mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Would a 2011 Magura Durin Race 100 make a good XC trail fork?

Having a hard time finding reviews on the Magura Durin R100. I just purchased one to replace an excellent condition '09 Rockshox SID Team ( I was going to give the Sid to my wife). Magura lists on their website that this fork is suitable for both XC and XC racing. When I received the fork the owners manual gives it 5 out of 5 for XC racing but only 1 out of 5 for XC trail. I plan on using this fork only for XC trail riding. I am getting second thoughts on this fork as I am not sure if this would be a good substitute for the SID. I live in arizona and the Trails are fairly choppy here. I also believe I ride kind of hard (no real jumps just fast through the choppy stuff). Would the Durin be a good fork for me? I have 30 days to return it for a full refund.
    Last edited by FireLikeIYA; 12-21-2011 at 02:13 PM.
    Killing it with close inspection.

Mountain Man Dan
    I don't see why not. It's just a light weight XC fork. Racing is pretty much fast through choppy stuff too. I'd ride it. Looks like a sweet fork!

Here's a review....

Project 24 Review: 2011 Magura Durin 100 Race suspension fork - Bike Rumor
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectDan35 View Post
    I don't see why not. It's just a light weight XC fork. Racing is pretty much fast through choppy stuff too. I'd ride it. Looks like a sweet fork!

Here's a review....

Project 24 Review: 2011 Magura Durin 100 Race suspension fork - Bike Rumor
    Project Dan, thanks for the link. That review made it sound like the Durin may be a little flexy for anyone over 150lb. I am at 190 with gear. It also sounds like the fork may blow through its travel fairly easy? Fork definitely looks sweet and appears to be very high quality. I wonder how it compares to the Sid, though. I don't particularly like the Sid ... I just want to make sure that I am upgrading.
    Killing it with close inspection.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    Project Dan, thanks for the link. That review made it sound like the Durin may be a little flexy for anyone over 150lb. I am at 190 with gear. It also sounds like the fork may blow through its travel fairly easy? Fork definitely looks sweet and appears to be very high quality. I wonder how it compares to the Sid, though. I don't particularly like the Sid ... I just want to make sure that I am upgrading.
    I have 2 Wotan and that dual arch is very stiff. It's the stiffest single crown fork I've tried. Yes the Durin is a 9qr fork but the fork itself would be stiff. If you have concern about flex from the skewer then look into the 9mm thru bolt or the DT Swiss RWS.

Sid would be considerably flexier than Durin. Magura forks especially longer ones like Thor and Wotan feels pretty good more like moto fork than bike fork.

If the Durin you are getting has travel adjust feature you'd love it even more when you drop the travel it increase the neg air making the shorter travel setting even more plush which is very useful when climbing tech stuffs. You can use the Magura's Propedal feature call Albert's select to adjust the firmness you want, as always I leave it all the way open.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    makes no sense switching to another fork, been riding this one for a long time and never felt short, i am an 180 pound hardtail rider and no flex problems noticed, this is a very stiff, good responding fork,loving it

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by fonzie123 View Post
    makes no sense switching to another fork, been riding this one for a long time and never felt short, i am an 180 pound hardtail rider and no flex problems noticed, this is a very stiff, good responding fork,loving it
    Well the thing with the flex in the fork is that you would not notice it, or even when you switch to stiffer fork. It's when you switch back to the "flexier" fork then it would hit you. Same goes with the qr and thru axle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, it would make a good XC Trail fork -- the R100 that is. The 100mm travel is linear and usable throughout its stroke. Small bump compliance is superb and can take moderate hits on rocky, rooty trails. Mine is a 2011 model and I use it in XC Races (circuit and point-to-point) as well as Sunday group trail rides traversing through limestone-strewn singletracks and gravelly downhills. I weigh 170 lbs and set the airspring at 68 psi.