Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

whats all the hype with triple crown forks?

i've noticed triple crown forks have been becoming increasingly popular the past few months. so whats the big deal about them?

Gravity Tester
    Popular amongst aggressive trail riders / free riders / and downhillers. With a double crown fork, you can have longer travel without trying to manage all the twisting and bending forces with a single crown. This yields a stronger, less twist prone, beefier front end which is often desireable in those types of riding.

XC riders shun them due to weight, but I'd bet if you could deliver a dual crown fork under 4.5 lbs they might be interested for similar handling improvement reasons.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss
    Popular amongst aggressive trail riders / free riders / and downhillers. With a double crown fork, you can have longer travel without trying to manage all the twisting and bending forces with a single crown. This yields a stronger, less twist prone, beefier front end which is often desireable in those types of riding.

XC riders shun them due to weight, but I'd bet if you could deliver a dual crown fork under 4.5 lbs they might be interested for similar handling improvement reasons.
    Maverick DUC -- dual crown, 6" travel, a little under 4 pounds. They are popular out here for XC, trail riding.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by smalbikpro
    i've noticed triple crown forks have been becoming increasingly popular the past few months. so whats the big deal about them?
    Stiff and deep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalbikpro
    whats all the hype with triple crown forks?
    What's a triple crown fork? Where does the 3rd crown go....

www.derbyrims.com

Triple clamp/duel crown

Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    What's a triple crown fork? Where does the 3rd crown go....
    The real term is triple clamp (including the axle clamp), with duel crowns above and below the head tube.

Stiffer than single crown.

Don't skid
    Actually I think that overall dual crown are decreasing in popularity (except in DH racing and extreme freeriding conditions) do to the increased number of long travel (6+ inches) single crown forks. And dual crown forks have been poplular for a lot longer than the last few months.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Whatever
    Specialized has their 2007 Enduro coming with their new in-house developed triple clamp fork, that supposedly is around 4lbs. I have a Maverick and can tell you it is WAY stiffer than a single crown. And it is 3.9lbs. You can blast through a rock garden and the front wheel still goes where you want it to...no deflection.

Who are the brain police?
    Come on now, my Zoke 66 can hang with the dubs and trips.
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by MINImtnbiker
    Specialized has their 2007 Enduro coming with their new in-house developed triple clamp fork, that supposedly is around 4lbs. I have a Maverick and can tell you it is WAY stiffer than a single crown. And it is 3.9lbs. You can blast through a rock garden and the front wheel still goes where you want it to...no deflection.
    Specialized developed a fork? Hardly ...

stratos sued and out of business...

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Whatever
    Interesting...Specialized still is bringing to market a lightweight triple crown, whether or not they developed it.

Regarding the Zoke 66...sure, but that is a 6 1/2 pound freeride fork. The Maverick DUC32 is under 4 pounds. The Specialized is supposedly 4 1/2 pounds. Supposedly -- and this may be marketing BS -- triples are not as stressful to frames because for the same travel fork, the triple spreads loads on the top and bottom of the head tube. Someone with an actual engineering background should be able to call BS on that claim if that is not true.

Point is, "hype" or not, folks are starting to use triple crowns for more than DH/freeride. I think that was the original question.

Goathead Gladiator
    the nice thing about a single crown freeride fork is you get all the weight without the stiffness :-)

Just another FOC'er
    Interesting...Specialized still is bringing to market a lightweight triple crown, whether or not they developed it.

Regarding the Zoke 66...sure, but that is a 6 1/2 pound freeride fork. The Maverick DUC32 is under 4 pounds. The Specialized is supposedly 4 1/2 pounds. Supposedly -- and this may be marketing BS -- triples are not as stressful to frames because for the same travel fork, the triple spreads loads on the top and bottom of the head tube. Someone with an actual engineering background should be able to call BS on that claim if that is not true.

Point is, "hype" or not, folks are starting to use triple crowns for more than DH/freeride. I think that was the original question.
    Actually, because they're stiffer the peak shear force to the headtube is higher than an SC fork. That's why a lot of frame manufactures say no DC forks.

Ultimately, if an SC was equally stiff the top and bottom headset races would see the same forces as a DC fork. I think some are getting close.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans
    the nice thing about a single crown freeride fork is you get all the weight without the stiffness :-)
    Nahh. Single crowns are usually lighter. Plus, they are more versatile for tricks and have a longer turning radius.
    I personally think that long travel SC look pimp
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by K'Endo
    Specialized developed a fork? Hardly ...

stratos sued and out of business...

Kn.
    That has little to nothing to do with Spec. designing their own fork. I do not like what they have done to Stratos (and others) but it is mostly OT here.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I think that its almost the other way around you see more single crown forks then you do dual crown or triple clamp's like for example look at the 07 glory in my opinion its one of the best DH bikes out there and its got a 07 66 which is a single crown fork also now lots of newer single crown fork's are starting to have as much travel as some dual crown fork's do.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

Use this space for what?
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    The real term is triple clamp (including the axle clamp), with duel crowns above and below the head tube.

Stiffer than single crown.

Actually, the crowns themselves are called triple clamps, because they clamp 3 things, the 2 fork tubes and the steerer.
    '08 Cannondale SystemSIX 4
    '07 Bianchi MUSS - with trick bits
    '04 Kona Stinky - Sold!
    '86 Miele

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    That has little to nothing to do with Spec. designing their own fork. I do not like what they have done to Stratos (and others) but it is mostly OT here.
    Well actually, Spec's use of loopholes in patent laws to steal designs, bully competitors out of business and then call the designs their own has a lot to do with whether or not they've designed their own fork.

Whether or not it is on or off topic, I find their behaviour so objectionable that it's worth taking every opportunity to expose it whenever and wherever possible. Specialized has shown a trend toward using lawyers and threatened lawsuits to get rid of smaller competitors and we should all be absolutely enraged by such conduct.

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Me hates pinchflat
    Quote Originally Posted by xKREDx
    I think that its almost the other way around you see more single crown forks then you do dual crown or triple clamp's like for example look at the 07 glory in my opinion its one of the best DH bikes out there and its got a 07 66 which is a single crown fork also now lots of newer single crown fork's are starting to have as much travel as some dual crown fork's do.
    The glory that comes with the 66 is the Glory 8 model for freeride. The Glory DH comes with a double crown fox 40
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    "jesus would huck it"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    i have found the 1.5" headtubes to be slightly larger in diameter than 1 1/8", plus or minus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 545cu4ch
    The glory that comes with the 66 is the Glory 8 model for freeride. The Glory DH comes with a double crown fox 40
    Oh I thought that the glory with the 66 was the DH verson. I never knew that giant made a glory for freeride thats cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

MTK
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

K'Endo,

Well actually, Spec's use of loopholes in patent laws to steal designs, bully competitors out of business and then call the designs their own has a lot to do with whether or not they've designed their own fork.

Whether or not it is on or off topic, I find their behaviour so objectionable that it's worth taking every opportunity to expose it whenever and wherever possible. Specialized has shown a trend toward using lawyers and threatened lawsuits to get rid of smaller competitors and we should all be absolutely enraged by such conduct.

I am enraged by such conduct,and thanks for the link. Good read,and let us not
    forget Mnt.Cycle. I still cant beleive that story. They make such a fine bike
    as well. I would love to Crush his empire,if only I had the money.

MTK{ I thought Shimano was the Evil Empire?}

banned
    I have a Maverick and can tell you it is WAY stiffer than a single crown. And it is 3.9lbs. You can blast through a rock garden and the front wheel still goes where you want it to...no deflection.
    That is such a load of crap that your post looks brown on my monitor.

(DUC32 owner who is currently riding a single crown that is stiffer, deflects much less AND doesn't have incredibly primitive dampning that relegates the DUC32 to "also ran" status.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    be wary that turning radius will decrease...you can find 170 mm single crowns
    "He can make even a global summit meeting seem like a kegger." M. Dowd, NY Times, 19 July 2006

just along for the ride
    Indeed turning radius is the problem with 3 clampers, almost impossible at time to clear switchbacks on the steep climbs.

Just another FOC'er
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Indeed turning radius is the problem with 3 clampers, almost impossible at time to clear switchbacks on the steep climbs.
    Both of mine allow at least 70 degrees, maybe more. I think most people run too thick bumper stops.

I never bang my knees either

The biggest drawbacks on the triples for me are that I can't switch forks around quite as easily, and no X-ups. Not that I'm losing a lot on that 2nd issue considering my half a$$ed style

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast