mtbr member
    Jun 2007

What happened to the Manitou Swinger 3-way?

I've been thru a few newer shocks (Fox RP2, RP23, Manitou X3, etc), and lately I've been longing for my old Manitou Swinger 3-way with the red SPV air valve on the body end. I still use the Swinger 4-way on a 5-inch trailbike and haven't found another shock as plush or with as effective a platform without being harsh.

With the Swinger 3-way, you could adjust the PLATFORM to the gnat's ass. The only drawback is there was no "lockout", but with a proper platform, you don't need it.

On my current 2 rides (RP2, RP23), it's either NO platform, or a version of factory-set platform. Even Manitou went this route with thier X3 version of their Swinger (don't know if it's still in production?). I don't like ANY of the factory settings.

What was wrong with that old 3-way?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by oof_da
    I've been thru a few newer shocks (Fox RP2, RP23, Manitou X3, etc), and lately I've been longing for my old Manitou Swinger 3-way with the red SPV air valve on the body end. I still use the Swinger 4-way on a 5-inch trailbike and haven't found another shock as plush or with as effective a platform without being harsh.

With the Swinger 3-way, you could adjust the PLATFORM to the gnat's ass. The only drawback is there was no "lockout", but with a proper platform, you don't need it.

On my current 2 rides (RP2, RP23), it's either NO platform, or a version of factory-set platform. Even Manitou went this route with thier X3 version of their Swinger (don't know if it's still in production?). I don't like ANY of the factory settings.

What was wrong with that old 3-way?
    Adding air takes more work than flipping a lever. Many complaints about SPV was it lacked small bump compliance. If your riding and bike application like SPV they still sell here and there on ebay.

Members who have read this thread: 0