mtbr member
    Dec 2004

What I Didn't Find: Factory Pike RC 30T4 Missing Internal Parts...

So after a year and quite a bit of riding I decided to tear down my Pike to perform a full service. All small bump compliance was gone. So I purchased the full service kit with all the latest o-rings and updated seal head which my fork needed as the original was the faulty one. I used the Service document found on the SRAM site for 2014 and newer Pike Forks (updated).

One of the biggest issues I had from DAY 1 was the compression switch having absolutely no affect on my fork. I used to stare at the small lock symbol and wonder what it meant because on my fork it signified 'no change' outside of the compression switch being rotated all the way counter-clockwise.

What I Didn't Find:  Factory Pike RC 30T4 Missing Internal Parts...-screenshot_2016-01-26-19-05-28_1-%5B6858399%5D.jpg

As you can see in the photo (SRAM service manual) the compression adjuster has an allen protruding from the bottom. This allen engages with the low speed compression needle which screws in and out of the compression damper. MY COMPRESSION ADJUSTER DID NOT HAVE AN ALLEN PIECE CONNECTED TO IT. Wahlah...now I know why my compression adjuster/lever never did anything...

So I took a 2.5mm Allen and used my Dremel to cut off a portion that appeared to be the correct size. Fortunately the adjuster did have a hole in the bottom that appeared to accept a 2.5mm Allen...

Not sure if at the factory they glue the allen in place but I bottomed it out in the hole with a hammer...there was enough friction for it to be held in place without any worries.

After a few tries I was able to get the adjuster to sit down in the top cap correctly... ENGAGED with the COMPRESSION NEEDLE.

I am SHOCKED that nobody at the FACTORY tested the Compression lever and this FORK made it out the DOOR.

What I Didn't Find:  Factory Pike RC 30T4 Missing Internal Parts...-screenshot_2016-01-26-19-05-17_1-%5B6858400%5D.jpg

You will notice a spring on the compression piston. Mine was also lacking this. Now since this is proprietary...I didn't have one laying around...it appears this spring acts as a buffer between the compression piston head and the updated seal head when the shock is fully extended. Not a performance issue in my book unless SRAM tells me otherwise.

AFTER I WAS DONE: Now my fork locks out, feels like a million dollars...better than NEW.

Anyway I wanted everyone to know what I DIDN'T FIND today when rebuilding my PIKE.

I would like to send my story to SRAM but not sure how and if it's even worth my time.

mtbr member
    You could have mine. I run the LSC wide open as I have no need for a lockout. But still surprised that there actually parts missing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    It's not that I need the lockout but it should work as advertised when you spend $1000 on a fork. And not only that but being able to adjust the harshness/plushness and the traction are also removed when the fork isn't built properly...the compression lever does have settings between full open and locked.

It's a shame as I had a lot of confidence in SRAM/Rockshox. It appears with all the issues their suspension products continue to have, due to quality control, they find little value in delivering a solid product...rather they're more focused on lining their pockets with our cash.