Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: X-Fusion Metric

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Thats what i was told by x-fusion dudes, lowers are the same, enough clearance for 27,5. My friend has older 26" vengeance and he is using it with 27,5" wheel.
    That was my concern as well if there is better clearance for 27,5" but no, its the same for both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please five us a reveiw when ya can, also love to hear what you think of it compared to your freinds Venegence (depending on what year it is and if air or coil) Im running a 13 Veng HLR air which is the best fork Ive ever run, it kills anything on the market Ive tired or owned. Also wanted a Metric but couldnt wait.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    What's the msrp difference btw?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuri View Post
    Thats what i was told by x-fusion dudes, lowers are the same, enough clearance for 27,5. My friend has older 26" vengeance and he is using it with 27,5" wheel.
    That was my concern as well if there is better clearance for 27,5" but no, its the same for both
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    The vengeance was always a 27.5" fork. According to their website the 27.5" metric has 5mm longer a2c besides the offset change.
    I read that the 26" and 27.5" share the same lowers, too.

I think the 27.5" upper adds that 4mm offset AND that 5mm height to give a better crown clearance at full compression.

The Vengeance as I see it is a 26" fork with a 27.5 clearance, as the offset is 26"-like

mtbr member
    Tapered steerers might be an especially incremental upgrade, but it adds up. Long travel bikes are a lot lighter than they used to be.

Edit: VVVV S/He means using a 1.125 steerer in a 1.5 headtube to get more head angle adjustment with an angleset. You can get up to 3 degrees with that setup, but only 1.5 with tapered IIRC.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannedaroo View Post
    I could have gotten a Metric and would have liked the additional offset, but totally disappointed that it only comes in tapered steerer. I'm all about 1.5 HT's and 1.125" steer tubes for HA adjustment. The industry is backing itself into a corner with some of these "standards," IMO.
    How? How many frames can you name that are designed to use a 180mm fork made in the last few of years have a straight 1.125" headtube? Why, as a company would you manufacture a completely separate csu just to sell to a very small market of people with 5+ year old frames?

mtbr member
    Tapered headtubes are a stiffer interface than a 1.125. That is part of the reason customers/manufacturers have moved on to tapered.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannedaroo View Post
    lol, my 5+ year old frames suit me fine.
    No one said it didn't

I understand it from a profitability standpoint, but that does not mean that it's completely logical as a consumer.
    Phasing out outdated stuff generally doesn't make people who don't want to adapt happy.

Tapered headtubes don't appeal to me in the least.
    They don't need to appeal to you as a feature. I could care less about tapered as well.

I'd rather have the benefit of adjustment than worry about a lb in weight savings.
    These two items are independent.

Speaking of being logical, I don't find your thoughts on this logical personally. Pretty much any 5+ year old frame is going to be a cheap $500ish purchase used. Why would you spend $900-1000 on a new fork that's 50% or more of the value of your entire 2008 bike? You'd be far better off selling your frame, spending $1000 on a nice used frame and using the money from the original frame to buy that fork used. A year after it's release you'll find it for 50% value easily. Assuming you buy quality used then you just got a new gen fork and frame for what you had into your old gen frame and new fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    ...These two items are independent...
    If the larger interface is stronger, you should be able to make the frame/fork lighter by using less material while maintaining the same strength. No idea how that works out in the real world, I agree with your other points.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    If the larger interface is stronger, you should be able to make the frame/fork lighter by using less material while maintaining the same strength. No idea how that works out in the real world, I agree with your other points.
    He mentioned benefit of adjustment compared to saving weight. I'm assuming he meant a better damper/features compared to new chassis design. The two are independent obviously unless he meant something else for adjustment.

mtbr member
    I edited my post above to explain:

Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    ...using a 1.125 steerer in a 1.5 headtube to get more head angle adjustment with an angleset. You can get up to 3 degrees with that setup, but only 1.5 with tapered IIRC.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Can we ditch the logical pissing contest for a ride report from taikuri?

I'm much more interested in how the Metric rides compared to other forks than a rehash of arguments of tapered vs straight or discussions about bike depreciation.

I've seen one Metric on the trails so far but the LBS has run out of them again. Looks like a great potential dual-crown replacement.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by womble View Post
    I'm much more interested in how the Metric rides compared to other forks than a rehash of arguments of tapered vs straight or discussions about bike depreciation.
    Have you ever ridden a vengeance? This fork is a couple hundred grams lighter, has 10mm more travel, the same damper and a slightly improved air spring. It should ride almost identical to a vengeance. It even has a shorter a2c than the vengeance in 26". Did you have some concerns about it?

Mtb Guide
    It also has ITA so its not limited to a dual crown replacement, its also a hardcore Enduro fork, ya can keep ya 34 mm POS, I run a 13 Vengeance now and its the best damped fork Ive ridden, ridden all the 13 stuff except the BOS Deville, which is definitely not as stiff as a Vengeance, bring on the review of the Metric, yeahaa

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Bought one today for my banshee rune, ive had it adjusted to 160 to start with , cant wait to ride this fork

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Will give a short review in a few weeks time

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Does anybody know where to get the Metric? I've looked online to see if any of the online bike shops have them, but haven't seen any yet. And, how much $ are they going for? I would really like one for my 2011 Kona Coilair. I just converted it to 27.5, but it's a little tight in the Lyric.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I bought it directly from X-fusion from US. i paid 999USD

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Cool, thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachem6 View Post
    Does anybody know where to get the Metric? I've looked online to see if any of the online bike shops have them, but haven't seen any yet. And, how much $ are they going for? I would really like one for my 2011 Kona Coilair. I just converted it to 27.5, but it's a little tight in the Lyric.
    They didn't have the 650b offset when I called..

What's up with the damper on these, I've seen no tear down/service instructions like the Veng damper had (can't find those vids anymore either)?? Love to hear if stiffness compares to the 180mm fox or the 66

mtbr member
    they dont have the 27.5 offset in the UK either , Ive bought the version in stock which i believe to be a 26 version and will be running it on 27.5, checked the clearance las night with stans flow /hans dampf 2.35 / 27.5 and its about 10mm on the arch and at bottom out its 15mm on the crown , so plenty there. Not sure if the offset will make a huge difference in handling . the headangle on the banshee rune is pretty slack anyway which should make up for that ,

opinions please ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Have had a couple rides on my Metric and so far really impressed! I think it is actually very light for a 180mm travel fork, certainly saved some pounds over the 66 it replaced. Got mine from Renegade Cycle Solutions here in Canada and the service was top notch. Comes with a proprietary brake adaptor from 180mm post mount to 200mm. Was told the 42mm offset Metric will work with 27.5 with no modifications and on my Canfield One with a 65 degree head angle I didn't think I needed the 46mm offset. The damping is pretty stellar, easy to find a good setup on the first ride and provided great balance with the CCDB Air it is paired with. The reduction in unsprung weight from my old fork (66 RC2X) is quite noticeable and quickly calmed all fears about going with air over coil for me. First tapered steerer fork I've had also and the improvement in tracking was a real eye opener for me. Less hand fatigue on a long downhill day had me marvelling at the stiffness for the weight the Metric comes in at. Still dialling in settings over the winter and will try out 27.5 in the front next year. Agree with an earlier poster about the graphics but a sharpie murdered mine out all quick like. Cheers!

mtbr member
    Has anyone weighed their new Metric? I know claimed weight is 2200 but I saw this pic online where they weighed one at 4.14 lbs/1878 grams

New Prototype X-Fusion Sweep 27.5/650B Fork and 180mm Metric and RV1 DH Fork Weighed

May have been lighter since it was a prototype.

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Has anyone weighed their new Metric? I know claimed weight is 2200 but I saw this pic online where they weighed one at 4.14 lbs/1878 grams

New Prototype X-Fusion Sweep 27.5/650B Fork and 180mm Metric and RV1 DH Fork Weighed

May have been lighter since it was a prototype.
    4 lbs 14 oz is 2.21 kg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya View Post
    4 lbs 14 oz is 2.21 kg
    Yep you're right. I looked at 2 different convertors that said 1877 but did the math myself and get 2207. Can't even trust the internet now,,,

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Yep you're right. I looked at 2 different convertors that said 1877 but did the math myself and get 2207. Can't even trust the internet now,,,
    It works when you use the correct units with the correct converters (like this one)

You are converting 4.14lbs -> 1.88kg

You should be converting 4lb 14oz to get 2.21kg.

Got to love the Imperial units system. Not

Looking forward to some more Metric reviews though. And actual fork availability...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast