mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Will a 1997 Bomber Z1 4" travel stanchion fit 2000 5" Z1 QR20?

I have a large scratch in my QR20 stanchion and have a Z1 4" BAM that I am not using. Would the stanction from the Z1 4" fit the 5" QR20?

Or will the longer travel cartidge and springs from the 5" QR20 fit the 4" Z1 BAM?

mtbr member
    no on both counts

29 some of the time...
    I dunno. Can't say that I ever tried it. Most of the 97-2000 stuff can be swapped around a bit. The main issue you run into was the shorter travel forks had shallower castings for the lowers. The 5in internals would not work on the shorter stanchions. However you may be able to run the qr20 lowers on the 4in fork. Best bet is to drop the lowers and check for yourself. Worst case you are out a couple of bucks for oil to put the forks back together.

You could also patch the 5in stanchion. Depending how bad it is it could be as simple as a bit of nail polish or as complicated as filling with jb weld and sanding smooth. Many folks on the board have done these types of repairs.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks guys for the replies. Not gonna work. As mentioned the 4" travel fork is too shallow. I can't use the QR20 lowers because I don't have a wheel for it. In other words, I am screwed all the way around. I loved those older forks because I am familiar with working on them and they are so simple and work well. I just put up an ad in the wanted section, it looks like some used ones pop up now and then for the 130mm standard drop out Z1 pre-2001 but I get the impression that not very many were brought to the USA with the standard drop outs.

If that becomes too hard to find I would think I should beable to put the lower 5" Junior T legs on the Qr20 uppers and internals and have it work and maybe try and smooth out the scratches on the stanchions?

Thanks again.