mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Worth it to send in Bomber 66's for service?

So over a year ago I bought a set of used Bomber 66's off ebay for ~$180, and they seemed to work fine initially, however the 'uncut steerer' was actually cut a lot, as compared to my previous Bomber drop off ii (130mm) fork I had to remove .75" of spacers to get the top cap flush.

Then the right side leg started to get coated in oil.

Marzocchi wants $75 to replace the steerer, and about $110 + tax and shipping to service the shock, with a 6 month warranty on the repair work "if the stanchions are in good condition"

There's a couple of visible nicks on the upper stanchion leg on the side that leaks, that I can barely feel if I run my fingernail past them. The legs are black and the marked areas show silver so the finish has been messed up there. The marks are not deep and I'm pretty confident I could wet sand them out with 2000 grit and then coat with something like a black nail polish, wet sand then use car rubbing compound to blend and never be able to tell they were there.

What would you do?

I don't think I could go out and buy a "better" fork for anywhere near what I'll have into it when done (~$180 + ~$200). I've been very happy with how the forks feel and the bike rides even with the leaky fork leg.

I'm just worried when I send it in they may say 'sorry no warranty your stanchions are fubar' and I'll blow the cost of shipping both ways...

So I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have experience with getting service work done by Marzocchi in Long Beach, and if so did any problems pop up and what were they options they gave you? They quoted me a 2 week turnaround which sucks but I'm in the middle of a total rebuild of my bike and going out of town this weekend starting tomorrow anyways, so if I ship it out it's going tomorrow so if all goes well I'll only miss 1 weekend of riding...
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

RIP Friendgirl

How old is it?

Only you can make the call,but be aware that depending on what year your 66 is there are limited replacement parts (mainly cartridges) that could spell trouble. Unless you go crazy for an Avalanche replacement...
    SPD pedals are an absolute menace to the well-being of the world, and ought be banned immediately.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    2013 Trek/Gary Fisher Rumblefish Elite XXL/23"
    120mm 29er

2004 Santa Cruz Bullitt XL White
    170mm 26er

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you can deal with its current steerer lenght, I recommand you fix the stancion, change de seals and the oil yourself. Marzocchi's of tha era are really easy to work on. Save the money and upgrade in a year or two for a more recent fork.

mtbr member
    Besides weight, the 66 is an excellent fork. There hasnt been much in the way of real upgrades since.

Id keep an eye out for uppers on ebay with a longer steer tube... or maybe an entire new 66 and sell off yours.

The 110 bucks sounds like they're going to change your oil and replace your seals. You could do that yourself in about an hour or so at home with no special tools. Might run you 20-40 in parts and oil.

mtbr member
    Contact Marzocchi USA direct they are easy to work with and willing to help out in what ever way. I had some 2007 888 RC2X VA forks with damaged stanchions, and they helped me out out and I got New Stanchions, Lowers and seals for less than I expected.

+1 the forks are super easy to work on, and if you are looking to, the Enduro Seals have worked great for me.