Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Fusion Metric

mtbr member
    So no, the seller says there is no adapter included. Any tips where I could find one? I order everything at bike-components.de, if I look here: Adapter | Fahrrad Bremsen Zubehr - bike-components, I don't see any PM7 adapters.

yet another stupid german

mtbr member
    Thanks, but that one is only for 160/180 discs, I need one for 203mm.
    Will this work? Shimano Scheibenbremsadapter fr 203mm Scheibe gnstig online kaufen - bike-components
    The PM-PM VR (front) one.

nope, that one is PM +40

check these

Formula HR 7" Postmount 203mm: FD40154-10

oder von BFO - PM7-Gabel/Rahmen für Scheibe 203

but the aformentioned Trickstuff adapter will probably work as well. the difference in radius between 200 and 203 is just 1.5mm, in the worst case you would have to put a standard washer under the caliper. in my case it worked fine with a standard +20 adapter with my Formula the one.

mtbr member
    I don't understand anything about this stuff
    How do you know that the Shimano one is PM +40? What does that even mean!?
    And how do you know the Metric needs the PM +20 adapter?
    The little I can find on the internet is that PM is always 73mm between the two holes, so I don't understand why there are different kinds of PM adapters needed?
    The trickstuff adapter is for 160/180, not for 200, wouldn't that be too big a jump for 203?

Anyways, I'll probably buy one of the two you now mentioned

mtbr member
    if the fork has a PM mount for a 180mm rotor and you want an adapter for a 200mm you need a PM +20... it's the same adapter you can use for a 180mm rotor in a PM 160mm mount.

mtbr member
    A-ha, I found this somewhere on the net:
    PM7 is post mount 7". This means the fork/frame will have the caliper fitted directly for 180mm rotor. It requires an adaptor for 203, but cannot fit a 160 or 140mm rotor.
    Now I understand why I would need a PM +20 mount. But still, I think it's very confusing that the fork manufacter doesn't list this anywhere. Couldn't find it at least.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    So no, the seller says there is no adapter included. ...
    Interesting. Got mine through a local shop, pretty sure RCS in B.C. was the distributor (SSteel who posted in the thread earlier.) Got additional guard stickers, star nut, brake adapter, and an X-fusion branded shock pump.

Edit: All of that was hidden in the box under the cardboard the fork sits on, so maybe they didn't see it, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by dfuse View Post
    A-ha, I found this somewhere on the net:

Now I understand why I would need a PM +20 mount. But still, I think it's very confusing that the fork manufacter doesn't list this anywhere. Couldn't find it at least.
    not confusing at all...

if you have a fork with PM6 mounts and want to fit a 8" disc you go +40, if the fork has PM7 mounts and you want to fit a 8" disc you go +20, fork with PM8 needs no adapter for 8" disc (as Totem or new Suntour Rux)

PM6 = 160mm disc
    PM7 = 180mm disc
    PM8 = 200/203mm disc

@cerebroside

seeing that dfuse is posting links to a german shop I figure he is in Germany (as I am ^^). The Metric is not to be had here officially and I got mine via "dark channels" there were no accessories whatsoever in the box (except for the stickers...) probably they spec them differently for europe?

dfuse, where are you buying your Metric?

mtbr member
    Anyone else had trouble with the brake hose clamp on their Metric? Smashed mine into three pieces on my first ride/crash on them.

Had a minor crash, bars spun, pulled on the brake hose, and snapped it. It was a bit of a pain to install too, would be easier if the plastic was softer.
    Tried to epoxy it back together, but no go. Hose position puts too much force on it. Guess I'll have to see if they stock replacements.

Really like the forks otherwise.
    Last edited by cerebroside; 05-06-2014 at 10:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raschaa View Post
    not confusing at all...

if you have a fork with PM6 mounts and want to fit a 8" disc you go +40, if the fork has PM7 mounts and you want to fit a 8" disc you go +20, fork with PM8 needs no adapter for 8" disc (as Totem or new Suntour Rux)

PM6 = 160mm disc
    PM7 = 180mm disc
    PM8 = 200/203mm disc

@cerebroside

seeing that dfuse is posting links to a german shop I figure he is in Germany (as I am ^^). The Metric is not to be had here officially and I got mine via "dark channels" there were no accessories whatsoever in the box (except for the stickers...) probably they spec them differently for europe?

dfuse, where are you buying your Metric?
    I rather meant it is annoying that the manufacturer doesn't specify that the fork is PM7. It's by accident that I read it here in this thread.

I don't live in Germany, but in Belgium bike-components.de is the cheapest store that I know so that's why I order there I'm ordering my Metric with bikesuspension.nl, in the Netherlands. They are exclusive dealer for the Benelux (Belgium-Netherlands-Luxemburg) region. Indeed they also say that only the stickers are included. But I also get a 10% discount so hey

The clamp is a POS... I couldn't even fit it with the Formula hose so I just cut off the rear part with some cutters. will probably just make one out of aluminum sooner or later...

OK, dfuse, so we're neighbors
    I order a lot at bike-components as well, good shop, good prices. does bikesuspension already have Metrics in stock? German distributor has none... but they have excellent prices on the x-fusion stuff they do have in stock, on the average 100 euros below everybody else... (reset-racing.de)

mtbr member
    The Metrics just came in again they told me, but only the chrome ones. I wanted a black one but wait time was a few months!! They aren't listed on the webshop either, I had to mail them for it. They ask 1075€ for it, but during the month May they give 10% discount on all forks in stock, so I waited a few days before ordering
    Thanks for the tip on reset-racing, I always prefer shopping on German shops as tax is lower than in Belgium

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've seen both in person- the chrome ones look really good in real life. I ended up choosing chrome even though I initially thought it'd look tacky just based on the word and internet photos.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    I really prefered the black to go with my orange Darkside (which I also prefered black but couldn't get either), but hey, maybe I'll like it better once I see it. Most important thing is it performs good.

mtbr member
    So, turns out there was a brake adapter included after all:
    X-Fusion Metric-imag0427.jpg

mtbr member
    I emailed Xfusion today asking about availability of the 27.5 metric, this is the response I got:

We have’t produced any yet and I can’t speculate when we will. At this point we will likely have them for next season.

Demand has been low so we have’t pulled the trigger on that crown yet.

Clarke

So the metrics that are out there have the crown for the 26" with a 42mm offset. I don't know how much difference the 46mm offset makes with the 27.5 wheels but I'm surprised they aren't making them yet.

mtbr member
    I guess people don't care about 4 mm? That or everyone is putting theirs on park/freeride bikes.

Ow!
    Well, I am in the market for a non-Marz 180mm (just to try something different). This has me interested. Found some Metrics at Universal Cycles for 949-15%. Seems they have quite a few.

Still a bit high for me--I usually get items for much, much less than MSRP. May have to wait for a few years until they are on sale or on ebay. They certainly look tasty.

X-Fusion just isn't in the market enough (especially oem) to make aftermarket prices drop to RS levels. There is just so much oem stuff being thrown on the aftermarket (especially RS here in europe) that it is nigh impossible for other manufacturers to compete price wise. By MSRP alone they are competitive, but the big names seem to have no interest in not having oem-parts flooding the aftermarket. Why should they? The sales numbers seem to justify that approach...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I contacted 2 x-fusion distributors with regards to the 27.5" version and both errrred on giving me the response you received. They did however say that the current Metric model they had would fit a 27.5" wheel. I replied to each quoting the offset crown discrepancies, neither has chosen to followup with a reply. Quite disappointed that they weren't forthcoming with the info from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    I emailed Xfusion today asking about availability of the 27.5 metric, this is the response I got:

We have’t produced any yet and I can’t speculate when we will. At this point we will likely have them for next season.

Demand has been low so we have’t pulled the trigger on that crown yet.

Clarke

So the metrics that are out there have the crown for the 26" with a 42mm offset. I don't know how much difference the 46mm offset makes with the 27.5 wheels but I'm surprised they aren't making them yet.

I like beer.
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sachem6 View Post
    Does anybody know where to get the Metric? I've looked online to see if any of the online bike shops have them, but haven't seen any yet. And, how much $ are they going for? I would really like one for my 2011 Kona Coilair. I just converted it to 27.5, but it's a little tight in the Lyric.
    are you sold on a metric?

you can probably find a vengeance for a good deal if you know where to look.. i bought mine for under 300 bones a month ago and my buddy bought his 2-3 months ago for 220. i believe aside from the lowers, there is very little difference.

still has the same damper/cart as the new forks, which is really good. i am not a fan of the new lowers.

mtbr member
    As I can't see it in person before buying: how would the Smoked Chrome color match with the common silver ano (say the Thomson silver ano)? If it's a good match i could go with the chrome, but I'm thinking the black matte would be better (I've a black ano frame with silver ano links and components). Thanks

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

I say black as its a matt finish and will go well with your frame , heres mine

mtbr member
    Looks nice! Unfortunately the black seems hard to get

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    As a follow up - other than the fork carbon covers and the neutra valves - is there really any reason to get the metric? Comparatively they feature the same damping system, with virtually the same weight but the vengeance can be had at happily £200 cheaper (here in the UK) and has a quick release axle. The clearance for 27.5 is the same, and there is 1mm in offset.

Any thoughts people?

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

The clearance on the metric is definitely more than that of the vengeance, i tried a vengeance for sizing before I purchased the metric with 27.5 schwalbe hd 2.35 and it was sketchy. I have ample clearance with the Metric. The nuetra valves are a nice to have but imho not nessesary, i have micro bleeders fitted to mine which are pretty cool but again not necessary. The piston moves with a ball joint to aid for slicker movement when bending forces are applied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    not to mention that the vengeance is going to be discontinued

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ah shucks, didnt know about the clearance - a real issue for me, as the whole point about getting a bigger fork than say, a pike/350/mattoc is of course doing gnarly stuff and the bigger tyres that you use for it! Metric it is

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Good choice 👍, youll be pleased and youll at least not look like everyone else with black stanchions 😜

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegnarlycenturion View Post
    Ah shucks, didnt know about the clearance - a real issue for me, as the whole point about getting a bigger fork than say, a pike/350/mattoc is of course doing gnarly stuff and the bigger tyres that you use for it! Metric it is
    Not that I would try and talk you out of a metric, but I have some 2.4" Conti Trail kings on my vengeance and have plenty of room.

X-Fusion Metric-img_20140705_154546533_hdr.jpg

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Not that I would try and talk you out of a metric, but I have some 2.4" Conti Trail kings on my vengeance and have plenty of room.
    There are tires that have only minimal clearance in the Vengeance though.

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Yeah my schwalbes had even less , but i really tried to convince myself to keep the fork as it was the coil, eventually went for the Metric , 1) after judging how awesome the vengeance is , i couldnt go wrong with the Metric.
    2) i felt more comfortablewith the bigger clearance that the Metric offers
    3) i was liking the idea of being a guinea pig , and owning the first one in the Uk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Haha - thanks for the devils advocate going on! As it happens I have some sweet derby rims, so I'd rather not take any chances + hoping to race a bit of DH (Sadly I havent found anywhere that sells bigger balls, so we'll see) and would want to go dualply/2.5 upfront.

I presume the stoke is for the air metric dzdale?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Does X Fusion incl. the motion pro release valves when the fork is bought new? Mine came with the extra lowers guard stickers, a starnut and brake adapter, high pressure air pump...

But no motion pro release valves..was it supposed to come with the fork?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irban_bike View Post
    Does X Fusion incl. the motion pro release valves when the fork is bought new? Mine came with the extra lowers guard stickers, a starnut and brake adapter, high pressure air pump...

But no motion pro release valves..was it supposed to come with the fork?
    Nope, sold separately.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Do you think we could fit a coil into the metric? The one that the RV1 has??

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that a Fox 36 spring might fit. I checked if an older 36 160mm spring would fit a vengeance and IIRC it matched up pretty good with the original vengeance spring...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    But, I guess I have to change the cartridge to fit a coil... I don't know if thats possible.

Another question, does anyone of you use the micro bleeders?? I've just bought them and I will get them today, but I really don't know if it is a waste of money or if they will really help to keep the fork working perfect in every environment.

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Micro bleeders im sure do the job , especially if there are big fluctuations in altitude , temperature etc. i ride in the uk so dont experience those kind of fluctuations for the most part, ive never actually heard the air release . They do look cool though

maybe the vengeance coil internals can be adapted to fit in the metric. If I get around to it I could have a look, because I still have my Vengeance coil that I replaced with the Metric.

I just use the grub screws every now and then. They do work, there's always some pressure in there, I just turn them until I hear the "pfffffft" and tighten them up again. Maybe every 4-6 rides. I personally don't see the necessity of having the bleeders, unless maybe you ride alot at differing altitudes or in Parks with massive altitude differences.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I just got the micro bleeders with me. So I will try them today.

I live in Madrid, so -10 degrees on the mountain during winter and 35 during the summer. And altitude changing from 700m (the beggining of te track) up to 2100m. I hope they do feel useful. Not very expensive, but I hate to waste money.

Raschaa... which fork you like better.. Vengeance or Metric?

That's a tough question... they're both really good forks and the HLR cartridge runs with the best of them (IMO) anyway. The Metric just works better in my frame (Nicolai Ion16) than the Vengeance because of the lower A2C. The Vengeance was coil sprung and really, really plush but the air spring in the Metric is at least as good as the Solo-Air Lyrik I ran before. The Metric was a bit "divey" in the midstroke but 15ml of extra oil in the air chamber alleviated that nicely (@160mm).

I haven't tried the 180mm setting, that would probably turn my bike into a light DHler...

My Vengeance did develop a light creak at the crown/stanchion interface but nothing really disconcerting. If the Vengeance fits your bill and your bike then there's no reason not to pick one up, especially considering the price advantage in comparison to a Metric...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I already have the Metric... I was just thinking on going back to coil (i used to have a Van 36 RC2 and a Marzocchi 55 RC3 EVO2). That's why of this question.

And please.. help me once more.

Which oil should I use to service the metric? I can't find that info. SAE and characteristics.. please

Thankyou very much.

I personally see no reason to change the Metric to coil, it's a superb fork as it is....

I have no idea which Oil is in the HLR cartridge because I have not needed a service there yet. I would most likely put my standard Silkolene 2.5wt in, which I use for pretty much all shocks and forks... For the lowers I use motor oil because its there for lubrication and not damping... fork oil is excellent for damping purposes (duh!) but not as a lube. I put ~20ml in each side.

look here
    Metric / Vengeance Lowers Service on Vimeo

OH, a little "tip". In between services I put 3-4ml of motor oil in a syringe and inject that into the bleed ports via an old magura brake bleeding adapter which fits into the bleeding ports perfectly

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thankyou very much raschaa. I am not going to touch the HLR cartridge because I have never touched it and I can´t find any guide on how to do it. I am just changing the lowers oil and I was wondering if that oil matters for damping.

Something else. I have lower pressure on the Metric than it is advised, and also LRC and HRC to the minimun. It is impossible for me to get full travel of the fork. There is always like 30mm (it is working at 160mm) left for bottoming out. Are you able to make use of the full travel??

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Nightjjr, mine behaves exactly the same. It doesnt matter about running the forks at a lower air pressure as long as the correct SAG is maintained. My lsc is running at about 3 clicks in and the hsp at about 5 clicks in . Still baffles me as to why there are so many clicks which seem unusable

mtbr member
    May 2011
    dzdale, and can you get full travel with those settings?? I can´t at all...

I'm running mine @25% sag (don't know the pressure off the top of my head) I weigh 80kg +/-, 4 clicks LSC, 6 clicks HSC and have had the o-ring up to about 5-6mm from the crown.

Have you tried removing the air valve core and then seeing how much travel you get?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I run 25-30% sag, 0LSC and 0HSC and get up to about 2-3 cm from the crown.

If I remove all the air, I can get the full travel (4-5mm to crown), but I think it won't be a good idea to use it that way :P

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

Nightjr, im not getting full use of my travel either, pretty much the same as you. I think i got full use once and that was on about a 6 ft drop, normal trail riding and jumps dont seem to use all the travel , id be interested in hearing how i can get full use of travel though

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Maybe it is because it is intended for freeride and it has so much progresiveness at the end of the stroke that it is almost impossible to get full travel unless you do 6ft drop.

I guess it is the way it works.

how do you measure you're sag? in which riding position?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I measure it in "downhill" position. That is the way I was told to do it. Is that correct?

mtbr member

X-Fusion Metric

I get someone to hold the bike , first i get into a standing position and compress the forks a few times, thereafter remain standing like i was on the trail, and push the o rong down, i then get off the bike very carefully making sure i dont compress the forks any further.

Which means?

I like Dave Weagles approach, he differentiates between "Trail" and DH setups...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYqv3OB9-4Y

Make sure the suspension settles in to the travel, compression damping messes with sag if you don't give it time to settle in to the travel...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I do it just like the guy from the video does.

well... seems you're doing it right. have no idea why you guys don't get more travel. But then again, I don't run in to the last 2-2,5cm on my standard trail runs as well. I have to be pushing really hard on a more DH style track with a massive G-out or overshooting landings to get into those last 20mm, which is actually ok for me because I like to have the midstroke support and something in reserve when it gets really gnarly or I happen to F***up (which happens more often than I like )

I would probably try going down on pressure in really small steps to see if I could find a sweet spot compromise between sag and travel usage. might have to compensate a bit with LSC/HSC

but then again, if it feels good on trail I wouldn't worry to much about it...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've just talk to a suspension pro, and he just told me the same as you did. Lower the air pressure and play with the compression. Since it is the better that the fork get its support from the hidraulic part than from the air itself.

Also he told me that if I feel like it is diving too much because of low pressure, to put like 40 - 60ml oil on damper side to get better support, only on damper side. On the other side keep the 20ml.

I will be trying this setup to try to reach the best combination I can get. I will try to keep you updated!

Thankyou very much for all your help. I really aprreciate it.

He told me that I won't get too much, because it looks like the air chamber is very small... but keeping it with low air pressure will let me get more travel without having to make 6ft jumps

Ohhhh, don't put 40-60ml on the damper side, you will most likely get hydraulic lockout with that much oil... if you do then you would have to test if you get full travel by removing the valve core before riding it!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am going to try first playing with compressions. If I can't get what I want that way, I will try the 40-60ml oil without air to check if I get the full travel. Everything is going to be checked thoroughfully before using it on a route.

Either way, if it doesn't work the way I want, in mid August I will send it to DRS (in Spain) and they will try to fit a coil in it. Hope it can be done (they think is possible). They will try to fit the 55 ti coil to save as much weight as possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi guys. I don't have a Metric but this is an interesting discussion as I am also trying to set up my fork and use the same approach. That means that I set my sag first and then I try to fine tune the fork with the rebound, LSC and HSC settings depending on the terrain I am riding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thats it Paris!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just ordered a used 2014 Metric (650b compatible) in "excelllent" condition for $675...apparently less than 20 hrs and a fresh service. Good deal? I'm upgrading (hopefully) the 2014 Fox 34 TALAS CTD that came on my bike after finding that I need to ride 30psi more than recommended with my rebound speed set really high to keep it from diving and packing up through rock gardens. Which obviously makes for a ridiculously uncomfortable ride through small chatter. How stoked should I expect to be with the Metric? I'm really expecting a night and day difference and wanna build some positive anticipation while I'm waiting on the mail. I'm also getting a beefier front wheel too, so big things are happening up front.

Its interesting that I don't see more of these at the bike park--pikes definitely dominate the single crown market from what I can tell, but with the sweep being directly compared to the pike in some circles, I'd think that this should obviously be a way better choice for people riding long travel trail bikes. Is that right?

Does the Metric sh*t on the Pike? Is the Sweep much more Pike-like?

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    I just ordered a used 2014 Metric (650b compatible) in "excelllent" condition for $675...apparently less than 20 hrs and a fresh service. Good deal? I'm upgrading (hopefully) the 2014 Fox 34 TALAS CTD that came on my bike after finding that I need to ride 30psi more than recommended with my rebound speed set really high to keep it from diving and packing up through rock gardens. Which obviously makes for a ridiculously uncomfortable ride through small chatter. How stoked should I expect to be with the Metric? I'm really expecting a night and day difference and wanna build some positive anticipation while I'm waiting on the mail. I'm also getting a beefier front wheel too, so big things are happening up front.

Its interesting that I don't see more of these at the bike park--pikes definitely dominate the single crown market from what I can tell, but with the sweep being directly compared to the pike in some circles, I'd think that this should obviously be a way better choice for people riding long travel trail bikes. Is that right?

Does the Metric sh*t on the Pike? Is the Sweep much more Pike-like?
    Would have loved a Metric, XF which Im a fan of are just to slow to market, I have a Venegence HLR air and Pike and 34 Float, the newest Float is a big improvement over the previous 34s and way way better than the crap Talas.

Vs Pike, I think it depends on what you like, if a Fox fan then the newer 34 will be good for most, esspecially magpies who like Kashima coating.

I still prefer the Pike, but every man and his dog has one, it is good just too popular, good for Sram.

Venegence, what I notice is the dampening is as good as anything on the market, if you set it you set it up properly, I had a chance to buy a BOS, but went Pike, I rate the XF Vengeance with HLR damper as good as the BOS and Pike in damoer department and esspecially in durability and serviceability, simple.

The difference betwen the Pike and Vengeance and Metric is stiffness, I dont care what BS anyone tells me I can feel flex in the 15mm axle vs 20mm, this is the 3rd time I have switched back and I can tell straight away everytime on my home trails.

XF 36mm + 20mm axles is superior to BOS, Pike with 15mm and 34s in stiffness and stability.

That said the Pike still holds up well and where it makes up for it, is in weight, so longer rides or Enduros, that weight performance ratio is telling, if the Pike came with a 20mm axle option then Id say it would be perfect for me and total winner, 20mm axle js every bit as light, more industry BS re 15mm..

The Metric is only slightly lighter than the Vengeance and lower a2c, for me a2c is not an issue, I like it higher, but the bleed valves nice touch, I use it allot on my Float 40s after long runs and notice the difference.

The reason you dont see as many XF vs Pikes or Fox is pure ignorance and porn snobbery!

If you ride park or hard out Enduro All Mountain and trail riding, the only thing youll give up is a slight weight advantage to the Pike, but more than make up for it stiffness and stability.

I see Brian Lopes was testing out a 2016, yes 2016 Sweep with the HLR damper apparently and it looked like a new crown and lower leg design, maybe 35 or still 34 but flared more for extra stiffness maybe.

Get a Metric, Fox has gone back to 36 and making it better, others will follow, XF they have lead the way back to real forks on real bikes.

I said this when the 34 first came out, it was for a gap in the market where 32mm was being stretched to far, then Fox and bike manafactures did the same stupid thing with the 34" stretched it too far and tried to please too many people and pleasing no one.

34mm 130-150mm travel for proper riders!
    35/36 160 - 170mm tavel pretty simple.

The other thing I notice about XF more so over Fox, but also over the Pike, is its like the fork is not moving, but it is its very stable does its job without you realising it, bike remains stable no pitchyness, where as the Fox is very busy seems to be working over time and then some, it may seem like a fast fork to some, eg ride fast, but its out of control and overwhelmed most of the time, which actually means the ruder us working harder and ultimately slower, I know this is backed up by a freind I recently got onto a Vengeance off a 36 Talas as couldnt get a new damper for it or a Float replacement.
    Pros are not riding the same Fox as you and I thats a definite.

After first ride on his new Veng, he set PRs and his comment was, for the first time he could concentrate on riding, the Veng fork he didnt notice, where as the 36 Talas he had in comparison said it felt really busy on the same trail, the bike would pitch allot and he would always be trying to adjust to that while riding, now he says he just concentrates on riding down the trail as fast as possible for his skill, the bike fork is forgotten, that hos good suspension should be.

Every ride he gets new PRs dam it.
    Ive turned him into a beast!

Mtb Guide
    By no means is XF perfect, I think they could do a better job of providing tunning info, custom tunning options and setups.

Service info in more detail and detail on reducing travel not just ITA for example.

Like the Sweep a lighter getter Syntace axle which us one of the best and easiest to use, not on the Metripc to save weight, sure though they coukd have made a light one.

Not much else

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    By no means is XF perfect, I think they could do a better job of providing tunning info, custom tunning options and setups.

Service info in more detail and detail on reducing travel not just ITA for example.

Like the Sweep a lighter getter Syntace axle which us one of the best and easiest to use, not on the Metripc to save weight, sure though they coukd have made a light one.

Not much else
    Thanks for the lengthy reply, I think "busy" is a spot on description for my Fox 34. Definitely feels out of control when carrying speed through toothy terrain, which though fun as hell, is quite scary sometimes. I'd rather get my fun fighting the trail--not the bike. I weigh 220+ fully geared up and my bike is 160 mm so the lift assisted DH I do at n* could certainly benefit from added stiffness and stability. I'm just pissed that Fox didn't have their new 36 out when I got my bike--the 2015 model will surely have it. I'm new to the sport but this dang "enduro" frenzy really screwed up the options for a mini-dh I was in the market for. I have a trek slash, but would've been way more into a scratch coil for example if they still made them. By trying to make everything more pedalable and lighter, too much from dh prowess was sacrificed.

Hopefully i should have my metric and new wheel within the next two weeks. I'll try to write up my thoughts about it and my Fox 34 and post some pics.

I can pretty much backup what Maverick states.

You should be very happy with the Metric especially if you lean more to light-DH, lift assisted Biking. If weight/pedability were the major issue the Pike might be the better choice but if you want a fork that will hold its own when pushing a 160mm fork in the gnar, then the Metric is tough to beat.

Albeit it's not perfect (which fork is?). I do find it could do with a tad more mid-stroke support, not a deal breaker and probably down to personal preference but I feel it could stand up a wee bit more in its travel.

XF really needs to up their aftersales support. Get more tech vids and service manuals up and do more for the european market. German distributor has next to no spare parts and difficulties acquiring them. They even have problems satisfiying the market with forks and shocks, they're chronically sold out over here and haven't gotten one single Metric or RV1. Had to get my Metric via other channels...

You made the right choice, you're gonna love it!

moaaar shimz
    German distributor has next to no spare parts and difficulties acquiring them. They even have problems satisfiying the market with forks and shocks, they're chronically sold out over here and haven't gotten one single Metric or RV1. Had to get my Metric via other channels...
    Typical X-Fusion to be honest, you can't rely on them for spare parts or constant product supply, pity because they have really good forks to offer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

X-Fusion Metric

I've been following this thread and really appreciate all the in-depth info and rider/owner opinion. I'm looking at getting a bike in the next few months that comes standard with the vengeance (170mm) but am thinking of maybe swapping out to the metric for the 180mm travel. The bike is the specialized enduro evo comp. (180mm rear travel) The higher end models have historically come with 180mm forks (fox 36 180) would you guys say do it? Or just ride and be happy with the vengeance? There's no way to adjust a vengeance up to 180 right, the limit is 170?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Finally got use of almost full travel. I had to brake very hard on a bumpy area just before a very closed turn at the end of a fast part of the circuit.

X-Fusion Metric-10525578_10152605258727812_5863565872917831308_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    Thanks womble, yeah was saying top of the axle just cause it's easier/more accurate tape measurement vs someone trying to eyeball the axle center

Reason I was asking is cause I was able to measure travel on one at a hair over 187mm, but wasn't able to pull the wheel to measure actual AC

Agree, machining is slick.. almost makes the fork look bigger
    OK guys...so I'm still not clear as to what I need to measure from the crown to get an accurate AC height...

Is it supposed to be crown to center of axle? Or crown to the top of the axle?

Sorry for the retard question...

center of axle, but its much easier and more precise to measure to top of axle and just add 10mm...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks Raschaa...

Turns out it doesnt quite matter as we ALL have 26" versions - I called X Fusion to ask and they confirmed (triple confirmed for the purposes of this thread) that the 27.5 specific crowns are not to be mfg'ed until sometime next year (i know - it was already stated in this thread but I had to hear it for myself).

On another different topic, they also updated me on the Revel HLR - don't expect it anytime soon as they are waiting for the Taiwan mfgs to manufacture a batch of parts that were faultily built in the first pass...I guess thats part of the game when your company is considered a small time player in relation to the big boys (you get put on the back-burner).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Peter diggin my Vengeance then?

For the record BOS have 20mm axles as well

mtbr member
    May 2011
    maybe the vengeance coil internals can be adapted to fit in the metric. If I get around to it I could have a look, because I still have my Vengeance coil that I replaced with the Metric.

I just use the grub screws every now and then. They do work, there's always some pressure in there, I just turn them until I hear the "pfffffft" and tighten them up again. Maybe every 4-6 rides. I personally don't see the necessity of having the bleeders, unless maybe you ride alot at differing altitudes or in Parks with massive altitude differences.
    Have you checked it already??

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

My new metric

X-Fusion Metric-image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by nightjjr View Post
    Have you checked it already??
    no, sorry, haven't got around to it, bit busy lately...

but on *my* Metric/Vengeance thread over at german mtb-news.de one guy posted some interesting findings. the HLR-Cart from the Metric actually allows 235mm travel so if you could get your hands on the coil setup from a RV1 then you could make yourself a 200mm single crown fork. the stanchion/bush overlap allows 205mm...

seeing that the HLR-Cart is more or less identical with exception of that the Vengeance Cartridge only allows 180mm, I'm pretty sure that the Veng spring assembly will fit as well. The question being will it give 180mm travel? it might actually be easier to just pick up the RV1 spring assembly...

a few months ago, mtb-news.de featured a user bike, a spec demo II with a 200mm Metric, now that we know that the Metric will allow for that travel it's actually not such a big deal as I thought it was...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Metric set up rec

Now that I have my new metric, setup starting recommendations? I weigh 220 geared up and spend most of my time on the blacks at n* at a moderate pace, over loose, chunky terrain.

Thanks!

ooops

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    A bit of a question : when it comes to dismantling the forks for an oil change, where the hell can I get a damper removal tool? (here in the UK no-one sells them). Or in practice do people just use a socket?

where do you need the aforementioned "damper removal tool"? I just take mine apart...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The left leg( I think). One has an alan key that you can tap, while the other has the damper rod poking out so you cant whack it.

Right leg, "drive side", just remove the knobs and the retaining nut. I usually just thread the nut off a few turns and knock it with the 13 mm socket I used to loosen it. I do it bit by bit, if the nut bottoms on the castimg and its not loose yet, I turn it back a few rotations and knock i t again, repeat until loose...

alternatively, the damper removal tool is just a bit of round metal with a hole just big enough to fit the blue rod in so that it seats on the bigger rod.

The rods are not in the casting very tight, it's not like Rock Shox that use conical seats that sometimes really need a whacking to come loose. In the case of XF they are quite easy to knock out because the seat is cylindrical with an o-ring to seal it and fit it snugly in the casting hole...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ahh, thanks - I wondered if there was a standard workaround. Putting in the order today, should be here by the end of the week, very excited!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Inconsistency: Damper Tuning Range # of Clicks

Just consolidating a separate thread I started regarding the Metric's damper tunability range:

HELP: X-Fusion Metric HLR Damper Click Inconsistency

X-Fusion Metric-20140901_135933_resized.jpg

mtbr member
    is it possible to buy a Metric somewhere? I can't find it in any online store

mtbr member
    Yeah it's possible
    I also didn't find any online shop, but searched for official dealers, found one in a neighbouring country and bought one there by email.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    is it possible to buy a Metric somewhere? I can't find it in any online store
    BTI | Forks & Rear Shocks from X-Fusion Shox (page 1)

I'd then use the find a retailer tool and just have your favorite LBS order one up...if that's a possibility?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    If I didn't have a girlfriend, I'd buy a second metric just to sleep with. It's that good.

Lol

My settings at the moment:

Rider ~80kg
    Sag: 27%
    Rebound: 15 in
    HSC: 5 in
    LSC 6 in

PSI varies to much between different pumps so I just wrote sag...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Lol

My settings at the moment:

Rider ~80kg
    Sag: 27%
    Rebound: 15 in
    HSC: 5 in
    LSC 6 in

PSI varies to much between different pumps so I just wrote sag...
    Good point on the PSI. Mine was recorded using the x-fusion pump. Maybe I should start doing sag too...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This fork takes my little bike to infinity and beyond.... seriously your AM rig is gonna shred again! Anything Fox is junk bin, I have 3 of them for sale no buyers in 6 months.

mtbr member
    Any successful conversion of a metric to coil spring to date?

yepp, some guys at german mtb-news.de reported ón that...

oops, my bad, just checked that and they were converting domain/lyrik springs to the vengeance... seeing that they had to shorten the springs maybe they will give 180mm travel? possibly a 36 180mm spring might fit... but you would still have to mess about with the pushrod to make a coil spring work for a metric. or maybe get the hardware for a RV1, should be compatible.... there was a "bike of the week" at mtb-news.de that had a 200mm Metric coil!

Bike der Woche #27: Specialized Demo von User "Flowmeier" - MTB-News.de

Proudly: A Mexican Rider
    Metric on my NS Soda

X-Fusion Metric-dsc_0200.jpg

Another video I took

Quote Originally Posted by cerebroside View Post
    Anyone else had trouble with the brake hose clamp on their Metric? Smashed mine into three pieces on my first ride/crash on them.

Had a minor crash, bars spun, pulled on the brake hose, and snapped it. It was a bit of a pain to install too, would be easier if the plastic was softer.
    Tried to epoxy it back together, but no go. Hose position puts too much force on it. Guess I'll have to see if they stock replacements.

Really like the forks otherwise.
    I broke mine on the first or second ride too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Josue View Post
    I broke mine on the first or second ride too.
    In a crash or just riding? My replacement has lasted the rest of the season. Seems to only be at risk if the hose gets yanked hard, which I guess beats breaking a brake fitting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast