mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Will a tapered fork fit?

2010 Kona Cindercone

konaworld

Currently has a straight 1 1/8 fork (RS Tora)

If i get a new headset will a tapered fork fit, or is this not possible?

thanks!

mtbr member
    It looks like your current headset may be ZS (Zero Stack - internal) but you would have to check the site does not say. If it is standard ZS 44MM you can buy just a lower cup, Cane Creek makes one ( model EC44/40/H12/K ... I think) which will put the 1.5" cup outside of your lower headset shell. Since the cup is now outside it will add 10 or so mm increase to the height of the front of the bike, this makes the head angle a half of a degree or so slacker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Pretty sure it is ZS

Long story short then:

The frame isnt physically a limitation its just I need the right headset (bottom cup or entire set) for it to work.

Many Thanks

mtbr member
    No limitation, ZS frame owners have a good shot to use a tapered fork. Straight external cup 1 1/8, no shot that I'm aware of.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a 2005 Specialized FSR XC Comp, headset says: "1 1/8� threadless, black steel cups, loose ball bearings with seals"

Looks like thread less is the same as ZS?
    2005 FSR XC Comp
    2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact

mtbr member
    The info you gave doesn't actually contain the answer to your question, but your '05 is almost certainly external cup (EC).

The new headset description standard (SHIS) is really good for cutting down on this confusion. You might read 1 1/8 (a steer tube diameter) for a couple different sized headsets...

It's all about the inner diameter (ID) of the head tube at the top and the bottom, measured in millimeters.

Old school "1 1/8 straight" is EC34|28.6/EC34|30

It breaks down EC (external cup) that fits a 34 mm ID head tube, with a 28.6 mm (1 1/8 in.) steer tube on top, and same on the bottom (except the crown race fits over a slight bulge at the bottom, and so the steer tube diameter is a little bigger

"Threadless" is every headset that doesn't have a threaded top to the steer tube, like you would find on a quill-type stem bike (old or cheap or both).

All anybody needs is a little ruler in millimeters and the great fit finder on the Cane Creek site if they have any questions.

Save Jesus
    I got this from the Cane Creek website:

"Please note: Nominal insertion bore depth for 44mm head-tubes is 9mm. EC44/40 requires an insertion depth of 15mm. Park Tool Reamer 788 should be used with the supplied spacer to reach the 15mm bore depth for EC44/40 Bottoms."

But my headtube looks like it is only wide for 9mm and then tapers down. So I am not particularly inclined to cut another 6mm into the frame and possibly weaken it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Snfoilhat View Post
    The info you gave doesn't actually contain the answer to your question, but your '05 is almost certainly external cup (EC).

The new headset description standard (SHIS) is really good for cutting down on this confusion. You might read 1 1/8 (a steer tube diameter) for a couple different sized headsets...

It's all about the inner diameter (ID) of the head tube at the top and the bottom, measured in millimeters.

Old school "1 1/8 straight" is EC34|28.6/EC34|30

It breaks down EC (external cup) that fits a 34 mm ID head tube, with a 28.6 mm (1 1/8 in.) steer tube on top, and same on the bottom (except the crown race fits over a slight bulge at the bottom, and so the steer tube diameter is a little bigger

"Threadless" is every headset that doesn't have a threaded top to the steer tube, like you would find on a quill-type stem bike (old or cheap or both).

All anybody needs is a little ruler in millimeters and the great fit finder on the Cane Creek site if they have any questions.
    Cane Creek's headset finder gives me:

SHIS:EC34/28.6|EC34/30 (1-1/8" Traditional Standard)
    2005 FSR XC Comp
    2012 Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact

mtbr member
    Totally. So zero stack (ZS) typically becomes a possibility with head tubes at least 44 mm. That's ZS w/ a 1 1/8 steerer, 30 mm crown race.
    For example ZS44/28.6|ZS44/30

44 is also the smallest you can fit a 1.5" straight or tapered steerer into, though only as an external cup.
    For example ZS44/28.6|EC44/40

Eventually you get to a big enough head tube (49? 54?) that you can fit a ZS and a 1.5"/taper steerer.

But w/ few (or no?) exceptions, 34 mm head tubes are EC only, 1 1/8" steerer only