mtbr member
    Aug 2010

What are the stock springs on manitou circus experts?

I'm looking to make my circus expert forks ride better on a special project bike I have. I've just received the forks and they are very stiff. They seemed like they are tuned to take big hits rather than to absorb minor bumps.

The forks are going on a gunnar rock tour. It's a steel frame touring bike designed for an 80mm travel fork. I choose DJ forks because I figured they'd be very stiff along the x and z axis; perfect for hauling a big load. But they are too damn stiff along the y axis. It's like they don't do anything unless I jump off a curb. I'd like to make them more responsive.

What is the stock spring kit they come with? Firm, medium, or soft? I'd like to try the softest out and see how it suits me.

mtbr member
    Its shimmed like a DJ fork, check out the manitou ABS+ tuning thread, you need to remove some shims out of that thing. Mine had the DJ stack in it when I got it, and it was a rock.

Its probably a medium spring, but go after the shim stack first, its very easy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks one pivot. That thread is a good read.

None of the talk in the thread is about the circus fork though. Of the washers in the shim stack, which do you recommend to make the fork easily compress on high speed hits? The big ones or the smaller ones?

mtbr member
    http://solitone.interfree.it/ABS+%20...03-10-2011.pdf

Theres the pdf for the tuning guide.. which seems to be down right now, but id imagine it'll be back up sometime. You want the "trail" tune more than likely.

The bigger/thicker washers should be removed. I think theres 3 of them in there now, you just want one, and maybe a couple smaller ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks so much man. You're the boss.

BTW, will I need to order more washers?

eBiker
    The Circus fork comes with the FIRM spring as stock.

P

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    So what has more impact on compression, the springs or the dampening system? The bike is going to be quite heavy when loaded almost 300lbs including rider and gear. I want it to ride like a trail fork, but not sag too much.

eBiker
    Spring controls travel, damping controls spring.

Spring is #1 important setting & at 300# you are probably undersprung. But you need to ride to confirm.

Manitou Firm springs are typically for ~180-220#.

It should have air assist on the top of the fork leg to increase end of stroke spring rate. This may work very well for your situation. When fully loaded, active in midstroke, firms up for deep compressions.

Like One Pivot wrote, the shim stack is probably overkill for you, but maybe not with 300#.

P