mtbr member

What size or style of Rear Shock should I be looking for? 2011 Giant Anthem X2 26"

I am really new at looking for rear shocks but I think my shock might be taking a dump on me already. I have a 2011 Giant Anthem x2 26 inch bike and I am 220lbs. I inflate to 200psi and after my ride it would go down to about 160. So I am looking for a shock that would be good for me. I live in Las Vegas so the trails here are pretty rugged. Thank you in advance.

mtbr member
    Have you actually ever had your shock serviced? If it is the original Fox RP2 and you haven't had it serviced it could just need new seals, as they do wear out. Also, a service is going to cost a lot less than buying a new shock. If you do want go the new shock route, all you need to do is measure the i2i and shock stroke and buy whatever you want to put on there (Fox RP23/Rockshox Monarch etc).
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwiplague View Post
    Have you actually ever had your shock serviced? If it is the original Fox RP2 and you haven't had it serviced it could just need new seals, as they do wear out. Also, a service is going to cost a lot less than buying a new shock. If you do want go the new shock route, all you need to do is measure the i2i and shock stroke and buy whatever you want to put on there (Fox RP23/Rockshox Monarch etc).
    Thanks for the response. Can I ask what is "i2i"? I am pretty new at this. Thanks

mtbr member
    eye to eye

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edmorales View Post
    eye to eye
    I am assuming that is the top and bottom holes for install. Thank you

mtbr member
    165 mm for the anthem x me thinks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJITSU View Post
    I am really new at looking for rear shocks but I think my shock might be taking a dump on me already. I have a 2011 Giant Anthem x2 26 inch bike and I am 220lbs. I inflate to 200psi and after my ride it would go down to about 160. So I am looking for a shock that would be good for me. I live in Las Vegas so the trails here are pretty rugged. Thank you in advance.
    Just checking - how do you know it's going down to 160psi? Are you connecting a shock and getting that reading, or is it actually sagging lower after a ride?

mtbr member
    Most air shocks can handle 220lbs with no issues at all. I was 265 and all my shocks worked for years without issue as long as I maintained the seals and I've had Manitou, RockShox, X-Fusion and Fox. I'm more in your weight range now. I have to agree with above, if the air can has not been serviced, you should do that, the seals are typically under $15. This of course assumes the shocks damper is still in good shape. You can get a general idea of the damper condition by listening for swooshing noises as the shock compresses up and down or the adjuster knobs do nothing and the shock feels like a pogo stick while riding. In either of those cases, you may need more than an air can seal rework.