Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

What are you using to pump your air shock?

I recently installed a RockShox solo air fork which has a shrader valve for air inlet/outlet and was wondering if it is necessary to buy a shock-specific air pump with built-in dial gauge.

Could I just use a small air compressor or are these shocks that finicky that a bike-specific pump is necessary? I haven't even attempted to use the air compressor but also wouldn't mind saving $40 if I can.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I'd buy a shock pump. The volumes of air are small, and would you be able to get the precise pressure you wanted using a compressor?

Here's one on eBay now for only $24:

Rock Shox HP Shock Pump 300psi | eBay

mtbr member
    Yeah that's the advice people seem to be giving outside of this forum after a google search -- buy a shock pump.

Went to a LBS today and other than charging $6 for a star nut he wanted over $50 for the shock pump (Cannondale brand) which is where I came up with the idea to use my air compressor.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Did you buy the fork NIB? When I bought my RS Reba it came with a pump. Yes, I recommend a shock/fork pump.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    Did you buy the fork NIB? When I bought my RS Reba it came with a pump. Yes, I recommend a shock/fork pump.
    Yes, I bought the fork NIB. It is a RockShox Recon Gold and did not come with a pump.

I'm digging the the pumps with an attached hose. Probably make it easier to maneuver the pump and for better positioning when in place.

Chamois Dropper
    I have a RavX and a marzocchi . I like the RavX because it has a little release on the shraeder fitting so you don't lose as much air when you unscrew it. I think it was about 30 bucks. The marzocchi works better for low pressure forks, IMO.
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    I have a topeak dxg shock pump. It's small and convenient to put in my camelbak in case I need to tune mid-ride, which is pretty rare unless I'm on a new trail.

FWIW, my new Fox fork didn't come with a shock pump.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sette Air 2 ST-35 Universal Shock Pump at Price Point

This is what I use. Not bad for a $25 pump.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SteezusChrist View Post
    +1
    I had two shock pumps because they came with my bikes. Sold one for cheap to a friend.

mtbr member
    An air compressor will blow your fork/shock up. Even if you could use an air compressor, you would lose all the air when you check the pressure with a gauge. You have to use shock/fork pump. You never lose air from the fork/shock when you unscrew the pump. The air you hear is the air coming out of the hose of the pump. Don't tighten the pump on to hard.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    I have a topeak dxg shock pump. It's small and convenient to put in my camelbak in case I need to tune mid-ride, which is pretty rare unless I'm on a new trail.

FWIW, my new Fox fork didn't come with a shock pump.
    +1 on what he said. I just got the X-Fusion Slide 29er and needed a pump. Got mine off Amazon for under $30. Easy to use and quick inflation plus has a built-in valve in the connector so you don't lose air pressure when you unscrew it.
    2011 Sirrus Sport
    2012 Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

I don't know everything but I can always find someone that does.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help everyone!

I ended up buying a new RockShox pump for $25 shipped off ebay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robit View Post
    +1 on what he said. I just got the X-Fusion Slide 29er and needed a pump. Got mine off Amazon for under $30. Easy to use and quick inflation plus has a built-in valve in the connector so you don't lose air pressure when you unscrew it.
    You don't lose air with any pump when you unscrew it.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Gonna have to disagree with you there Shawn...I had a pump that would definitely bleed off as it was unscrewed. It was a real PITA and was resolved by getting a Topeak pump with the double thread (one to engage the schrader and one to open the valve).
    whatever...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    Gonna have to disagree with you there Shawn...I had a pump that would definitely bleed off as it was unscrewed. It was a real PITA and was resolved by getting a Topeak pump with the double thread (one to engage the schrader and one to open the valve).
    Then there is something wrong with your valve on your fork/shock. The valve closes from the higher pressure in the fork/shock as soon as you unscrew the pump. The air you hear coming out is from the air in the hose of the pump. You get a lower pressure reading when you screw the pump back on because that same hose fills with air.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Yup, the bleed is from the air in the hose and not the shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got a schwinn pump that my LBS sold me for 30$ used because they didn't have any shock pumps in stock. Its a very nice pump, everything is solid metal and I would feel comfortable dropping it off the top of a building!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Blackburn has one of their toolminators with a shock pump it's small but cool if you need to pump on the road or trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    An air compressor will blow your fork/shock up. Even if you could use an air compressor, you would lose all the air when you check the pressure with a gauge. You have to use shock/fork pump. You never lose air from the fork/shock when you unscrew the pump. The air you hear is the air coming out of the hose of the pump. Don't tighten the pump on to hard.
    Why would an air ompressor blow up your fork/shock? The issuse I have with the air compressor is that mine only goes up to 100 psi. And I don't have any accurate way to change the PSI with such a small volume. If I just wanted 100 PSI everytime then the air compressor would work fine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I use a Sette shock pump. works great

mtbr member
    I've got 3 shock pumps. PM me if you might want to buy one cheap

mtbr member
    I got one of the house brand pumps at performance bicycle on sale for $25, think its called hurricane. Works great and it goes up to 300 psi.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    An air compressor will blow your fork/shock up.
    Whatever the pressure in the tank is (or the setting of the pressure regulator on the hose) that is the max pressure you are going to put in the shock. As long as that is not too much pressure, you will not damage the shock.

You never lose air from the fork/shock when you unscrew the pump. The air you hear is the air coming out of the hose of the pump. Don't tighten the pump on to hard.
    This is correct^^^^
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Whatever the pressure in the tank is (or the setting of the pressure regulator on the hose) that is the max pressure you are going to put in the shock. As long as that is not too much pressure, you will not damage the shock.

This is correct^^^^
    It's the quick shot of high pressure from a large tank into a small shock air chamber that blows the shock or fork. And, if the compressor is on, that makes it worse.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast