Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Worth upgrading to Recon Silver TK SoloAir?

I recently bought a used Kona Caldera which came with the stock OEM version Marzocchi MZ Race (coil). This fork is too damn soft and it bottoms out even from braking on a flat surface. I tried to increase the preload by taking it apart and inserting a spacer on top of the coil but that did nothing.

I am looking to upgrade and found that RS Recon Silver TK AirSolo is on Amazon for $204 shipped. I am a newbie and this will be my first "serious" fork (or at least it seems serious to me).

My question to those more knowledgeable is : Is this fork the best "bang for your buck" at $200 or should I shop around for something better? I wouldn't want to spend a lot more unless I was getting something significantly better.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I had the same fork on my Cannondale trail SL 2.
    It worked very well so in my opinion for $200 it's worth it.

Maybe look elsewhere for the same fork to compare the price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by foxone View Post
    I had the same fork on my Cannondale trail SL 2.
    It worked very well so in my opinion for $200 it's worth it.

Maybe look elsewhere for the same fork to compare the price.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Apparently PerformanceBike.com had the fork for $209 on sale but it is now selling it for $299 and the cheapest one I found on eBay was actually a used one taken off a Cannondale Trail SL 2. That guy wants at least 200 plus $15 for shipping, which is more than it costs new.

I don't mind buying used but there has to be a decent discount from new for it to be worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Take from:
    Quick RockShox fork question - Mtbr Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hadeone View Post
    So it's safe to say you like the fork?

I posted in the shocks and suspension forum asking about this fork and if it's a deal at $200. Got one response. I went ahead with it because it seems a lot of people were satisfied with it and I'm not at the level where I could justify spending more money anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasontamu View Post
    Yes, I purchased one (recon silver, soloair, with 9mm drop outs, white color from performance with lock out lever on right upper) and rode it every weekend (at least) for months now and I'm very happy with it.

My older bike had old school englund air cartridges in them and this was an upgrade. I feel i was able to adjust pressure to a suitable level, adjust rebound on the lower knob to where it wasnt too fast....

the fork is solid, its oversize and steel lowers give it a solid line tracking and goes right where you point it, i feel no LH to RH flex at all and i like the fork.

I like the fork enough that for the price point i purchase a 2nd recon (identical to my first) to put on my other full suspension bike.

so far been happy with the decision....

yes ive ridden high end forks as well, but other than mega weight savings, this thing is great for the weekend warrior, ex-xc racer that I am now.

-J

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I saw your post in the other thread. I ended up ordering the fork and am waiting to get it on the bike and ride!

Thanks for your insight.

BTW the price dropped a bit and might continue so if anyone is thinking of getting the fork and is not in a rush, watch the price for a few days.

Link to fork on Amazon

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I wish the 120mm version was also on sale...

mtbr member
    You'll very quickly outgrow that fork.. the dampers are very poor. If its not too late to cancel, id keep shopping. You can do much better! Its a quality fork, just the dampers really lack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    The damping in it is crap, and you're much better off just saving your pennies until you can buy a Manitou Match.

Cancel the order if you can.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alexzhu1 View Post
    I wish the 120mm version was also on sale...
    I thought the travel on this fork was adjustable 80-100-120 mm.

To the guys that told me to cancel, will I find a better fork for $200? or even $300?
    From what I understand the damper can be changed to a Motion Control damper for around $50, when I realize that the damper sucks.

As of right now I have no experience with any damper since I've only ridden cheap coil only forks. I can refuse the package but I'd rather give it a shot at this point and upgrade when needed.
    Last edited by hadeone; 11-15-2012 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    To the guys that told me to cancel, will I find a better fork for $200? or even $300?
    From what I understand the damper can be changed to a Motion Control damper for around $50, when I realize that the damper sucks.

As of right now I have no experience with any damper since I've only ridden cheap coil only forks. I can refuse the package but I'd rather give it a shot at this point and upgrade when needed.
    Yes, you can find the Manitou Match all day for between $200 and $300.

Don't waste your money on a low end fork with a rubbish damper just because it's marginally better than what you have now. Spend the little bit of extra money and get a fork which performs really well. Just because you're a new rider doesn't mean you have to saddle yourself with poorly performing equipment.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just did a quick search for the Manitou Match Comp and found it for $229.52 shipped at PricePoint.com

That would be an additional $40 for the Manitou compared to the Recon. I also noticed that the Match Comp is a coil fork. Isn't an air spring an upgrade over a coil? If it is, then I'd rather keep the air fork and upgrade the damper later on since it will cost about the same as buying the Manitou.

Your feedback is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Just did a quick search for the Manitou Match Comp and found it for $229.52 shipped at PricePoint.com

That would be an additional $40 for the Manitou compared to the Recon. I also noticed that the Match Comp is a coil fork. Isn't an air spring an upgrade over a coil? If it is, then I'd rather keep the air fork and upgrade the damper later on since it will cost about the same as buying the Manitou.

Your feedback is appreciated.
    It's coil with air assist. Air forks aren't better than coil forks. They're different, each with its own pros and cons.

Even the upgraded Motion Control damper isn't as good as the Manitou's TPC damper. Additionally, the MoCo damper is a $50 extra (plus shipping) which puts it over the price of the Manitou.

Just do a search on here for the Match and you'll see it's an excellent fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    It's coil with air assist. Air forks aren't better than coil forks. They're different, each with its own pros and cons.

Even the upgraded Motion Control damper isn't as good as the Manitou's TPC damper. Additionally, the MoCo damper is a $50 extra (plus shipping) which puts it over the price of the Manitou.

Just do a search on here for the Match and you'll see it's an excellent fork.

I have another question for you if you don't mind.

I found this Manitou Minute Expert and they are selling the 100mm for $40 more than the 80mm. I noticed that the description says it's internally adjustable from 80 to 100mm. At $220 (EDIT: free shipping) it seems like a deal to me and I will buy at that price.

Do you know anything about this fork? Is the travel really adjustable?

Thanks for all your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That is a great price. Seriously, buy that fork immediately.

The Manitou Minute is an excellent fork, and I highly recommend it. It's internally adjustable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That is a great price. Seriously, buy that fork immediately.

The Manitou Minute is an excellent fork, and I highly recommend it. It's internally adjustable.
    Done.

Thanks for your insight.

EDIT: Any reason why that website would sell the same fork, set up differently (80mm vs 100mm) for different prices?
    Last edited by hadeone; 11-15-2012 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    EDIT: Any reason why that website would sell the same fork, set up differently (80mm vs 100mm) for different prices?
    It's probably worth $40 to a lot of people not having to open up a fork as soon as they buy it to adjust the travel.

By the way, I called Manitou and they confirmed it's the same fork and the 80 can be set to 100 and the 100 can be set to 80.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's probably worth $40 to a lot of people not having to open up a fork as soon as they buy it to adjust the travel.

By the way, I called Manitou and they confirmed it's the same fork and the 80 can be set to 100 and the 100 can be set to 80.
    You're the man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    If anyone else is thinking of buying the 2012 Manitou Minute Expert you can get it for $20 less than me now. They are running a 10% off promo with the coupon code WEB10. Comes out to $200 shipped for the fork set to 80mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I was looking at replacing my OEM Fox Float R with a Manitou Minute Pro 140 mm. When I go to PricePoint I see a 120mm offered butthe specs have a 140.. Can the 120mm fork be adjusted to 140mm? From comments on this post seems the Manitou is a good fork. If this seems like a bad idea I 'm open for input. I'm replacing the Fox due to it needing a full rebuild and figured instead of investing in a rebuild I would do an upgrade. I'm new to bikes and seems like many choices are available. My bike is a 2008 Giant Trance X2. I would like to keep my investment under $500.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What is a full rebuild? Realize all modern forks will regular maintenance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by celler View Post
    I was looking at replacing my OEM Fox Float R with a Manitou Minute Pro 140 mm. When I go to PricePoint I see a 120mm offered butthe specs have a 140.. Can the 120mm fork be adjusted to 140mm? From comments on this post seems the Manitou is a good fork. If this seems like a bad idea I 'm open for input. I'm replacing the Fox due to it needing a full rebuild and figured instead of investing in a rebuild I would do an upgrade. I'm new to bikes and seems like many choices are available. My bike is a 2008 Giant Trance X2. I would like to keep my investment under $500.
    That Float wipes the floor with Manitou Minute. Service it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yes I need a full rebuild including the upper tubes that have damage. Guessing 300 plus shipping to and from Fox.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I guess an option is a new Fox Evolution CTD. These are $600 Is this fork worth 300 more than the rebuilt float? Jernas thanks for the recomedation to rebuild. I have ridden dirt bikes for 35 years and the forks on those are very good. I guess you can say with Mountain bikes I only know what I have ridden and that is the stock Fox on my Trance.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    If you are trying to save money on a fork, go for a RockShox XC32 TK. That fork still has rebound dampening and costs around $125. It has steel coil springs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Can you get the RockShox XC32 in a 140mm?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast