mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Where to get good old fashioned fork boots

I have been pondering this for a while. I will get flamed for it but why the heck did we ever ditch the fork boots of old. Sure they can trap grime but so can bad fork seal designs. And now days we all know the real key is to pull the lowers early and often. Any fork not serviced will be subject to damage. But I have twice now had rocks gouge the finish of a fox fork leading to the coating wearing off and oil seepage and eventually wearing into the aluminum of the stanchions. This included my new kashima coat fork. it seems like old fashioned boots would do no harm when the fork is serviced regularly and may very well stop gouges from crashes ect. Its not like new stanchions are immaterial at $150+. At the moment my kashima coat fork needs new stanchions and I am thinking about putting old skool boots on when I replace the enduro seals that have been ruined in short order due to the coating having a nick. To be sure the enduros failing quick has nothing to do with there quality and is all about the damage caused by actually riding. Well that and a lousy fox bushing design that eats stanchions for breakfast any time any thing is even slightly out of whack.

Save Jesus
    Don't forget lizard skins or cut sections of inner tube.

One problem these days is that at full compression, the lip of the seal is pretty close to the crown. So they boot somehow has to be able to compress down a LOT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Don't forget lizard skins or cut sections of inner tube.
    Those are worse than nothing, since they'll trap dirt and keep it pressed against the stanchion.

I never liked fork boots, so I'm fine with getting rid of them in favor of better wipers and seals.

PMK
    mtbr member
    FWIW, search for Daystar products.

These are their MTB fork boots, no doubt for old Mag 21 or Manitou EFC style forks.

Hit the fork boots main page and you will see pages of fork boots in various colors and general sizes plus some for specific model of moto forks.

It mat take a few minutes of checking the online catalog, but something should work.

Daystar MX

PK
    Reps! We don't need no stickin' reps!

mtbr member
    They lost fork boots to shave a few grams and let people see the pretty anodised stanchions. It was a shame, it is always better to keep crud off the stanchions than to try and scrape it off later. The protection factor is real too.

But don't use lizard skin boots or anything else that is tight on the stanchion.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz and NZ Manitou Service Agent.
    www.dougal.co.nz Suspension setup & tuning.
    SPV Devolve