mtbr member
    May 2011

What to do with my old beloved Fox F80X Terralogic

Hello,

I recently moved, I had a moving company taking care of everything...
    Now a few weeks later I wanted to jump on the bike and take it for a spin but the fork is completely screwed up. Once I hop on the bike, the fork sags down about 15mm, when I put some weight on the fork it almost bottoms out....I've seen traces of oil all over the bike, so I assume the oil is gone and the fork is only sitting on the air shock...

My bike (S-Works) is quite old....I bought it in 2005 or so, but for whatever reason I dont want to get another one....it seems to be perfect for me :-)

So...what to do...? I had it serviced 2 years ago, so another service would be due anyways....

Do you guys think it is worth it to put some more money into the fork or would you buy a new one....I did not follow the technology the last years, so I have no idea if the new forks are much much better than the F80X?

On another note, I tried to find a rebuild kit for the fork to get an idea how much it would cost...I did not find anything...If someone could steer me in the right direction, some online-shop, would be perfect.

Thanks and happy biking.

Alex

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Does the air spring hold air?
    Have you checked your air pressure?
    Fox forks puke oils when wiper seals and crush washers fail-easy fix.
    If the fork still holds air in the air spring a service is simple to do-just replace seals/oil/washers/add fluid on top of air spring.
    If the air spring is failing, it's still usually not a big deal-usually simple part replacement.
    All this can be done yourself for about $50 or less.
    A good shop will charge $70-$100 depending on what needs done.
    "Factory Service" can be done as well:
    Push Industries - FOX 80X/100X&product_id=42

Bike Suspension Service | FOX

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hello,

thanks for the quick reply.
    I havent checked the air pressure but I think it is still ok, meaning the air spring holds air.

Well, if we only talk about $50 in parts I def. would do it.
    Do you know a good online shop where I can get the parts?

Thanks

Alex

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    If the spring holds air, then you shouldn't be going through all the travel once air pressure is properly set.
    Increase the air pressure and see if that takes care of the sag/bottom problem.
    If not, then you air seal is leaking.

For parts, direct from fox for the air seal parts for that fork.
    Google Fox 32 Seal kit and you'll find the wiper.crush washer kits for basic service-no air spring parts included.
    Universal Cycles, is good for online parts, but you can also go direct to Fox.
    You can go to a moto shop and get moto suspension oil for the oil change-saves abit of $ and works fine.
    Fox lists all the specs for most models on their site.
    Lots of how to vidoes out there on Fox Fork service.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    alright, I'm going to check the air pressure tomorrow.
    Thanks for all the info, it is much appreciated.

Alex

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The timing of your post is great. Hoping I can jump in here with you. I happen to have the exact same fork and the same year- 2005. My seals are gone and I was going to a seal and oil change. BTW- the seal kit you need is pn 803-00-079.

The thing I am struggling with is that the manual covers about 20 different forks, so doesn't have the greatest info.

I have a few questions:
    1) How much oil do I need to add on reassembly to each side of the fork
    2) Do I just add it thru the hole on the bottom of the lower assembly that the rods come thru? I saw one Fox service publication that possibly suggested that you added fluid to two different locations on the oil side of the fork. Here is the link to that page. (OK- I tried to post the link but my post count isn't high enough yet)
    3) How important is it to use Fox fluid. I read one article where a guy said you could use moto fluid and it worked the same. I am assuming that 7wt is the correct weight?

Hopefully this info will prove useful to your task and you won't mind me jumping in on your thread. Here is the video that I found that seemed fairly relevant to our fork. (Again, couldn't post the video, but if you search youtube for a video called "Competitive Cyclist shows you how to overhaul your Fox forks and shocks" you'll find it.)

Thanks in advance to anyone that has any advice.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So I dug up the info I was looking for and thought I would share it:

1. The fork takes 7 wt oil (this is the only Fox fork that takes 7wt oil) and you can use moto oil if you want. If you do, Fox recommends Torco brand.
    2. The air side gets 20ml
    3. The oil/ damper side gets 150ml
    4. All the oil is put in through the bolt holes in the bottom of the fork.

Other than that, the video I referenced earlier shows the procedure perfectly.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Now that my post count is high enough, I thought I would link to the video.