mtbr member

Why did Rock Shox discontinue U-Turn Air forks?

I am considering buying a used u-turn air fork, like a pike 454. It just makes me wonder why they dont make them still (please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Seems like u-turn external adjustments on a sturdy air fork would be pretty nice

also, i would be interested in other model suggestions than the pike 454

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    I am considering buying a used u-turn air fork, like a pike 454. It just makes me wonder why they dont make them still (please correct me if I'm wrong about that).

Seems like u-turn external adjustments on a sturdy air fork would be pretty nice

also, i would be interested in other model suggestions than the pike 454
    Don't know if they were more costly to produce or suffered more reliability issues (they did have a top out clunk problem reported) but in my experience I just left mine @ one travel setting. Initially I thought it would be great to run different travel settings but after 1 one ride I was satisfied w/ full travel. Also, running the fork lowered for climbing wasn't an "on the fly" adjustment.

mtbr member
    I think it's that the dual position air they have now is more of an 'on the fly' type thing, where the u-turn required you to dial down through small steps. I guess they found, or believe, that most riders want a high and low travel setting without much in between.

mtbr member
    OK that makes a lot of sense. I am planning on putting it on a hard tail that is supposed to ride well for both street/DJ and single track so the adjustability is key esp since I don't know exactly what I'll like best yet.

But yeah, it seems that if I knew what I wanted 2 settings would be enough

Thanks

Outcast
    Spam; I have a pike dual air, u-turn Push industries Factory tune fork sitting in my garage, waiting for a purpose. PM me if this is of interest to you.

mtbr member
    Reliability, weight and the fact that they found out that people really don't use it. I mean really, who wants to stop right before that climb, lose your momentum and crank your fork down. Then you have to stop and crank it up before going back down. Where I ride, I'd spend half the time cranking my fork up and down.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    Reliability, weight and the fact that they found out that people really don't use it. I mean really, who wants to stop right before that climb, lose your momentum and crank your fork down. Then you have to stop and crank it up before going back down. Where I ride, I'd spend half the time cranking my fork up and down.
    I think this is why, changing my Tora 289 U-Turn from minimum 85mm to maximum 130mm takes a ton of turns and probably over a minute of time, so I just leave it at full travel.

The new Dual Position mechanism apparently only takes 1/4 turn to go from minimum to maximum so I imagine it would be much more useful.