mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Is it worth while to upgrade my 04 SID to a newer SID?

I have a older but good condition 04 SID Team with the little 28mm tubes. It is on my light weight hard tail and i dont really want to add much weight to the bike. Also i only weight about 130lb so i dont put much stress on it. I mostly use it for riding single track, no big jumps or drops at all. Just a little rough rock gardens and some steep rooty sections at low speed. I thought the SID was working OK until i rode a new S-Works the other day with a new SID. The new S Works felt great. I am sure a lot of this is that it was a 29er, dual suspension and a $10,000 bike. But i did notice that the front just felt more "settled" and plush. It got me thinking about getting a newer 32mm SID. I have serviced my fork recently so it does have fresh seals and oil in it. Do you guys think that for my weight the newer forks will really be much better than my old out dated SID?

Class Clown
    If you are asking permission to buy a new fork then by all means go ahead! You are talking almost 10 years of fork R&D. On the other hand, if it ain't broke.... Up to you really, the older SIDs still get good money in the used market so people still like using them. I'm glad I could be of absolutely no help, let us know what you decide!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a 2004 sid wc on my bike and I can't wait to get a new fork! It's been a great fork in the sense that it's light and that it's held up well.....but compared to current forks its dated, has no adjustability, and its super flexy. I say move up to a new 100mm fox 32 float or one of the new SIDs, the difference should be night and day.

mtbr member

Is it worth while to upgrade my 04 SID to a newer SID?

Mind the steerer tube differences in diameter. A lot of the newer forks are 1.5" at the base of the steerer.
    "This isn't the ******* comedy hour. Sober up and do it right."