Ride Responsibly

Warp? Oil weight & volume for 5th Element Air

My shock is getting weird and needs service. Rather do it myself if possible.
    I found excellent and encouraging pictures of a Progressive 5th Element Air being torn down on Warps website,
    http://www.freewebs.com/warpweb/shocksguts.htm
    But I did not find any info on oil weights or volumes. Or any text that might tell what lubricants can be used.
    Do they even use oil for dampening?
    Do I just check for broken parts then clean and put everything back together?
    Seeking as much info as possible before I open it up.
    Thanks
    Lyle

"El Whatever"
    As stated in my website, for oil volumes and rebuild instructions, download and follow the procedures for the Manitou Swinger 3-Way Air.

One thing... there are NO spares available! I'd recommend you to send it over isotuned.com (Drake Thomas on this site) or any other tuner that still service these.

If you break a seal (like I did the second time I tried a rebuild) you're pretty much SOL.

Use 5wt oil and you will use whatever it takes to fill it up, plus whatever you spill. So be generous on that side. At any rate, shock oil comes usually in quart bottles. The Swinger Service Manual has the procedure for filling up the damper with oil. Follow those instructions by the letter.

Also, note that you will have to improvise some tooling.

Best of lucks!!
    Check my Site

Ride Responsibly
    Thanks Warp,
    I looked on your site for the swinger info, did not check other sources (stupid is as stupid does).
    I will find and follow those instructions.
    I am already saving up to buy an Fox to replace the Progressive, just wanted to see if I could get it working better till I can afford the fox.
    The Progressive has gotten to the point where any rebound setting off center causes it to compress, then rebound at a rate of an inch per minute. Not good!
    Thanks again.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    Thanks Warp,
    I looked on your site for the swinger info, did not check other sources (stupid is as stupid does).
    I will find and follow those instructions.
    I am already saving up to buy an Fox to replace the Progressive, just wanted to see if I could get it working better till I can afford the fox.
    The Progressive has gotten to the point where any rebound setting off center causes it to compress, then rebound at a rate of an inch per minute. Not good!
    Thanks again.
    You've got air in the damper... mine did the same thing until rebuilt.

Nothing to thank for, always happy to help...
    Check my Site

Ride Responsibly
    Well it works again! Not sure how long though as I scored the dampener shaft on the second attempt.
    First try I thought all went relatively good. Got the can off, cut a groove into a 5/8 socket to remove the cap that screws into the dampener body, cleaned everything, added fork oil and reassembled.
    ABSOLUTELY NO REBOUND! I bounced once on the bike and it just kept bouncing!
    OK, attempt number two!
    This time I scored the damn shaft even though I used aluminum jaws in the vise, CRAP! Sanded it all nice and smooth again but I know it will not last. This time instead of filling the body then inserting the dampener valve, I filled half the body, inserted the valve and filled to the top. Screwed the air piston into the body, pulled the shaft all the way up and filled it with more oil. Now the Swinger instructions say to slide the air can up to the adjuster cap. On the first try I just pushed the cap down to the can as the can did not want to slide up the dampener body. Some kind of vacuum lock going on. Second try I managed to muscle it up into place.
    Now the rebound adjuster does what it is supposed to, fast on one end, slow on the other!
    Now kids listen up. Fathers Day is coming and Daddy needs a new Fox R!