there are so many clicks which seem unusable

mtbr member
    May 2011
    dzdale, and can you get full travel with those settings?? I can´t at all...

I'm running mine @25% sag (don't know the pressure off the top of my head) I weigh 80kg +/-, 4 clicks LSC, 6 clicks HSC and have had the o-ring up to about 5-6mm from the crown.

Have you tried removing the air valve core and then seeing how much travel you get?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I run 25-30% sag, 0LSC and 0HSC and get up to about 2-3 cm from the crown.

If I remove all the air, I can get the full travel (4-5mm to crown), but I think it won't be a good idea to use it that way :P

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast