mtbr member
    Aug 2010

White Brothers SC90 fork - misaligned bushing

One of the things which needed servicing on my bike was the front shock. So I downloaded a manual, disassembled the shock, cleaned it out the best I could, applied a small amount of grease to keep things smooth while I wait for some more grease, put everything back together, and slid the legs onto the uppers. And that's where a problem was found - One of the inner bushings on the left leg was bent, and prevented the leg set from sliding fully onto the uppers. After trying to use a PVC pipe and a hammer to move the bushing slightly to where it would allow the uppers to freely slide through it to no avail, I forced the legs onto the uppers, hoping that maybe this would re-align the bushing enough for some freedom. Now, the shock is able to compress and retract, but there is definitely a lot of undue wear on the part of the upper in contact, as well as the bushing.

At first, I figured I would let the two sand eachother down, so that eventually, I'd have a smoother shock. After reading that it is a very bad idea to let the anodizing wear down, I'm now looking for another alternative. The two choices I see are
    1. somehow mount/tape some sandpaper around a PVC pipe and sand the bushing down a bit. This might free it up for now, but make a worse problem down the road.
    2. Try to re-align the bushing using the Pipe-and-hammer method and more persistence.

If your not quite sure what I'm talking about, I can try to take a picture, but as this is the inner bushing of the leg, it's difficult to see, too far in to stick a finger in to see if something is protruding from it. Sticking just the other leg on an upper is very smooth with no binding whatsoever. I don't know if this problem existed before I opened the shock or not, but it seems to be a problem now.

Any ideas on what I should do?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bump...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Have the bushings replaced---period