Chicharronero
    Jan 2004

What to buy Manitou minute one or three.....

Because I am about to buy a Manitou Minute, I need suggestions about wich one to buy.....

I have a YETI ASR 03 with a Manitou XVERT 01 fork and want to upgrade my bike with the Minute....I ride 15 to 18 miles 3 or 4 times a week, we do a lot of fast descending in rough terrain and technical climbing and the group of people I ride with don`t like to make to many stops so I think it would be important to change travel as fast as possible.....but may be the most important thing would be to have a fork as plush and responsive as my XVERT (coild spring). Do you think will be any difference between the plushness and confidence of air spring (minute 3) and coil spring (minute one).....this is becoming a really hard decission for me. I will appreciate if you share your thoughts........thanks
    Edinolas

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar Nolasco
    Because I am about to buy a Manitou Minute, I need suggestions about wich one to buy.....
    I think adjustable travel is way overrated. I have a Sherman Breakout which I can lower 2" but I rarely use that feature. It's just too much of a hassle and when compressed, the fork gets really stiff and doesn't absorb any bumps. This is the way the Minute 3:00 works. I'd go with the Minute 1:00 because of the coil, not because of the RTWD. The air spring of the 3:00 is just a tad too progressive (ie. compresses a lot when JRL).

Chicharronero
    Jan 2004

thanks for your advise........

Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    I think adjustable travel is way overrated. I have a Sherman Breakout which I can lower 2" but I rarely use that feature. It's just too much of a hassle and when compressed, the fork gets really stiff and doesn't absorb any bumps. This is the way the Minute 3:00 works. I'd go with the Minute 1:00 because of the coil, not because of the RTWD. The air spring of the 3:00 is just a tad too progressive (ie. compresses a lot when JRL).
    Thanks for your advise.....I thought that the rate of the spring remained the same when changing travel...........
    Edinolas

mtbr member
    Thanks for your advise.....I thought that the rate of the spring remained the same when changing travel...........
    It does on the 1:00, but I don't know if that is a good thing. When I change the travel on my Vanilla fork, I need to use a stiffer (when decreasing travel) of lighter (when increasing travel) spring to keep the fork from bottoming out. And that is only a 20mm adjustment, so the 30mm adjustment you get on the 1:00 is most certainly going to affect this, unless they (Manitou) have installed a cunning device that slightly increases the spring rate.

On a sidenote: Has anyone ever tried to activate the travel adjuster on teh Minute 3:00 with their foot? It is on the bottom of one of the forklegs, so reaching for it is dangerous. But I think it could be activated with your foot.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

... and if we just ... The adjustability issue....

I have a YETI ASR 03 with a Manitou XVERT 01 fork and want to upgrade my bike with the Minute....I ride 15 to 18 miles 3 or 4 times a week, we do a lot of fast descending in rough terrain and technical climbing and the group of people I ride with don`t like to make to many stops so I think it would be important to change travel as fast as possible.....but may be the most important thing would be to have a fork as plush and responsive as my XVERT (coild spring). Do you think will be any difference between the plushness and confidence of air spring (minute 3) and coil spring (minute one).....this is becoming a really hard decission for me. I will appreciate if you share your thoughts........thanks
    I think travel adjustability is very cool! It helps you steepen up the head angle when you are climbing. I think you bike would be a bit of a chopper in the 130mm mode when climbing; however, in 110mm it would climb wonderfully.

My .02.,

Jaybo

Chrome Toaster
    The Minute 3 isn't exactly meant to be an on the fly adjustable fork. You either run it at 100mm or at 130mm. You need to tune it individually depending on what you will ride. If you set it up for 100mm it will be very soft and mushy and will rebound very slow when switched to 130mm. If you adjust it at 130mm reducing it to 100mm will cause the air chamber volume to decrease making the fork very stiff and will rebound way faster. Its pretty nice if you run it at 130 and then flip it to 100 for climbing since it will be lower and stiffer but other than that its not ideal for on the trail adjustability. The Minute 1 will be a better choice for this. Also consider that the Minute 3 DOES have a small coil assist which is based around the 130mm version. The 100mm minute 2 uses a slightly shorter softer spring. Basically in 100mm the stock Minute 3 will still be stiffer than the stock 100mm Minute 2 due to the coil. Oh, yeah, there is NO WAY IN HELL the travel adjust can be activated with your foot on this fork

viva la v-brakes!

I chose Minute Three

Quote Originally Posted by zonoskar
    Has anyone ever tried to activate the travel adjuster on teh Minute 3:00 with their foot? It is on the bottom of one of the forklegs, so reaching for it is dangerous. But I think it could be activated with your foot.
    Dude I hope you're joking, sounds pretty dangerous. Only takes 10 seconds to stop, compress the fork slightly and make the travel switch.

I went with the Minute Three because it was lighter and I liked the idea of having adjustable travel. So far it has worked out pretty well. I set it up so it's slightly stiff with 100 mm of travel and slightly soft with 130 mm of travel. This way I can switch the fork for current trail conditions. The shorter travel works well for climbing and smoother, faster trails while the 130 setting is better for downhills and rougher trails. Also I get jacked up a bit over an inch and my head tuble angle decreases a degree when switching to the longer travel setting, which makes the bike more stable.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

Chicharronero
    Jan 2004

Very interesting comments......and.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hecubus
    The Minute 3 isn't exactly meant to be an on the fly adjustable fork. You either run it at 100mm or at 130mm. You need to tune it individually depending on what you will ride. If you set it up for 100mm it will be very soft and mushy and will rebound very slow when switched to 130mm. If you adjust it at 130mm reducing it to 100mm will cause the air chamber volume to decrease making the fork very stiff and will rebound way faster. Its pretty nice if you run it at 130 and then flip it to 100 for climbing since it will be lower and stiffer but other than that its not ideal for on the trail adjustability. The Minute 1 will be a better choice for this. Also consider that the Minute 3 DOES have a small coil assist which is based around the 130mm version. The 100mm minute 2 uses a slightly shorter softer spring. Basically in 100mm the stock Minute 3 will still be stiffer than the stock 100mm Minute 2 due to the coil. Oh, yeah, there is NO WAY IN HELL the travel adjust can be activated with your foot on this fork
    Do you think the feeling of plushness and responsiveness are the same for both Minute one and three when they are at 130 mm?
    Last edited by Edgar Nolasco; 02-17-2004 at 07:54 AM. Reason: adding info
    Edinolas

Chrome Toaster
    Do you think the feeling of plushness and responsiveness are the same for both Minute one and three when they are at 130 mm?
    I really can't answer that since I have yet to ride a Minute 1 but my guess is the coil version would be a bit smoother than the M3.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The travel adjust on the 1 and 3 are not on the fly. Both require you to stop and adjust the fork, the Sherman on the other hand is on the fly adjust and is now 130-90 so more adjustment than a Minute and on the fly.
    I on the other hand went for the Minute 2 as I soon loose interest in flicking switches and twiddling travel adjusters, I'd sooner be riding
    The air system feels even smoother than the coil to me as the range of adjustment is larger, I am basing this on a SPV Sherman and the Minute 2 both of which I've ridden. I had real problems getting enough sag from the Sherman and that was fitted with the soft spring-I weigh around 160, so I bought the Minute 2 instead so far so good.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I timed myself on how long it takes me to adjust my Minute One from 100mm to 130mm. Total time: about five seconds. I wasn’t fiddling furiously, just turning the knob quickly.

I can’t imagine taking that much less time to get to the adjuster on the bottom of the fork leg on the Minute Three, flip the switch and then compress the fork

Five seconds shouldn’t throw you that far off the pace (if you rode at MY pace…>8P ). If it’s a short climb, then don’t bother to adjust it down.

I guess Manitou had the foresight to make three different models so everybody can choose which is right for them.

BTW: The spring rate does not change (at least not enough to notice) on the Minute One like it does on a fork like the Black Comp which is equipped with Rapid Travel II (on which the spring rate changes a LOT when adjusted).

Mini-Rant: You’re certainly entitled to feel differently, but if my so-called “friends” “had issues” because I stopped for five seconds to adjust my fork, I’d look for new friends to ride with or just ride alone - but that’s just ME.
    Last edited by jeffj; 02-18-2004 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarify content

26er

minute 3 was my choice

Saw a little weight and gain a nice ride. I like the one flip switch on the minute 3 and I will even do it on a very slow roll, just reach down and flip and then compress. There is a pretty good price difference between the two shocks but since I have the 4 way swinger in the back I decided to go full air and have not regretted it. The forks seems just as plush in 100 or 130 also.
    Live to ride!

Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 1
    Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    Transition Bottle Rocket
    Niner MCR 29er Hardtail