mtbr member

Where is bottom of DHX Air 4.0?

I'm a little confused about where the "bottom-out" is of the DHX Air 4.0. Is the bottom the absolute end of the shock body? Or is the bottom some pressure-limit say, an inch above the bottom of the shock body? At my current settings (I'm 150 and have PSI in main chamber at 160, boost valve 160) I have not technically bottomed out the shock (bottom of the shock body) but I'm not sure if I am just confused as to what constitutes bottoming out.

mtbr member
    Shock is bottoming out when it makes contact with internal bottom out bumper (in DHX Air it is a small O-ring) and there might still be exposed stanchion tube / shock body visible when it happens (depends on the length and the stroke of the shock). Softly bottoming out the shock on biggest hits is ok but if you get harsh bottom out then you should adjust damping (or air spring).

There is no actual Bottom Out adjuster in DHX Air 4.0. but I have personally adjusted (increased) Bottom Out by putting a very small amount of oil in the piggyback / IFP-chamber (Bottom Out can also be decreased by slightly repositioning IFP deeper but you might need to bleed/service the shock when removing IFP bleed screw). That does the same thing (adjusts IFP-chamber volume) as adjuster would in DHX Air 5.0.

Edit: Just to give you an example when 200x57 mm shock bottoms out you have only about the thickness of the internal O-ring of shock body / stanchion tube visible but when 200x50 mm shock bottoms out you have about 7 mm + O-ring thickness shock body visible. And this is because both shocks are quite similar and most parts are exacly the same (as far as I can remember the only thing that is different is shock body cap thickness).