mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Wanted: inexpensive suspension fork, 1 inch threaded

I'd like to convert my sweetie's older aluminum Raleigh MTB from it's rigid fork to a suspension fork. It's a 14 inch frame so steerer tube would be short, I can measure precisely if needed.

Any suggestions what I should be looking for, and where to look? This is mostly to make her commute more comfy, it's on dirt road and a bit of trail.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a Rock Shox Judy on my old Fat Chance (white fork with red stickers). It's a 1 inch steerer, but it is threadless. Let me know if you would be interested in something like that.

Former Bike Wrench
    Honestly a better option is as large a front tire that will fit in the fork and keep the pressure down <30 psi.

You can get RST forks in 1" threaded, but they are very heavy and don't work very well. In addition they are not compatible with older canti brakes if that is what you using (V-brakes needed).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would swap the headset and run 1" threadless. Those are somewhat easier to find than 1" threaded

mtbr member
    not quite cheep but it is new-http://www.amazon.com/RST-T6-Suspension-threaded-steerer/dp/B000FIDKSQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1292986926&sr=1-2

and here is the threadless version http://www.amazon.com/RST-T6-Black-t...987278&sr=1-17
    "A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."
    Steve Martin

mtbr member
    Where do you live? I'll just give you a "revived" Mag 30 fork (McGyvered the air valve so it'll hold air). You just need to paint it (I polished it and now it's tarnished) and helicoil one of the brake bosses.

I won't ship... too much of a hassle.