Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    What?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jernas View Post
    That Float wipes the floor with Manitou Minute. Service it.
    I beg to differ.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by celler View Post
    Yes I need a full rebuild including the upper tubes that have damage. Guessing 300 plus shipping to and from Fox.
    How often did you service it?

As already recommended above, look at the Manitou Match or a more expensive Minute. Both of them have the same excellent damper and they have good chassis. The Minute will be lighter than the Match. You can currently find the Minute for about $250 on Chain Reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    If you are trying to save money on a fork, go for a RockShox XC32 TK. That fork still has rebound dampening and costs around $125. It has steel coil springs.
    The XC32 is a piece of **** fork. What does it matter if it has rebound damping if the rebound damping is complete trash? Don't recommend trash to someone.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    What does it matter if it has rebound damping if the rebound damping is complete trash? Don't recommend trash to someone.[/QUOTE]

What I meant to say was that no person can really afford a new FOX or top of the line RockShox. It might be better to get a new fork, RockShox makes many higher end forks, the Sektor line may be less "trash" (y). Recon solo air may be a choice too! It all depends on what riding you do.

I think that the XC32 is 100mm only. The Kona Caldera is just a hardtail and unless you are doing some serious riding, the XC32 TK should be perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think that the XC32 is 100mm only. The Kona Caldera is just a hardtail and unless you are doing some serious riding, the XC32 TK should be perfect.
    It seems that you responded to 2 different people unknowingly. I am the OP and have already bought a Manitou fork.

Someone else asked an unrelated (to my bike) question and the discussion continued from there.

IMO it's not worth paying to change the stock fork to something that would perform the same. I was shopping to upgrade so I wouldn't buy the XC32 and I didn't buy the SoloAir either. The 2nd poster says he needs a replacement fork.

Ooops, I meant to respond to the first person, sorry. I didn't see that you were in the lines of FOX shox for a bike rebuild.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    What I meant to say was that no person can really afford a new FOX or top of the line RockShox. It might be better to get a new fork, RockShox makes many higher end forks, the Sektor line may be less "trash" (y). Recon solo air may be a choice too! It all depends on what riding you do.
    Obviously there is a big range in between the XC32 and top of the line Fox or Rock Shox. The XC32 costs about $180 online, and for $45 more you can buy a Manitou Match which will outperform the XC32 in every single way, and in most cases completely butcher it.

The only Recon worth owning it the Gold R or Gold RL, and the Manitou Match will even handly outperform those.

It just bothers me when people start recommending something without really understanding what they're recommending.

Again, the XC32 is ****. If the Kona Caldera sees any use on dirt then it's much better off with a fork actually designed to perform on dirt, which the XC32 absolutely is not. The XC32 TK is anything but perfect for him.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    Obviously there is a big range in between the XC32 and top of the line Fox or Rock Shox. The XC32 costs about $180 online, and for $45 more you can buy a Manitou Match which will outperform the XC32 in every single way, and in most cases completely butcher it.

The only Recon worth owning it the Gold R or Gold RL, and the Manitou Match will even handly outperform those.

It just bothers me when people start recommending something without really understanding what they're recommending.

Again, the XC32 is ****. If the Kona Caldera sees any use on dirt then it's much better off with a fork actually designed to perform on dirt, which the XC32 absolutely is not. The XC32 TK is anything but perfect for him.
    Manitou Match is not such a great XC fork either sure it works ok and has a better damper than Turnkey will ever be (except if RS upgrades it in the future) but it's heavy as hell at around 2.40 kg and you can believe me there's one thing you don't want on a XC bike and that's weight at the front. I'm not sure how much the XC 32 weights but if much less I'd take that one.

I'm not saying the Match is a bad performer, it's just not a great fork for XC like some people in this thread have been repeating over and over...

mtbr member
    Rockshox says XC 32 TK weights 2352g. I would rather use a fork with a lot better damper and 1 kg more weight than crappy damper and lightweight fork (if that even was the case but clearly it is not). I would choose Manitou Match anyday when compared to XC 32 TK.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Manitou Match is not such a great XC fork either sure it works ok and has a better damper than Turnkey will ever be (except if RS upgrades it in the future) but it's heavy as hell at around 2.40 kg and you can believe me there's one thing you don't want on a XC bike and that's weight at the front. I'm not sure how much the XC 32 weights but if much less I'd take that one.

I'm not saying the Match is a bad performer, it's just not a great fork for XC like some people in this thread have been repeating over and over...
    The XC32 weighs just as much.

No one is saying the Manitou Match is the best fork for XC, but it is the best in its price range.

The TPC damper in the Match is equal to anything out there. Manitou puts the same high performance damper in all its forks, even the entry level ones.

What?

XC 32 is 2352g(5.2lbs) claimed by RS. XC 32 TK | SRAM
    Match is 2314g (5.1lbs)claimed by Manitou

So you point is pointless because the XC32 actually weighs more.

As pointed out multiple times by multiple people, for its price the Match is far better then any other fork. I would personally take a Match over most forks RS makes because of the shimmed rebound damper which only comes in the highest RS forks.

Then again, I would personally spend the extra 40 bucks and get the Minute expert from pricepoint and drop a pound in the process.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Then again, I would personally spend the extra 40 bucks and get the Minute expert from pricepoint and drop a pound in the process.
    Just for curiosity (and for anyone considering buying this fork) I went to pricepoint to check the price for the Minute Expert and it's $251 but the 100mm is backordered so they are giving anyone that orders it now 10% off, dropping the price to $226.78. I'm not sure if they are charging for shipping.

Like you might have read in this thread I got the Minute Expert (set at 80mm) from CRC for $220 shipped, and right after I ordered they started a 10% off promo. So it would be around $200 to your door for the 80mm and around $240 for the 100mm.

It looks like a great deal to me. Can't wait to get mine installed.

What?
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeone View Post
    Just for curiosity (and for anyone considering buying this fork) I went to pricepoint to check the price for the Minute Expert and it's $251 but the 100mm is backordered so they are giving anyone that orders it now 10% off, dropping the price to $226.78. I'm not sure if they are charging for shipping.

Like you might have read in this thread I got the Minute Expert (set at 80mm) from CRC for $220 shipped, and right after I ordered they started a 10% off promo. So it would be around $200 to your door for the 80mm and around $240 for the 100mm.

It looks like a great deal to me. Can't wait to get mine installed.
    I actually used one for a year and my wife has now used it for two seasons(she got it as a hand me down). Its been a great fork and I actually prefer the feel of it over my current RS Lyrik. I am very picky about my suspension and I think it says a lot about the Manitou line of forks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got my fork todayy and installed it on the bike. It looks and feels great so far but I didn't get a chance to ride yet.

I won't take it apart yet to switch it to 100mm. I want to ride and see how it feels before I tear it apart. I also want to learn more about suspension tuning before turning any of the knobs on the fork, since I don't know what each adjustment does.

I'm wondering if this guide is a good start or is it outdated?
    http://www.spoke-n-word-cycles.com/T...g%20Manual.pdf

Thanks for all your help guys!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So I took the new fork out for a ride yesterday and it really is like riding a new bike, night and day difference.

I did some reading and figured out the basics of suspension adjustments. Now it's all about riding and dialing in the settings.

I am thinking of setting the fork to 100mm of travel since that's what the bike came with. Can anyone tell me if I can plug the 2 bottom holes while removing the lowers so I won't have to deal with removing the oil and adding new oil?

I read the service manual on how to change the ACT air travel but if anyone know of any tricks to make it simpler, that would be appreciated, since I'm not overhauling the fork.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2