mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What's the Marzocchi equivalent to the Fox Float 100RLC?

Just curious if anyone is riding a Blur with a Marzocchi 100mm fork? I know the majority of Blurs have Fox and maybe the majority of those are Float 100's, so I'm just looking for something similiar to the Float but just alternative and as good as the Fox. Preferably something in the Marzocchi line not exceeding 100mm.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

I would say ...

what you are looking for is a 105mm Marzocchi Marathon SL (doppio air), or a 105mm Marathon S (although this one is coil, more in the Fox Vanilla area). I could be mistaken though....

I hope this helps,
    Cris

Quote Originally Posted by DALI
    Just curious if anyone is riding a Blur with a Marzocchi 100mm fork? I know the majority of Blurs have Fox and maybe the majority of those are Float 100's, so I'm just looking for something similiar to the Float but just alternative and as good as the Fox. Preferably something in the Marzocchi line not exceeding 100mm.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    what you are looking for is a 105mm Marzocchi Marathon SL (doppio air), or a 105mm Marathon S (although this one is coil, more in the Fox Vanilla area). I could be mistaken though....

I hope this helps,
    Cris
    That sounds about right. You're getting the (R)ebound, (L)ockout in the form of ECC (much better than just lockout in my opinion) and (C)ompression adjustments (Doppio Air - I don't think Fox is a dual air setup like the Marz. so it probably has a mechanical preload adjustment in the form of a spring? I'm not an expert on that...).

The Fox is probably stiffer in the sense that it has the thicker stantions. But the Marathon is still an excellent fork and cheaper, with better seals. I guy I ride with has utterly abused his Marathon and it's still going strong (with regular maint. of course). Fox tends to have leaky seals...see some of the posts on this board.
    Last edited by chad1433; 09-28-2004 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    My Blur initially came with a 100RLC. I sold it and replaced with the Marathon SL. Contrary to most opinions on this board, I liked the marathon much better. Once you got the the marzocchi dialed, I found it to be much more plush than the Fox. You can't beat the ECC lockout either!

mtbr member

Try the Marathon SL.......

I have a 2004 Blur currently using a 125 mm 2001 RS Psylo Race air w/ lockout. I am about to replace it with a 2004 Marz. 120 mm Marathon SL from Supergo at $330. I do trail riding mainly, so not concerned with the "race geometry". The Blur performs well at 100-105 mm travel, but I find the 5" front travel helps technical downhills for me, and elevates the bb for clearing rocks better. The trade-off might be going up steep hills, or twitchy steering, but this hasn't been noticable in this bike with the proper stem length and seat adjustment. I am running thru the waranty soon, so not a major issue. If you can find the 105 mm SL at a good price, so much the better. It seems the 'Zokes are performing as well as Fox, with much less retail cost, IMO. Will have the see about their stiffness, as they come in around 3.6 lbs. with a cut steerer tube. I am combating my concerns about head tube welds and slightly altered geometry by 1) the longer head tube in the L/XL Blur; 2) Using a good headset (CK or CC); and 3) keeping the steerer length shorter and going without spacers at the stem. Time will tell if this was a good choice. Good luck with your decision!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DALI
    That would be the Marathon SL 105. It's a very good fork. If I had to choose between the Fox Air and the Marz air forks....I'd go with the Fox. I don't want to have to deal with negative pressures.

If you're the type that likes to fiddle with pressure settings to get the perfect setup...then go Marz. It really is a good fork. I currently run the coil version on one bike. I prefer the easy to use Fox air forks....if I was going to use an air fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I've used the Float, Marathon SL 105, TALAS & now the 05' TALAS.

As said before - If you like tinkering go for the Marathon. Also keep in mind when using the lockdown it will flex the fork a bit and can cause the disk to rub your caliper, and it will be noticeable.

The Set-It-And-Forget-It user friendlyness of the Fox is a really nice feature, not to mention they are stiffer and IMO just as tuneable but much easier to tune.....

My own question to other Marz owners - Does everyone with a Doppio Marathon get Oil-Blowback when disconecting their pumps or is it just me????