mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Would you buy and 01 Rock Shox Sid XC?

Guy wants 80 bucks for it. To much for a 5 year old fork? Said he has hardly used it.

What are some of the things I should check on it?

The good/bad of this fork?
    Last edited by Blueadder; 09-07-2006 at 06:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueadder
    Guy wants 80 bucks for it. To much for a 5 year old fork? Said he has hardly used it.

What are some of the things I should check on it?

The good/bad of this fork?
    I don't know much about these forks, but $80 sounds much too high to me.

Take a look at the seals and stanchions. (The stanchions should not have any scratches. The seals should fit tightly around the stanchion and should not have any cracking.) Make sure that the dropouts look to be in good shape. Make sure the steer tube is long enough for your bike. Look for oil leaks. (I'm guessing he'll have wiped all the leaking oil away before he lets you look at it though.) If you do purchase the fork, be prepared to get new seals too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    hrmm. Maybe I'll just hold off on it and save up alittle more for something new.

Is the average cost for a rebuild of a fork about 50 bucks? I think I might just offer him 40 or 50 for it. Dunno

MK_
    carpe maņana
    What is your application? There aren't many which SIDs are suitable for; the only one I can think of is XC racing if you're skinny, a girl or a small guy. The fork is not what one would refer to as confidence inspiring, therefore, you need to have a lot of your own to feel comfortable with this fork. For someone who's just a regular rider, I would advise against a SID. I also don't recall the damping to be anything good. $80 is a fair price.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    What is your application? There aren't many which SIDs are suitable for; the only one I can think of is XC racing if you're skinny, a girl or a small guy. The fork is not what one would refer to as confidence inspiring, therefore, you need to have a lot of your own to feel comfortable with this fork. For someone who's just a regular rider, I would advise against a SID. I also don't recall the damping to be anything good. $80 is a fair price.

_MK
    after doing some research on it, I figured that out. And also the lbs here told me they couldn't get parts for forks older than 2 years.

Glorified Hybrid Owner
    Dec 2005
    I have a 2000 SID XC with a 2001 lower (2001's have a stiffer wraparound arch) that I bought new in 2000.

It works great and is probably the best fork I've ever owned. The SID XC was said to be more durable than the other SIDs at that time.

And it works in plenty of situations...hell, some people ride rigid forks...I used to ride a 63mm elastomer fork in the same conditions I ride today...

It all depends on what you want.