Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What's better Marzocchi Roco Air RC World Cup or the TST air?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Clutchman83 
#1 ·
I have VPFREE running on dhx 5 coil...want to reduce weight...which one to choose? or go with dhx air?
i am 85 kg.

#4 ·
Only if you climb with that bike, and it is a great climber for what it is, then this is how I would look at it.

If you like to stand and mash, get the TST. It literally quite nearly locks out the shock when cranked to it's max setting. I have one on my Norco Shore and love it. You can also pop the adjuster lever off and take out the spring and ball detent system if you want to make it super fine tuneable. In the first half of the throw it acts a bit like a high/low speed combo adjuster, second half it works more like a quasi-lockout that firms the shock but still gives a bit.

If you're a sit and spin kind of rider then get the WC. It gives you a dedicated high speed compression adjuster which allows for more fine tuning of the shock. If the TST is a machete when it comes to damping the WC is more like a scalpel. If you only use it for downhilling, no climbing involved I'd go with this shock.

I haven't had my Rocco for long enough to be able to comment on it's reliability, and I have a coil but I think the damper is superior to the DHX's from what I've experienced. I'm looking forward to the snow melting on the high trails in my area to be able to give it a proper flogging. I have a buddy with a WC air on his Blindside and he really likes it for descending.

#8 ·
Is the only difference between the 2 the adjuster and it's resolution or is there a difference in the damper circuits also?

thanks,

-Sp

Clutchman83 said:
Only if you climb with that bike, and it is a great climber for what it is, then this is how I would look at it.

If you like to stand and mash, get the TST. It literally quite nearly locks out the shock when cranked to it's max setting. I have one on my Norco Shore and love it. You can also pop the adjuster lever off and take out the spring and ball detent system if you want to make it super fine tuneable. In the first half of the throw it acts a bit like a high/low speed combo adjuster, second half it works more like a quasi-lockout that firms the shock but still gives a bit.

If you're a sit and spin kind of rider then get the WC. It gives you a dedicated high speed compression adjuster which allows for more fine tuning of the shock. If the TST is a machete when it comes to damping the WC is more like a scalpel. If you only use it for downhilling, no climbing involved I'd go with this shock.

I haven't had my Rocco for long enough to be able to comment on it's reliability, and I have a coil but I think the damper is superior to the DHX's from what I've experienced. I'm looking forward to the snow melting on the high trails in my area to be able to give it a proper flogging. I have a buddy with a WC air on his Blindside and he really likes it for descending.

#9 ·
SinglePivot said:
Is the only difference between the 2 the adjuster and it's resolution or is there a difference in the damper circuits also?

thanks,

-Sp
The actual damper designs are different I'm pretty sure of. Might want to shoot MarzocchiTechDepartment (Tom from Marzocchi) a PM regarding this question as I don't have any experience digging around in the internals of the Roccos.

I believe the TST function uses a bypass circuit that can be opened or closed to adjust fluid flow while the WC uses a needle valve for adjustment, could be wrong though.

#10 ·
Clutchman83 said:

Can you run BO pressure below 170psi? Do ever notice bottoming issue or not being able use full travel?

#11 ·
SingleTrackHound said:
Can you run BO pressure below 170psi? Do ever notice bottoming issue or not being able use full travel?
My coil says to use 180-220 psi and I currently have it set to 180 psi. No issues with not using full travel, I've clunked the bike before. Actually just reminded me I meant to bump the pressure up to 190 and see how that felt. Still waiting for the trails in my area to melt off fully. I think I've got about two weeks yet, take my impressions with a grain of salt as most of the riding I've gotten in has been at the local dirt jumps, a piss poor flat excuse for a downhill trail, and Colonnade bike park in Seattle. It will get flogged as soon as the snow is gone.

#13 ·
SingleTrackHound said:
I thought you have the air version. I have a new 08 TST Air coming my way. That is why asked.

I have an 07 Roco air (non-piggyback reservoir model) that I could never use last 20% of the stroke...even on 33% sag.
I ride a coil TST and have ridden a WC air. Sorry for the confusion. I don't think there would be a huge difference in comparing damper performance regarding which spring it uses. Specific settings are probably not interchangeable though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.