mtbr member
    Apr 2010

What's causing this black gunk? - Rockshox Ario RL

This happens when I ride, some kind of smudging/smearing of black gunk, easily wipes off but comes right back. I don't ride in any black dirt or anything, and it doesn't seem like a normal thing for a shock to be doing, but I don't know a lot about it. Any suggestions on what might be causing it or if I should get it looked at would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's causing this black gunk? - Rockshox Ario RL-screen-shot-2012-07-30-1.22.12-pm.jpg  

moaaar shimz
    Seems like the air can glide ring and/or wiper is wearing off due to side loading.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    What would be causing the side loading? Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to take it to my shop?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone have an idea on this? My 8 month old lyrik rc2dh just started doing this yesterday only on the damper side on the outside. When I twisted the lsc knob all the way out (counter-clockwise) it makes a pressure release sound now. Will SRAM even consider fixing this under warranty?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    They might fix it, I was past a year on mine so they didn't, I just needed a new seal kit though apparently one of them was bad

mtbr member
    Dry seals

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011
    Yeah I would bring your fork into a shop that can service it if you don't know how to do it. Should take care of it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    My 2011 Spec. Camber Comp came with Rockshox Ario RL rear shock also. After 9 months My shock is doing the same thing Black gunk lines like in first pic.WTF? I took my bike back to the dealer, but they said it was normal. How is this normal? What should I do? The black crap seems to be getting worse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah I took it in to have the seals replaced and that did it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    WHen I use to work for Delta, we were required to wipe down the landing gear struts every day with hydraulic fluid. The cleaning of the strut helped remove grit and also lubed the cylinder so the seals would last.