mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Why I'm I so far from Rockshox pressure recommendation?

I have a 2013 Revelation RCT3 fork. It was the standard solo air but I converted it to dual position air with new air spring internals (150/120). It was a very easy conversion.

I weigh 174 pounds:
    For a 160-180 pound rider, RS recommends 85-115 psi (for the solo air) and 125-140 psi for the dual position air.
    Since I have the dual position spring now, I should be in the 125-140 psi range according to RS. I am now at 90 psi and it feels good. It is smooth through the range of travel and doesn't dive. I have about 25% static sag in the long travel setting. I am still not getting full travel. The o-ring is always 20mm from the crown after a fairly hard ride. This is in the open damper setting and no compression damping at all. I feel like I might even need to drop the pressure down to 85psi. If I let all the air out of the spring, I can get it to fully compress so it isn't a spacer or bump stop issue.

I can imagine being a bit lower than RS recommends; However, I am at 85 psi and they recommend 125. That's not even in the same ballpark.
    Any thoughts?

Class Clown
    I run a fair bit less on my Recon too. It recommends around 100 for my weight and the travel, 180 and 120 respectively, and I have it set at 75. Maybe it's a liability thing. Low pressure with no compression damping or open floodgate setting could potentially send someone OTB when braking. So they recommend a stiffer fork setup. I don't know, just guessing. I just ride with what feels right.

Curious to see how other setup their air.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Why I'm I so far from Rockshox pressure recommendation?

My buddy has a revelation xx wc dual air (2012 I think) that he runs way under recommended pressure. He likes it squishy though so maybe it's just a preference thing.

Class Clown
    true enough, I like a soft spring with a bit of LSC

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have a Reba that I ride at 90-100 psi. I weigh over 200 geared up which would put me at over 135 if I followed their guidelines. I do like it soft though.

Lightly salted
    I have a Revelation rlt ti and run lower psi then recommended. Same thing on my Fox 36 160mm fork. Its best to adjust to feel and just use the stated psi as a starting point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The only fork i've ever got close to running at recommended pressure is my 55CR. From memory my Revelation is way off recommended pressure.