mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Want to replace stock Radium R rear shock on Ironhorse MKIII Comp, any issues?

I've come across a 2003 Fox Talas Rear shock for pretty cheap and am thinking about replacing the stock MANITOU RADIUM R AIR, 7.5"X2" that came on my '06 MKIII Comp.

I'm trying to learn about any issues that I might have switching to a new rear shock. Can anyone explain the sizing measurements to me? The Manitou says (7.5" x 2 ") & I'm trying to figure out the measurements on the Fox to make sure that it's compatible with my frame.

Any other issues I may run across?

Also, when it comes to servicing a rear shock how often are the maintenance intervals generally? Avg cost of servicing such a shock would be would help me out too.

Please enlighten me, I'm naive, thanks.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    The rear shock I'm thinking of is a 2003 Fox Talas, anybody know if this shock is 7.5" eye to eye & 2"

www.derbyrims.com
    Ask the seller what size it is. 7.5 x 2 is a common size, there are other sizes too.

There would be no advantage lowering the rear travel with an adjustable travel Talas shock on the MKiii. It pedals and climbs just fine with full travel. If the Talas fits it is probably a little better over the bumps than the stock RS Pearl.

Try the IH forum too. There are very knowledgeable MKiii riders there.
    Last edited by derby; 06-06-2007 at 09:53 PM.

"El Whatever"
    The TALAS is variable in eye-to-eye lenght... that may be a problem with your frame.

Also, it was ubercomplicated and prone to failure. Think about it, there's a reason why Fox simply discontinued it.

Push doesn't service them to start with and you should be tied to Fox mainly.
    Check my Site

Former Bike Wrench
    I may be off on this, but I believe Manitou uses a different eyelet diameter than Fox or X-Fusion (which are the same). SO...if you choose something other than Manitou, you should keep in mind that you may need new mounting hardware to go with the new shock.

As it is, I don't see how the Talas would be an upgrade over the Radium, as I know first hand (I owned a 2003 Hollowpoint) that the DW-Link bikes pedal just fine at full travel.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    I may be off on this, but I believe Manitou uses a different eyelet diameter than Fox or X-Fusion (which are the same). SO...if you choose something other than Manitou, you should keep in mind that you may need new mounting hardware to go with the new shock.
    Indeed.
    Check my Site

Harky
    Jan 2006

Hardware troubles...

Check out the Iron Horse forum for a complete lesson on rear shock options.
    Bottom line ... the easiest improvement would be staying with a Manitou design...like a 3-way. The bushes will swap no problem. You will also read that a non-platform shock will work just fine on the Iron Horse. But my experience (I have 2 IH bikes) is that the platform helps stabilize the rear for hard pedalling (either spinning on a climb or up and hammering).
    I don't know anything about the Radium, but the 3-way on my 04 Hollowpoint and the 5th Element on my 06 MK3 have worked very well with little to no maintneance.
    The best thing you can do to keep them working reliably is keep them clean, lube the moving parts, and keep the air settings within the mfr's recommended ranges.