mtbr member
    Aug 2004

What are these black tubes in my MX comp air?!

I have an MX comp air that I bought used ('04, 85mm), and it's really stiff, even after letting all the air out of both sides. Since people talk about problems with over-filled Marzocchis, I decided to take off the caps and have a look. What I found were black plastic tubes about 3 inches long on both sides. What are those for? Should they be there? They don't show up in the service manual, but they look like preload spacers from the "coil" version or something. After removing them now I get a lot more travel. Have I removed something vital here? Thanks for your help.

Training for vacation
    If i remember correctly the MX came as a 105 that was internally convertible to an 85 mm fork. Does your manual have info for that conversion? Do you have pics? I just took apart a MX pro eta 03 for a fluid/ seal change and did not see any 3" tubes. I however have the similar problem with low sag / low travel, i refilled to130/130cc of redline mix per PVD.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    older MXs were convertible (by buying a kit from Zoke), not "internally", but by replacing internals...