mtbr member
    Jul 2004

x-fusion 02 RC opionions

i'm considering buying a second hand specialized fsr xc comp as a second back (main one are yeti as-x).

the specialized is nicely spec'd and the only thing bothering me is a x-fusion 02 RC air shock.
    and the fact that specialized use an OEM size shock (7x1.6) so it can't be replaced.

i'll be glad to hear your opinions about it.

also the fork is rockshox tora 100mm, left leg is air and the right one has rebound + compression/lockout. any opionions about it too ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have an O2RC on my 2001 K2 Attack. I bought it used and rode it last season. It seems to work well, nice and light compared to the coil shock that was originally on the frame. The lockout works pretty well, seems to move a little bit. The compression adjustment doesn't really feel like it does much outside of the lockout, but that might have more to do with the bike's suspension set-up. I need to oil the shaft every other ride or so, or else it starts squeaking, and it would be nice if the compression and rebound adjustments clicked so that you can easily keep track of what settings you've tried. But, overall I'm happy with it; I feel like I got a lot for my money - I paid something like $65 for it.

FP

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    with what do you lube it ?

doesn't it collect alot of crap in a dry weather because of the oil ?

so I shouldn't be scared of this shock? (I'm used to high-end parts, but as a second bike I like the deal I can get on this bike, something with fox float will cost alot more).

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I use a little tri-flow on it. It doesn't collect much crap, the shock is fairly sheltered on the bike by the seat tube and down tube. My buddies who have stumpjumper fsr's made up shields from an old inner tube to protect their shocks (foxes, by the way) from stuff slinging off the rear wheel a bit better. The wiper seal keeps the shaft pretty clean and makes a nice neat line where the ride's max travel was.

Honestly, I haven't experienced any real performance issues with the x-fusion other than the squeaking thing. I think that was mentioned in a pro review of the o2 on mtbr as well. I'd like to have a Fox, but I just can't afford one so this thing is fitting the bill nicely.

FP

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

x-fusion o2rc bushes

I have a Spec FSRXC comp 2007 (bought Oct 2006).
    The lower rear shock bushes are quite worn.
    My supplier is trying to get replacements - but taking some time.
    Reading the posts above, I'm a bit concerned I might never get them and/or not be able to replace the shock.
    Currently I'm wrapping ptfe tape round the outside of the bushes to take up some of the slack and reduce wear on the inside of the shock eye.
    I had a lot os squeaking a few weeks ago and suspect some of this was because the bolt at the other end of the shock was too tight and the one through the lower end and link was also too tight - which is also why the bushes got worn on the outsied rather than on the inside.

AARGHHH.

(I've done about 4000 miles on this bike as i use it to go to and from work which includes some off-road that has broken other bikes after five years.)

Inrideo est vita
    Quote Originally Posted by Fribble
    I have a Spec FSRXC comp 2007 (bought Oct 2006).
    The lower rear shock bushes are quite worn.
    My supplier is trying to get replacements - but taking some time.
    Reading the posts above, I'm a bit concerned I might never get them and/or not be able to replace the shock.
    If there are DU bushings, then they are either 12mm (Manitou) or 12.5mm (Fox). Reducers are harder, but Specialized USA and X-Fusion USA should both have some on hand. You will need to know the bolt diameter, the overall width of both reducers and the inner diameter of the DU bushing.
    If you have any concerns about your shock or need reducers, contact the boys at X-Fusion USA (TEL:408-866-0188). They are all super nice and will help you out to the best of their ability.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

Former Bike Wrench
    I ran a X-Fusion O2 PVA on a Jamis XLT until I sold it and it was an awesome shock. Way better than the Fox Float R it replaced.

-The bushing size is the same as Fox (I used the same reducers)
    -The best thing for lubing is to unscrew the air sleeve (need a strap wrench, here's the manual) and lube up the seal and inside with some Slick Honey or SRAM Butter.