mtbr member

What air shock for a 3:1 ratio Mountain Cycle San Andreas?

I have a '96 Mountain Cycle San Andreas that just won't die, So, I am again giving it a new lease on life with some new parts. I put a RS Revelation air fork on it and I would like the replace the 6.5" x 1.5" Stratos Helix Pro shock with something better. I have never had a complaint with this shock, I have two of them, but I know there is something more modern to match the RS fork. I would like a Cane Creek Coud Nine or a 5th Element Air. These are good, light shocks that are esay to take care of and I can pick up a NOS or a good used one on Ebay for little $. But, I am told that these shocks don't work well on the San Andreas because of the 3:1 leverage ratio of the single pivot design. I guess with the 3:1 ratio, the shock piston speed is to slow for the air to provide the necessary damping. But, then I have heard of other people who swear by these shocks on a SA. So, I'm not sure what to believe. Can these shocks be tuned to work well on the SA? Are there any air shocks that would work well on a 3:1 ratio rear suspension system?

mtbr member
    No experts out there with an answer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd contact a suspension tuner for expert advice ie. PUSH, Suspension Experts etc. I'd contact Cane Creek as well and see what they say about the Cloud 9.

mtbr member
    I've got the perfect shock for you! X-Fusion-Shox O2PVA. I've got them on closeout pricing for $120 plus tax(if in CA) & shipping. Contact me via email: jvalera@x-fusion-shox.com
    X-FUSION-SHOX
    USA Sales & Service Mgr.

Pain is only temporary but Glory is FOREVER!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaprider4Life
    I've got the perfect shock for you! X-Fusion-Shox O2PVA. I've got them on closeout pricing for $120 plus tax(if in CA) & shipping. Contact me via email: jvalera@x-fusion-shox.com
    Tell me why it's perfect. Come on, sell me on it!

Former Bike Wrench
    I had one on a Jamis with a 2.5:1 shock ratio and if FAR out performed the Fox Float R it replaced. Four position compression damper was nice, it didn't wallow in its travel, used the full stroke, and was quite reliable.

I can't speak for a 3:1 but maybe with their high volume sleeve to get a more linear stroke would be a good choice.

BC
    mtbr member
    Seems like fox recommends a max of 3:1, so you should be good with any of their models.

mtbr member
    I sent you an e-mail, but I don't see it in my outbox. I have a new laptop with Windows 7 and I'm still getting used to it. if you didn't get it, post here or PM me so we can get the ball rolling.
    Thanks,
    Shawn

mtbr member
    I ordered the X-fusion 02PVA today. It should be a really good shock.