mtbr member
    Jun 2007

What happened to the Manitou Swinger 3-way?

I've been thru a few newer shocks (Fox RP2, RP23, Manitou X3, etc), and lately I've been longing for my old Manitou Swinger 3-way with the red SPV air valve on the body end. I still use the Swinger 4-way on a 5-inch trailbike and haven't found another shock as plush or with as effective a platform without being harsh.

With the Swinger 3-way, you could adjust the PLATFORM to the gnat's ass. The only drawback is there was no "lockout", but with a proper platform, you don't need it.

On my current 2 rides (RP2, RP23), it's either NO platform, or a version of factory-set platform. Even Manitou went this route with thier X3 version of their Swinger (don't know if it's still in production?). I don't like ANY of the factory settings.

What was wrong with that old 3-way?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oof_da
    I've been thru a few newer shocks (Fox RP2, RP23, Manitou X3, etc), and lately I've been longing for my old Manitou Swinger 3-way with the red SPV air valve on the body end. I still use the Swinger 4-way on a 5-inch trailbike and haven't found another shock as plush or with as effective a platform without being harsh.

With the Swinger 3-way, you could adjust the PLATFORM to the gnat's ass. The only drawback is there was no "lockout", but with a proper platform, you don't need it.

On my current 2 rides (RP2, RP23), it's either NO platform, or a version of factory-set platform. Even Manitou went this route with thier X3 version of their Swinger (don't know if it's still in production?). I don't like ANY of the factory settings.

What was wrong with that old 3-way?
    Adding air takes more work than flipping a lever. Many complaints about SPV was it lacked small bump compliance. If your riding and bike application like SPV they still sell here and there on ebay.